PDA

View Full Version : Following the trail with snow.

nauticatlarry
12-08-2007, 02:52
I plan to start out at Springer Mt the end of January. Is the trail marked well enough that even with a lot of snow on the ground it is easily followed?

Lone Wolf
12-08-2007, 02:58
I plan to start out at Springer Mt the end of January. Is the trail marked well enough that even with a lot of snow on the ground it is easily followed?

yes it is.

Tipi Walter
12-08-2007, 10:34
This is a good question that can have some different answers. It all depends on the type of snowstorm and the amount of snow. A foot trail with about 2-3 inches of snow is actually easier to follow than a bare trail, or let's just say AS EASY, as the trail with snow appears slightly sunken and obvious.

When the snow reaches 2 feet or more, you're on your own. If you can't see the hatch marks(covered in wind blown snow), and the bushes, brush, pines and rhodo are hanging heavily over the trail with heavy snow, and the trail is gone in the deep powder, and I mean gone: all you'll see is open woods in deep snow with no sign of trail, you will probably turn back.

This is what Brian Robinson had to do up north on the AT when he hit deep snow and snowdowns(low hanging rhodo full of snow)--he turned around and had to quit. But hey, nowadays such deep snowfall is rare except at the highest elevations, and even then there's a trend nowadays of less snow and less frigid temps.

Jan LiteShoe
12-08-2007, 10:43
Yes, the snow-laden overhanging bushes are troublesome, dumping their chilly payload between your back and your pack.

I think Flying Brian stopped in VT when the trails became impassable not only due to the drooping vegetation but also high snow levels squeezing the passageway to something you'd have to negotiate on your knees. ("How bad do you want it..." The Eagles)

If there is big snow, you can always head to town, or flip forward to keep walking and do the lower-elevation states north of Harper's Ferry. Elevation starts rising in MA. Take lots of pictures!

CoyoteWhips
12-08-2007, 11:43
Take lots of pictures!

Heh!

"Here's a shot of snow. Another shot, snow. This one is, well, more snow...."

Reminds me of a comment by one of the radar operators at top of Francis Peak in Utah, "Oh, look, yet another spectacular sunset."

Robusto
12-08-2007, 17:26
I do a fair share of winter hiking and have only been lost twice. The first time was in Massachusetts where I found out later that the blazes were painted on the boulders underfoot and the snow had covered them. I eventually found the trail after an hour or so. The second time was in a whiteout in Vt, but I had a GPS and had previously marked the shelters as waypoints. I've done about 200 miles in the snow and just as "Tipi Walter" said the trail has a depression that is usually very easy to follow. You also know when you are off the trail when your legs start to rub up against the leafless twigs that protrude through the snow.
I love hiking in the snow, you can see the trail in a whole new light. Once I was walking (post-holing) through deep snow and looked down and the blazes were knee high. The only other trouble I have had was when the snow is really wet and plasters the trees, all you can see are millions of "white" blazes. If you like toys, get a GPS and buy MapTechs software to download the waypoints.

http://www.geomart.com/products/maptech/apptrail.htm

You probably won't need it in Georgia since the trail is so frequently used, but its nice to have it if you need it. Hope to see you out there!

Robusto

Jack Tarlin
12-08-2007, 17:29
I think that you'll be fine, tho in some cases, you'd better slow down and proceed carefully. With really deep snow, you could miss the Trail or a blaze.

Just out of curiousity......WHY are you starting that early?

(This is in no way meant to be critical......I'm just curious).

Smile
12-08-2007, 18:45
I hope you have a great hike! :)
BRRRRRRRRR!

minnesotasmith
12-08-2007, 19:26
1) Are there frequent visible blazes (i.e., not obscured by snow, esp. windblown)?

2) Are there footprints made from before the trail was fully obscured to follow?

If both of these are true, it's going to be a major PITA along much of the Trail.

Kirby
12-08-2007, 20:34
Some sections in Maine are poorly blazed even in the summer, just have an open eye. if you think you have lost the trail, retrace to the last blaze you saw and look for the next one.

