PDA

View Full Version : Maps

ATbound
12-09-2007, 06:35
What maps should I get? I saw the ones on the ATC website, but there were so many, and they didn't show samples of what their maps look like. So I really couldn't tell how useful they would be. Help!

Peaks
12-09-2007, 09:40
Plenty of threads on the pros and cons of maps. But, I'm definately of the opinion that maps should be carried when ever you go into the woods. Although the trail is pretty well blazed, there is always that one or two times where it's not, and you never know when you might need them in an emergency. Bottom line, it's irresponsible not to carry maps.

Maps vary by the maintaining section. All are much better than they were a couple of decades ago.

So many maps, yes, but consider that they cover nearly 2200 miles of hiking trail.

SGT Rock
12-09-2007, 10:38
What maps should I get? I saw the ones on the ATC website, but there were so many, and they didn't show samples of what their maps look like. So I really couldn't tell how useful they would be. Help!
Each Trail organization along the trail produces their own set. So they all have different formats, sizes, scales, and markings based on how that local Club wants their maps. So there isn't an easy answer to what they look like. There are about 34 maps in all, with an average weight of 1.6 ounces - but some are a whole lot heavier and some are very small.

They are useful for a few things:

1. They help finance the trail. There is no fee to hike the AT, so everyone hikes for free. That said, it costs money for the ATC to support the trail. If you take it as a given it takes about 6 months to hike the trail, then the price for the entire map set from the ATC comes out at about $1 a day for your whole hike. That price is if you are an ATC member - which you really ought to be for the good of the trail.

2. They help you orient yourself. If you go with just a guidebook, then you know at mile 465.3 you will cross a road that right takes you to this town and left takes you to that campground. But if you have a map, then you can see the towns and roads where they are. Sometimes a cross trail or old FS road that is on the map is not listed at all in these guidebooks. The map can let you know that one of these can be a better route out of the mountains if you need to get out for whatever reason. They also can clue you in to some of the sights, interesting trails, or other things that are around the AT that are frankly left out of the guidebooks which are mostly written on the premise of how to hike the trail and do re-supply or sleep in shelters.

3. Navigation. I've noticed these guidebooks leave out major trail crossings, water sources, side trails, and other things that if you have a map you would see. Other things I have seen are hikers on the wrong trails because they are using guidebooks and not using a map. So when they come to the Boulevard trail in the Smokies they go the wrong trail and don't realize it until they are on Mt Leconte. If they had a map it would show them how other trails travel, so when they are on a knife edge ridge instead of a wide hilltop they can see they are on the wrong trail.

4. They are interesting to look at. I love pulling out maps on breaks to read the terrain around where I am and look at where I am going.

Pedaling Fool
12-09-2007, 10:58
4. They are interesting to look at. I love pulling out maps on breaks to read the terrain around where I am and look at where I am going.
...And how many times have you had non-map carriers huddle around when you get your map out...too many for me to count.

SGT Rock
12-09-2007, 11:02
...And how many times have you had non-map carriers huddle around when you get your map out...too many for me to count.
Now on that score I can only remember a couple of times. It seems this is more likely to happen when I start telling someone what I am doing and they get this confused look on their face as I tell them about landmarks that are not in the guidebook. So I pull out my map and show them what I am talking about. Usually this is met with a statement about the cool map or a question about where I got that cool map. These are not usually thru-hikers I am talking to. Most of the coversations they have are:

"How much further is it to the shelter"

"Is there anyone at the next shelter already"

"How is the water at the next shelter"

"Is there a privy at the next shelter"

mountain squid
12-09-2007, 11:03
Definitely get the ATC's Guidebook Special (https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=69&compid=1) while it is on sale (until the 20th).

See you on the trail,
mt squid

edit alert: SGT Rock, who is the 'god of the trail'?:confused: :rolleyes: :D

SGT Rock
12-09-2007, 11:07
Definitely get the ATC's Guidebook Special (https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=69&compid=1) while it is on sale (until the 20th).

