PDA

View Full Version : heading out to springer wednesday

octogon
12-08-2007, 19:57
With finals over for me a bit early, I've found myself with quite a bit of time between this semester and the next (almost a month) so I will probably be heading out on the trail to walk for probably less than a week ending up wherever I may get to. I hope for warm weather, a light pack, good water supplies, and maybe even some good company. I will depart from the approach trail on the 13th of December, or perhaps later but no later than the 15th. I plan to do 10-20 miles per day but probably leaning more toward the 10 side.

As of right now, I do not have a hiking partner. My friends aren't exactly outdoors people as much as they are Halo 3 people. I know I should probably have a hiking partner, but I think I'm experienced enough to make it on my own (but if you want to come, send me a pm!)

I would appreciate any advice on solo winter backpacking or any info about the section of the trail I'm doing.

cheers

Skidsteer
12-08-2007, 20:02
Have fun with it. If you can do 10-20 miles per day there are lots of opportunities to get off trail and get warm if you need to in the section you're doing.

trekkngirl
12-18-2007, 11:56
Would anyone know if there is water at the first few shelters??

Machine
12-18-2007, 14:21
Would anyone know if there is water at the first few shelters??
Yes, there is water at Springer, Three Forks and Hawk Mtn shelters.

trekkngirl
12-18-2007, 14:39
Thanks Machine...just the info I was looking for. :)

max patch
12-18-2007, 17:42
Yes, there is water at Springer, Three Forks and Hawk Mtn shelters.

Are you sure? Mountain Crossings says no water at Springer as of 7 December.

Smile
12-18-2007, 17:46
Have a great hike Octogon, enjoy yourself out there :)

SC Ryan
12-18-2007, 19:21
Lots of rain in GA/NC over the weekend

Are you sure? Mountain Crossings says no water at Springer as of 7 December.

Kirby
12-18-2007, 22:33
Lots of rain in GA/NC over the weekend

Good news.

Kirby

Ron Haven
12-19-2007, 01:27
Has the fire ban been lifted in Ga yet.If so who ever gets there first pile some wood up.When I was younger I was a pilot.Grown ups cut wood and I'd pile it:D

max patch
12-19-2007, 08:50
Has the fire ban been lifted in Ga yet.If so who ever gets there first pile some wood up.When I was younger I was a pilot.Grown ups cut wood and I'd pile it:D

Fire ban effective thru April 30, 2008.

88BlueGT
12-19-2007, 13:34
With finals over for me a bit early, I've found myself with quite a bit of time between this semester and the next (almost a month) so I will probably be heading out on the trail to walk for probably less than a week ending up wherever I may get to. I hope for warm weather, a light pack, good water supplies, and maybe even some good company. I will depart from the approach trail on the 13th of December, or perhaps later but no later than the 15th. I plan to do 10-20 miles per day but probably leaning more toward the 10 side.

As of right now, I do not have a hiking partner. My friends aren't exactly outdoors people as much as they are Halo 3 people. I know I should probably have a hiking partner, but I think I'm experienced enough to make it on my own (but if you want to come, send me a pm!)

I would appreciate any advice on solo winter backpacking or any info about the section of the trail I'm doing.

cheers

I know exactally how you feel. Its hard to convince someone who sits around and plays xbox all day that hiking 10 miles a day in the cold is fun :) I got one to convert so thats a good start. Good luck with your trip.