PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use the trail to detox?

L Tee
12-10-2007, 00:05
No matter how hard I try to get away from it, being in college and drinking seem to go hand in hand for me. Since I graduate in May and am trying to be a bigger and better person it got me thinking about using the trail as a form of detox. Is there too much peer pressure from other hikers when in towns? Do you think it will be easier to stay away from the parties since I will be going SoBo? Just looking for some input.

Roots
12-10-2007, 00:08
No matter how hard I try to get away from it, being in college and drinking seem to go hand in hand for me. Since I graduate in May and am trying to be a bigger and better person it got me thinking about using the trail as a form of detox. Is there too much peer pressure from other hikers when in towns? Do you think it will be easier to stay away from the parties since I will be going SoBo? Just looking for some input.

Read Obie Reynolds, Dr. Jeckyl, from SOBO '07 trailjournals.com. That might answer your question.

Appalachian Tater
12-10-2007, 00:20
The only way to quit drinking, smoking, or using other drugs is to stop, and it's an internal thing. There will always be drugs and drug users around, on or off the trail.

EWS
12-10-2007, 00:22
Start by not driving/riding a round and drinking. Then move on to step two.

L Tee
12-10-2007, 00:25

start by not being a douche bag, then move on to step two.

EWS
12-10-2007, 00:27
Look in the mirror.

Smile
12-10-2007, 00:31
Ok guys, no need to go that route.

I think an honest question was asked, and I think it's good that you took the time to post here General Lee.

You're headed in the right direction, I think it would be great if you went on a hike. What you choose to do out there is up to you :)

L Tee
12-10-2007, 00:35
Look in the mirror.

im amazed you didnt use the "im made a rubber and your made of glue, whatever you say bounces off of me and sticks to you" or something similar.

I guess acting like a little kid is cool?

kayak karl
12-10-2007, 00:38
STOP NOW! Don't Detoux on trail. After 90 days the trip may a good Subadical. Get support. Water will be an issue. Protein will be another. The mind will play tricks on u at nite. don't stay in towns. choose your friends wisely. eat a lot, a real lot. keep your belly full. sleep alot. don't get lonely. don't get angry. stay calm.
lonely, angry, tired makes for a bad hiker.
I just heard this,:) take it for what it's worth.
karl

Frosty
12-10-2007, 00:48
You didn't use the think button...

A-Train
12-10-2007, 00:52
You didn't use the think button...

Does he ever?

L Tee
12-10-2007, 00:53
I didnt use the think button?

Frosty
12-10-2007, 00:57
No matter how hard I try to get away from it, being in college and drinking seem to go hand in hand for me. Since I graduate in May and am trying to be a bigger and better person it got me thinking about using the trail as a form of detox. Is there too much peer pressure from other hikers when in towns? Do you think it will be easier to stay away from the parties since I will be going SoBo? Just looking for some input.There is no bad way to try to give up any vice that no longer suits you. Any way that works was a good way, and any way that doesn't work, may work better the second (or third or whatever) time you try it.

Peer pressure is what you make of it. No one is going to tie you down and pour beer down your throat.

You can go into a town and not drink. Many do it. The first step is not go into a bar.

Leaving Katahdin, you will have a couple days when you couldn't drink in you wanted to. Avoid White House Landing and you will have about 8 days before you hit Monson.

By that point you will probably be pretty well physically detoxed, but if you tried to stop before, you must be aware already that the psychological urge is great.

All you can really do is to not drink on the trail at all, and then not drink in Monson, and walk on. Then not drink on the trail, and not drink in the next town.

You can get plenty of help from AA. Check out a meeting now, and maybe by the time you start your hike you'll be better able to meet your goal.

Good luck, and remember the rule of quitting anything, "If you at first you don't succeed, try and try again." You never know which time will take.

Again, good luck.

Smile
12-10-2007, 00:58
Read Frosty's post (#10) above

kayak karl
12-10-2007, 01:16
T
Good luck, and remember the rule of quitting anything, "If you at first you don't succeed, try and try again." You never know which time will take.
You don't know which time it will kill you, or a member of WB's family. QUIT NOW. YOU ASKED FOR HELP NOW! QUIT. pm me if needed. i will search YOUR area for help.
Looking Forward to Hiking In 2008:)
KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid)

Panzer1
12-10-2007, 02:12
there is a lot of drinking and partying on the trail.