See you on the trail,
mt squid

edit alert: SGT Rock, who is the 'god of the trail'?:confused: :rolleyes: :DRedneck spellcheck.

kayak karl
12-09-2007, 11:08
1. They help finance the trail. There is no fee to hike the AT, so everyone hikes for free. That said, it costs money for the ATC to support the trail. If you take it as a given it takes about 6 months to hike the trail, then the price for the entire map set from the ATC comes out at about $1 a day for your whole hike. That price is if you are an ATC member - which you really ought to be for the god of the trail.

Is this the most updated set i can get from the atc ?

https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=69&compid=1

I,ve had people in cars ask for directions when they see me with a map out.

SGT Rock
12-09-2007, 11:14
I would go "Maps by the Bundle" https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=190&compid=1 which is $165.45 for the set with ATC membership and then get the Companion or a similar guidebook: https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=564&compid=1 for $4.75 for ATC members.

Skyline
12-09-2007, 11:53
Hopefully it won't happen to you, but some hikers have experienced emergencies along the AT and had to get off the trail in a hurry. Injury, illness, weather, or an urgent message from home are all reasons to need to make a fast exit. Having good maps with you show you the best way(s) out. Most guidebooks won't have this information--especially regarding where side trails away from road crossings will take you. Maps will, much of the time.

You can always look at someone else's map in such a situation before leaving the trail, but once you get started on your trek away from the trail having a map with you is wiser. Many side trails connect to other side trails which connect to more before you get back to "civilization," and then there may be multiple roads to traverse to get you to a town. Only those with good photographic memories (from looking at someone else's map at a shelter, for example) would do well without a map in his or her possession during a scenario like this.

EWS
12-09-2007, 11:59
How often do they update the maps?

SGT Rock
12-09-2007, 12:02
Each group does this on its own time-line. The National Geographic for the Smokies is probably an example of a map that updates every couple of years - they just got the BMT on there so I had to go get a new one. I think the Pennsylvania section is way older.

mountain squid
12-09-2007, 12:02
:-? belay my last....Getting just the maps would save about $25. The Guidebook Special is a better value, but the guidebooks are not 100% necessary...Go with SGT Rock's link...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Pedaling Fool
12-09-2007, 12:03
I called the ATC and asked this same question. They connected me to their "map guru", I forget his name, but he was not able to give me a straight answer. He also was telling me they were working on standardizing the map set.

SGT Rock
12-09-2007, 12:05
He also was telling me they were working on standardizing the map set.

That would be a good thing.

Pedaling Fool
12-09-2007, 12:06
:-? belay my last....
mt squid
Been a while since I've heard that. Who'd a guess the next time I heard that would be on a hiking forum...

Chainsaw 08
12-09-2007, 13:51
Do most the maps in the ATC set include blue-blaze trails?

I'd like to do a fair bit of alternative routing, as well as getting off to go see waterfalls, etc.

minnesotasmith
12-09-2007, 14:02
He also was telling me they were working on standardizing the map set.

Starting with map and elevation profile scales, and ideally on how frequently the maps are updated with reroutes and road/other trail crossings added.

Pedaling Fool
12-09-2007, 14:13

I'd like to do a fair bit of alternative routing, as well as getting off to go see waterfalls, etc.
Yes, to some extent, but you take your chances when using blue-blaze trails. One time, in particular, I remember was when I took the sand-spring trail in Pennsylvania, intersects AT ~2.75 miles south of Rausch Gap Shelter.
The trail was not maintained and had numerous blow-downs, big blow-downs, almost unpassable. For a section there were no blazes and the trail seemed to disappear, requiring me to use my compass and map to find the AT.

dessertrat
12-09-2007, 14:16
With no map, you end up camping in an ugly spot, then waking up in the morning and finding out that if you had kept going for another half mile, you would have camped in a really nice spot. Also, you don't always know how far it is to the next water with no map. Those alone make it worth having maps, even if it means mail-dropping them to yourself.

Lone Wolf
12-09-2007, 14:26

yes they do

BigStu
12-09-2007, 14:57
I bought the Central Virginia set (Trail Guide and three maps) through the AT store and I have been sitting this afternoon dreaming of when I can get my feet onto the trail.

