PDA

View Full Version : post hike tent cleaning

highflying_brian
12-11-2003, 09:35
I recently have completed a 50 mile hike on the foothills trail. It was the first "real" thru hike i Have done. Now I have a sierra designs Gamma tent that is still in the stuff sack, but now is very dirty. My problem is that here even in South Carolina it is cold and windy and I live in an apartment complex. Not exactly the best for setting up a tent.
Is there any recommended methods for cleaning and drying a dirty tent?
The floor was wet, the fly was wet. and both have dirt and debri from being rolled into eachother after four nights of use.
if anybody has any good tips, I'd appreciate it!

icemanat95
12-11-2003, 10:21
Pull that tent out RIGHT NOW. Pitch it on your living room floor or your kitchen, whereever there is even a smidgeon of room and get to drying that thing out before it mildews.

Once it dries enough that the dirt and stuff isn't adhered to the fabric, brush it loose and vacuum it out with a upholstery brush on your vacuum cleaner. If you do not have such a vac, then the dust pan and brush will have to do the job. If you don't have those go out and get them. But pitch the tent and get it drying ASAP.

brian
12-11-2003, 15:35
Yes, it is VERY Important to make sure that it is 100% dry before packing it again. Ive seen many a boy scout tent ruined by mildew. Not a pretty sight (or smell for that matter). Do you have a friend with an outdoor clothes line? As long as it isnt below 40 deg, you should be able to carefully wash it in a tub and then hang outside after you ring most of the water out. Since it is windy, it should be dry in a couple of hours.

Brian
Future Thru HIker 2013