PDA

View Full Version : lets talk COFFEE!

Pages : [1] 2

Mike Drinkuth
12-11-2003, 15:56
Piping hot, black as night, and strong enough to knock down a mule.
That's what I want first thing in the mornin on the trail.
How do you make it?
Instant seems smartest (lightest) but how about other interesting ideas here. Instant is so lacking in taste. Anybody see any clever techniques?

TJ aka Teej
12-11-2003, 16:20
Instant is so lacking in taste.Mmmm Instant Maxwell House! A double dose, 3 or 4 sugars, shook up in a Nalgene - that'll get yer banana dancing! Taste? Everything tastes better on the trail!
:banana

Alligator
12-11-2003, 16:32
My buddy uses the coffee bags (like tea bags) two in the morning to replicate his wife's overly strong coffee. Sometimes he throws in a Carnation instant breakfast.

Dances with Mice
12-11-2003, 16:40
How do you make it?
Instant seems smartest (lightest) but how about other interesting ideas here. Instant is so lacking in taste. Anybody see any clever techniques?

Check your grocery store for Cafe Bustelo Instant Espresso mix. It's a Cuban style coffee imported from Mexico. Rich, smooth taste. Doesn't take much to make a 'coffee strength' cup, but you can mix it as strong as you like. It will get your eyes open and there's no hassle with grounds or bags or filters or all that.

Major chain stores in N. Georgia carry it since there's a significant Hispanic population here. Don't know if it's national or how widely it's stocked. Google yields lots of mail order sources.

Jaybird
12-11-2003, 17:03
Mike D:

i like your style: "Piping hot, black as night, & strong enuff to knock down a mule.."

thats my kinda coffee...

my fellow hiker: TeePee has tried the filters, the one-bag-ers, etc etc, even the "NEW" coffee press thats out now....but,
for me.....i'm going with a double dose of instant MAXWELL HOUSE or FOLGERS...

i boil the water...& get a whopping double spoonful of instant cyrstals and........
..."yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-hawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

i'm ready to hike! (just for sport..i eat a couple of energy bars too.)
NO REASON to ruin a good, strong cup of java with all that creemer, sugar etc........you're on the trail......who needs the "COFFEE WITH A SKIRT" anyway?
hehehehehehe;)

Jaybird

chris
12-11-2003, 17:19
If you want the good stuff, look somewhere other than a tea bag. When I'm spending alot of time in camp (like winter time) I'll grind up a bunch of my favorite french roast (blacker than midnight, lots of PC labels, only $5.99 a pound) and take a cone with some filters. You can buy a cone filter for about $2 and its only real downside it the bulk (it doesn't weigh anything). But, since I have to take my big, 95 liter pack during winter hikes, I've got plenty of room. From a very unscientific poll, it seems that having good coffee in a shelter is the fastest way (next to having a splif) to make friends. Or, atleast, to gain leeches.

Rick Bayley
12-11-2003, 23:39
If you want the good stuff, look somewhere other than a tea bag. When I'm spending alot of time in camp (like winter time) I'll grind up a bunch of my favorite french roast (blacker than midnight, lots of PC labels, only $5.99 a pound) and take a cone with some filters. You can buy a cone filter for about $2 and its only real downside it the bulk (it doesn't weigh anything). But, since I have to take my big, 95 liter pack during winter hikes, I've got plenty of room. From a very unscientific poll, it seems that having good coffee in a shelter is the fastest way (next to having a splif) to make friends. Or, atleast, to gain leeches.

Oh coffee, coffee, the things we must learn to do without in the great outdoors - or at least if my lightweight principles are not to be completely thrown out the window. Lucky that instant does indeed taste better consumed in the open!

ga>me>ak
12-12-2003, 15:53
Double dose of coffe, pour it and water and let steep in your boot.....for that extra kick

Lumberjack
12-12-2003, 19:26
I carry a 4 cup percolator :} some things shouldnt be skimped on...

rei... :welcome

smokymtnsteve
12-12-2003, 20:02

Both at sunrise :)

steve hiker
12-12-2003, 20:51
I use a tea ball. Real easy, just fill half the tea ball with coffee grounds and let brew in your pot of boiling water for a couple minutes.

As to coffee, I carry a few onces of dark roast Community ground coffee (a south Louisiana brand, about as strong as French Roast). Won't touch the weak Yankee stuff.

Moon Monster
12-12-2003, 22:00
MSR makes a little filter basket that fits inside a shallow mug/cup. Grounds inside, steep in hot water, lift whole basket out of water and dump the grounds in a bag to pack out. Like a press, it gives you direct contact with the grounds to extract the fullest compliment of flavor compounds (but is lighter and has just one piece that packs in your cup), and best of all: you can use your favorite 100% arabica instead of instant or tea bag style robusta bean crap. The thing is less than 3oz and maybe less than 2oz, I forget, because I reluctantly give up coffee when I hike.

Jaybird
12-13-2003, 09:43
MSR makes a little filter basket that fits inside a shallow mug/cup. Grounds inside, steep in hot water, lift whole basket out of water and dump the grounds in a bag to pack out. Like a press, it gives you direct contact with the grounds to extract the fullest compliment of flavor compounds (but is lighter and has just one piece that packs in your cup), and best of all: you can use your favorite 100% arabica instead of instant or tea bag style robusta bean crap. The thing is less than 3oz and maybe less than 2oz, I forget, because I reluctantly give up coffee when I hike.

Tried the MSR coffee basket gizmo in 2002 on section hike...NEVER worked correctly....give me a double dose of instant!

I pride myself of being, somewhat, a coffee conniseur...i love my Kenya AA,
Blue Ridge Dark Blend, etc,etc,etc.....but, i'm not taking a brewer, coffee pot, etc,etc, out for a trip....