Panzer

TOW
12-10-2007, 07:21
AA has a saying, "Put the plug in the jug and you'll quit drinking." But to answer your question about the chances of staying sober by going southbound? I would say that you have a better chance of not being that easily persuaded. However, it's up to you to say yes or no. Even now where you are at get in the habit of saying no and being "uncool" to your peers. Don't wait until your in your way past your prime to get on with life.

I think the trail is going to help you tremendously, whether you quit the party or not.........

Hooch
12-10-2007, 07:45
there is a lot of drinking and partying on the trail.

PanzerIn the relatively little time I've spent on the trail, I've noticed that there is plenty of drinking in Trail towns. I've even come across hikers at shelters smoking marijuana. So the temptation is definitely there. My advice unto thee? If you think that drinking is going to be a potential problem for you, stop now, or at least before you get on the Trail. Taper back, don't drink as much or as often. Peer pressure usually seems to be more of a problem for teenagers and the like. You're getting ready to graduate from college and, to be quite honest, need to man up and put petty things like peer pressure behind you. If you can't be a man, stand up and say "No, I'm not drinking tonight/today/etc." here and now, what makes you think you can do it when you hit the Trail and its towns? Bottom line? With all due respect as a fellow WB member, stop using peer pressure as an excuse for poor choices and do the right thing.

Lone Wolf
12-10-2007, 07:45
start by not being a douche bag, then move on to step two.

you're the one that posted pics of you and your buddy sucking down beers in a vehicle. who's the douchebags?

Hooch
12-10-2007, 07:53
Do you really think this (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=15033&catid=member&imageuser=11428) is a good idea? College student or not, not only is it immature, it's illegal, offensive and pretty #%$@ stupid. The so-called peer pressure crutch can only carry you so far.

mrc237
12-10-2007, 08:02
Don't know how much you drink but posting photos of drinking beers while in a car says alot! People that drink (alot) often seek out others that drink (alot) so If you think you got a problem drinking you probably do and going SB, NB, EB, WB, you still have to take yourself along.

Lone Wolf
12-10-2007, 08:09
Do you really think this (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=15033&catid=member&imageuser=11428) is a good idea?

at least switch to Busch Light. more of a mountain man beer

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-10-2007, 08:17
I didnt use the think button?I believe this comment was about the think button was aimed at EWS - who richly deserved to be chastised for his comments in this thread.
You can get plenty of help from AA. Check out a meeting now, and maybe by the time you start your hike you'll be better able to meet your goal.I will add that physically detox'ing on a hike is not the most wonderful idea I've ever heard... detox'ing can be hard on the body - even when you are 24 and full of life. I suggest detox'ing and starting your SOBO be done separately to give both the best possible chance of success.
AA has a saying, "Put the plug in the jug and you'll quit drinking." But to answer your question about the chances of staying sober by going southbound? I would say that you have a better chance of not being that easily persuaded. However, it's up to you to say yes or no. Even now where you are at get in the habit of saying no and being "uncool" to your peers. Don't wait until your in your way past your prime to get on with life. I will make one additional recommendation. AA has regional offices called Central or Intergroup offices (http://www.alcoholics-anonymous.org/en_find_meeting.cfm?PageID=29) that have directories available that contain contact information about AA members available in various places to help new members in their geographic area - they will also help travellers. I suggest you buy or borrow an eastern directory and write the contact info for the various towns you will be stopping in into whatever guide you are using. Plan to call the contact(s) as soon as you get into town. This way, you will have a reason to say no to drinking with any other hikers in the group as you will be meeting someone and you will receive some sobreity support as you trudge along the happy path to Springer.

