View Full Version : The Best Hiker Store Ever

Lion King
12-09-2007, 17:38
http://209.200.85.146/trailjournals/photos/5876/tj5876_120907_154837_286611.jpg

In Council Bluffs Iowa.

I thought this was great!

Pacific Tortuga
12-09-2007, 17:44
They had one of them in Lake Havasu City, AZ. Hikers and batchelors best friend, or close to it.

DAKS
12-09-2007, 17:44
i.e., multitasking!!!!!

warraghiyagey
12-09-2007, 18:00
My favorite is still at Abol Bridge.

taildragger
12-09-2007, 18:42
They had one of them in Lake Havasu City, AZ. Hikers and batchelors best friend, or close to it.

Its missing one thing to be the best bachelor store ever...:banana

Pacific Tortuga
12-09-2007, 18:51
Its missing one thing to be the best bachelor store ever...:banana

Na, they served up a great spread with a AYCE on Sunday.

mudhead
12-09-2007, 18:52
They will sell socks starting next week.

Jack Tarlin
12-09-2007, 18:53
That is not a bad combination.

Another favorite, years back, was in Virginia.

Name of the business: Damascus Video and Gun.

warraghiyagey
12-09-2007, 19:18
Right next Happy Endings Massage and Ice Cream??

Landshark
12-09-2007, 21:28
There is one in Killington, VT called Scrub a Dub Pub. I don't think it's open in the summer though! :confused:

In Churebusko, NY (sp?) outside Plattsburgh there is "Dick's Country Store and Music Oasis" specializing in Guitars, Guns, and Groceries!

buckowens
12-09-2007, 21:47
America is a wonderful land...:D

WalkinHome
12-09-2007, 22:04
Had one of these here awhile back called Wash and Slosh. They had a bank of windows seperating the two parts so you could actually watch your laundry LOL. Gone now.

Montego
12-09-2007, 22:08
Had one across from the Blvd Mall in Vegas, called "Suds 'N Suds" complete with slot machines :D

Hooch
12-09-2007, 22:16
Had one across from the Blvd Mall in Vegas, called "Suds 'N Suds" complete with slot machines :DIn Jacksonville, NC, just outside Camp Lejeune, there used to be a Duds-N-Suds in town. Very popular place to do your laundry/get a beer or twelve while you wait. My roommate and I used to do laundry there all the time instead of using the facilities in the barracks.

Cuffs
12-09-2007, 22:33
At least those are cool ones... here in Alabama its Pizza, video and tanning!?!?

Cuffs
12-09-2007, 22:36
At least you dont have "Giant Johnsons"... no, not that... its a grocery store!

Montego
Had one of these here awhile back called Wash and Slosh. They had a bank of windows seperating the two parts so you could actually watch your laundry LOL. Gone now.

Got so tanked up once, walked (well staggered) out and forgot me laudry. How the H*** did that ever happen?:-?

Hooch
At least those are cool ones... here in Alabama its Pizza, video and tanning!?!?I don't see how that's a problem, really. Throw in some beer and you're set. Just don't get too blitzed and forget to get out of the tanning bed in time. :eek:

warraghiyagey
12-09-2007, 22:40
There's a package store in Salem Mass. called Bunghole Liquors.
Referring of course to where you tape a wine cask.

Cuffs
12-09-2007, 22:50
I don't see how that's a problem, really. Throw in some beer and you're set. Just don't get too blitzed and forget to get out of the tanning bed in time. :eek:

No blitzing allowed... 1/2 the counties here are still DRY!?!?!:eek:

Cuffs
12-09-2007, 22:51
Referring of course to where you tape a wine cask.

Learn something new every day....

Hooch
12-09-2007, 22:53
Referring of course to where you tape a wine cask.Not sure that I'd buy anything to drink there.

No blitzing allowed... 1/2 the counties here are still DRY!?!?!:eek:Why are there dry counties anywhere in the south? I still don't get that.

Cuffs
12-09-2007, 22:55
Its the Devil in a bottle! (middle of the Bible belt...)

warraghiyagey
12-09-2007, 22:55
. . .
Why are there dry counties anywhere in the south? I still don't get that.
Dear God please protect me from this:

Cuz they don't want to be sloshed the next time the Yankees come callin.

:D :o :)

Cuffs
12-09-2007, 22:56
Optometrist: Spex in the City

Tin Man
12-09-2007, 22:59
Someone I knew told me about a suds-and-duds (or something like that) in Milford,CT. Sounds like a natural combination and not all that unique.

