PDA

View Full Version : Neat Bandanna Idea

Ashman
12-08-2007, 09:10
I was out shopping with my wife last night and we saw a map/bandanna. It shows the AT for the Length of Virginia. It doesn't have enough detail to rely on for most folks (wrong scale, no elevation profiles, no topo lines) but it does have the raods that intersect along with shelter and some spring info. I am pretty new here and to back packing so this may have been discussed years ago but to me it was a neat idea. They have about 6 different ones for the entire AT

Cuffs
12-08-2007, 09:16
Like this? http://www.antigravitygear.com/products.php?cat=78

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-08-2007, 09:16
These are called MapDanas and are available as a set

Ashman
12-08-2007, 09:19
Yup thats the one. I think Santa is going to bring the VA map for my stocking!

hopefulhiker
12-08-2007, 09:22
I used a set in my thru in 05.. I liked the phone numbers for hostels and town info on there..

nitewalker
12-08-2007, 09:41
i just purchased all 4 of the mapdanas. i always wear a bandana so the mapdana is like killing two birds with one stone..maybe 3 or moreif i really use my mind.. how many uses for the bandana....

1. hat/warmth
2. hat/shade
3. washcloth
4. water filter
5. firestarter in a pinch
6. what other ideas are out there

Roots
12-08-2007, 10:37
i just purchased all 4 of the mapdanas. i always wear a bandana so the mapdana is like killing two birds with one stone..maybe 3 or moreif i really use my mind.. how many uses for the bandana....

1. hat/warmth
2. hat/shade
3. washcloth
4. water filter
5. firestarter in a pinch
6. what other ideas are out there

I was on a trail a couple weeks ago and had on a pair of pants that kept falling down-thank God no one was around to see that one:) -so I took my 2 bandanas and made a belt. Have to say it worked pretty darn good.

Lilred
12-08-2007, 11:42
you can also use them as a pot holder for hot stuff. makes good toilet paper in a pinch.......Would make a good bandage if the need arises. If you have two bandanas, you could make a sling for your arm if you needed to. Could also be used for a tournaquet (sp?).

lunchbx
12-08-2007, 11:55
you guys forgot the ultimate use for the bandana, to look like a rugged drifter. adds a coolness factor of about ten to your overall hiker look. i ussually use a sleeve from a short sleeve t-shirt as my bandana, no extra material, just the right size, for me anyway.

Lyle
12-08-2007, 12:07
My most unusual use for a bandana:

Many years ago knickers were semi popular with some hikers for winter use (kinda like kilts are now for summer use). I was one of these hikers. Woolrich sold several styles, mine were heavy wool. These were great when combined with the knee-length, ragg wool knicker socks. Very accomodating to various conditions, adjustable by lowering socks, raising legs, etc.

Anyway, the one problem with these was developing chafeing when hiking all day in heavy wool. Problem solved by pinning a bandanna into the crotch of the Knickers to act as a liner.

Franco
12-08-2007, 19:20
Thank you for the liner idea. I have just cancelled my upcoming augmentation procedure ( yes I had given in after 65,432 E Mails)
Now I am not so sure that I want to use that particular bandanna to filter muddy water.
Franco

Christopher Robin
12-09-2007, 19:54
I use one of my badannas to keep my neck cool in 3 seasons, @ when home it is washed @ folded in a zip-lock. Then I wet it @ place in the reig. the night before , then put in my pack the next morring ready for latter that day.

buckowens
12-09-2007, 20:08
These are called MapDanas and are available as a set

I had one until I left it hanging in a tree near the shelters at Carter Gap. Heard a bear coming up over the hill and I hastily broke camp as he got close. Irrational, but true.

warraghiyagey
12-09-2007, 20:11
I saw one of the entire AT in the hiker box at Shaws.

Two Speed
12-09-2007, 20:38
Got one or two MapDanas and gotta admit I think they're pretty cool. No substitute for a map of course, but awfully handy to have the mileage, phone numbers, etc. Lotta info and no additional weight!