PDA

View Full Version : Another Gear List

mattabbotts
12-08-2007, 12:36
I am not trying to be a gear head here and I am sure you guys are sick of seeing these but I figured any advice is helpful. Any of this stuff seem unneccessary or is there stuff I am missing?

carried
Granite Gear Meridian Vapor Pack, 46oz
Integral Designs Siltarp, 7oz
Stakes and Lines for tarp, 5oz
3x7 tyvek ground cloth, 4oz
Western Mountaineering Ultralite Super 20 degree bag, 26oz
Thermarest prolite 4 regular, 24oz
Homemade alcohol stove, 5oz
Plastic fuel bottle, 2oz
MSR Ttitan Kettle, 4oz
Snowpeak Ti Spork, 1oz
MSR Sweetwater Filter, 14oz
2 Platypus 32oz canteens, 2oz
Black Diamond Ion Headlamp,1oz
Bandana, 1oz
Hot Chillies Peach Skins Base Layer, 4oz
Hot Chillies LaMontana Mid Layer, 6oz
Bike Nashbar tights, 3oz
Duofold Midweight bottoms, 4oz
Mountain Hardwear Epic Jacket, 14 oz
Marmot Precip Pants, 10oz
Mountain Hardwear Phantom Down Jacket, 15oz
Manzenella Windpro hat, 2oz
Outdoor Research PL300 fleece gloves, 3oz
Smartwool midweight running socks, 2oz
First Aid kit, 3oz
Toiletries (TP, shampoo, fingernail clippers, toothpaste and brush), 7oz
Buck aproach knife with 2.5in blade, 2oz
Cell phone and charger, 7oz
Journal (loose paper and pen), 2oz
ID and credit card, 1oz

Worn
Mountain Hardwear Wicked t, 3oz
GoLite running shorts, 4oz
Headsweats super visor, 2oz
Smartwool midweight running socks, 2oz
synthetic liner socks, 1oz
Vasque Mercury Trail Running Shoes, 26oz
Leki Ti air ergo treking poles, 14oz
Highgear aerial alti/watch, 2oz

Total carried: 227oz / 14.2 lbs
Total Worn: 54oz / 3.4 lbs
From the skin out: 281oz / 17.6 lbs

This is everything I plan on carrying. Any advice as to gear changes would be appreciated.

Thanks,
mattabbotts
NOBO '08

EWS
12-08-2007, 12:42
Tarp with no bivy or bug screen. I assume you will test this thoroughly or already have.

Water filter. You sure you don't want drops, considering how light the rest of your stuff is?

Compass and maps? Guide book?

Bigby 2007
12-08-2007, 13:40
I tend to advocate more water storage capacity. 3 liters minimum, for camp if nothing else! I'd trade the two small bladders for one bigger one, like an MSR Dromlite.

dessertrat
12-08-2007, 13:52
What month are you leaving in? I assume it will be fairly warm when you leave?

I don't see a camera? Surely you'll want a camera and some extra batteries for the headlamp, just in case. I know you are trying to stay ultralight here, but documenting your trip is important too.

4eyedbuzzard
12-08-2007, 13:59
An additional minor item, but I'd lose the spork and carry both a separate spoon and fork.

maxNcathy
12-08-2007, 13:59
Check Gossamer Gear for lighter backpacks and ground sheet..tyvek wets through.
Go with aqua mira instead of 14 0z filter.
A ULA wrap could do instead of rain pants.Check them out.I bought a wrap and like it.Get LONG if you are tallish.
Have fun, Sandalwood

mattabbotts
12-08-2007, 17:34
I am leaving toward the end of March, it will be cold but not to bad. Plus living in Michigan's Upper Penninsula has made me fairly cold hardy.

I was thinking of adding a bug headnet since I am not taking a bivy, for a few ounces will it do the trick?

A camera is definetly a good idea and I forgot to include one.