Looking at the detail on this set of maps I would say that they are very good. Clear markings of contours, streams, available water and public services & (most importantly for me) shelters (I like my kip, you see). Very clear mileage markings across the sections too.

I will tell you in May '08 if they are as good as they look (and if my navigation skills were up to scratch) :D

WalkinHome
12-09-2007, 14:57
Speaking for Maine only, we update and publish new maps about every 4-6 years depending on sales. The trail is changing very little in insignificant ways so the updates are usually minor. As far as standardizing, that is a dream the ATC has that I am not sure is shared throughout the maintaining clubs. Having said that, it is my understanding that many of the clubs put together the information and hand it off to the ATC for publishing etc so the ATC might have a bit more influence on those documents. Also I would reiterate that the sales of these materials go a long way to helping the maintaining clubs fund maintenance efforts. Be safe

Chainsaw 08
12-09-2007, 15:05
I would go "Maps by the Bundle" https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=190&compid=1 which is $165.45 for the set with ATC membership and then get the Companion or a similar guidebook: https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=564&compid=1 for $4.75 for ATC members.

What's the difference between that and the Guidebook special?

https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=69&compid=1

SGT Rock
12-09-2007, 15:48
The guidebook special comes with a stack of books that are made by the section's different clubs for the area they maintain. They are actualy VERY detailed and often include lots of data that are not in the thru-hiking guides about stuff along the trail and side trails.

Sounds like a good deal, and if you were sectioning the AT and wanting to explore and know what trails you could use to make loops and link ups they really could be. But for someone going any distance they really just turn into a lot of useless book.

he reason is this: they break down the AT into sections that are typically 10-15 miles long (sometimes longer, sometimes shorter) and describe the trail in detail in one direction - very detailed, often covering where the trail turns, powerlines you go under, where something use to be, rocks you see beside the trail - which can bog you down with 30 item listings for a 10 mile section. Then they do it again in the other direction.

And then they also have an overview for each of these small sections, and they also decribe approaches and loops and re-supply, and campsites, and shelters for each of these small sections. So what you end up with are 10 "chapters" that are long listings of all this extra information and each one repeats half of what was in the last chapter. Then they repeat what is said in their own chapter, then repeat half of what you will find in the next chapter. So in the end the book ends up being a bunch of pages of information you never ever need.

So in the end, for a thru-hiker or someone doing a hike that carries them through more than a couple of the 10-15 mile sections, they get really unwieldy. Guidebooks like the Thru-Hikers Handbook, the Companion, or the Appalachian Pages (I assume, haven't seen it yet) end up being more suited for a thru-hiker's needs.

bigboots
12-09-2007, 15:53
the "maps by the bundle include only the maps for all sections of the trail.
the "guide book bundle" includes both the maps and the guide books for all sections of the trail.
and the companion is a single book with info on the entire trail (I don't have this one so if someone has greater detail on it...)

Bigboots

bigboots
12-09-2007, 15:54
It appears I was to slow.

SGT Rock
12-09-2007, 15:55
Or I write too much.

Tin Man
12-09-2007, 15:55
The books also include the rules and regs for each area of the trail and other helpful information for planning a trip.

Chainsaw 08
12-09-2007, 15:58
Thanks for the info, guys.

map man
12-09-2007, 16:30
I just received the whole map bundle in the last month, so here's the most recent info for each map set.

Two maps covering GA and NC south of Great Smoky Mountains NP : 2004; scale = 1:63,360 (in other words, 1 inch = 1 mile); contour interval = 40 ft. (a contour line on a map will show exactly where 2000 feet, for example, is located on your map; contour interval means there is a line ,usually a faint one, for every 40 feet of elevation change, for example. Every fifth line is a little darker than the other lines). One thing about these two GA/NC maps I'm not crazy about is that the Nantahala National Wilderness area is indicated with cross-hatching in a way that obscures other lines a bit, until you get used to looking at it.

One map covering the GSMNP: 2004 (john gault points out that a 2007 edition is out, but ATC sent me 2004); 1:70,000; 50 ft. contour intervals. This is the only map in the set not geared specifically for users of the AT, but the AT is very well marked.

