PDA

View Full Version : IQ loss and hiking

Lugnut
12-08-2007, 01:10
I read an item today that stated a person suffers a temporary 20 point drop in their IQ rating after a three week vacation. The apparent result of not having to think too deeply for 21 days. This doesn't bode well for long distance hikers especially if repeated exposure causes a permanent condition. I'm pretty sure I have seen evidence of this happening. :eek:

Tinker
12-08-2007, 01:12
Huh????:-? :p

4eyedbuzzard
12-08-2007, 01:13
How many points does it drop after spending three weeks on an internet discussion board?:-? :eek:

warraghiyagey
12-08-2007, 01:14
Dumb thread.

Jimmers
12-08-2007, 01:18
Hmm, could explain a few things....

JAK
12-08-2007, 01:22
Ya know I can actually see that.
Smarter in the long run though I'll bet.

Actually on the other hand I am not sure it applies to long distance hikes like it might on a 'normal' vacation. Must depend on what you are doing on vacation. Mind can be very active while hiking. Still, I can see some measureable effect, but you gotta still be better off.
Bottom line is, brains aren't all their cracked up to be, whereas Nature IS Nurture. :sun

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-08-2007, 06:47
I would think that backpacking would actually stimulate the brain rather than put it in neutral because of all the on-the-fly problems solving involved.

EWS
12-08-2007, 06:59
Backpacking, as most non-critical thinking hobbies, doesn't require much brain power once you have some experience.

If you have constant problems in any non-critical thinking hobby seen as difficult by some, but professionally taught by others, you are unprepared in one way or another.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-08-2007, 07:05
Backpacking, as most non-critical thinking hobbies, doesn't require much brain power once you have some experience.

If you have constant problems in any non-critical thinking hobby seen as difficult by some, but professionally taught by others, you are unprepared in one way or another.EWS, I'm not talking about constant problems, but about the fact that you must stay alert, figure out how to navigate terrain (admittedly a bit more of challenge for me than most), figure out how far to hike, where to stop, keep an eye on available water sources - the stuff every backpacker does on a daily basis - and mother nature changes the pallet every day as we do it!

mudhead
12-08-2007, 07:05
I have thought for years that tourists take a stupid pill when they get here.

EWS
12-08-2007, 07:19
EWS, I'm not talking about constant problems, but about the fact that you must stay alert, figure out how to navigate terrain (admittedly a bit more of challenge for me than most), figure out how far to hike, where to stop, keep an eye on available water sources - the stuff every backpacker does on a daily basis - and mother nature changes the pallet every day as we do it!

Dino, I wasn't and am not trying to be insulting, though I know you take it that way sometimes.

Backpacking is a very beautiful and forgiving hobby. Most of the challenges that people have can be solved with a little instruction, thought due to the forgiving nature of backpacking, it is not necessary to most.

Everyone can be taught how to do nav quickly and accurately, it just takes a good instructor a little time.

There is nothing else that really strikes me a difficult or that won't quickly become second nature after some experience.

EWS
12-08-2007, 07:25
I have thought for years that tourists take a stupid pill when they get here.
I taught scuba diving south of the border for a little while. The stupid pill issued at the border makes for an entertaining and wild time. I think people purposely see how far they can go, especially grown women, because they think no one at home will never find out.

mudhead
12-08-2007, 07:36
Now don't be telling secrets. No sense messing up a good thing.

I was thinking more along the lines of reading a road map, stopped, in the travel lane.

Cuffs
12-08-2007, 09:21
I would like to have the source sited instead of "I heard that..."

pitdog
12-08-2007, 09:35
I Q testing is racially bias.

EWS
12-08-2007, 09:41
I wasn't aware stupidity was considered a race.

CoyoteWhips
12-08-2007, 09:41
If IQ means the tolerance for sitting in your box and sorting buttons, then that seems seems fundamentally correct.

pitdog
12-08-2007, 09:42
These tests were designed for white americans only.

Tipi Walter
12-08-2007, 09:45
You don't need a 3 week vacation, one hour in Gatlinburg will do it.