And anyway...everything tastes better out on the trail (even intsant coffee)

Jaybird

Moon Monster
12-13-2003, 13:27
Jaybird, why didn't the MSR basket work for you? I've only used it on the trail once (it was a 20º morning so tree-bark tea would have tasted good), but I used to use it regularly in the office. Worked great, except I could only make 8-10oz at a time. Now, I use a press in the mornings.

Jaybird
12-14-2003, 10:25
[QUOTE=Moon Monster]Jaybird, why didn't the MSR basket work for you? QUOTE]

Moon Monster:

Don't know why...we (my 2002 hike partner "TeePee" & I) did everything by the insturctions (u known how hard that is for us "real men"...hehehehehe) & it would never "brew" correctly, etc.

poured my coffee into the mesh basket poured scalding hot water into my titanium mug...even stirred the basket in the hot water a few times....let it sit for approx 3-4 mins.....& it came out like....very, very weak tea.....

ugggggggggggggggggggggggggggh!

give me a double helpin' of Folgers instant (or Maxwell House) & i'm good to go!

........."it's ALL good on the trail!"

Flatpicker
12-14-2003, 19:17
How do you make it?

I went in search of a light weight way to enjoy that morning coffee as well. A fellow hiker had a coffee press and I was impressed but thought it was a bit to bulky for longer trips. A web search turned up Cup-pour-ri. A half-ounce coffee steeper. Makes one cup at a time and you can make it as strong as you like by the amount of coffee used and length of time allowed to steep. You can find these at online retailers like REI but if you go to their homepage they will send you 3 steepers for the same price you can get 1 at a retail outlet.

Flatpicker

Valmet
01-01-2004, 09:57
I really like coffee on the trail. I have used instant, ok but not the best taste. I now use a lexan coffee press. To me some things are worth the extra weight. The coffee is better and more enjoyable and I can bring any type of coffee I want.

bam_bam
02-15-2004, 03:44
I only use a French Press. The 1 cup model. Very small, very light, and has a Pyrex cylinder. I wrap it with a piece of foam and duct tape for packing it. Then, I splurge and get StarBucks "Yukon Blend." No need for boilers, the cylinder is pyrex so you can boil water in it. I get whole beans and grind me enough to last the hike. It produces a very volatile, explosive, early-morning awakening. Even better when you can get fresh mountain water. North Carolina water and Glacier National Park so far has the best water...in my opinion

azchipka
02-15-2004, 03:58
I only use a French Press. The 1 cup model. Very small, very light, and has a Pyrex cylinder. I wrap it with a piece of foam and duct tape for packing it. Then, I splurge and get StarBucks "Yukon Blend." No need for boilers, the cylinder is pyrex so you can boil water in it. I get whole beans and grind me enough to last the hike. It produces a very volatile, explosive, early-morning awakening. Even better when you can get fresh mountain water. North Carolina water and Glacier National Park so far has the best water...in my opinion

I to use a french press.......Gotta love a nice cup of coffee with the sun rise and the myst rolls through the valley.......must have coffee

zammy
02-16-2004, 03:52
Here, middle east that is, Israel for me, we use what we call "Turkish coffee". it's a strong roast of coffee beans, ground of course.
We boil it gently (2 teaspoons) together with about 150 ml of water and then add sugar for taste. Look for that coffee at Greek , Israeli or any other middle eastern food deli's. Just don't over boiled it (burn) for too long, the moment it start boiling lift it above the flame and simmer it for 10-20 seconds more.
This is as closed as it can get to an esspresso..
I know I'll bring about 2 lbs with me for maildrops.

gardenville
02-16-2004, 12:16
Real Men or Ladies just put a spoon of instant coffee in their mouth, add a spoon of sugar and a drink of warm water, gargle 10 seconds and swallow. No mess to clean up and guaranteed to jolt you into action. Or for the faint at heart you can buy empty paper tea bags. Put your favorite coffee in them and when you are ready for a cup of coffee, boil some water and put the tea (coffee) bag in the hot water for a little while and drink. You can scatter the coffee grounds in the woods and burn or carry out the paper bag. They work great and I use them all the time. You can also now buy coffee packed in the paper bages. They work OK if you like that brand of coffee or are just desperate for coffee.

waldo
02-16-2004, 13:34
Heres the deal .... get your fav brand of coffee at your local market. Place it in your pot with the corresponding amount of water (just like you were going to make it in a coffe maker). Bring it to a boil .... then add just a tiny bit of cold water, just enough to shock the coffee grinds .... let the pot settle for a sec. then slowly pour the coffee into your fav lightweight camping coffee mug. be careful b/c all the coffee grinds will be settled at the bottom of the pot. the effect of the cold water is the same as using a coffee filter. it causes all the grinds to move to the bottom, so you have some great coffee, and it isnt instant or those awful coffee bags. i like mine with a bit of cream ... see you all in the morning ... man i love coffee

Waldo

Kozmic Zian
02-16-2004, 15:16
yea.....Coffee. You want GOOD coffee? Make yo'self a cup of 'Kozmic Zian's Trailside Cup a Joe'. Like this.....Take your cup and bring to a boil with a large spoonful of the best ground beans you can get in town. Let the water and coffee roll w/ the boil, only once or twice(you have to be careful or it will boil over). This brews the coffee and releases the flavor. Take off the heat quickly, stir, let cool to drink and enjoy. You have to let it cool for the coffee grounds to sink to the bottom of the cup. Very important! It's the best, least troublesome way to make coffee on the trail. Store your ground beans in, of course, a zipper lock. You can adjust how much flavor (strength) you like, by how big your spoonfull is. Have a 'Cup a Joe', courtesy....Kozmic Zian...yea. KZ@

JimSproul
02-16-2004, 19:05
When I am on the trail I make cold coffee. I use Folgers coffee bags. I put on in a Nalgene Lexan wide mouth jar (8 - 12 oz) then hang it on the out side of my pack in a mesh bag and hope for sun. Even on cloudy days your, if you let that little guy bounch around in there for the first hour on the trail you will have STRONG coffee, ready to drink at your first break. I alternate with Tea bags from time to time for a change of pace. Keep it in your pack if there is a danger of freezing. I can carry two weeks worth in my pocket!

