PDA

View Full Version : My gear list

Mad Hatter 08
12-07-2007, 22:57
This is what I have please give me your opinions.

Item BoughtBrand ModelWeightWt incTentMSRHubba Hubba64OzBootsVasqueSwitchbacks40OzFilterKatadynVa rio15OzStoveJetboilGCS19OzBagWestern MountaineeringSuper Ultralight26OzPadPacific OutdoorEther ET67221OzCamelbakCamelbakUnbottle 3.013OzNalgeneNalgene1l bottle6OzPolesSwiss Gear 16OzHeadlampPetzlMyo xp9OzUtensilsSnow PeakSct-0022OzPackGregoryDeva 6082OzFirst Aid 11OzKnifeLeatherman 16Oz Oz Oz Oz OzTotals21.3Lbs

I am still looking for some items so this isn't a final list.

Mad Hatter 08
12-07-2007, 22:59
this is not how it looked when i typed it so i hope you can read it. what other hardware items can you all think of. I'm still planning my clothing "software" stuff.

JAK
12-07-2007, 23:12
If you 'Go Advanced' there is a 'Preview Post' feature.
There is also an attach file feature someplace.
Otherwise I'm not sure of easiest way to do lists and tables.

Do some trial and error using the 'Preview Post' feature. Cheers.

Appalachian Tater
12-08-2007, 00:50
Can't read it, looks like your pack alone weighs 6,082 ounces. You're probably not going to make it with a pack that heavy, it's over 380 pounds. Try reposting , please.

4eyedbuzzard
12-08-2007, 00:53
...looks like your pack alone weighs 6,082 ounces. You're probably not going to make it with a pack that heavy, it's over 380 pounds...

Damn gram weenies...

warraghiyagey
12-08-2007, 00:56
Hey Liz, try to hit return between items. It works for me. :)
By the way, good list, I especially like the Therehreo97238hfhalkwo93920ister. Looks good.:p

Mad Hatter 08
12-08-2007, 01:23
so lets retry this i think its because i copied it from exel and it would let me delete spaces and mess with it originally

Tent MSR Hubba Hubba 64Oz
Boots Vasque Switchbacks 40Oz
Filter Katadyn Vario15Oz
Stove Jetboil GCS 19Oz
Bag Western Mountaineering Super Ultralight 26Oz
Pad Pacific Outdoor Ether ET672 21Oz
Camelbak Unbottle 3.0 13Oz
Nalgene 1l bottle 6Oz
Poles Swiss Gear 16Oz
Headlamp Petzl Myo xp 9Oz
Utensils Snow Peak Sct-002 2Oz
Pack Gregory Deva 60 82Oz
First Aid 11Oz
Knife Leatherman 16Oz
Totals21.Lbs

warraghiyagey
12-08-2007, 01:28
You're sure to get some ultra-lighter feedback liz but that looks like some pretty sweet gear. Nice work. Umm, the leatherman might be a bit much, my foldable blade does everythig and is 4 oz.
Have a great hike.:)

Mad Hatter 08
12-08-2007, 01:33
i love my leatherman though i already use it almost very single day

Appalachian Tater
12-08-2007, 01:34
Do you already have this stuff? When are you leaving? NOBO or SOBO? There are gearlists on this site and others you might look at.

Skip the Nalgene, get a wide-mouth bottle like Gatorade, Aquafinia, or tonic water. Weighs less, cheaper. Or get a Platypus.
That headlamp sounds very heavy, it shouldn't weigh more than 2 oz, try a Tikka Plus or one of the lighter ones.
That pack sounds big and heavy. Think about something lighter. Also, 11 oz for first aid sounds heavy unless you have a chronic illness for which you are carrying supplies, say diabetes, asthma, allergies, etc.
That lLeatherman sounds heavy, if you want a leatherman try the squirt or whatever they call the tiny one. Probably you just need a small blade, fingernail clippers & file, tweezers, maybe some little scissors, and POSSIBLY a screwdriver, allen wrench, etc. depending on your equipment, probably not.
I'm not sure what that Snow Peak utensil is. All you need is a plastic spoon from the outfitter, less than an oz and under a dollar. maybe with the Jetboil you need a longer spoon. Also jetboil sounds heavy, maybe think about a small pot, alcohol stove, etc.