Kirby

nauticatlarry
12-08-2007, 20:51
First of all, I hate to wait once I've decided to do something. If it weren't for Christmas with the family and some business I need to take care of the first week of January I'd already have started. Secondly, I need to be completed by August to make it to a mountaineering seminar at Mt. Rainier the end of August. Thirdly, I want to be in nasty cold weather. All this is just prep work for Aconcaqua then maybe Denali.

Frosty
12-08-2007, 21:04
Some sections in Maine are poorly blazed even in the summer, just have an open eye. if you think you have lost the trail, retrace to the last blaze you saw and look for the next one.He's asking about leaving Springer the end of January. He'd have to be the slowest hiker on the planet to have trouble with snow when he reaches Maine :eek:

Frosty
12-08-2007, 21:07
First of all, I hate to wait once I've decided to do something. If it weren't for Christmas with the family and some business I need to take care of the first week of January I'd already have started. Secondly, I need to be completed by August to make it to a mountaineering seminar at Mt. Rainier the end of August. Thirdly, I want to be in nasty cold weather. All this is just prep work for Aconcaqua then maybe DenaliSkip the southern part, then. Come right up to NH and ME.

Kirby
12-08-2007, 21:13
He's asking about leaving Springer the end of January. He'd have to be the slowest hiker on the planet to have trouble with snow when he reaches Maine :eek:

My main point was that if he felt he has lost the trail, retrace to the last white blaze he saw, and look for the next one.:sun

Kirby

Bob S
12-09-2007, 00:28
Does anyone have a list of the GPS coordinates (or is it listed on the net) for shelters? This may be worth having and entering the info in a GPS unit.

It may be a good thing to add to the WB site:-?

Lone Wolf
12-09-2007, 08:47
for what reason?

mudhead
12-09-2007, 09:49
Skip the southern part, then. Come right up to NH and ME.

That would be different. FL resident goes north for the winter.

A true snowbird.

4eyedbuzzard
12-09-2007, 10:13
for what reason?

Knowing the GPS coordinates could help hikers avoid shelters entirely.:rolleyes:

oruoja
12-10-2007, 19:56
As mentioned, it really matters how much snow has fallen and how recently. Yesterday I took a snowshoe trip up the blue blazed Forest City trail linking with the Long Trail just south of Camel's Hump. The conditions for the last 1.5 miles included two to three feet of snow with hanging boughs and most of the blue blazes were not visible due to windblown snow covering them. Slow going without any evidence of tracked trail.

mlkelley
12-10-2007, 20:12
("How bad do you want it..." The Eagles)
Hate being a nit-picker, but this was Don Henley solo.....

Marta
12-10-2007, 20:46
There are things besides blazes which mark the trail. One of the easiest to spot is the cut ends of blown-down trees.

Good luck!

WILLIAM HAYES
12-10-2007, 22:12
you should have no problem I have hiked a lot in the wintertime in some bad conditions .Sveral years ago we had pretty much a blizzard when I did the smokies The only time I had aproblem was in near whiteout conditions was in Greyson HighLANDS I got turned around twice because I could not locate a whiteblaze .locating the trail can be a problem in blowing snow with almost whiteout conditions but that should be rare just monitor the weather and know when to hunker down. overall in GA NC TENN and VA you are at treeline the majority of the time except for the balds like Jane bald max patch etc and you can pick up the blazes fairly easily. If you do get turned around re trace your steps looking for the Southbound blazes to locate the trail

Hillbilly

Programbo
12-10-2007, 22:56
Secondly, I need to be completed by August to make it to a mountaineering seminar at Mt. Rainier the end of August. Thirdly, I want to be in nasty cold weather. All this is just prep work for Aconcaqua then maybe Denali.

Hmmm..I wouldn`t think someone going to Rainier and Denali would require 7-8 months to complete the AT :-?

envirodiver
12-10-2007, 22:56
Does anyone have a list of the GPS coordinates (or is it listed on the net) for shelters? This may be worth having and entering the info in a GPS unit.

It may be a good thing to add to the WB site:-?

Does anyone use maps and compass anymore? Maybe we can also put a list of porters on the whiteblaze website. Then we don't have to carry our packs as well as figure out where we are.

bigboots
12-10-2007, 23:13
Hmmm..I wouldn`t think someone going to Rainier and Denali would require 7-8 months to complete the AT :-?

it might if theres a lot of snow and bad conditions.

Bigboots