BTW, I've been sober nearly as long as you've been alive -- if this crazy ol' Dino can do it, so can you. One of the most heartening things I've noticed in recent years in AA is that people are coming in and getting sober earlier in life - before they have drank away their families, careers, sanity and health -- and before they have legal problems out the wazoo. These losses and problems are called 'the yets' in AA... I haven't lost my family/career/health yet... I haven't been arrested yet... I haven't been to an asylum yet. If you are an alcoholic and continue to drink, these things will come if you live long enough to experience them - as Kayak Karl notes, many people with drinking problems die before getting sober. Kayak Karl also mentioned several things that are known to be rough times for newly sober people - anytime you are hungry, angry, lonely or tired. The acronym HALT is used to remember this.

Lone Wolf
12-10-2007, 08:27
I believe this comment was about the think button was aimed at EWS - who richly deserved to be chastised for his comments in this thread.

why? EWS's first post was a damn good suggestion.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-10-2007, 08:29
Hmmmm.... this fellow is talking about wanting to make a change and you guys are bashing him for past behavior.... not sure what the pic of GL in the car with beer proves other than he does indeed need to make some changes - and he's already acknowledged that. :confused:

Seems to me you guys are just looking for some reason to be nasty.

LW, if all that was involved for an alky to quit was to stop drinking, there would be no need for programs like AA.

Summit
12-10-2007, 08:30
Like you General Lee, I started partying in college and didn't break out of it until 20+ years later. I tried many things in my own power to quit, and NONE of them worked. One day I came under the conviction of THE MOST HIGH, and since then no other high cuts it!!!!

Turn to the one in your signature line! Flee temptation for sure, and in that sense, the isolation on a thru hike may help, but there is a "G-size" hole in your soul that only God can fill. Exchange the "King of bears" for the King of Kings! ;)

Lone Wolf
12-10-2007, 08:30
Hmmmm.... this fellow is talking about wanting to make a change and you guys are bashing him for past behavior.... not sure what the pic of GL in the car with beer proves other than he does indeed need to make some changes - and he's already acknowledged that. :confused:

we'll see if he was serious when he posts again

orangebug
12-10-2007, 08:35
Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.

Someone who publishes a picture of drinking in a car can expect to have observations made about that behavior. Those observations may be cold, direct and blunt - and might even get chastised. It is nice to see someone has the guts to discuss the elephant in the living room. (Atta boy, EWS)

Someone who uses "peer pressure" as a reason for (fill in the blank for any number of unwise decisions) is apt to find "peer pressure" whenever convenient.

Someone who is sick and tired of getting criticism about their drinking can find the number for AA in any phone book, as well as on the Internet. The idea of substituting the AT for ETOH is pretty lame.

If getting control over your alcohol use is a priority, get real time assistance before your hike. Other hikers find a great deal of grief from the actions of those who abuse alcohol and other substances. Otherwise, just get used to the world having to deal with your actions.

Lone Wolf
12-10-2007, 08:37
alcohol ain't the real problem

4eyedbuzzard
12-10-2007, 08:40
Yeah, but as hard as alcoholism is to control, it's often esier than fixin' the other stuff.:(

Newb
12-10-2007, 08:40
Do you really think this (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=15033&catid=member&imageuser=11428) is a good idea? College student or not, not only is it immature, it's illegal, offensive and pretty #%$@ stupid. The so-called peer pressure crutch can only carry you so far.

If you're gonna drive around with beer bottles in the car make sure you clear the shoulder when you throw them out of the car. It makes it less likely someone will run over the glass. Also, if you're boating, take the time to properly sink your bottles and cans when you're done with them. It's the courteous thing to do.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-10-2007, 08:44
alcohol ain't the real problemBINGO !

4eyedbuzzard
12-10-2007, 08:54
Hey general lee,

I think that since you've recognized you have a problem and want to do something about it is great. But if you are really dependent the trail may not be the best environment to conquer your alcohol "demon" (no religious implication meant).

If you are really serious about ending your alcohol dependency you can start with almost any doctor, community, or religious group, an EAP program if you're under one at your work or if still covered by a parent's. I'll bet your school has a program. Ask your advisor/counselor. And you can start TODAY.

I wish you the best. My father died at age 55 from complications of alcoholism, my best man at age 40 (crossing the road to get to ....... the liquour store!) Some people can drink, others can't - the whole addictive personality thing and more. Too much booze usually makes for a tragic life.

Wanderingson
12-10-2007, 08:55
Where ever you go--There you are.