If tyvek wets out, what is a better alternative? The ground cloth is pretty important as I am just using the tarp.

Would it be worth it to add a 3 litre resevoir in addition to the platypus bottles? If the current water trend keeps up it may be real dry and 5 litres might be handy.

mountain squid
12-08-2007, 19:16
Some observations:

camp footwear
lighter/matches
food stuff sack
50' nylon cord
hand sanitizer
Dr Bronners soap instead of shampoo
whistle
radio/mp3 player
atm card
needle for draining blisters
sun screen (no leaves)
ear plugs
duct tape
you might bounce the phone charger
I would have a 3 liter reservoir with a drinking tube and a platypus
bug nets don't do much for me at night (the mosquitoes might not get through, but they'll be buzzing all night long)

Don't under estimate the cold weather. Even though you will be in the 'South', you will also be in the mountains...it will be cold...and don't forget the Smokies...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

maxNcathy
12-08-2007, 22:18
www.gossamergear.com (http://www.gossamergear.com) for ground sheet that is waterproof and light and tough and cheap.

Seeker
12-09-2007, 01:02
lots of good advice already. some of mine is nit-picking, but...

a 3 lb pack to carry a 17lb load? there's gotta be a way to save at least a pound there somehow.

a homemade alcohol stove that weighs 5oz? i hope you mean stove, potstand, and windscreen together.

your fuel bottle weighs 2oz? a plain 12oz soda bottle is 0.6 oz, iirc. but i don't know how much your's holds. still seems heavy.

your sweetwater filter weighs 16oz. Aqua Mira drops will run you about 3 oz. but then maybe you don't like the taste, or it's a cost thing. just be aware of the options. make up your own mind, and maybe you already have.

would you consider a swiss army classic (i'm thinking it's 0.8 oz. someone correct me if i'm wrong. my weight spreadsheet's at work.) instead of the 2 oz Buck for your knife? the blade is shorter, but it has scissors that might replace your nail clippers.

my own preference for writing outdoors is pencil vs pen (won't wash out/run if it gets wet, and you can write on wet paper with it.)

a titanium spork is 'cool' until you put it in something hot. my preference is for a lexan tablespoon. and i've never liked how a spork dribbles out the front when you're having soup/stew. but that's a hyoh thing.

i like your 2 canteens, vs 1 bigger one. again, that's probalby a hyoh thing.

other stuff: lighter? duct tape? camp footgear? ear plugs? bear bag and cord? music? credit card? camera?

i assume you have a needle (previously mentioned) in your first aid kit, and perhaps your duct tape and ear plugs are there as well.

take-a-knee
12-09-2007, 01:15
Good list, I think you'll be happy with that pack, I would rethink the tarp however. I would use a solo tent (MSR, Seedhouse SL1) or a tarptent, probably the latter. Actually I'd use neither cause I use a hammock, but that's just me. If you sleep on the ground, you've picked the right pad, remember to carry a patch kit, and learn how to use it (boiling water)

mattabbotts
12-09-2007, 02:12
Thanks for the advice everyone. I forgot to include the bear rope and bag, I have it just overlooked it. I have duct tape and needle and thread in my first aid kit. My stove weight includes a pot stand, wind screen and lighter. I am gonna stick with shampoo as my dreadlocks dictate my soap choices. Aquamira was something I was thinking about, but it seems like a pump would be more convenient for getting water out of shallow or muddy sources. Correct me if I am wrong or if there is something I just haven't thought of. I am gonna try it without camp footwear or an mp3 player, seem like luxuries and I am kind of stepping away from that. But this isn't hard fast, I'll see when I get out there. Ear plugs are something I forgot but definitely a good idea. The fuel bottle was just an estimation of weight, I haven't gotten a chance to weigh it yet, I am glad is lighter than my estimate. The swiss army knife is a good idea, the lower weight and scissors sound perfect.