You also some clothes, toiletries, food. Maybe even a sleeping pad.

Study the articles section of this website, there are some good basic articles on gear. Usually you just get opinion but in the articles there are rationales.

Also earplugs. Mustn't forget the earplugs.

4eyedbuzzard
Dump the nalgene - use old soda/water/gatorade bottles. Same with the camelback. Get a lighter bladder or use old plastic bottles.

Dump the leatherman if you must just take a mini tool. A small lightweight knife like a 2" gerber is all that's needed.

Pare down the first aid kit to 4 oz or less.

Tinker
You could use a lighter knife, a Gatorade bottle instead of your Nalgene hard bottle, a lighter pack (I use a frameless pack, though many prefer a frame). Your tent is nice, but could be lighter, your pad is heavy (look at Thermarest Prolite series, or closed cell foam, 3/4 length, and put clothing in your pack and use that to insulate your legs and feet from the ground; your headlamp is twice to three times heavier than one which will work under all conditions forseeable on the trail.
I'm not sure about your utensils, but you can get by with a Lexan spoon.
Swiss Gear poles, I believe, are a department store item and, if so, probably won't last very long though you could start a hike with them. First aid kit is heavy for a solo hiker. Some disinfectant (iodine), sterile wipes, and a few band-aids are all I carry. With a bandanna to use as a tourniquet, you will probably have everything you need (oh, yes, ibuprofen is a must).

Appalachian Tater
12-08-2007, 01:38
Don't use a tourniquet unless blood is gushing out so much that you are going to die from blood loss. Pretty much. But you can use your bandana to cover your head to keep the deer flies from biting the back of your neck.

PJ 2005
12-08-2007, 01:59
Ah, swiss gear poles! Very nice :-)

JAK
12-08-2007, 02:00
I don't mind favourite gear, but there are some things I try and watch for. I would like to see the insulation in a bag or quilt be at least 50% of its weight. I would like to see insulation and food make up most of your carried weight. I'm not saying you should carry more or less neccessarily, but maybe exchange some items for more insulation and food. Consider how handy you will find all that metal and plastic when its freezing rain, compared to say a heavy wool sweater under your light rain gear, and extra raisins and granola bars.

WhoAh
12-08-2007, 22:18

Don't forget the earplugs.... I forgot the earplugs.... lesson learned.... don't forget the earplugs...

hopefulhiker
12-09-2007, 09:02
I liked using the Platypus. Also 11 oz for your first aid kit? I would look at that and maybe reduce the volumes and have some of that stuff mail dropped up the road..

Also Why are you taking a two man tent? You could save half that weight with a one man...

4eyedbuzzard
12-09-2007, 09:06

Or just learn to snore louder to drown out the other folks.:D

StarLyte
12-09-2007, 09:11
Doesn't matter if your weight is over, or too much gear. You'll ship something back home anyways, or dump it at Neels Gap. OR...at Springer :rolleyes: if you're hiking up from Amicalola. :D

Take anything you want.

Good luck - and have fun.

Hooch
12-09-2007, 11:12
so lets retry this i think its because i copied it from exel and it would let me delete spaces and mess with it originally

Filter Katadyn Vario15Oz
Stove Jetboil GCS 19Oz
Nalgene 1l bottle 6Oz
Poles Swiss Gear 16Oz
First Aid 11Oz
Knife Leatherman 16Oz
Totals21.Lbs

These are just ideas, feel free to critique them or take them or leave them. :D

If it's just you, switch to a one person tent, such the Big Agnes Seedhouse 1. 45 oz.

They're your feet, if they work for you and are comfortable, then stick with 'em.

Filter Katadyn Vario15Oz
You could look at something like the MSR HyperFlow. Filters 3 liters of water per minute and comes in at 7.4 oz.

Stove Jetboil GCS 19Oz
Personally, I use the MSR PocketRocket/Titan Kettle combo. 7.2 oz, excluding fuel.

