PDA

View Full Version : How addicted are you??

Lilred
12-09-2007, 01:15
OK Now I know I am in serious addiction trouble. I'm reading the news stories tonight and I read a headline that says, "Clinton's mother and daughter to hit the trail" and I immediately check out the story to see if they are really going to thru-hike. :eek:

Man oh man, I think I need an intervention :D

Smile
12-09-2007, 01:18
Hah! i did that too! just now!

I think it's just eagerness to get on the trail :)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-09-2007, 08:39
::: Dino calls Cumberland Heights to see if they have program for trail addiction :D :::

I'm with Smile, eagerness. That and experience - people tend to fit new input into their lives based on previous experience and 'hit the trail' has a whole different meaning to us than political types....

squeeze
12-09-2007, 10:20
I thought it was just me.

Roots
12-09-2007, 10:25
THANK GOD IT'S NOT JUST ME!!!!

I even find myself at random stores picking something up to check the weight of it....I CAN'T STOP!!!

Once again, I say 'HI MY NAME IT ROOTS, AND I AM A HIKEAHOLIC!!!':eek:

FanaticFringer
12-09-2007, 11:06
As long as their not hiking around me......sorry Neo.:D

SGT Rock
12-09-2007, 11:09
I about to try and get a long fix in about 48 days.

pitdog
12-09-2007, 11:14
Yea, one will be counsiled by someone who beds down with the same sex[not that theres anything wrong with that].But when someone tries to tell one how to live ,and they defy laws of nature themselves.

Pedaling Fool
12-09-2007, 11:24
I did my first hike in March '06, then returned to Springer (to Damascus) in April '07. Now I'm thinking of Returning to Spinger in March '08, (Looking at Springer to Harper's Ferry). This is starting to scare me.

NICKTHEGREEK
12-09-2007, 11:41
I may have missed it, have you retired?

SGT Rock
12-09-2007, 11:48
I may have missed it, have you retired?
No, I am still on active duty. Right now I'm sitting in a hotel in Hinesville, GA because I'm down here for a mobilization mission. I start terminal leave on 26 January and start hiking on the 27th. My retirement date is 1 May, so I get paid by the Army for a few months while I hike.

dixicritter
12-09-2007, 12:29
No, I am still on active duty. Right now I'm sitting in a hotel in Hinesville, GA because I'm down here for a mobilization mission. I start terminal leave on 26 January and start hiking on the 27th. My retirement date is 1 May, so I get paid by the Army for a few months while I hike.

Ain't he the smart one? Makes me so proud! :sun

JAK
12-09-2007, 12:34
That start date is coming up fast eh. Much anticipated by many of us. Hope that doesn't suck the fun out of it in any way.

Should we call of the helicopters? :p

SGT Rock
12-09-2007, 12:35
Naw, choppers are OK if they bring supplies.

drumbeat
12-09-2007, 12:41
Howdy, I have been reading and following Whiteblaze for several months now, never posted anything, but my opinion on this is, we all obviously have a love for the outdoors and the trail, but I think that this website and others like it are very addicting with all of the suggestions, gear and talk of events and happenings on the trail. It keeps us (me) motivated in a way to want to get out there to see what all of the talk is about. I haven't thru hiked like some of you, but do love the outdoors and hike every chance I get. Just my opinion and im stickin to it.

Bearpaw
12-09-2007, 12:45
The monkey is beating me up pretty badly right now actually. I have 2 4-day trips lined up over Christmas break, then the Smokies portion of the BMT in late March, so that will have to settle my longish trail fix for the near term.

Hi, I'm Bearpaw, and I'm a hikerholic.......

Lone Wolf
12-09-2007, 12:46
i'm a drinker with a hiking problem

drumbeat
12-09-2007, 12:52

Sounds like there might be a song in there somewhere L.Wolf

mudhead
12-09-2007, 12:53
Fingers crossed! Don't be biting any big carrots.

Ain't he the smart one? Makes me so proud! :sun

How many times you have to nudge him?

Ramble~On
12-09-2007, 12:59
Drunk a hiking problem I'm.

squeeze
12-09-2007, 13:07
"Clinton's mother and daughter to hit the trail" :eek:

Just hope they LNT.

dixicritter
12-09-2007, 13:41
How many times you have to nudge him?

He's got it all very well planned out. I'm actually having to hold him back...LOL.

dessertrat
12-09-2007, 13:45

Starting January 27? That's gonna be some cold hiking. More power to you.

bfitz
12-09-2007, 13:59

Im a hinker with a diking problem.