Kind of like washing your feet or having a flush toilet. You just can't appreciate how wonderful hot coffee is until you have had it cold, black, and strong for about 10 days! :datz

At home I am a 1 - 2 pot a day, French Roast drinker.

Big Dawg
02-16-2004, 19:35
I love my starbucks, but usually don't drink on the trail,,,, but considering a change due to this thread. I'm considering either the 10 oz Lexan Press, or the "Cup.pour.ri",,, both found on rei.com. Main thing for me is ease/quickness, so the cup.pour.ri seems the way to go, but if the Lexan press produces much better taste, then that's the way I'll go. I'm looking for more specifics about both (for instance, is it a pain to clean Lexan once done???) Thanks for the info!!!:-?

cabalot
02-16-2004, 22:39
here ya go , weighs 1 oz.
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=43657&prmenbr=226
fits in your mug. put your favorite coffee in this filter, let steep and enjoy.
i prefer fresh ground beans from kenya.

FatMan
02-16-2004, 23:35
Coffee is one thing I am unwilling to do without. I carry a light weight four cup percolator on all my hikes. It doubles as my cooking pot. Without the coffee basket it easily holds a full meal, and the added bonus of a hint of coffee flavor is almost always welcome.

Big Dawg
02-26-2004, 18:16
I just got the "cup.pour.ri" & it didn't work too well. Made a weak, nasty cup of joe. I used Starbucks gold coast. Made it 3 different times w/ different amounts of coffee & time steeping, & still turned out bad??? I normally brew my coffee at home in my Black&Decker SmartBrew coffeemaker. Does the French Press, or any other coffeemaker I can bring in the woods make as good a cup of coffee as my SmartBrew??

SGT Rock
02-26-2004, 18:40
Place it in your pot with the corresponding amount of water (just like you were going to make it in a coffe maker).
Waldo

I find that you need a little more grounds than I would normally need for a drip maker. Any suggestions?

azchipka
02-27-2004, 03:50
esprso beans...all day long......that will cure your need.....although forget about sleeping at night.....want a real kick bake them in wasibi sauce not that will wake your but right up in the morning.

PKH
02-27-2004, 08:08
I find that you need a little more grounds than I would normally need for a drip maker. Any suggestions?
I find the simplest and best is the drip system. Try a #2 filter and cone. Tastes in coffee will vary of course - I like it strong and dark, and now use a heaping tablespoon of French roast. This will provide that essential blast in the morning. Don't even think about it at night.

Cheers,

PKH

oyvay
02-28-2004, 19:52
Having fresh coffee on the trail is heavenly, but I'm in it for the caffeine hit. So I tote in the teabags and use two per cup and let it steep until it's blacker than the strongest coffee. I know it's strong when "nature calls" 30 minutes after finishing it. :jump

TeePee
03-16-2004, 13:22
All of this reading about java has got me ready to go! I'm heading to REI and I may splurge and pick up a french press. I use one at home and the coffee is fabulous. I'll gladly pack a little extra weight for a good cup of coffee on the trail. Anyone tried Peet's coffee? I've switched from Starbucks and haven't looked back. :clap I guess you could call me an "AT brew-hiker!" hehehehe How's that Jaybird?:sun

DeoreDX
03-16-2004, 16:29
The best way to get good coffee is to roast your own green beans. Anything and everything you want to know about home roasting can be found at Sweet Marias. I started out with a $3 West bend Poppery II I picked up from a local goodwill and began my home roasting hobby. On of the few hobbies that I have that actually SAVES me money. High quality green beans (much higher quality then anything you can buy in bulk from Charbucks, peets, SBC, etc) is actually pretty cheap.

http://www.sweetmarias.com

I just use the baggie singles on the trail. I may pick up some instant to try that out. On the trail I just need the caffine so I don't get a debilitating headache. I'd rather save 6oz + then to have to carry some complicated brewing equipment.

smokymtnsteve
03-16-2004, 16:31
addicted?????????

Jersey Bob
03-16-2004, 17:16
Reminds me of a joke I heard about Jersey girls.

springerfever
03-16-2004, 19:35
Kinda weighty, but so far the best trail coffee comes out of a coffee press. REI sells a small Lexan Coffee Press that you can easily remove the entire plastic handle and also trim the press rod to reduce weight. That coupled with some Starbucks produces the best coffee I've had on the trail.

The lightest weight DECENT method I've found is the miniature filters that you put a couple of spoonfuls in and slowly pour boiling water through. Takes a while and its a tedious process but weighs next to nothing and a decent brew. The little plastic rod that comes with it to hold the filter can be easily replaced with a small twig...........

oscar2
03-16-2004, 19:41
Dark chocolate covered espresso beans. Get some caffeine and an energy kick in just a few bites. No mess to clean up.

Big Dawg
03-17-2004, 00:48
[QUOTE=springerfever] Kinda weighty, but so far the best trail coffee comes out of a coffee press.

You got that right!! Just used a coffee press on my recent section hike in the Smokies---first time I had coffee (Starbucks/Kenya) on the trail. WOW, what a treat for this coffee lover!!

:jump

cabalot
03-20-2004, 00:54
Tried the MSR coffee basket gizmo in 2002 on section hike...NEVER worked correctly....give me a double dose of instant!

I pride myself of being, somewhat, a coffee conniseur...i love my Kenya AA,
Blue Ridge Dark Blend, etc,etc,etc.....but, i'm not taking a brewer, coffee pot, etc,etc, out for a trip....