Two maps for the rest of NC and TN: 2005; 1:63,360; 100 ft. contour intervals.

Five maps for Virginia south of Shenandoah NP: 2007, except the northern-most one (just south of SNP), which is 2001; 1:63,360; 100 ft. contour intervals. These maps cover a narrower corrider than the other AT maps do. There's more text printed with them than any of the other map sets. It's like each map includes its own mini guidebook (the Maine maps also have a lot of info on the back sides of the maps).

Nine maps for SNP through central PA (to Duncannon): these range in date from 2001 to 2007; four different scales ranging randomly between 1:50,000 and 1:63,360, depending on the map; three different contour intervals -- PA maps have 20 ft. intervals, the rest with 100 ft. intervals except for the one for WV and very northern VA, which has a 10 meter interval. Also, all of these maps north of SNP have print on only one side -- argh! The Potomac Appalachian Trail Club publishes this set and I wonder if a different committee designed each of the nine maps!

Two maps for the rest of PA: southern one is 2004, northern one (Swatara Gap to DWG) is 1998; 1:63,360; 100ft. contour intervals.

Two maps for NJ and NY: 2007; 1:63,360; 50 ft. contour intervals.

Three maps for CT and MA: 2000; 1:38,750; contour intervals vary from (going south to north) 10 feet, 3 meters, and 6 meters. Don't let the meters throw you off. Three meters is only 1% different than 10 feet, 6 meters 1% different than 20 feet. Major high and low points are labeled in both meters and feet. I like this set because it has the most detailed scale of all the AT maps.

Four maps for VT and NH: 2001; 1:62,500; 20 ft. or 40 ft. contour intervals (the "base maps" for this set are the USGS 7.5 minute topo maps, and for the AT in these states there are also a handful where the contour intervals are 6 meters). These maps are the least colorful for the whole AT. Those base maps that the AT info is printed over the top of are of a uniform, dull brownish orange color.

Seven maps for Maine: 2004, 1:62,500; 50ft. contour intervals. The Maine maps also use shading to show changes in elevation (with lots and lots of shading in the rugged southwestern part of the AT in the state!). "Shaded relief" maps like this mimic what a landscape would look like with a semi-low sun shining down, leaving the far side of steep slopes in shade. People not accustomed to reading contour lines sometimes find this to be a more intuitive way to show relief features. I'm so used to looking at contour lines to show ruggedness that sometimes I find the shading distracting. Still, they are very handsome maps, even though I find their folding scheme to be more awkward than the other map sets.

All maps, even the one not AT specific published by National Geographic for GSMNP, have elevation profiles for the AT which look a bit like that blip on a heart monitor for someone with a really erratic pulse! Many maps also include something called a "trail log." This shows how many miles between the points of interest on each map, like road crossings, shelters, scenic high points, and so forth.

The smallest maps (VT/NH) are 10 inches by 32 inches (though a couple are wider than this); the largest map is the one for GSMNP, 26 by 37 inches. They are all fold-up maps. The largest in folded-up form is just over 4 by 9 inches. They all feel pretty durable, most use a glossy heavy paper, but they do NOT seem to be waterproof.

Pedaling Fool
12-09-2007, 16:39
I just received the whole map bundle in the last month, so here's the most recent info for each map set.

One map covering the GSMNP: 2004; 1:70,000; 50 ft. contour intervals. This is the only map in the set not geared specifically for users of the AT, but the AT is very well marked.

I also have GSMNP revision 2004, which I got for my 2006 hike. However, I just got back from a local outfitter and noticed that the Nat Geo map for GSMNP is now a 2007 revision and includes the BMT, which my 2004 rev. does not.

ATbound
12-09-2007, 19:31
All this is exactly the information I was looking for! Thank you all so much! See you on the trail.

kayak karl
12-09-2007, 20:52
What book would yous suggest for your home support? so they know where u r and mail drops and stuff.

Pedaling Fool
12-09-2007, 20:55
What book would yous suggest for your home support? so they know where u r and mail drops and stuff.
All you need for that is the AT Data Book.