No matter where you go, you will always take yourself along for the journey.

Do a little research on what you may be calling DETOX. Real DETOX is not a fun thing to go through and you certainly would not what to go through a real detox while begining an extended hike.

Whether you are planning a hike or planning on just existing in society, alcohol will always be around. Plain and simple, you will never be able to avoid it 100 percent.

If you are looking to change your playgrounds and playmates, only you can drive the train down this track.

Not sure if you are just concerned about giving up your college party habits or if you are in the grips of something a little more complex. Only you could make that determination. If the latter being the case, perhaps you should begin working a program now and not wait until you plan to take the first step on the trail.

MOWGLI
12-10-2007, 08:57

Send me a PM if you like. I have some experience in this area. Haven't had a drink since I was 24.

mrc237
12-10-2007, 09:01

LW, if all that was involved for an alky to quit was to stop drinking, there would be no need for programs like AA.

No nastiness intended here but he could start making changes by removing those photos.

CaseyB
12-10-2007, 09:41
Those pictures were up months ago....he's talking about changing something now......why the shartstorm? So what the guy didn't think to take down his picture before he asked a (somewhat?) related question.

Lone Wolf
12-10-2007, 09:42
Those pictures were up months ago....he's talking about changing something now......why the shartstorm? So what the guy didn't think to take down his picture before he asked a (somewhat?) related question.

i bet he was PWI last night and not being serious

Flush2wice
12-10-2007, 09:48
i bet he was PWI last night and not being serious
Pregnant Without Intercourse?

Deadeye
12-10-2007, 09:48
Ok, to the original question, do your detox/quitting/self repair or whatever before you hit the trail. I ruined many hikes by not bringing my smokes, thinking that being out in the woods was a great way to quit - didn't work. I either got off the trail and quit the hike, or got into town to get some smokes.

Enjoy hiking while you smoke/drink/whatever and vice versa. Once you get rid of any unwanted vices, you'll just be able to enjoy the hiking more.

My $0.02

Gray Blazer
12-10-2007, 09:51
'Puting While Intoxicated. (Posting)

mrc237
12-10-2007, 10:00

I did say he could start here! (by taking the pics down)

Chaco Taco
12-10-2007, 10:01
General Lee,
I know what you are trying to do and I have gone through it. The main thing is you have to really want to quit. Being on the trail willnot solve your problems. You can remove yourself from the situations in which you want to quit but what happens when you are confronted with the temptation to drink. Its called will power and you need to get some. I live with 9 guys and 7 of them are hardcore drinkers. I just made up my mind as to what is important. It is also hard when you are sitting around doing nothing. Most of the time I would drink or smoke because I was bored. YOU are the only one who can make that decision to quit or do it in moderation. Alot of the time to fight the temptation, I go on a run or hike in the woods. Nature is its own detoxifyer. Good luckin your quest and I highly suggest you remove that picture. Stuipid stupid decision

EWS
12-10-2007, 10:16
I believe this comment was about the think button was aimed at EWS - who richly deserved to be chastised for his comments in this thread.
Sorry, it isn't his fault. He should keep on riding and driving around drunk.:rolleyes:

If you need serious help with your drinking problem call AA (http://www.alcoholics-anonymous.org/).

CENTRAL OFFICE
127 PEACHTREE ST STE 1310
ATLANTA GA 30303
404 525-3178
E-mail: [email protected] ([email protected])
http://www.atlantaaa.org (http://www.alcoholics-anonymous.org/redirect.cfm?urllocation=http://www.atlantaaa.org)

Critterman
12-10-2007, 10:17
Hmmmm.... this fellow is talking about wanting to make a change and you guys are bashing him for past behavior....

I agree with FD. To quote our President when I was young and foolish I acted young and foolish. This is one time that he who is without sin cast the first stone really applies. Changing isn't about the stupid things you did in the past, it is about the smart things you will do in the future.

mudhead
12-10-2007, 10:18
Easier to meet women when you are not babbling.

Good motivation.

Best to you in your quest.

taildragger
12-10-2007, 10:31
Quitting ain't that hard.