And anyway...everything tastes better out on the trail (even intsant coffee)

Jaybird

Jaybird,
what was it that didnt work, did it leak grains into your cup? i was thinking of buying one, if they're no good i'll get a light weight press. i have to have great coffe every day, maxwell doesnt cut it neither does instant, i need kenya beans.

by the way, thanks for the happy birthday jaybird, i had just turned 36 and treated myself to a SD clip cd2 2004 and a marmot sawtooth 15degree bought at Campmor, and 10 hotwings and Labatts on tap at HOOTERS down the street from Campmor.

Jaybird
03-20-2004, 10:50
[QUOTE=cabalot]Jaybird,
what was it that didnt work, did it leak grains into your cup? i was thinking of buying one, if they're no good i'll get a light weight press. .................................................. .................................QUOTE]

Cabalot:

Hope you had a GREAT Birthday,..yes, grounds fell out, never made a strong cup o' coffee (even after double up on grounds)...it was as weak as weak tea....YUCK! i need a doubly strong cup of coffee (or two) to start my day on the trail....i'd get the coffee press.
(my 2002 hike partner: "TeePee" just bought a coffee press @ REI..& he also LOVES his morning coffee!) :D

good luck on your hike.

tribes
03-20-2004, 10:53
Try using the single cup coffee bags. They work just like tea. Use powdered creamer and a sugar substitute to save the weight of sugar. Like Jaybird said, everything tastes better on the trail.

weary
03-20-2004, 19:21
[QUOTE=Jaybird][QUOTE=cabalot]Jaybird,
what was it that didnt work, did it leak grains into your cup? QUOTE]

Time for a reality check. Camp coffee is simple. You have a tall pot. You fill it with cold water. You add coffee grounds. The amount depends on the amount of water and how well you know your own coffee tastes. You bring the combination to a boil. You set it aside for how ever minutes seems reasonable. Only experience can tell you, so experiment, but I like five minutes or so.

Add a splash of cold water to settle the grounds, pour carefully to keep from unsettling, and enjoy.

Weary

steve hiker
03-21-2004, 00:59
I found these and they're all I ever use now. The packets weigh nothing and all you do is drop one into a pot of boiling water and you have GOOD ground coffee. I prefer the dark roast. One pack in my .85 litre ti kettle pot makes a large mug of coffee.

http://www.communitycoffee.com/product2.asp?sts=nwc45&pfid=12407&dept%5Fid=34&mscssid=BCKUC5AVNMHK8HXN61L4C0AA03B0A3F1

Frog
03-21-2004, 08:29
MMMMMM Coffeeeee tried everyway. Of course the pot can make the best but to heavy. The tea bag style is great but then you have extra trash to tote around with you. The press is a great way. And the instant is the lightest. Since i love coffee so much it depends on how long i will be out there. Instant and tea bag style if for more than 3 days. Press and tea bag style for a couple. Tea bag style for first thing in the moring and i mean first thing. Pot of water waiting outside the tent door and stove ready to go. I use the press for evenings with starbucks mmmmmm cant get in better a view and a good cup of coffee.

Crazy_Al
06-20-2004, 18:49
The internet sites that sell tea, also sell special, long, disposable tea bags to put tea in.
These bags are about 7 inches long and 2.5 or 3 inches wide. I have used them, but I do not remember if the are paper or fabric. I guess paper.
You could use these bags to put coffee in to make coffee.

MOWGLI
06-20-2004, 18:57
Funny thing. You'd be hard pressed to find a bigger coffee junkie than me. I drink copious quantites while I'm off the trail. I never drink any when I'm on the trail however. When I get into town or back home, the first things I look for are a cup of coffee, and a newspaper (in that order).

frankcornbread
06-28-2004, 11:20
Coffee press is probably the best, lexan or glass. Messy clean-up but good joe. Avoid Snow Peak Ti press, I saw several at REI and all of them were out of round and would not filter probably. For that matter all of my Ti is out of round so must be inherent in the material and guage.
Paper filter is lightest w/ chopstick(s) which double as multi use utensiles.
All methods of brewing mean little, however, if the beans aren't freshly ground so saved weight from press/filter switch is applied to 3oz. hand grinder. Just ordered one from Campmor so the bar on the morning joe-fest WILL be raised. BTW I own a coffee shop and roast my own coffee so it behooves me to take my java seriously.

SGT Rock
06-28-2004, 11:22
I had one of those grinders when I was in Iraq, a lot of work for nothing.

Texas Dreamer
06-28-2004, 11:46
Little history to share: Most of the 19th century "receipts" for coffee involve eggs. In some, it is recommended to stir egg whites into the grounds before boiling as Weary mentioned above; some tell you to crunch a whole egg and drop it into the pot in the last minute or so of boiling, shell and all. I usually use the second method when teaching workshops in Victorian cooking with cast iron wood stove. It makes for a good show-and usually receives a few groans. The principle behind it is that the eggs serve to clarify the coffee of the muddiness that you usually get when making cowboy coffee(boiled). Sure enough, the egg whites take on the muddiness, and the shells settle the grounds. Doesn't translate to trail use, but I thought ya'll might find it interesting.

frankcornbread
07-01-2004, 17:55
I had one of those grinders when I was in Iraq, a lot of work for nothing.
Just recieved mine from the brown truck people today. Have to disagree. The "Traveler" is kind of cheesy to hold and behold but seems solid inside and efficient to operate. Adjustable grind needs adjusting from factory setting to be less fine, a typical filter grind, but that accomplished the grinder put out at the rate of one 50 gram dose per 1.5 minutes. About the time to boil the water for the coffee on my canister stove. Filtered through "Tesac" which is a long paper tea bag type filter. Steep like tea for 2-3 minutes and, guess what, VERY flavorful joe. Beans should be fresh and water NOT boiling, let it rest a minute after it boils.
At 5.25 oz. on my scale ( that's .75 oz. more than my titan kettle, same scale) it's a luxury item to be sure but it enables a far superior coffee experience on the trail so in the pack it goes.