Fairly light bag, stick with it if it works for you.

The Therm-A-Rest RidgeRest short is a good model to consider. Use folded clothes to insulate your legs/feet. 9 oz.

Do yourself a favor and ditch this completely.

Nalgene 1l bottle 6Oz
Loose the traditional Nalgene for backpacking use.I keep one at work to drink from, but that's it. Go with a couple Platypus PlatyBottles. 0.8 oz each.

Poles Swiss Gear 16Oz
These are generally pretty cheap and won't last long. Replac them when they wear out. Trust me, it won't be long.

Go with a Petzl Tikka Plus. It has 3 light levels, adjustable beam and strobe setting for emergencies. 3.1 oz

I like the Light My Fire spork. Works for me and only 0.3 oz.

Maybe try a pack of comparable capacity like the REI Cruise UL 60. 50 oz for the medium size.

First Aid 11Oz
As a medical professional, you should need a first aid kit that weighs in at not much more than 4 oz. All you really need is a few band aids of varying sizes, some neosporin ointment, a couple 4x4's, moleskin, a couple safety pins, ibuprofen (If allergic, use the painreliever/anti-inflammatory of choice, but avoid narcotics) and any medications for problems you may have such as asthma, allergies, etc.

Knife Leatherman 16Oz
Maybe a Leatherman Kick? 5.2 oz.

Totals21.Lbs
My Totals = Less than 14 lbs. :D

Appalachian Tater
12-09-2007, 11:25
Here's the Leatherman you want, they call it the Micra, under 2 oz:
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?AFC-googlebase&productId=13839&engine=googlebase&keyword=81066
Unfortunately, you still need fingernail clippers. Lots of people have their toenails fall off and keeping them cut short so they don't receive trauma helps prevent that from happening.

mountain squid
12-09-2007, 11:32

Totals21.Lbs

For what you have listed this seems to be fairly heavy, by the time you add food and clothing... Seriously consider the advice already offered and try to lighten your load before hitting the trail. Otherwise, as StarLyte mentioned you might be mailing things home from Neels Gap...

is that JetBoil the one for groups? you only need something for yourself

See you on the trail,
mt squid

jtbradyl
12-14-2007, 22:18
For a first aid kit all you need is some aspirin, 2 inch wide athletic tape and some gauze. For a band aid all I do is cut a piece of gauze large enough to cover the wound and then splt the tape in half and cut to a length I think is enough to secure the gauze. An instant band aid. I treat blisters the same. the tape can also be used to treat sprains using compression to minimise swelling when ice isn't availalable, ie. an athletic wrap. The athletic tape (or duct tape) can be used for splints. More serious injuries require a visit to the hospital or a doctor you meet on the trail who brings his kit.

buckowens
12-15-2007, 09:51
i love my leatherman though i already use it almost very single day

Leatherman has a new lighter tool coming out in February called the "Skeletool", which weighs in at 5 ounces. Here is an article in Popular Mechanics: http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/home_journal_news/4221370.html

I would have never believed it, but I sent home about 8 pounds between my daughter and I at Neel's Gap. They are very used to this and make it a pretty painless process.

River Runner
12-17-2007, 02:32
I agree with what most of the others have said. I'd go even lighter on the knife. I've never needed more than my Swiss Army Classic, which is under an ounce.

I would not go with the Vario. I tested one for BackpackGearTest.org, and had problems with it, and it's heavy for a filter for a solo hiker. I'd probably take chemicals and maybe an inline filter or even a filter bottle for quick drinking if I didn't want to wait 30 minutes or so for chemicals to work. Even if you want a traditional pump style filter, there are lighter options than the Vario.

take-a-knee
12-17-2007, 10:42
This is the filter I use:

http://www.seychelle.com/Prodselect.asp?RepID=10001&CategoryID=386&BasketID=

It is plumbed into a camelback hose with the shutoff at the opposite end of the filter. Each end of the hose has a right angle cap for a Platypus and I use a 70oz platypus to fill, attach the hose and hang the platy, and it drips into another 70oz platy. A hole punch is used in the bottom edge of the platys to make holes for a hang cord.