Appalachian Tater
12-09-2007, 02:21
Surely you'll want ....... some extra batteries for the headlamp, just in case.

You don't really need spare headlamp batteries unless you night hike. The batteries last a very long time and the headlamp will start to dim slowly over a period of weeks, giving you plenty of time to get new batteries next time you're in town.

EWS
12-09-2007, 02:46
I am leaving toward the end of March, it will be cold but not to bad. Plus living in Michigan's Upper Penninsula has made me fairly cold hardy.

I was thinking of adding a bug headnet since I am not taking a bivy, for a few ounces will it do the trick?
Bugs can be annoying. Staying dry is important.

Would it be worth it to add a 3 litre resevoir in addition to the platypus bottles? If the current water trend keeps up it may be real dry and 5 litres might be handy.yes only a few ounces

4eyedbuzzard
12-09-2007, 08:41
You don't really need spare headlamp batteries unless you night hike. The batteries last a very long time and the headlamp will start to dim slowly over a period of weeks, giving you plenty of time to get new batteries next time you're in town.

Batteries have internal connections that can fail as well as the chemicals simply being consumed. Also the "on button" of many devices can be accidentally turned on inside a pack, running down the batteries accidentally. If you have something that is essential/safety related such as a flashlight/headlamp that requires batteries, I think it's pretty wise to always carry a spare set.

Just a differing opinion offered in civility under the new improved WB press the think button before posting protocol. ;)

hopefulhiker
12-09-2007, 08:51
The bugs really don't come out till it gets warmer.. Also I question the cell phone in the south. There is just not that good of a coverage.. Seems to be better up north. Normally I would go with Aqua Mira. But because of the drought I think a filter is mandatory to get water out of mud puddles. I would also carry an extra water bottle because of the drought.

4eyedbuzzard
12-09-2007, 09:00
[quote=Seeker;467718]a titanium spork is 'cool' until you put it in something hot. my preference is for a lexan tablespoon. and i've never liked how a spork dribbles out the front when you're having soup/stew. but that's a hyoh thing.[quote]

A spork is simply a leaky spoon and useless fork - all in one. It does nothing well. The tines are to short to be a decent fork and the spoon leaks in the front. I don't know if it's a HYOH thing, seems more like a WYOF (wear your own food) thing to me.:eek:

take-a-knee
12-09-2007, 09:14
I use this filter plumbed with a camelback hose and shutoff valve between two 70 playpuses.

http://www.seychelle.com/Prodselect.asp?RepID=10001&CategoryID=386&BasketID=

amigo
12-09-2007, 09:24
Rather than simply carrying extra batteries, why not back up the entire light? Anything mechanical or electrical will eventually fail. A Photon light weighs less than 1/4 ounce.

Also, the ability to make a fire under difficult conditions can mean the difference between life and death. I had a friend go through pond ice once. I made a fire. He lived. I carry NATO waterproof/windproof matches to back up the Bic. These are also called British Lifeboat matches and 25 matches in its waterproof container weigh .7 ounce. They will light in a 30mph wind; a Bic won't.

take-a-knee
12-09-2007, 09:26
Rather than simply carrying extra batteries, why not back up the entire light? Anything mechanical or electrical will eventually fail. A Photon light weighs less than 1/4 ounce.

Also, the ability to make a fire under difficult conditions can mean the difference between life and death. I had a friend go through pond ice once. I made a fire. He lived. I carry NATO waterproof/windproof matches to back up the Bic. These are also called British Lifeboat matches and 25 matches in its waterproof container weigh .7 ounce. They will light in a 30mph wind; a Bic won't.

Those lifeboat matches rock, Brigade Quartermaster sells them, REI sells something simalar.

DAKS
12-09-2007, 10:53
seeker, you were close on the swiss army classic knife! 0.7 oz. it's the best and the lightest! a very good choice!

Appalachian Tater
12-09-2007, 12:06

That's smart, lighter than batteries and backs up the whole headlamp.