Bonehead
08-07-2004, 00:14
***** coffee tastes best

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1038792.html?menu=news.scienceanddiscovery

magic_game03
08-07-2004, 02:08
love is blind at 7 a.m.
before the first cup is brewed
i cannot see the tips of my fingers
but my nose you cannot elude

frankcornbread
08-07-2004, 08:16
***** coffee tastes best

They are rather flavorful but do emit an essence of "cat box on a hot day" when roasted. I tried to feed some green yirgecheffe to my cat so she could naturally flavor it before roasting, but no go. I guess she was wise to the deal.

FC

steve hiker
08-07-2004, 11:39
...... Ugh

Ramble~On
08-10-2004, 02:47
At home I like good coffee.... Black.

For some reason on the trail I add all sorts of crap to it and yeah, I use instant Folgers.
Before I hit the trail I mix together a small jar of Folgers and add an 8 oz can of
"International Coffees" Suisse Mocha. I then seperate the marshmellows from Hot Chocolate packets and put the marshmellows in the bag.
I mix all this stuff together and fill a 125 ml Nalgene container.
1 big lexan spoonful and water in the morning doesn't complete the mix because then I add 50ml of Baileys Irish cream and 50ml of Jack Daniels.

Sounds Silly Right ? Give it a try...It'll open your eyes and put a smile on your face.......:sun

supermonster
08-12-2004, 14:12
I like really good coffee when I'm at home or out in the woods. I have a lexan french press I bought at Barnes & Noble for $10.00. It weighs 6 oz. and I also use it as my cup for coffee or other beverages and holds about 12 oz. I ground fresh beans before the trip and store those in a ziplock. For some reason the coffee seems to taste better out there than when I make it at home.

JP
08-12-2004, 16:25
I use a clean handkerchef and put grounds in it and tie with cotton string. Let it boil till the color looks good. Then leave the bag tied and put it in a ziplock bag and use it again later. You may have to boil it a little longer the 2nd time.

Just dont forget which handkerchief you blew your nose with.

weary
08-12-2004, 17:37
***** coffee tastes best

I insist on coffee on the trail, but I think I'll be able to resist this particular brand. Just too expensive -- or something.

Weary

steve hiker
08-12-2004, 17:44
I insist on coffee on the trail, but I think I'll be able to resist this particular brand. Just too expensive -- or something.
But at $300/lb it must be good. Right? :-?

ridgewalker777
08-13-2004, 11:27
I would opt for one of those Melita black cones, filter, and organic ground beans. Weight is negligible. But I find coffee hinders my hiking energy--constricts blood vessels--I throw hot water with green tea into my little titanium pot. I save coffee for after the hike.

rpettit
11-19-2004, 21:50
I just eat dark chocolate covered expresso coffee beans from StarBucks. Expensive caffiene kick, yes, but delicious. No water to boil, no coffee grounds (and the water contained in them) to pack out, and the best part, their covered with chocolate!!!!

hikerdude
11-19-2004, 22:37
I think coffee is one of life's greatest pleasure . So beware, the stuff can screw your day up with dehydration to. But knowing that, it can make your day better.
I just heat a 8 ounces water and add Kava 90% acid neutralized crystals I carry in a 4oz Nalgene bottle and then drink it hot and black. But I still have to drink 2 quarts or more of H2O by lunch yet to. That's if I was a thru hiker. Now If I was camping, I would have a one of those 1 quart percolator pots they got in the camping stores. I used to have one somewhere around here.:-?

A-Train
11-19-2004, 22:46
I've become addicted to coffee kind of, needing that 1-2 cups a day. I wouldn't drink it on the Trail though. It does dehydrate u greatly and makes my heart race too much-going up hills would be scary on coffee. I'd rather not deal with the addiction, withdrawals and headaches on trail.

TDale
11-19-2004, 23:44
Coffee on the trail. Lugging that enamelware percolator never worked so well. Water, coffee, boil, wait, mmmmmmmmmmmmm. If I can't have coffee, I ain't goin'
There are some obviously knowledgable people here. Community Coffee is to die for, folks. Best bagged coffee going. Starbucks? Pffft. Townie drink. As far as the dehydration thing...not true, do your research. It's 99% water, ain't it?

Late in the day, with grilled trout nestled in my tummy, there's nothing better than a cuppajo and a bit of chocolate.

creaky bones
11-20-2004, 00:09
Look for freeze-dried, not instant. I can only find a store-brand where I live. It's much better than instant- with all the convenience.

kncats
11-20-2004, 08:35
Contrary to popular opinion, coffee (its caffeine content specifically) is NOT a dieretic. It does not cause dehydration in people whose bodies are accustomed to it. Medical studies on hydration have shown that people who drink at least one caffeinated beverage a day exhibit no difference overall in urinary output when compared with people drinking plain water. It takes three to four days with no caffeine intake for your body to become what is called "caffeine naive". At that point, resumption of drinking coffee will cause a slight diueretic effect initially, until your body agains gets used to it (about seven hours). Another interesting fact is that coffee is not particularly acidic. The pH of coffee is almost identical to the pH of your mouth, which makes it a LOT less acidic than the inside of your stomache.

Bloodroot
11-20-2004, 09:28
Kncats-

It's so funny that you metioned that whole topic. While being in the desert this past summer we endured hotter temps than any human should ever have to experience. Anyhow we have several "Army ol' timers" (no offense TOP Rock :)) that would drink a pot or two of coffee every morning before heading out, then take their gallon coffee thema. out to field with them. Temps would get so high that vehicles sometimes would spontaneously combust; yet, these ol' timers are pretty much drinking coffee all day long in the blistering heat while comsuming....maybe....3-12oz bottles of H2O (in comparison to my 16-17, 12ozer's). Unreal.