DAKS
12-09-2007, 14:30
i have a hiking addiction also, or maybe a whiteblaze addiction? so much so, that i actually dreamt lastnight that i was at a ruck and we WERE CONTRA DANCING! very strange! I'M NOT JOKING! i really did have that dream?

bigboots
12-09-2007, 16:09
There is therapy for addicts like us...its hitting the trail every time we can. I'm known for leaving the office early on friday and randomly going backpacking for the weekend on a whim. As much as I like my job, theres no denying the call of the trail.

Bigboots

warraghiyagey
12-09-2007, 17:49
. . .
Hi, I'm Bearpaw, and I'm a hikerholic.......
Hiii Beaaaarrpaaaww. . .

Smile
12-09-2007, 18:08
SGT ROCK:
I'd sure be eager, man that is CLOSE! I guess you have a counter as well, so you know the details on hours and minutes etc. :)

Roots: I even find myself at random stores picking something up to check the weight of it....I CAN'T STOP!!!

I have one in my car, under my seat. I like to 'hand weigh' things, people sometimes look at me strange. I had a lady the other day in a store say, oh that is such a lightweight coat( shopping for a Christmas gift) and I had to hold myself back from saying "Light? This weighs like TWO pounds!", she wouldn't have understood. :)

My name is Smile, and I'm a hikerholic.

Jan LiteShoe
12-09-2007, 18:29
Starting January 27? That's gonna be some cold hiking. More power to you.

Speaking of hiking addicts, and cold hiking, Stumpknocker is leaving again, this time January 1 from Springer Mt.
This will be his sixth thru-hike if he decides to walk it all, and he says he is.
If you're there on New Year's eve, bring fried chicken.
:)

NICKTHEGREEK
12-09-2007, 19:08
Sweet, although that was the situation all along. Nice to be able to decide where and when all on your own now. Enjoy.

SGT Rock
12-09-2007, 19:35
I spent some time today updating my journal. It was a little behind with some gear changes. The thing I am finding is I now have the "Good idea fairy" saying "what if..." to me in my sleep.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-09-2007, 20:27
::: The Dino is temporary away from the computer ::: (http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/BillvilleRecovery.jpg)

warraghiyagey
12-09-2007, 20:28
::: The Dino is temporary away from the computer ::: (http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/BillvilleRecovery.jpg)
There's a spot right behind the yellow and white tent.:)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-09-2007, 20:30
There's a spot right behind the yellow and white tent.:)That's the group therapy area :D

Pennsylvania Rose
12-10-2007, 11:48
Once again, I say 'HI MY NAME IT ROOTS, AND I AM A HIKEAHOLIC!!!':eek:

No, no, no...if we start the steps, we'll have to give up our addiction. I prefer to remain in the denial stage. Problem...I ain't got no problem.

gold bond
12-11-2007, 09:59
Am I the only one who breaks out the alcahol stove and cooks on the porch about once a week?
I try nursing my habit by going to the local outfitter and just looking around....then it cost's me 100 bucks to get out only to get home and see I already have four of what I just bought!
I plan a hike....go hike it to check it out then hike it on the scheduled date!
I sometimes sleep on our screened in porch just to sleep outside.
I have seson tickets to the local college games at 45 bucks a piece and missed four games this year to hike!

warraghiyagey
12-11-2007, 11:05
I find myself sometimes at EMS brushing by the gear, staring blankly and standing away from everyone else quietly weeping.

jesse
12-11-2007, 11:31
This morning I was out of milk, so I grabbed my pack and walked thru the Kennesaw Mt Trail to the Kroger. That use to be called "a trip to the grocery store", now I call it a "re-supply"

SoxFanNick
12-11-2007, 18:46
Hi All - I'm not an avid hiker, but I love being in the outdoors; camping, rafting, etc just local trips whenever I can get a chance. But for some reason, recently have been getting itchy feet and want to spend every waking minute outside. I found this site yesterday just to get some info about possibly planning an AT hike of some sort in the spring with some friends, and reading the posts on here it's safe to say you guys haven't helped my situation! I seriously don't want to work the rest of the week - I just want to toss the pack in the jeep and get myself lost in the mountains...

But seriously, I'm new to hiking and I'm looking forward to adding this dynamic to the outdoor-centric lifestyle I'm rapidly growing fond of.

Nick

envirodiver
12-11-2007, 18:54
Hi Nick:welcome

I have a full time job, then took a part-time job at the local REI to play with the toys. Great discounts, but I may have shot myself in the foot by having less weekend time off.:-?

Smile
12-11-2007, 18:55
Am I the only one who breaks out the alcahol stove and cooks on the porch about once a week?