Hooch
12-09-2007, 23:02
Optometrist: Spex in the CityThee's a florist in Asheville, NC called "Kabloom!". I like that one. :D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-09-2007, 23:02
Pizza, Suds and Duds in South Knoxville, TN

warraghiyagey
12-09-2007, 23:03
Thee's a florist in Asheville, NC called "Kabloom!". I like that one. :D
Run by terrorists????
:p

Hooch
12-09-2007, 23:04
Run by terrorists????
:p
Ya know I never checked to see. Every time I go by, it looks to be pretty busy. Guessing it's not Muslim run.

Cuffs
12-09-2007, 23:10
I think in AZ (or was it NM?) I saw 2 BBQ joints The Horney Toad and The Satisfied Frog

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-10-2007, 06:56
A Den of Antiquity - Asheville NC

Hooch
12-10-2007, 07:30
A Den of Antiquity - Asheville NC
Asheville is a pretty eclectic little place. I love it and make it a point to stop there for a lilttle bit on my trips back and forth to Charlotte.

Furlough
12-10-2007, 08:37
In Norfolk Va there is a Soap and Suds located near both Old Dominion University and the Navy Base.

envirodiver
12-10-2007, 15:31
In Smithville, TN a place named "Shoes & Cheese"

Just off I-24 between Chattanooga and Nashville a place that advertises "Fireworks, Elvis and Beer". Had to stop, coldest beer I ever had, Bought an Elvis shot glass.

Thank ya, thank ya very much.

Yukon
12-10-2007, 15:47
Wow, what a great store!! :clap

Mags
12-10-2007, 15:55
In Rawlins, Wy (on the CDT), there is this store... (http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=36&g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=14241)

In Estes Park, CO the local pharmacy (http://rockymountainpharmacy.com/liquor.htm) has LIQUORY PHARMACY on the side of the building. Drugs and booze in spot. :-?

D'Artagnan
12-10-2007, 16:35
In Rawlins, Wy (on the CDT), there is this store... (http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=36&g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=14241)

In Estes Park, CO the local pharmacy (http://rockymountainpharmacy.com/liquor.htm) has LIQUORY PHARMACY on the side of the building. Drugs and booze in spot. :-?

Depending on your romantic inclinations, a liquor store/pharmacy is not a bad combination! :D

Tin Man
12-10-2007, 16:39
Depending on your romantic inclinations, a liquor store/pharmacy is not a bad combination! :D

Especially if one or the other sell flowers and fine chocolates. :D

DawnTreader
12-10-2007, 16:44
Dear God please protect me from this:

Cuz they don't want to be sloshed the next time the Yankees come callin.

:D :o :)

reminds me of that time at White House, when we ran into that nice couple section hiking.. I think they were from Virgina, and we got to talking about the civil war, and the first mention of the term "civil war," the man calmly turns his head and says "you mean the war of northern aggression!" I'll never forget the fire in his eyes and the conviction with wich he spoke.. I guess the war still rages for some.. nice couple though.. . Luckily they accepted Morgan as a peace offering.. I wonder what ever happened to that kid?

Mags
12-10-2007, 17:02

Valium, wine and flowers?

Sounds like an alt-country song....

warraghiyagey
12-11-2007, 07:54
reminds me of that time at White House, when we ran into that nice couple section hiking.. I think they were from Virgina, and we got to talking about the civil war, and the first mention of the term "civil war," the man calmly turns his head and says "you mean the war of northern aggression!" I'll never forget the fire in his eyes and the conviction with wich he spoke.. I guess the war still rages for some.. nice couple though.. . Luckily they accepted Morgan as a peace offering.. I wonder what ever happened to that kid?Can't tell you how many times I've told that story since then. Including a few times on the trail this year with Brit.
Last I heard there's a popular dish in central Maine called Morgan Stew.

Hooch
12-11-2007, 08:11
Depending on your romantic inclinations, a liquor store/pharmacy is not a bad combination! :DInclinations or abilities? Who's got game? :eek:

"you mean the war of northern aggression!" One of my brothers still calls it that. Don't know what's up with that, but it's his opinion. :D

DAKS
12-11-2007, 10:11
on my way to work this morning, i saw not one, but two "soaps-n-suds" laundromat and lounge in newport news virginia! these two very nice establishments could not have been more than a couple of miles away from one another. VERY NICE!!!

taildragger
12-11-2007, 10:25
Valium, wine and flowers?

Sounds like an alt-country song....

I'm gonna guess that someone like Ragweed has a song similiar to or about that.

Landshark
12-11-2007, 21:42
While we're on the subject of funny names for establishments...

There is a "chain" of funeral homes in the Buffalo and Niagara Falls region called.... wait for it...
Amigone Funeral Home.

(Um.... if you have to ask....)