Fiddleback
11-20-2004, 18:32
I just gave these four pages of posts a cursory look and didn't see any mention of 'toddy coffee' ( http://www.toddycafe.com/ ). This is what I drink at home and I tried it this summer on the trail and it was the best trail coffee I ever had. Like any liquid, the coffee concentrate is heavy but, at 1oz per cup, it's nearly the same as powdered drinks. I carry mine in a cleaned-up contact lens solution squeeze bottle. Just squeeze a bit into my mug and add hot water. Very smooth, low acidity, NO CLEAN UP or garbage to pack.

FB

swamp dawg
11-20-2004, 21:46
I crave it but in order to save weight and fuel, I don't carry coffee. I do make sure I get my java fix as soon as I get to a trail town, sort of a reward for hard work. I also crave sweet tea but it is hard to find out of the south, its a Georgia thing.
Life is good.....Swamp Dawg

Ridge
11-20-2004, 23:36
With my zip woodburning stove I can boil pot after pot of coffee. I use Columbian dark roast. I'm experimenting with eliminating my cookpot and just using the percolator to boil water for meals. Before, I made my own mixtures of international coffees, hazelnut, vanilla, cocoa all using creamer and instant coffee along with the various flavors. Packed these in ziplocks. Again, using the woodburner, I never have to worry about fuel when boiling water.

SGT Rock
11-21-2004, 19:33
Kncats-

It's so funny that you metioned that whole topic. While being in the desert this past summer we endured hotter temps than any human should ever have to experience. Anyhow we have several "Army ol' timers" (no offense TOP Rock :)) that would drink a pot or two of coffee every morning before heading out, then take their gallon coffee thema. out to field with them. Temps would get so high that vehicles sometimes would spontaneously combust; yet, these ol' timers are pretty much drinking coffee all day long in the blistering heat while comsuming....maybe....3-12oz bottles of H2O (in comparison to my 16-17, 12ozer's). Unreal.

No offense. I actually resemble all that. Even in 150 degree Iraqi days I still enjoyed hot coffee.

weary
11-22-2004, 13:04
I've become addicted to coffee kind of, needing that 1-2 cups a day. I wouldn't drink it on the Trail though. It does dehydrate u greatly and makes my heart race too much-going up hills would be scary on coffee. I'd rather not deal with the addiction, withdrawals and headaches on trail.

Current research shows that not only is diuretic effect insignificant for those used to including caffeine containing drinks in their diet, but the negative effects caused by cutting such drinks from the diet may be more damaging.

Weary

Smooth03
11-22-2004, 16:24
Haven't read all of the posts so this could be repetative but I know some folks like "Cowboy Coffee."

From my experience these are the rough directions.

Bring water to a simmer(important that its not a boil).

Pour in about twice the amount of normal coffee grounds after pouring the water into a cup.

Then pour just a little bit of cold water in a circle to sink all the grounds and drink away. Just be careful not to drink the grounds. Thats the only downfall.
Enjoy

smokymtnsteve
11-22-2004, 17:36
Yea...coffee...organic peruvian is my Fav.. :sun

in the morning and in the afternoon, wet, cold day on the trail nothing will lift the spirits like a good hot cup of coffee!

(well maybe one other thing ;)

J.D.
12-04-2004, 23:51
A&P Brand 8 O'Clock beans...! (Using for 40 plus years now)

Grind 'em... At home! Forgot once and it's "doable"; but, a bitch trying to grind beans with two rocks. Altho', the various grubs and bugs did add an interesting flavor.

One tablespoon for two cups of excellent black coffee.

Tried "tea bags" of coffee, "tea ball", "cowboy coffee", etc. Nah....

Two years using the Lexan French Press & 8 O'Clock with great success. No problems - add boiling water and steep until BLACK. I am partial to adding a pinch of sugar in the AM and a drop of Jack night times.

Speaking of Jack Daniels, I have always carried it as Snake Bite Medicine. It actually works! Years of camping and hiking and I haven't been bitten by a snake.....!

minnesotasmith
12-05-2004, 06:44
Coffee

Java

Jamoke

Joe

Carbon remover

SGT Rock
12-05-2004, 10:48
My current method of success is one of these:

http://www.msrcorp.com/cookware/mugmate.asp

I figure how much breakfast blend to ground based on my trip length, then fresh grind it right before I leave the house and put the grinds into a foil wrap sealed pouch. Since foil wrap pouches are notvapor permeable like plastic, your grounds will taste like fresh ground for about 3-4 days (limits of my test so far) if you don't leave the pack open for more time than it takes to pour the coffee out. My foil packet is a re-use of bag of sliced almonds for salads.

To make the coffee, simply add the grounds and slow pour boiling hot water through it. Once you pour all the water and it appears to have soaked out, take a lid off a Gatoraid bottle (my water bottle of choice) and use it to press the remnants of the coffee in the filter similar to a french press. This method could work for a long distance hiker that can re-supply at regular points where you can grind coffee.

smokymtnsteve
12-05-2004, 14:39
sounds good Sgt Rock ;)

the only thing I would suggest is to have the the h2o slighty below the boiling point when you pour over the grounds..

SGT Rock
12-05-2004, 16:17
I likes it hot, but what is the advantage to slightly below?

smokymtnsteve
12-05-2004, 16:29
almost boiling temp is the classic method of french press coffee. less acid and bitterness...

SGT Rock
12-05-2004, 18:13
I will try it. Thanks.

weary
12-05-2004, 18:29
almost boiling temp is the classic method of french press coffee. less acid and bitterness...
I don't worry about not boiling the water, when I brew coffee. Unless one simply combines coffee grounds with water and brings the combination to a boil, (really not a bad idea. it's simple and the resulting brew is unique, to say the least) or uses a perculator at a temperature that allows the brew to boil, camp coffee is always made with almost boiling water. Boiling is a precise temperature, depending on atmospheric pressure at the time. Unless you carry a pressure cooker on the trail, you can't increase the boiling point of water beyond what nature that moment ordains is boiling.