I was an alcholic when I was 16, used to do whiskey shots in the morning to "wake up" before class. This went on till I was 'bout 18, I decided to just quit drinking hard, limit myself to an occasional drink with friends, and it worked out till I went to college.

In college I drank to deal with all the crap that I had going on in my life. 19 hours of classes, being a stupid kid that pledged a frat (I think I got kicked out after I told most of them to toss off), a mom that had tumors being removed etc...I think that my siblings were hitting the bottles pretty hard then, it was a rough 3 years on us.

Sometime during my Junior I sobered up, I was tired of wasting my money on booze. I still drink, but its controlled. If I don't want to drink, I don't drink, and if you're a friend and you give me ***** about it, I'll punch you in the face. My friends don't give me ***** about it and everythings fine, I just end up having to drive drunks more often than I remember.

So if you really want to quit, just be a man and quit, or better yet, learn how to control it.

taildragger
12-10-2007, 10:37
Sorry, forgot to answer the real original post...

I don't think that I'd use the trail to quit, at least not the AT. If you want to quit and then hike (I'd say go maybe 2 months without a night of serious drinking). Think about doing a less travelled trail, I'd say go SOBO on the PCT, or maybe do the CDT, you won't really see many people, so the temptation to hop off the trail with your new buds to grab a few brews won't be as tempting.

At least thats what I would do, then again I'm not you, I'm just another youngin that needs to hike and learn something practical (you know, the stuff that you cannot learn in college)

Newb
12-10-2007, 10:58
Seriously..it's a bit different as addictions go, but I used a couple of weeks on the trail last year to quit smoking.

The thing is, I was receiving offers of cigarettes from other hikers from day 1. So, it wasn't like the trail kept me away from temptation. The cinch was that I was ready and wanted to make the change. The exertion of hiking helped, but the desire and willpower have to be in place.

Chaco Taco
12-10-2007, 11:06
I was ready and wanted to make the change.

desire and willpower have to be in place.

That is the main thing. It is hard because you have friends that drink and smoke and what not, and hanging out gets a bit tough. Yea, dont use the trail to quit, because it will present itself whether you like it or not. Just grow some brass and make the decision. You are the only one that can make that decision, not your frat brothers. And take that damn picture down, :rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
12-10-2007, 11:10
Seriously..it's a bit different as addictions go, but I used a couple of weeks on the trail last year to quit smoking.

The thing is, I was receiving offers of cigarettes from other hikers from day 1. So, it wasn't like the trail kept me away from temptation. The cinch was that I was ready and wanted to make the change. The exertion of hiking helped, but the desire and willpower have to be in place.

i go to Springer every year with a couple of cartons of cigs. by Neel gap i'm able to sell them for $10 a pack. lots try to quit. it don't work on the AT

Tin Man
12-10-2007, 11:14
i go to Springer every year with a couple of cartons of cigs. by Neel gap i'm able to sell them for $10 a pack. lots try to quit. it don't work on the AT

I guess it would be hard to quit when hiking with a pusher. ;)

Lone Wolf
12-10-2007, 11:17
I guess it would be hard to quit when hiking with a pusher. ;)

just providin' a service is all

mrc237
12-10-2007, 11:20

Preying on weakness!!!!OH MY! :eek:

taildragger
12-10-2007, 11:24

Could be a good way to help pay for a thru-hike, just beat the crowds to a location, pack in some beer, cigs, and other items, jack up the price and sell to the suckers. Would help make a pretty little penny I imagine....

Tin Man
12-10-2007, 11:25

And my brother, Bartender, has been pouring for free at the campsites. Maybe we should charge for the service? :)

EWS
12-10-2007, 11:26
Carry Jim Beam Black and I'll pay.

Tin Man
12-10-2007, 11:29
Carry Jim Beam Black and I'll pay.

Sorry, we hike with Johnny. Johnny Walker Black. Maybe they are related? :-?

L Tee
12-10-2007, 11:30
I guess I should have posted this thread on the "straight foward" area. I guess when I said detox I should have elaborated more but I certainly didn't think I was going to get the ****storm that I did, but I guess I have come to realize thats about the kind of stuff you have to expect from some of the people around here.

