PDA

View Full Version : How to RSS Feed Steep and Cheap Deals.

dixicritter
12-09-2007, 14:51
This thread was split off the Steap And Cheap thead in order to help people set up a Steap and Cheap RSS, or at least get over complaining about Steap and Cheap threads.

Good luck with that.

Cuffs
12-09-2007, 16:05
If people used their web browsers to the full capacity (ie: tabs) then this thread would not even be needed...

dixicritter
12-09-2007, 16:09
Well in all honesty, I knew nothing about Steep and Cheap until the first time I saw one of the threads pop up on WB and followed the link to the site. I'm sure I'm not the only one. There are new hikers coming to WB all the time that don't know about these places to get good deals I'd imagine, so there's no harm in having this thread here in my opinion.

Smile
12-09-2007, 18:16
DIXIECRITTER: Well in all honesty, I knew nothing about Steep and Cheap until the first time I saw one of the threads pop up on WB and followed the link to the sit

Me too, never heard of it. I've found several deals on S&C that I was not aware of till I read them on here - just have to be fast and save your information in your account settings so check it is quick. Great stuff on there as well, sometimes. :)

mudhead
12-09-2007, 18:29
If people used their web browsers to the full capacity (ie: tabs) then this thread would not even be needed...

I would if I knew how.

I can manage a bookmark. I think I am not the only one that likes to walk, but ain't the techno-whiz-banger.

I need a 15yr old around once in a while.

Cuffs
12-09-2007, 18:36
If you are using the latest versions of either IE or Firefox, press/hold CTRL + T and youll get a tabbed window, instead of an additional window! enter the new web addy and youre there. You dont have to open new windows all the time and can view several pages in tabs. (I have 3 email accts, WB, HF, SAC, Google, 2 hiking sites, Woot, all in tabs... everytime I open the browser, theyre all there!!)

Skidsteer
12-09-2007, 18:38
I would if I knew how.

I can manage a bookmark. I think I am not the only one that likes to walk, but ain't the techno-whiz-banger.

I need a 15yr old around once in a while.

I'll rent you a 17 yr. old for $500/week.

Actually scratch that; I don't know if I can spare him. I want to watch a DVD tonight.

Cuffs
12-09-2007, 18:40
For Firefox: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/tabs.html

For IE: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/ie/default.mspx (hit the tab "Tabs" for more info.

taildragger
12-09-2007, 18:41
I'll rent you a 17 yr. old for $500/week.

Actually scratch that; I don't know if I can spare him. I want to watch a DVD tonight.

yeah, but is the cost associated with feeding said 17yr. old worth watching a DVD. Wouldn't it just be easier to get the movie in VHS format?

mudhead
12-09-2007, 18:51
Thanks. I'm on a Mac platform. Firefox may happen soon.

taildragger
12-09-2007, 19:05
Thanks. I'm on a Mac platform. Firefox may happen soon.

I firefoxed my mac, haven't looked back since...

Ewker
12-09-2007, 19:07
If you are using the latest versions of either IE or Firefox, press/hold CTRL + T and youll get a tabbed window, instead of an additional window! enter the new web addy and youre there. You dont have to open new windows all the time and can view several pages in tabs. (I have 3 email accts, WB, HF, SAC, Google, 2 hiking sites, Woot, all in tabs... everytime I open the browser, theyre all there!!)

sounds like you really need to get a life away from the computer ;)

Appalachian Tater
12-09-2007, 19:10
Does this mean that WhiteBlaze endorses the entire BackCountry website, or just the Steep & Cheap deal?

Skidsteer
12-09-2007, 19:17
Does this mean that WhiteBlaze endorses the entire BackCountry website, or just the Steep & Cheap deal?

I don't see that it means either.

It's just an attempt to sensibly manage inevitable(as history shows)posts by members that want to alert others to a good deal.

Would you rather WB prohibit the links in the TOS?