You're not alone. I like to do this to. Sometimes I just light it to watch the flames, or to just make tea. Such a lovely glow when you are far from the trail. :)

Mags
12-11-2007, 19:01

It is worth repeating:

When I was very young and the urge to be someplace was on me, I was assured by mature
people that maturity would cure this itch. When years described me as mature, the remedy
prescribed was middle age. In middle age I was assured that greater age would calm my fever
and now that I am fifty-eight perhaps senility will do the job. Nothing has worked. ...
In other words, I don't improve, in further words, once a bum always a bum.
I fear the disease is incurable.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-11-2007, 19:04
No, no, no...if we start the steps, we'll have to give up our addiction. I prefer to remain in the denial stage. Problem...I ain't got no problem.::: Dino makes call to arrange intervention :D ::::
i have a hiking addiction also, or maybe a whiteblaze addiction? so much so, that i actually dreamt lastnight that i was at a ruck and we WERE CONTRA DANCING! very strange! I'M NOT JOKING! i really did have that dream?::: Dino calls to find out if Billville Recovery has a dual diagnosis unit :D :::
Am I the only one who breaks out the alcahol stove and cooks on the porch about once a week? No :o

Smile
12-11-2007, 19:06
Ahhhh, the smell of denatured alcohol when it first comes out of the squeeze bottle, the pop of the match and the light singe of the fingers to get it lit. And the jumping little blue flames, I'm going to go light my little stove right now and make dinner.

I also like the word Pot Cozy, sounds nice doesn't it? Not a "stove reflector" or "fire shield", but a cooooozzzzzyy.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-11-2007, 19:11
::: Dino reads Smile's post and is seen with goose-flesh running toward front porch with stove and denat in hand ::::

Smile
12-11-2007, 19:13
Careful woman! Careful with that stove! I don't want you to trip and hurt yourself :)

Survivor Dave
12-11-2007, 19:27
::: Dino reads Smile's post and is seen with goose-flesh running toward front porch with stove and denat in hand ::::

Would Dino be willing to let SD cook it for you for a ride to a 12 Step meeting? If you enlarge the pic, you'll see how a hiking addiction has taken hold and IS "the families fault" and not the hiker. Hiking is only a symptom of the disorder I'm told...:D The excessive and compulsive buying of gear is the real problem though....... Not me, it's not my problem:cool:

SD

Smile
12-11-2007, 19:28
yup, that's an addict right there folks. :)

(OR a man crazed by eating his 1001st Ramen noodles for dinner, but i don't think so)

Jim Adams
12-11-2007, 19:30
I quit smoking. I quit chewing tobacco.
I can't quit hiking.....haven't found the right patch yet!

geek

Mags
12-11-2007, 19:34
I quit smoking. I quit chewing tobacco.
I can't quit hiking.....haven't found the right patch yet!

geek

Awwh..geeze. Let's not start a hiker patch discussion again. :p

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-11-2007, 19:35
::: Dino packs up copy of Thru-hiker's Merry-Go-Round Named Denial and mails it to SD :D :::

Survivor Dave
12-11-2007, 19:44
::: Dino packs up copy of Thru-hiker's Merry-Go-Round Named Denial and mails it to SD :D :::

Hmmmm... I wonder if there are any good REI gear coupons in the back of that denial book ....:D I just wanted to LOOK at them, but not use them.... Yeah....Uh Huh:cool:

DAKS
12-11-2007, 20:20
not only do i have dreams about contra dancing..................sometimes at work(alright, several times a week)i will rehydrate hummus and beans etc. with hot water from the coffee maker(yes, sometimes in a ziplock bag). people laugh at me all the time! additionally this rehydrated lunch just "tastes better" when eaten with a spork that has the handle sawed off?! why are they all laughing at me??? i guess they don't know what their missing?

Jan LiteShoe
12-11-2007, 22:35
I just want to toss the pack in the jeep and get myself lost in the mountains...
Nick

Oh yeah. Serious sign.
Abandon hope all ye enter here.
:sun

Chaco Taco
12-11-2007, 23:02
Haha, heated up some Chowdah earlier this evening on my new Starlyte. Sat outside with my headlamp on building pot stands and eating chowdah.

All I think about is the day after Christmas when I leave for the NOC.

You're not alone. I like to do this to. Sometimes I just light it to watch the flames, or to just make tea. Such a lovely glow when you are far from the trail. :)

Cuffs
12-11-2007, 23:11
Once a week? Heck, like at least 3-4 meals a week!

I try nursing my habit by going to the local outfitter and just looking around....then it cost's me 100 bucks to get out only to get home and see I already have four of what I just bought!
I have finally reached the point where I can go to the outfitter, walk around for 1/2 hour and leave with NOTHING! How sad is that!?!?