The simple act of removing the pot and allowing the water to fall through the surrounding atmosphere will reduce the temperature below the boiling point. Given most trail conditions the worry should be about the water quickly becoming too cool for a good brew.

I mostly use Folger Coffee bags on the trail, though I tend to brew for several times the recommended 60 seconds, given the difficulty of keeping boiling water at brewing temperature.

Because I'm the primary coffee drinker in our household, we use mostly a four cup automatic coffee maker at home. Recently we purchased a replacement machine that came with a reuseable filter. At home a paper filter is more convenient. But I'm saving the reuseable filter for trail use.

Weary

smokymtnsteve
12-05-2004, 19:25
I don't worry about not boiling the water, when I brew coffee. Unless one simply combines coffee grounds with water and brings the combination to a boil, (really not a bad idea. it's simple and the resulting brew is unique, to say the least) or uses a perculator at a temperature that allows the brew to boil, camp coffee is always made with almost boiling water. Boiling is a precise temperature, depending on atmospheric pressure at the time. Unless you carry a pressure cooker on the trail, you can't increase the boiling point of water beyond what nature that moment ordains is boiling.

The simple act of removing the pot and allowing the water to fall through the surrounding atmosphere will reduce the temperature below the boiling point. Given most trail conditions the worry should be about the water quickly becoming too cool for a good brew.

I mostly use Folger Coffee bags on the trail, though I tend to brew for several times the recommended 60 seconds, given the difficulty of keeping boiling water at brewing temperature.

Because I'm the primary coffee drinker in our household, we use mostly a four cup automatic coffee maker at home. Recently we purchased a replacement machine that came with a reuseable filter. At home a paper filter is more convenient. But I'm saving the reuseable filter for trail use.

Weary

Weary I always bring my water to a boil and then give it just a few seconds before pouring it into my french press...folks are awfully peculiar about thier coffee making rituals.

but to tell U the whole truth of my response to Sgt. Rock about the boiling water and classic french press techniques was just my way of saying hello to Rock so he would know that I knew that he is looking for the ultimate Lightweight coffee press...gatoradeaid cap for a french press,nobody but Rock would have thought of such. ;)

think the Sarge is going Lightweight in his old age. :-?

weary
12-05-2004, 20:47
Weary I always bring my water to a boil and then give it just a few seconds before pouring it into my french press...folks are awfully peculiar about thier coffee making rituals. but to tell U the whole truth of my response to Sgt. Rock about the boiling water and classic french press techniques was just my way of saying hello to Rock so he would know that I knew that he is looking for the ultimate Lightweight coffee press...gatoradeaid cap for a french press,nobody but Rock would have thought of such. ;) think the Sarge is going Lightweight in his old age. :-?
Yes. You are right. One must deal carefully with these newly middleAGED folks. With careful care, eventually, they, like me, will revert to middle-old childhood, and be much wiser. But until then it is useful to humor them. Otherwise, they might get a complex and be unable to move into middle-old childhood gracefully.

Weary

kncats
12-06-2004, 06:02
According to the major coffee maker manufacturers and producers of good coffee the water temp for brewing should be between 195 and 205 deg F. Too low and you don't extract enough of the bean's flavor as the water passes over the grounds. Too high and it'll draw out undesirable flavors. The low temp recommendation is one of the reasons I've never been real fond of coffee making methods that involve steeping the grinds. Coffee comes out best when the water is poured through it with pretty hot water. When coffee is steeped the water cools off quickly to a temp that is considerably lower than what works well. I'm not too sure about that high limit though. Espresso and Turkish style coffees are made with really hot water and I love both.

SGT Rock
12-06-2004, 07:57
Just so ya'll know how to eyeball stove tempsince most don't carry a thermometer - I have done probably hundreds of tested boils and I can almost tell the temperature range of my pot by watching the water:

175 - the smallest of bubbles start to form at the bottom of the pot.

190 - a great deal of bubbles are starting to form, but they usually stay at the bottom.

200 - the small bubbles start rising to the top.

211.5 - a roiling boil. Of course this temp changes slightly with elevation and barometric pressure. Today at my house boiling point would be 209.8 degrees and at MT Collins Shelter it would be about 201.5.

Also, the standard drip coffee pot heats water to about 190 degrees.

BTW, I am only 37, but I will probably be a grandfather at 38. My oldest daughter is married and is now expecting about 2 weeks after my next birthday.

smokymtnsteve
12-06-2004, 10:25
I have a fleece bag that I put my coffee press in after poring in the h20 helps to keeps the coffee hot.

congrats on the upcoming grandchild....even though I don't as a rule drink alkyhol this would be an occasion for a shot of OLD GRANDAD> ;)

UCONNMike
12-06-2004, 11:24
Dont waste tim ewith instant coffee, it tastes like crap. I ditched mine a few days in, it was that bad, esp cause i didnt bring any sugar. I found that instant cappichino (i butchered that word) esp the french vanilla was wicked good.

weary
12-06-2004, 13:31
Dont waste tim ewith instant coffee, it tastes like crap. I ditched mine a few days in, it was that bad, esp cause i didnt bring any sugar. I found that instant cappichino (i butchered that word) esp the french vanilla was wicked good.

To each his own. French vanilla flavored coffee? The very thought is offensive. Coffee should taste like coffee.

Weary

UCONNMike
12-06-2004, 17:51
It tastes good, and it wakes me up. Much better than that sludge instant coffee, which doesnt taste like coffee. It tastes like crap

CynJ
10-07-2005, 21:10
My dad has forever and always (started with him in the Navy) drinks about 2+ pots of coffee a day. Rain or shine, freezing or frying. He also drinks water but doesn't get nearly as thirsty as the rest of us. hmmmmm....

I have tried the coffee-singles (teabag style) - not so keen on them. Its lame coffee if you ask me. I have been debating about picking up a package of the new "pods" to see how they would work. Anyone try this yet?