Cuffs
12-09-2007, 19:47
sounds like you really need to get a life away from the computer ;)

and I didnt even mention the tabs for work stuff!!:eek:

Lone Wolf
12-09-2007, 20:52

not everyone is a geek. or a moderator

Cuffs
12-09-2007, 21:04
And what does one have to do with the other? I put up some instructions so that someone might get some use out of it. Has nothing to with being a moderator...

Lone Wolf
12-09-2007, 21:31

this is geekism

Smile
12-09-2007, 21:39
What happened to the posts in this thread? Seems some of them have disappeared. ;)

SGT Rock
12-09-2007, 21:41
They are on the other thread about this most likely. This is the closest the software does to a thread split now.

Smile
12-09-2007, 21:42
OK, I just want to be reading the right one :)
I got several Men's Marmot shirts this week for CHristmas gifts for hiking family members, it was a great deal!

Ewker
12-09-2007, 22:34
and I didnt even mention the tabs for work stuff!!:eek:

speaking off..where did your post go to??

Cuffs
12-09-2007, 22:47
this is geekism

No, thats just intelligence.

Lone Wolf
12-09-2007, 23:01
No, thats just intelligence.

uhh, no sweets. computer geekism

SGT Rock
12-09-2007, 23:07
Learn to geek it up a little Wolf. You already figured out how to post on a web forum. Some folks would probably say you already do geek it up.

warraghiyagey
12-09-2007, 23:09
Learn to geek it up a little Wolf. You already figured out how to post on a web forum. Some folks would probably say you already do geek it up.
He hides it better than anyone here.:)

Lone Wolf
12-09-2007, 23:09

post #6 means s**t to me and most posters

SGT Rock
12-09-2007, 23:11
Multiquote once blew the minds of most posters. They adapt and overcome.

Lone Wolf
12-09-2007, 23:12
post #6 is still geekism

Heater
12-09-2007, 23:14

I would rather just bookmark effectively. Just as easy as tabs and a lot less annoying to me.

My opinion.

Cuffs
12-09-2007, 23:15
No, its working smarter rather than harder...

EWS
12-10-2007, 00:18
Where's the thread on how to use the internet? I keep on getting unsavory results when searching for hog-tying how-to's.

Trillium
12-10-2007, 03:24
This thread was split off the Steap And Cheap thead in order to help people set up a Steap and Cheap RSS, or at least get over complaining about Steap and Cheap threads.

Good luck with that.what does RSS mean?

EWS
12-10-2007, 03:49
Google RSS (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=rss&btnG=Google+Search)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-10-2007, 06:43
::: Dino whacks EWS with tail for unsavory result comment (right after she gets done laughing about it) :::

Wiki explanation in mostly non-geek language of what an RSS feed is and why it makes sense for some things (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS_%28file_format%29)

Sly
12-10-2007, 06:58
Google (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/www.google.com) RSS

Bad link

Good catch, Sly. I fixed it - FD

Trillium
12-11-2007, 00:58
::: Dino whacks EWS with tail for unsavory result comment (right after she gets done laughing about it) :::

Wiki explanation in mostly non-geek language of what an RSS feed is and why it makes sense for some things (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS_%28file_format%29)
Thanks for trying to help me understand, FD, but if that's non-geek, I'm a monkey's uncle. :D

Sly
12-11-2007, 01:11
Bad link

Good catch, Sly. I fixed it - FD

You fixed his. Not the one in my quote! ;)

Heater
12-11-2007, 01:53
No, its working smarter rather than harder...

Nope, just cluttering up desktop space.

Jimmers
12-11-2007, 02:19
post #6 is still geekism

Nah, my seven year old niece uses geekier language than that talking about computers. Those are bare bones instructions.

mudhead
12-11-2007, 07:41
And what does one have to do with the other? I put up some instructions so that someone might get some use out of it. Has nothing to with being a moderator...
And thank you for the instructions.

Nah, my seven year old niece uses geekier language than that talking about computers. Those are bare bones instructions.

Pretty scary. I know each generation has it's own slang, but the rugrats today, talking with their thumbs...

I will struggle onward.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-11-2007, 09:43
You fixed his. Not the one in my quote! ;)I've been kinda busy swinging my tail and biting toes lately :D