I dont have a problem with drinking, its a great time, I might drink once a week if that but I still seem to need that once a week to blow off any steam. I think out of the 50 replies 5 people actually gave me their opinion on the actual question. I dont mind drinking, I just think it would be cool to after going 5 months not really feeling like I want to drink (because that would have been the longest period without drinking I have gone since I was about 18).

As regards to the picture, that was a damn fun day/night but not so much the next day. I wouldnt take that picture off because I dont mind drinking (as noted in the earlier "paragraph") and thats just a reminder of a bad ass weekend. Granted it looks bad but if you knew that we were actually in a supermarket parking lot driving about 5 miles an hour while the driver of the car was taking the picture.

But anyways, thanks for everyone who actually answered the question and thanks for all the other people who actually took time in their day to waste their life to try and cause problems and also give me a little laugh.

oh and no L Wolf I wasnt drunk.

Gray Blazer
12-10-2007, 11:30

ESC = Enabling Service Campain

Summit
12-10-2007, 11:32
Could be a good way to help pay for a thru-hike, just beat the crowds to a location, pack in some beer, cigs, and other items, jack up the price and sell to the suckers. Would help make a pretty little penny I imagine....Ice Cream would do the trick for me . . . I'd pay whatever you're asking! :D Hard to keep on the trail though! :rolleyes:

EWS
12-10-2007, 11:35
Sorry, we hike with Johnny. Johnny Walker Black. Maybe they are related? :-?
Jim is his finer cousin. I think Jim actually sends Johnny his used barrels, since poor Johnny needs a bit of Jim's flavor.

Appalachian Tater
12-10-2007, 11:40
I doubt General Lee really meant detox in the medical sense, complete with vomiting, hallucinations, tremors, and full-blown seizures. The trail is not the best place for that sort of thing.

If you have already absolutely quit drinking a while before you start, a thru-hike would be a good place to work on confirming your new habits and changing your psychological patterns.

If you are physically dependent, having a wee bit o' the hair of the dog under the arch at the Amicalola visitor's center to combat your usual hangover and then merrily setting off for Katahdin is not the best plan for overcoming your addiction.

Summit
12-10-2007, 11:40
I dont have a problem with drinking . . . but I still seem to need that once a week to blow off any steam.If you NEED IT then it is a problem. I'd love to dialog via PM with you about this. I'd like to help you avoid the road I went down is all! ;)

NICKTHEGREEK
12-10-2007, 11:42
Kidding, right?

Lone Wolf
12-10-2007, 11:43
Kidding, right?

serious as lung cancer

mrc237
12-10-2007, 11:50
Well General Lee I guess I knew all along that you drink like a true Southern Gentleman and I hope we meet some day and hoist a few. Seeya at Dot's!! A true Southern drinking establishment! :D Oh yeah, LW you bring the smokes!

NICKTHEGREEK
12-10-2007, 11:51
serious as lung cancer
Well, I'll be damned. I'd have bet the other way and have no idea why.

Lone Wolf
12-10-2007, 11:53
Well General Seeya at Dot's!! A true Southern drinking establishment! :D Oh yeah, LW you bring the smokes!

won't be long before Virginia goes smoke free. Dot's will be great then

Tin Man
12-10-2007, 11:54
If you NEED IT then it is a problem. I'd love to dialog via PM with you about this. I'd like to help you avoid the road I went down is all! ;)

No offense to General Lee, but who know what he means by "need". His original post was not very clear. His use of detox got people all concerned. Binge drinking is the college way and perhaps he just needs to get away from his college buddies for awhile.

General Lee, try stealth camping and the temptation to binge will be reduced.

Blissful
12-10-2007, 12:00
Lots of hikers smoke on the trail. I was kind of amazed by it. A met one that wanted to quit, but I don't think he ever did. Many roll cigarettes, etc. because it's cheaper, they say. One SOBO we met had such a bad cough, I don't know how he was able to hike and he chain smoked, one after the the other. Not sure how people can hike mtns and enjoy the great air of the outdoors with lungs full of smoke (but that's only my opinion). And there's lots of drinking at towns, hostels, etc. People are the trail and they take their habits with them.