Jack Tarlin
12-09-2007, 21:00
I disagree.

You'll want your basecamp people to have a book with more information, like the Thru Hikers Handbook or the Thru Hikers Companion. The Data Book only has adresses for Post Offices. Your friends and familieis will also want to know the names and addresses (and other contact information) for all sorts of other places, like Hostels; Outfitters; Motels; etc. There will be all sorts of places where your folks will be wanting to get in touch with you, or will be wanting to send you stuff, and the Data Book alone will not be much help here. Best thing to do, is when you decide which Trail Guide you intend to use, buy two of them.

kayak karl
12-09-2007, 21:54
Thru Hikers Handbook or the Thru Hikers Companion
Whats the difference? and does the ATC offer both?
Looked, couldn't see Handbook!

Jack Tarlin
12-09-2007, 21:57
The Handbook is available at www.trailplace.com

You can get the companion at www.appalachiantrail.org

Both books are very similar and it really doesn't matter much which one you elect to use.

Kirby
12-09-2007, 22:00
Thru Hikers Handbook or the Thru Hikers Companion
Whats the difference? and does the ATC offer both?
Looked, couldn't see Handbook!

From what I gathered, the only reason there was ever really "debate" over the quality and reasons behind each book had to do with the fact that the Handbook was published by someone who was considered divisive in the AT world, but that is no longer the case. The Handbook is now published by Bob McCaw, a very nice man from the one interaction I have had with him.

IMO, the ATC-ALDHA created book is physically designed in an annoying way, the information is great though.

Kirby

Jack Tarlin
12-09-2007, 22:05
Kirby:

With all due respect, you are misinformed.

Dan Bruce had his detractors, but there are also many people who respect him
very much and are in his debt for everything he did over the years for hikers, especially his creation of the Thru-Hikers Handbook, which has been used by more A.T. thru-hikers over the years than any other guide.

To dismiss Mr. Bruce as being nothing more than "divisive" is as unkind as it is untrue.

Pedaling Fool
12-09-2007, 22:06
IMO, the ATC-ALDHA created book is physically designed in an annoying way, the information is great though.

Kirby
That's why I left my Companion at home and took the Handbook. It was all about format; as far as information, both are good and both have mistakes, understandably.

jtbradyl
12-10-2007, 00:06
You know something, I don't give a hoot whether anybody or any organization supports a trail,I'm not giving a dime. I have been on trails where no one would have any idea of giving money for improvements. I spent 8 hours one day dropping rocks into a stream so I could cross it and never expected anything and people who came later made further improvements (although not very good). I never expected anything except to get to the other side. This is all garbage. The trail will still be there after you're through.

kayak karl
12-10-2007, 00:13
You know something, I don't give a hoot whether anybody or any organization supports a trail,I'm not giving a dime. I have been on trails where no one would have any idea of giving money for improvements. I spent 8 hours one day dropping rocks into a stream so I could cross it and never expected anything and people who came later made further improvements (although not very good). I never expected anything except to get to the other side. This is all garbage. The trail will still be there after you're through.
Should of built a bridge, they would of named it after u.

kayak karl
12-10-2007, 00:15
That's why I left my Companion at home and took the Handbook. It was all about format; as far as information, both are good and both have mistakes, understandably.
Thats what i need to hear.:)

A-Train
12-10-2007, 00:39
From what I gathered, the only reason there was ever really "debate" over the quality and reasons behind each book had to do with the fact that the Handbook was published by someone who was considered divisive in the AT world, but that is no longer the case. The Handbook is now published by Bob McCaw, a very nice man from the one interaction I have had with him.