I sometimes sleep on our screened in porch just to sleep outside.
I hang in my yard!

Chaco Taco
12-11-2007, 23:16
My tool shed has cut up beer cans everywhere from making stoves, there is a slight smell of esbit in my room, And have tarp erected in the backyard. Geez, its kinda sad:D , nah who am I kiddin

Monkeyboy
12-11-2007, 23:29
You know you're addicted when you start thinking about getting away for your wedding anniversary and start trying to think of ways to talk your wife into going hiking........

Monkeyboy
12-11-2007, 23:30
Things like "Maybe if I offer to carry her gear, she'll go for it......."

gold bond
12-12-2007, 09:53
Hey cuffs I got one for you...stood out in the yard in the pouring down cold rain to test the water proofinf on my rain suite and boots as well to test the new patagonia pull over I had just bought. Well...2 out of the three did good!!

Lone Wolf
12-12-2007, 09:55
i piss off of my porch around 2AM every day

Cuffs
12-12-2007, 09:56
Thats a good one GB!

My other vice is that when Im grocery shopping for "home" I still cannot walk down an aisle thining "hmm, I wonder if I could cook that in a freezer bag?" I also look at every metal container and wonder what kind of new stove design it could possibly be used for!

Roots
12-12-2007, 10:13
You know you're addicted when you start thinking about getting away for your wedding anniversary and start trying to think of ways to talk your wife into going hiking........

We're so freaking addicted that a shakedown is our 13th anniversary celebration-this weekend!!:D

Monkeyboy
12-12-2007, 10:14
We're so freaking addicted that a shakedown is our 13th anniversary celebration-this weekend!!:D

Oh, thank God......someone else had that thought!!!

Roots
12-12-2007, 10:19
Oh, thank God......someone else had that thought!!!

Your not alone, my friend, your not alone!!:)

Cuffs
12-12-2007, 10:30
Roots! Glad you have a DH that enjoys hiking too! You are very fortunate! What better way to spend some quality time together!

(you still going to Ruck!?)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-12-2007, 10:36
::: Dino seen setting up new JRB Bear Mtn hammock & tarp in backyard due to predicted rainstorms later today :::
::: Dino neighbors seen setting up lawn chairs and making popcorn in anticipation of dino's antics :::

Cuffs
12-12-2007, 10:45
Im so glad my house is on a large parcel and surrounded by trees/shrubs. they probably think Im crazy anyway, but at least they dont have visual confirmation!

Pennsylvania Rose
12-12-2007, 13:01
Oh no - it's affecting my kids, too.

Last week my 8th grader was working on a project about preparing for natural disasters....she took my stove to school (sans fuel so she wouldn't get in trouble).

Yesterday my 5yo said, "It's pretty out. Let's go on an adventure. Climb up a mountain." Being the terrible influence I am, I enabled the addiction: we went exploring, ate dinner in the woods, and hiked back with headlamps.

Cuffs
12-12-2007, 13:08
PA Rose

So glad to hear your kids would rather get out than sit in front of the TV with video games! Be proud of them!

Roots
12-13-2007, 12:10
I had to post this. Yesterday my husband and I were out and about doing a little gear shopping-never get sick of that. We were walking through a parking lot and I noticed he was staring at a construction site towards the right of us. I said, 'What are you looking at?' He said 'I wonder if they're going to use all that Tyvek?' HA--now that's devotion!!

Thanks Cuff for the comment. I do have an absolutely wonderful hubby. See you soon :) !

warraghiyagey
12-13-2007, 12:21
. . .
So glad to hear your kids would rather get out than sit in front of the TV with video games! Be proud of them!
. . . she said from in front of her computer screen.:p :)

Cuffs
12-13-2007, 12:31
. . . she said from in front of her computer screen.:p :)

Yea, but I was on the clock making $$!

warraghiyagey
12-13-2007, 12:34
Yea, but I was on the clock making $$!
Oh. - poop or touche.:)

Cuffs
12-13-2007, 12:45
Its nice to be able to surf and get paid for it!

Monkeyboy
12-13-2007, 12:48
Laird Hamilton comes to mind.....

warraghiyagey
12-13-2007, 12:53
And we all know how hard it is to make a porch angry.

dixicritter
12-13-2007, 14:33

That's it!!! I'm adding a spew alert to all your posts from now on. LMAO

warraghiyagey
12-13-2007, 19:25
That's it!!! I'm adding a spew alert to all your posts from now on. LMAO
Thank you, thank you. In lieu of having anything of substance to say I go for the quick laugh.:) :p

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-13-2007, 19:27
i piss off of my porch around 2AM every day::: LW's neighbors set up lawn chairs during the full moon - or is that the half moon :D :::

Kirby
12-13-2007, 19:29

That was hilarious! I can not think of anything else to say..