Cuffs
12-08-2007, 09:47
And since we still dont know the source... what type of vacation? one of those mindless, stuck in the car for hours just to see Mt Rushmore, only to jump back in the car for more mindless driving to get home in time? To me, thats no vacation, but for many (most?) it is...

hopefulhiker
12-08-2007, 09:49
A recent study showed that young chimpanzees performed better on a short term memory test than humans..

I think that your thinking clears up on the trail.. As opposed to spending time on an internet forum..

pitdog
12-08-2007, 09:51
Thats because they dont inhale smoke.

Summit
12-08-2007, 10:13
I have thought for years that tourists take a stupid pill when they get here.More like just before they set out, as evidenced by their driving! :eek:

Summit
12-08-2007, 10:22
I think the premise of "going on vacation" being the catalyst for IQ drop is completely out of wack. The brain, like muscles, when not properly exercised, will suffer from lack of exercise. Some people become slothful in that regard on vacation but many do not.

I like to balance relaxing with vigorous exercise (hiking) on backpacking trips - kinda like the "work hard - play hard" ethic. I also love to read on backpacking trips, which provides plenty of brain stimulation. So in conclusion, I'd have to say the myth presented is "busted."

Blissful
12-08-2007, 11:58
And since we still dont know the source... what type of vacation? one of those mindless, stuck in the car for hours just to see Mt Rushmore, only to jump back in the car for more mindless driving to get home in time? To me, thats no vacation, but for many (most?) it is...

We did that with our son when he was seven. Mt Rushmore, the Lewis and Clark trail, Theodore Roosevelt NP, Yellowstone, etc. A great vacation, actually....and I wrote a book afterwards on Lewis and Clark. So I guess the neurons were stimulated.

And driving doesn't have to be mindless, it can actually be a good time with loved ones in meaningful discussion and close proximity...driving can be an adventure.

To me what is more mindless is hopping on an airplane...after spending wasted time in a crowded terminal for hours on end and then jammed into a plane with hours of coughing and talking and the loud humming with some dumb movie playing that makes no sense. The longest plane ride I had was to Italy. I thought it would never end, and I was totally brain dead after it. Stuck in an upright coffin seat for eight hours unable to move.

Just a Hiker
12-08-2007, 12:10
I do my best "thinking" while hiking, so I am dubious.

Just Jim

CoyoteWhips
12-08-2007, 12:32
Well, we all know that a moron Thoreau was.

Slacker.

Actually, I think American leisure time is part of what has made us innovators. We have been particularly good at doing things that nobody has ever done before. You can't usually do that if you're spending your whole life on the clock.

Even in a wider historical context, much of world's great thinking came from people who were thinking for fun.

Doctari
12-08-2007, 14:09
me no lOse thinky sTuFf wen me Hik se

mE si mart as efer>

Lugnut
12-08-2007, 14:12
And since we still dont know the source..

I don't know the source. It was just a little trivia thing in a magazine I thought could apply to long distance hiking in some humerous way. Don't take life so damn serious!

weary
12-08-2007, 14:18
I would think that backpacking would actually stimulate the brain rather than put it in neutral because of all the on-the-fly problems solving involved.
Right. You have to remember which foot you just put in front of the other. It wouldn't do to put the same foot ahead more than a couple of times.

Cuffs
12-08-2007, 14:22
I don't know the source. It was just a little trivia thing in a magazine I thought could apply to long distance hiking in some humerous way. Don't take life so damn serious!

Well I find it not so fun when the facts cant be established. Some people tend to pull things out of thin air, amongst other places... And quite being so cynical, especially when you dont know if I was being "so damn serious" which I was not...

Tin Man
12-08-2007, 14:37
Right. You have to remember which foot you just put in front of the other. It wouldn't do to put the same foot ahead more than a couple of times.

What's for dinner is another brain teaser, rice or pasta, out of rice, maybe I should have pasta. ;)

atraildreamer
12-08-2007, 15:05

Take pack, leave non-essentials (eg: brain) at home.:eek: Save 2 pounds of weight. :D :banana

Bob S
12-08-2007, 15:15
When out in the wild, my mind is never at rest. While camping I often come up with new ways to modify gear or come up with an idea for something new to make.