Kirby

I've been around dozens of fire circles and shelters where people took great pleasure in badmouthing Wingfoot. Most of these people of course never met Dan. However, almost uniformly they carried his guidebook

Tin Man
12-10-2007, 01:14
I've been around dozens of fire circles and shelters where people took great pleasure in badmouthing Wingfoot. Most of these people of course never met Dan. However, almost uniformly they carried his guidebook

Well, he did appear to have a singular way for hiking the AT and knocking those who disagreed off his website. And just when I got past some of that myself, he goes and deletes all the content, postings and journals off his site. I would have been really PO'd if I had entrusted him with protecting my journal.

ki0eh
12-10-2007, 10:07
Yes, to some extent, but you take your chances when using blue-blaze trails. One time, in particular, I remember was when I took the sand-spring trail in Pennsylvania, intersects AT ~2.75 miles south of Rausch Gap Shelter.
The trail was not maintained and had numerous blow-downs, big blow-downs, almost unpassable. For a section there were no blazes and the trail seemed to disappear, requiring me to use my compass and map to find the AT.

You cite a good example of why footpaths should be maintained and protected, that I happen to know a little bit about since that particular path diverges from my assigned A.T. section.

On that particular tract of land, Pennsylvania State Game Land No. 211, the A.T. itself enjoys state and federal protection, however the side trails are not presently formally adopted or maintained by anyone.

A couple of years ago, Susquehanna A.T. Club http://www.satc-hike.org was reassigned maintenance of the adjacent A.T., from PA 325 to the turnoff for Rausch Gap shelter. I understand there was a request for formal adoption of the side trails shown on the PA A.T. map made at that time. Unfortunately, the fellow who coordinated such issues for the PA Game Commission also reportedly left that post around that time, and was not apparently replaced. So as far as I understand the request remains in limbo.

It is possible some maintenance of existing side paths through here may be done without formal sanction, however taken quite literally this may put the hard working volunteer in the position of being a violator of law.

However, the hiker violates no law by walking on the path that may sometimes exist, as long as it's on open public land, so the maps show these to enable you to HYOH, beware though as stated.

Flush2wice
12-10-2007, 10:26
very much and are in his debt for everything he did over the years for hikers, especially his creation of the Thru-Hikers Handbook, which has been used by more A.T. thru-hikers over the years than any other guide.

Actually Dan didn't create the the Handbook, he took it over from a previous author.

Tin Man
12-10-2007, 10:29
Actually Dan didn't create the the Handbook, he took it over from a previous author.

Let's not get all technical. :) Dan put a lot of effort into it over many years.

the_iceman
12-10-2007, 18:00
Wingfoot put a lot of information in his book. There were errors and some incorrect information but the percentage of errors was no greater than any other book. The format was good and this book did indeed help hundreds (maybe thousands) of people complete a thru-hike, myself included.

Dan became an easy target because he got involved and spoke his mind. But the fact is he DID SOMETHING, HE CONTIBUTED. If you do not want ridicule do nothing that anyone will notice. It is safe but it contributes nothing to your fellow man. Hey I joked about Wingfoot, and bitched when I could not find a spring that the book mentioned but what none of us do is think ”Hey, I did find water the other 99% of the time and that saved my ass.” -- THANKS DAN.

I also carried the maps and was glad for it although the profiles seemed way off some days. The other thing is some maps are terribly out of date. I bought the yearend Map and Book special for members. It was supposedly the latest and greatest but some maps dated back to 2001 (6 years old) since their last update.

SGT Rock
12-10-2007, 19:06
Lets not turn this into another WF thread please. He did some great things for the trail and has retired from the Trail and the community - lets let him rest on that.

Kirby
12-10-2007, 19:08
Kirby:

With all due respect, you are misinformed.

To dismiss Mr. Bruce as being nothing more than "divisive" is as unkind as it is untrue.

Perhaps "divisive" was not the proper word for what I was trying to convey. Basically what I was trying to say is that some people, for some reason, purposefully do not use his guide because he kicked them off his site, or Wingfoot did something to irritate, I met a few thru-hikers in the wilderness who, when I asked how they chose which guidebook to carry, stated they are carrying the ATC guide because Wingfoot kicked them of his site. I personally have nothing against Wingfoot and like his guide(now Bob McCaw's) more than the ATC-ALDHA guide.

However, this conversation is not about Wingfoot, and I apologize to the thread starter for drifting the thread.

Kirby

Kirby
12-10-2007, 19:08
Lets not turn this into another WF thread please. He did some great things for the trail and has retired from the Trail and the community - lets let him rest on that.