Kirby

warraghiyagey
12-13-2007, 19:35
::: LW's neighbors set up lawn chairs during the full moon - or is that the half moon :D :::
I'm thinking Wolf wouldn't want this topic to become one of diminishing fractions.

(note to self: avoid Damascus on this years SOBO)

Chaco Taco
12-13-2007, 19:54
I had to post this. Yesterday my husband and I were out and about doing a little gear shopping-never get sick of that. We were walking through a parking lot and I noticed he was staring at a construction site towards the right of us. I said, 'What are you looking at?' He said 'I wonder if they're going to use all that Tyvek?' HA--now that's devotion!!

Thanks Cuff for the comment. I do have an absolutely wonderful hubby. See you soon :) !

HAHA, did that when i was passing someone's new house being built. The husband said, "Are you hikertrash?" I said, "Why yes, yes I am" Hey, he gave me a nice piece of Tyvek fo rmy hike. Trailangels even 4 hours away from the Trail!! They are everywhere.

Lone Wolf
12-13-2007, 20:09
::: LW's neighbors set up lawn chairs during the full moon - or is that the half moon :D :::

full moon with telescopes. i'm built like a 3 year old

warraghiyagey
12-13-2007, 20:12
Wolf, you slay me man.
:)

River Runner
12-14-2007, 00:26
Hey, I'm not addicted, I can quit any time I want.

I just don't want. :D

Smile
12-14-2007, 00:30
Trailhab. Treehab. Nobohab. Gearhab.

Definately not a 12 step program, that could just lead to one more step. :)

Tennessee Viking
12-14-2007, 00:37
OK Now I know I am in serious addiction trouble. I'm reading the news stories tonight and I read a headline that says, "Clinton's mother and daughter to hit the trail" and I immediately check out the story to see if they are really going to thru-hike. :eek:

Man oh man, I think I need an intervention :DYou are spending too much time in Nash-Vegas. I could see John McCain or John Edwards probably. The others I would see as getting their picture taken at Springer, wait 6 months, then get their picture take at Katahdin.

Rain Man
12-14-2007, 10:47

That's nuthin'. Our 30th Anniversary celebration was doing a 30-mile section of the AT!!! (Well, really it was 33 miles, but it's the thought that counts!) LOL

Rain:sunMan

Roots
12-14-2007, 11:07
That's nuthin'. Our 30th Anniversary celebration was doing a 30-mile section of the AT!!! (Well, really it was 33 miles, but it's the thought that counts!) LOL

That's awesome! So maybe should just do 13 miles!:D !

Smile
12-14-2007, 13:19
Sounds like the perfect anniversay getaway ! ;)

Roots
12-14-2007, 14:10
Sounds like the perfect anniversay getaway ! ;)

It will be until the rain, cold, wind, and snow come in to play! Snuggling will then take effect.:D

Rain Man
12-14-2007, 19:57
It will be until the rain, cold, wind, and snow come in to play! Snuggling will then take effect.:D

We broke trail through the snow on Snowbird Mountain and our water bottles froze at night. Fortunately, our sleeping bags zip together!!!

Also fortunately, we had reservations in the hot springs in Hot Springs at the end of our hike. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Smile
12-14-2007, 20:01
Now the hot spring part really sounds perfect. Always good to keep one waterbottle in the bag :)

kayak karl
12-14-2007, 20:09

Man oh man, I think I need an intervention :D
i was in the supermarket shopping, with a tape measure, measurung the height and diameter of cans. for stove stuff, people were looking at me like i was the "egg guy" in the movie CLERKS:-?
we are a strange breed!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-14-2007, 20:21
i was in the supermarket shopping, with a tape measure, measurung the height and diameter of cans. for stove stuff, people were looking at me like i was the "egg guy" in the movie CLERKS:-?
we are a strange breed!But were you wearing Frogg Toggs and a Git-er-done hat? :D

kayak karl
12-14-2007, 20:29
But were you wearing Frogg Toggs and a Git-er-done hat? :D
Hat yes, Toggs no. It wasn't raining:D

The Doctor
12-16-2007, 11:44
Im going on a 4-5 day bender starting the thursday after christmas. I'll probably stick to the uppers and downers. Can't wait to get out though.

Monkeyboy
12-18-2007, 00:33
Someone called The Doctor talking about a bender with the uppers and downers.......

There's a joke in there somewhere.....

4eyedbuzzard
12-18-2007, 08:57
:::dogs living under L Wolf's porch seen erecting silnylon tarp:::