Montego
12-11-2007, 21:46
If you had to replace the muffler on your car, would you go to "Rusty's Muffler"? I wouldn't. (It's in Colorado Springs, CO) :-?

Lilred
12-11-2007, 22:52
Laundromat in WPB Fl., when I lived there years ago, called Duds and Suds. Only time I enjoyed doing laundry :)

There was a liquor store I saw once, wish I could remember where, I think it was in Binghamton NY, no lie, it was called Liquor Box.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-11-2007, 23:34
Liquor and Kicker - a sports bar

warraghiyagey
12-11-2007, 23:40
Ouch. . . kind of.:)

Tin Man
12-11-2007, 23:40
While we're on the subject of funny names for establishments...

There is a "chain" of funeral homes in the Buffalo and Niagara Falls region called.... wait for it...
Amigone Funeral Home.

(Um.... if you have to ask....)

And that's no joke folks...

http://www.amigonefuneral.com/

Tin Man
12-11-2007, 23:41

Liquor and Kicker? Where?

Monkeyboy
12-11-2007, 23:48
Actually saw a drive-in liquor store in Texas once......

That almost sounds like a good idea......almost.

Tin Man
12-11-2007, 23:50
Laundromat in WPB Fl., when I lived there years ago, called Duds and Suds. Only time I enjoyed doing laundry :)

There was a liquor store I saw once, wish I could remember where, I think it was in Binghamton NY, no lie, it was called Liquor Box.

Google told me that there is a Liquor Box in Rochester, a Buc's Liquor Box in Clyde, NY and another dozen Liquor Box's around the U.S. and Canada. Suds and Duds comes in pairs. I wonder what business lies adjacent to the Box.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-11-2007, 23:51
Liquor and Kicker? Where?Passed it somewhere in Illinois - don't remember the city.

Tin Man
12-11-2007, 23:52
Liquor and Kicker? Where?

Passed it somewhere in Illinois - don't remember the city.

Read my question again, faster this time.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-11-2007, 23:55
:o:o:o:o:o:o

Tin Man
12-12-2007, 00:23
:o:o:o:o:o

Just messing with ya. ;)

grizzlyadam
12-12-2007, 01:43
Suds and Duds in Greensboro, NC. It was at this fine establishment one night that i made a life changing decision- to go hike the AT.

Twelve days later i'd quit my job, moved out of my apartment, and was standing on Springer Mountain.

The beginning of a northbound hike.

My backpack literally weighed almost a hundred pounds. I was young and dumb and had no idea what i was doing.

I sat for a long time at the start of the trail, beside the plaque embedded in a rock beneath a star-filled sky.

Clueless.

Starting that hike seven years ago changed everything for me. I’ve never looked back. It has been one adventure after another. I’m always ready for something new and exciting.

In seven years i’ve walked much of the AT, lived in the ghetto, driven a lobster boat, seen the state where i was born and raised by foot & bicycle, lived in New Mexico, fallen in love with a cowgirl in California, driven across the country no less than six times, and launched a career as a photographer.....

Ah, Suds and Duds....

warraghiyagey
12-12-2007, 01:45
Suds and Duds in Greensboro, NC. It was at this fine establishment one night that i made a life changing decision- to go hike the AT.

Twelve days later i'd quit my job, moved out of my apartment, and was standing on Springer Mountain.

The beginning of a northbound hike.

My backpack literally weighed almost a hundred pounds. I was young and dumb and had no idea what i was doing.

I sat for a long time at the start of the trail, beside the plaque embedded in a rock beneath a star-filled sky.

Clueless.

Starting that hike seven years ago changed everything for me. I’ve never looked back. It has been one adventure after another. I’m always ready for something new and exciting.

In seven years i’ve walked much of the AT, lived in the ghetto, driven a lobster boat, seen the state where i was born and raised by foot & bicycle, lived in New Mexico, fallen in love with a cowgirl in California, driven across the country no less than six times, and launched a career as a photographer.....

Ah, Suds and Duds....

NICE work dude. Great post.:) :) :) :)

Marta
12-12-2007, 05:41
Funny names for business establishments:

Crass Furniture

in Murray, Kentucky.

Lion King
12-12-2007, 21:45
There is a Hair place on the AT somewhere called
"Curl up and Dye"

thought that was funny as hell as well.

Damn, this thread has some good info if anyone who hikes or travels wants beer and laundry.:D

rickb
12-12-2007, 21:50
How 'bout the laundry/photo gallery in Monson with the Bar out back.

Not sure if there is an "inside passage" betwen the two functional areas, but its all under one roof. And you might nver see a classier laundry on or off Trail-- especially one that is left open all night.

Kirby
12-13-2007, 21:53
There is the Laundromat/restaurant in Millinocket.

Kirby