Deadeye
12-10-2007, 13:16
If you're gonna drive around with beer bottles in the car make sure you clear the shoulder when you throw them out of the car. It makes it less likely someone will run over the glass. Also, if you're boating, take the time to properly sink your bottles and cans when you're done with them. It's the courteous thing to do.

Man, I hope you're kidding.

mudhead
12-10-2007, 13:50
I am suprised, maybe a bit saddened.

Could be a good way to help pay for a thru-hike, just beat the crowds to a location, pack in some beer, cigs, and other items, jack up the price and sell to the suckers. Would help make a pretty little penny I imagine....

I have thought of this. Can't bring myself to do it...

As to the picture in the supermarket parking lot. I thought it might have been at a campsite, or in the twillies. Now I know, I really thought different.

Naive.

DavidNH
12-10-2007, 14:38
General Lee,

The AT is probably not the blest place to avoid and detox from alcohol and or smoking. I found, much to my chagrin, that there was as much or perhaps even more drinking and smoking than I saw in college. In fact, the plethora of alcohol and cigs among the hikers did detract from my hike at times. But I still enjoyed my hike most of the time as I am not one that bends to social pressures.

If you are able to hike without alchol it will be because you chose and decided to do so, not because you weren't exposed to it.

You will probably see less drinking going southbound, but I am sure you will still see some.

DavidNH

Maple
12-10-2007, 14:44
They say hiking is a mind thing...so is the idea of quitting habits such as drinking and smoking...one has to want to do it.

Lilred
12-10-2007, 16:17

Oh well, that's just great, let's now encourage littering and pollution. Good Grief!!:mad:

taildragger
12-10-2007, 16:21
Oh well, that's just great, let's now encourage littering and pollution. Good Grief!!:mad:

He's just saying that if you're gonna litter, you might as well be courteous about it :rolleyes:

greg burke
12-10-2007, 16:33
I've not han a drink sents 11/20/86 it's nice to be sober some day I hope to return to the trail.one day at a time&yes they do add up after a while need to talk im me Greg B.

mrc237
12-10-2007, 16:41

Will people be allowed to smoke outdoors? :D

trippedoutnatureboy
12-10-2007, 16:44
A little advice from some one your age with a vice similair to yours the trail would definetly be a good way to get away and atleast put some time and miles between you and your drinking if you wanna quit you will it is that simple when you are tired of it you will put it down and leave it there and for all those people who are putting this young fellow down let me remind you of your probable mis-spent youth and the mistakes you have made shame on you for judging someone the car doesnt even appear to be moving(lol) seriously though Ill see you in 2008 perhaps do the deal hike the trail and see what happens

Lilred
12-10-2007, 16:48
A little advice from some one your age with a vice similair to yours the trail would definetly be a good way to get away and atleast put some time and miles between you and your drinking if you wanna quit you will it is that simple when you are tired of it you will put it down and leave it there and for all those people who are putting this young fellow down let me remind you of your probable mis-spent youth and the mistakes you have made shame on you for judging someone the car doesnt even appear to be moving(lol) seriously though Ill see you in 2008 perhaps do the deal hike the trail and see what happens

Periods are your friend.....;)

Just a Hiker
12-10-2007, 16:49
General Lee,

Going SOBO will definately help if you want to try hard and not drink on the trail. There are less people which usually means less temptation, but it's still hard sometimes. I am an FOB (Friend of Bills), but I am a chronic relapser too, so it's hard. I have slipped on the trail and I always hate myself for it. I went on a bender in North Woodstock, New Hampshire last year and it wasn't pretty. I spent the the next week on the trail trying to detox and feel good again....it's not fun.

Just Jim

Smile
12-10-2007, 17:17
Choose your direction, you're still the one who will be hiking - just keep in mind who you want to hike with. Birds of feather, there are plenty of people who hike each year who don't party. Hang with one of them, plus hiking while drunk or hungover does not sound like a fun time, let alone the way to put miles behind you. But that is MHO :)

It's beautiful, fun (along with the struggles) and a challenge to be out there, hike your hike, and take the time to refresh your mind, body and spirit.

