PDA

View Full Version : military cold weather liners

double j
12-08-2007, 21:19
i was down at this military surplus store and found some liners the military uses or use to use for cold weather they are extremely light but there made out of polyester and nylon i may buy one just to try but has anyone seen or use these they are a real light green

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-08-2007, 21:27
Do a search for 'poncho liner' - they have been discussed several times.

Froggy
12-08-2007, 21:34
I went out today for a few miles in 25 degree weather. The wind was light, about 5 mph, and there was a light snow.

The clothing I wore seemed to be just about right, with one exception.

Shoes - Ascis Trebuco trailrunners,
Socks - Smartwool medium hiking,
Pants - Jeans (yes, I know) with polypro long underpants under them.
Hat - Wool ski cap, ancient,
Sunglasses - prescription,
Shirts - Patagonia Capilene Tee,
Patagonia Capilene 1/4 zip long sleeve,

Froggy
12-08-2007, 21:36
Sorry, not done yet....

Patagonia Synchilla sweatshirt,
Montbell Light Shell

Gloves - EMS, don't know the model.

The only thing I would have preferred would be a hood for the jacket. The rest was fine. At one point I stood in an exposed place to talk with someone while our dogs played.

double j
12-08-2007, 21:48
i wasnt gona use it for a poncho liner i thought about wearing it under my jacket or at night maybe

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-08-2007, 21:52
i wasnt gona use it for a poncho liner i thought about wearing it under my jacket or at night maybeSorry, Sgt Rock use the pant liners some.

double j
12-08-2007, 22:10
yeah i seen those also there only like 10 bucks a peice

Frau
12-08-2007, 22:34
Nessmuk (my sweetheart hiking partner) uses the layered poncho liner system in place of a sleeping bag and loves them.

Frau

take-a-knee
12-08-2007, 22:36
i wasnt gona use it for a poncho liner i thought about wearing it under my jacket or at night maybe

Those things work great, the jacket liner can plus up a marginal jacket in cold weather, and there is nothing as warm as those pant liners for the weight.

JimM
12-08-2007, 22:40
i was down at this military surplus store and found some liners the military uses or use to use for cold weather they are extremely light but there made out of polyester and nylon i may buy one just to try but has anyone seen or use these they are a real light green
I was out in the rain all day 2 weeks ago and wore a jacket liner under my rain gear. The liner I have has buttons on the front which allows me to button the liner separately. There is no collar on the liner, so I used a scarf with my jacket. The setup worked fine.
Jim

Bearpaw
12-08-2007, 23:20
I was out in the rain all day 2 weeks ago and wore a jacket liner under my rain gear. The liner I have has buttons on the front which allows me to button the liner separately. There is no collar on the liner, so I used a scarf with my jacket. The setup worked fine.
Jim

This isn't a poncho liner which is rectangular with ties to attach to a poncho. It's a field jacket liner. Does this model have openings at the arm pits? If so, it's the last generation that that Marine Corps was still using in the early 90's which got phased out for polypropylene and Goretex. We used to call them ChiCom liners because they sort of looked like the quilited jackets that Communist Chinese used during the Korean War.

Yes, they were very warm, usually too warm to hike in, but GREAT when in place in a fighting hole.

Seeker
12-09-2007, 00:32
yes, i used them a lot when i lived where it was cold. great price, great warmth/weight ratio. a lot bulkier than down, but WAAAY cheaper.

they're cut a little 'odd' to fit inside a field jacket or field pants, which makes them short, mostly, so they don't hang out the end of your sleeves or pants and get wet, and so they don't bulk up the sleeve/pants opening and cut off your circulation.

there are two types of liners for jackets. one fits inside the old field jacket. the other, a bit longer, fit inside the extreme-cold parka, which went down almost to your knees.

EWS
12-09-2007, 00:34
The older quilted field jacket liner is easier to fit and lighter than the newer stuff, though it requires a little bit of sewing.

Summit
12-09-2007, 01:54
Speaking of poncho liners, fold in half length-wise, sew the bottom and half to 3/4 way up the side. Makes a nice lite summer sleeping bag. Use two, one stuffed in the other if it is a little chilly. Two of 'em are still lighter than any conventional sleeping bag.

take-a-knee
12-09-2007, 09:24
Speaking of poncho liners, fold in half length-wise, sew the bottom and half to 3/4 way up the side. Makes a nice lite summer sleeping bag. Use two, one stuffed in the other if it is a little chilly. Two of 'em are still lighter than any conventional sleeping bag.

Those poncho liners are great but they aren't that light. Mine weighs 24 oz, that would be three pounds for two. That is more than my Jardine Quilt and I can sleep down to freezing with it. We swore buy them in the army, they were much lighter than those lead-filled bags we were issued, the maxim regarding poncho liners was, "Travel light, freeze at night"

Furlough
12-09-2007, 10:02

As others have noted there are other threads where both the use of the poncho liner and the jacket and pants liner are mentioned. I am in the Army and have used the poncho liner for many things over the past 20+ years. For summertime backpacking I use it in place of a sleeping bag. Sometimes depending on the weather I will pair it up with a lightweight bivy sack as well. The jacket liner makes a great camp jacket, or a quick addition during a snack or lunch break.

Furlough

SGT Rock
12-09-2007, 10:15
I love the jacket and pants liners. Cheap, light, and pack better than fleece. My comparison of my fleece jacket to my jacket liner in use over the last two years has led me to conclude that the jacket liner is also warmer than fleece for the same weight.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-09-2007, 10:31
Rock, do they make liner for those of us with curvy figures? I tried one years ago when I was younger and less fluffy, but I couldn't get it button over the 'mountain tops'

EWS
12-09-2007, 10:34
They did Dino.

double j
12-09-2007, 10:38
thanks they r cheap and light
I love the jacket and pants liners. Cheap, light, and pack better than fleece. My comparison of my fleece jacket to my jacket liner in use over the last two years has led me to conclude that the jacket liner is also warmer than fleece for the same weight.