Also, don't take any knife that has a blade that doesn't lock.

the_iceman
12-17-2007, 12:21
I like the Deva pack and saw a lot on the trail. Gregory has good support as well. The pack is small but that is what you want. It forces you to not take junk.

The leatherman is heavy. I carried a 3.0 oz single blade folding knife and a Ti spoon and never wished for more. You do not need a spoon, fork, and butter knife just a spoon or spork.

I dumped my pump for Aquamira in the end and would probably go with the drops from the start next time around. Saved almost a pound.

I got the unbottle and loved it but lose the insulated cover since your pack probably has a hyradtion sleeve. Also add the apater to hook a pump right to it. It gives you a shutoff valve and an easy way to remove you bite valve.

I used the swiss gear poles for 2/3rd of the trail. They are great!! Many other people used them as well. At $20 a pair you can buy a new pair a month and still save money but chances are you may need only to replace them once. I did and WalMArt gave me the replacements FREE!!!

Jetboil is a good choice. I think it was the #1 stove on the trail this year. I got the PCS originally but carried the pot instead. The cup is too narrow and burns too easily.

You already own the tent but a Big Agnes Seed House SL-2 weighs less than the 1 person Hubba. An SL-1 is an even bigger savings. I took the SL-2 for the extra room and loved it. Last year it was the lightest per square inch of floor space tent I could find that. Plus it is dual walled in free standing. A lot of single wall tent people had condensation issues.

Get bandaids, neosporin, vitamin I, a roll of NEXcare tape and maybe a few blister pads. That is all you will use. You can throw in a pack of Steri-Strips.

Carry a sewing kit like they give away at hotels. I loaned mine out a lot.

Good choice of sleeping bag (Brand) - what is the rating??

Duct tape - wrap it around your poles.

Swap the nalgene for a 1 liter sports drink bottle - wide mouth. Weighs a lot less and can be replaced easily. The wide mouth makes for easy mixing.

I carried a 3 liter platy for my camp water. Fragile but convenient.

Just a note for weight planning. 3 liters of water weighs about 6.5 pounds.

the_iceman
12-17-2007, 12:33
I had zero probelms with my camlebak and went through 3 platypuses and I only used those in camp. More than one hiker this year wound up with a pack full of water when their platypus let go.

one outfitter told me that he sees dozens of failed platy's each year compared to a few camelbaks.

If it is going in my pack (with water in it), it is a camelbak.

If my life depends on it, it is a camelbak.

If it is an extra convenience for camp than the lighter, less durable, platy is perfect.

partinj
12-17-2007, 13:49
Hi i plan on taking my Nalgene bottle and this is why i am starting on Feb 5 2008. I try the soad and Gatorade bottles they freeze up really fast and if you drop them you loose all your water i drop my nalgene many time never ever broke even when frozen.Can say the same about the Gatorade or soad bottles just my two cent worth

troglobil
12-17-2007, 16:52
Don't be so hard on the Platyus. I use the 1 liter ones caving, that pack gets abused big time, it get thrown, dropped, squished, & sat on. I have only gotten small pin holes near the neck in the platy after repeated folding over a years worth of caving. I have never had one burst.

the_iceman
12-17-2007, 18:12
Don't be so hard on the Platyus. I use the 1 liter ones caving, that pack gets abused big time, it get thrown, dropped, squished, & sat on. I have only gotten small pin holes near the neck in the platy after repeated folding over a years worth of caving. I have never had one burst.

I have had them get leaks just getting knocked over in the shelter.

One thing that most people do not realize is the tried and true stuff you "use all the time" on week long or weekend jaunts takes a real beating when you use it 160 days straight. Equipment on a thru-hike gets 20 years of "normal wear" in a single season.

I was told by a pack maker that a particular pack was not "desgined for a thru-hike". A boot maker that boots "were not designed for a thru-hike". Why, becasue they are not designed for 160 days of use???

We know the trail was not designed to thru-hike becasue people say it here all the time. And some days when you get to camp you just know your body was not designed to thru-hike. :D