A-Train
12-10-2007, 19:18
'Puting While Intoxicated. (Posting)

I thought he was talking about what I do after i gnaw down a couple energy bars: Pushing With Intensity

Dirtygaiters
12-10-2007, 19:56

Not having read anything anyone else has posted, I'll just dive headlong into this, post my 2 cents, and get out.

If you remove yourself from your life of alcoholism, you can live a separate life as a sober individual. However, once you resume your past life, old habits will start right back up. Hiking doesn't necessarily give people strong wills and no one ever solved a problem by running away from it. If you want to "detox", I'd suggest you take a long hard look at your present life and figure out what changes you need to make to be happy. It sounds like you have a serious problem with insecurity around your friends. This may well put you in a situation where you find that it's a case of change your friends or change your own life. If these people are truly your friends, then they will respect your decision to drink less or whatever. If they continue to encourage you to drink, they are not very good friends. So, will hiking allow you to change your life? Not knowing anything about your desire to hike long distances or your past experiences hiking, I'm just going to say now based on the info you've presented about yourself.

TOW
12-10-2007, 20:16
at least switch to Busch Light. more of a mountain man beer
If i ever drink again, it will be Buzzzzzwider!!!!!

TOW
12-10-2007, 20:21
what about snuff free??????

Jim Adams
12-10-2007, 20:25
I used the trail to stop chewing snuff...it worked GREAT and I haven't done it since....that's snuff!
For everything else it seems as though I use the trail for re-tox!

geek

Lone Wolf
12-10-2007, 20:34
what about snuff free??????

nah. dot will chew instead of smoke. won't hafta worry about that ash fallin' in your chow

Jack Tarlin
12-10-2007, 20:43
Five-Olde in Hanover is now smoke-free.

People deal with it.

CaseyB
12-10-2007, 20:55
Summer '99 I lived in Ft. Jones CA, not long after the state had made it illegal to smoke in a bar. The management at Charley-Bob's made it clear that telling people they smoked in there was more hazardous to your health than the smoking. Lots more air to share in that place than Dot's though.

DuctTape
12-12-2007, 19:34
answering the original questions here...

If you fall into a circle of friends that like to drink in every town - yes, there's peer pressure to drink. If you keep mostly to yourself, or make friends that don't care much for it - no.

Southbound tends to be less of a party atomsphere, but then again, you have a smaller pool of hikers to choose from as friends, and may be less likely to find hikers who you get along with that don't drink.

The AT can help as a sort of detox as you put it, because it forces you to create new habits, so you can conciously add not drinking/being healthy to those habits.

bfitz
12-12-2007, 20:55
just providin' a service is allhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpoEmlxUPeQ&feature=related

dessertrat
12-12-2007, 22:16

If you've already quit, it's actually a good strategy to help oneself along-- I know because I did it that way. However, the people who are buying the smokes from you are people who were relying on the trail to make them quit, rather than upon themselves to make them quit.

saimyoji
12-12-2007, 22:52
People who rely on other people to change their behaviors are doomed to failure. Self reliance is the only way. Myself, I still use the trail as part of a lifestyle changing technique that helps with my physical well being as well as my mental well being.

Free your mind, your ass will follow. :cool:

Smile
12-12-2007, 23:07
Free your mind, your ass will follow.

I needed to hear that tonight! :)

orangebug
12-13-2007, 06:31
How many psychiatrists does it take to change a light bulb?

but the light bulb has to want to change.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-13-2007, 08:40
People who rely on other people to change their behaviors are doomed to failure. Self reliance is the only way. Myself, I still use the trail as part of a lifestyle changing technique that helps with my physical well being as well as my mental well being.

Free your mind, your ass will follow. :cool:For some of us, it is more of a "free your ass and your mind will follow" kind of thing, but YMMV.

Another corollary that just seems apropos here:
Save your ass or save your face. You can't save both

JAK
12-13-2007, 13:03
I think a lonely trail is an excellent way to detox, from all sorts of bad addictions, for all sorts of good reasons. As with hiking in general, you have to know your limits. You might have to start small. You may have to go big. You might need help or you might need to go it alone. In some ways you might be giving up a bad addiction for a good addiction, which might only be temporary, but its better than giving up a bad addiction for a bad addiction. I say do what you gotta do.