Sorry Rock, I posted my previous post before I saw this post, you can delete it if that would help bring things back on track.

Kirby

Pedaling Fool
12-10-2007, 19:09
Roger That!

SGT Rock
12-10-2007, 19:17
Naw, lets just leave off discussions of WF from here on out.

saimyoji
12-10-2007, 20:38
PA MAPS OUT OF DATE.....

....at least in the Delps area between Little Gap and Smith Gap. There is a new spring (forget the name) between Delps spring and smith gap rd. Its about .6 mi down the hill. Make a note on your map. :)

the_iceman
12-11-2007, 07:14
Water was a huge problem in PA this year. If trail angels had not left gallons of water at road crossings there would have been a lot of people in trouble.

The drought like conditions lasted pretty much all the way to Maine. If you are hiking do not rely 100% on the "next" water source becuase it just might not be there. If you are low and you see water get some. Do not wait until the next stream or spring becuase it just may be dry.

For example, the map showed 4 different streams coming into Monson, ME that we just dry ditches when I got to them. For me, water became my number 1 objective in planning the day and where to camp.

Marta
12-11-2007, 07:41
The National Geographic for the Smokies is probably an example of a map that updates every couple of years - they just got the BMT on there so I had to go get a new one.

I'm glad to hear that. I have an old NG map. No mention of the BMT on it.

I called the ATC and asked this same question. They connected me to their "map guru", I forget his name, but he was not able to give me a straight answer. He also was telling me they were working on standardizing the map set.

Did he say anything about when the unified map series would be out?

Speaking for Maine only, we update and publish new maps about every 4-6 years depending on sales. The trail is changing very little in insignificant ways so the updates are usually minor.

The Maine maps are some of my favorites in the whole series. I especially like the little schematic on the back that shows streams, springs, and notable features.

Pedaling Fool
12-11-2007, 10:11
Did he say anything about when the unified map series would be out?

No, he was just talking "Grand Schemes"; did not seem like they had an active program or plan.

Pedaling Fool
12-11-2007, 10:14
No, he was just talking "Grand Schemes"; did not seem like they had an active program or plan.
Note: This phone call was in late 2005 or early 2006, just before my thru-hike. Maybe one will get a different answer today.

SawnieRobertson
12-16-2007, 21:23
Kirby, something has not been mentioned. I dont recall seeing it anyhow. Many cut pages to fit maps and staple those pages to others from guidebooks covering the same section and then carry map and stapled pages from point to point. Having the information along really makes the hike more interesting. On the other hand, unless you go to this trouble, you will have to carry much too much weight and bulk to make carrying the information worthwhile. It's a good way to pass the time now as you put things together for your hike. Another thing I have seen but did not do myself was the hiker placing all that information on a single sheet of copier paper, representing the day as he/she anticipated hiking it. Doing this really helps with focusing in on what you are going to do as well as visualizing how you will do it. You are an extraordinary young man, and I hope that when you are preparing your "pages" that you will pen in my name for shuttling or any help needed when you are in Southwest Virginia (a whole guidebook).--Kinnickinic

Kirby
12-16-2007, 21:55
Kirby, something has not been mentioned. I dont recall seeing it anyhow. Many cut pages to fit maps and staple those pages to others from guidebooks covering the same section and then carry map and stapled pages from point to point. Having the information along really makes the hike more interesting. On the other hand, unless you go to this trouble, you will have to carry much too much weight and bulk to make carrying the information worthwhile. It's a good way to pass the time now as you put things together for your hike. Another thing I have seen but did not do myself was the hiker placing all that information on a single sheet of copier paper, representing the day as he/she anticipated hiking it. Doing this really helps with focusing in on what you are going to do as well as visualizing how you will do it. You are an extraordinary young man, and I hope that when you are preparing your "pages" that you will pen in my name for shuttling or any help needed when you are in Southwest Virginia (a whole guidebook).--Kinnickinic

Will you be listed in the 08 Thru Hikers Handbook?

If not, please PM me your contact info, and I will be sure to contact you when I approach your neck of the woods.

Kirby