Yea I can see people becoming less inclined to use their brain if they go on vacation and do nothing but sit on a beach and watch the waves and sunset. But if you have an active mind you will exercise it anyplace.

My guess those that just sit on the beach are people that just sit at home in front of a TV. Only applying themselves at work when they have to.

I find I never have enough time to do all the projects I want to do because I’m always up to something. I would guess many of you are the same.

Nearly Normal
12-08-2007, 23:51
These tests were designed for white americans only.

Horse Hockey

Chainsaw 08
12-09-2007, 12:39
I Q testing is racially bias.You, know, arguing that you're smarter than the test indicates would be more persuasive if you'd master grammar and punctuation before posting. Just sayin'

(hint: the word you want is biased)

mudhead
12-09-2007, 12:47
You don't need a 3 week vacation, one hour in Gatlinburg will do it.

Was it the race cars, or the t-shirts that stunned you?

I enjoy letting my mind go blank. Peaceful.

Pedaling Fool
12-09-2007, 13:02
Sometimes I try and do simple math problems in my head, while hiking, when I feel my brain is getting a little soft, not unlike doing push-ups for the soft arms you get during a long hike.
Some examples: Do stuff like this while walking, but be careful I usually trip more often when doing this.

+3455

budforester
12-10-2007, 00:00
Bottom line is, brains aren't all their cracked up to be, whereas Nature IS Nurture. :sun
Yeah, agree, and I suffer from that nature deficit disorder.

Smile
12-10-2007, 01:09
Chuck Norris’ IQ can be expressed simply as a sideways eight. :)

The Mechanical Man
12-10-2007, 02:55
I have been section hiking the trail since 1984, is that bad for my brain IQ too?
I am glad to just follow the white blazes, and .................................................. .........................................
I forget what I was going to say next................

Dancer
12-10-2007, 06:01
Hiking might not make you more or less intelligent but I am sure that the physical benefits are worth the risk. I can feel the stress melt away, I'm sure my blood pressure goes down and my cardiovascular health goes up. I feel happy and content. To me that is more important than my IQ. Who really keeps up with their IQ anyway? Sounds pretentious to me.

Three weeks in the woods or more has to be healthier than three weeks in my cubicle, behind my desk, clicking away at this keyboard. UUUUGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Sly
12-10-2007, 06:34

Neither do most jobs....

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-10-2007, 06:37
You don't need a 3 week vacation, one hour in Gatlinburg will do it.::: Dino gives Tipi a high-five :::

EWS
12-10-2007, 07:17
Neither do most jobs....Unions and the government disagree.:)

futureatwalker
12-13-2007, 17:03
There has been a few interesting articles in the New York Times recently that relate, indirectly, to this issue.

The articles have asked the question: what's better for your intelligence when you are aging: mental excercise (puzzles, computer programs, etc.) or physical excercise?

The answer is physical excercise, by a mile (although, of course, staying mentally active with engaging hobbies and social activities is beneficial).

It's all about blood flow my friend. The better your circulatory system, the younger you are.

Jan LiteShoe
12-13-2007, 17:10
I read an item today that stated a person suffers a temporary 20 point drop in their IQ rating after a three week vacation. The apparent result of not having to think too deeply for 21 days. This doesn't bode well for long distance hikers especially if repeated exposure causes a permanent condition. I'm pretty sure I have seen evidence of this happening. :eek:

Ha-ha, you sure that's not because of all the glasses with the little umbrellas?
:sun

Lugnut
12-14-2007, 00:17
I drink beer so I'm immune. :sun

Tennessee Viking
12-14-2007, 00:34
For hiking, I think you would increase IQ. Always thinking logistics, budgeting your money between towns, plan out your next day....

But in personal experience after a good 10 mile hike in blazing humidity and sun, I think one would start to go loopy from exhaustion and dehydration.

superman
12-14-2007, 07:39
I have observed that the children born of thru hiker parents seem to be healthy, happy and well above average. I'm not to sure about the parents though.:-?