The real question is - as a diehard half&half user - what is a GOOD tasting alternative for the pack? the powdered stuff is nasty.

frieden
10-07-2005, 22:37
I don't like the coffee singles, either.

Just a little note on coffee. Some studies have been done on coffee, mainly for the strength training crowd. Both regular and decaf coffee saps your energy. They haven't figured out why, yet. However, in the studies, caffiene pills did not. Personal experience has shown me that organic coffee does not sap my energy, or give me that "icky" feeling. I have found a really good organic instant coffee at the health food store. I'm out now, but I'll try to remember to post the name, when I get some more.

I was wondering if I wanted to carry my French Press on the trail, but I think I'll just stick with the organic instant. It doesn't have that "instant" taste.

Nightwalker
10-08-2005, 06:40
How do you make it?
Whole bean 8 O'Clock brand ground at its coarsest, made cowboy style. Put the grounds in the water before you heat it up. Bring it to a boil. wait four minutes. Pour off gently. The grounds are settled on the bottom. Instant is a nasty, dirty word (Right Rock?)

:D

kyhipo
10-08-2005, 08:13
i like to buy some good coffee and just boil it than let it sit for a spell wham!cowboy coffee at its best:D ky

Oracle
10-08-2005, 09:35
I do like coffee, but my stomach doesn't. I'm usually able to strike a happy balance by using coffee with chicory (which makes a very strong brew, but doesn't make me ill), although it's been very difficult to find since Katrina.

gumby
10-08-2005, 11:32
I do like coffee, but my stomach doesn't. I'm usually able to strike a happy balance by using coffee with chicory (which makes a very strong brew, but doesn't make me ill), although it's been very difficult to find since Katrina.
You should be seeing your supplies of coffee starting to arrive. I live just north of Tampa and we were short on it, just yesterday Publix started getting the pallets in.

For those of you that don't know what me and ORACLE are talking about is that Hurricane Katrina destroyed the warehouses where coffee for the southeastern US was warehoused.

I have tried those pods, got some with my espresso maker, they were OK, but on the trail it thing Cowboy coffee is the best, nothing better than a good swift kick in the butt first thing in the AM.

later...:jump

CynJ
10-10-2005, 19:59
Just a quick product review for the coffee lovers ...

I bought some of the Folgers coffee pods - boiled up 2 cups of water and poured it over the pod. Let it steep for about 1.5-2 minutes. It made WONDERFUL coffee. It was nice and strong without being bitter (and I think you could have let it steep longer for those wanting more hair on their chest). And no grounds to sort out. Just have to pack out the used pod - but being self contained it won't be overly messy which will be nice.

1000% better then the coffee singles. :banana

Uncle Silly
10-10-2005, 20:55
I love my coffee and I need it on the trail. I started out trying to get by with chocolate-covered coffee beans, say a handful in the mornings to get that caffeine boost. But later in my hike I realized that the instant stuff doesn't weigh much and makes me really happy in the mornings. I sweeten it with a little honey but no creamer; but now that it's getting colder I'll probably switch to sugar packets or no sweetener at all.

I don't like the tea-bag method; I find the coffee steeps weakly. You'll get a stronger cup if you drop the bag into the water while it's on the stove -- boil it for 2-3 minutes and you're set.

Patriot
10-10-2005, 22:04
Bam-bam Has the right Idea, The only way to go for Great coffee is the one cup Coffee Press, with Starbucks finest, Surly everyone carries at least one luxury or at least they should, The trail is so much more enjoyable with that cup of coffee in the Morning, If you Love Coffee.................:jump

NoKnees
10-11-2005, 00:34
I vote for cowboy coffee. I pour it through a strainer into a cup (the cup 44g and the strainer 8g are my luxury items) I have this little green thing that REI sells as sort of a tea ball. I discarded half of it and use the other half to strain. Good cowboy coffee is as good as coffee from a press IMHO.

Valmet
10-17-2005, 15:20
I do love my coffee on the trail. I have been laughed at because I use a press but to me there is nothing better than a really good cup of coffee in the morning and the ritual is so rewarding. I know it does not go along with light weight hiking but I'm the one carring it and I don't ask anyone to do it. The smell and tast, good lord I'm salivating thinking about it. :-)

hikernc
10-17-2005, 16:27
I do love my coffee on the trail. I have been laughed at because I use a press but to me there is nothing better than a really good cup of coffee in the morning and the ritual is so rewarding. I know it does not go along with light weight hiking but I'm the one carring it and I don't ask anyone to do it. The smell and tast, good lord I'm salivating thinking about it. :-)
I do love my coffee too. But lately I've been trying tea. Good too.

CynJ
11-17-2005, 20:58
I've already posted a rave review about using a coffee pod in a cup - I have really become addicted to using them this way now. I generally only drink one big cup of coffee at a time and this make excellent java. I've tried the Folgers and the Maxwell House now. Both are first rate. And the coffee is so good I have been actually drinking it black. :D No more worries about cream/creamers on the trail

Skidsteer
11-17-2005, 21:18
I normally carry some good Columbian instant coffee but when I'm in the mood for "gourmet", I take a "Smart Cafe"( simple coffee press/insulated cup ) found at most Publix grocery stores. It's been a while since I weighed it, but I seem to remember that it tipped the scales @ 5 oz.+/-. Simply take your favorite coffee and follow the instructions. Decadent, hedonistic and very simple to use, but on long or hurried hikes it becomes a (little)bit of a chore to cleanup.

Ravendog
11-23-2005, 23:14
I'm thinking about splurging. I can't do without coffee!

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/accessdetail.cfm/SN2410

Dances with Mice
11-23-2005, 23:48

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/accessdetail.cfm/SN2410Look in Publix supermarket for http://www.smartcafe.co.uk/products/hot_cafetiere_travel_cup.asp

The plastic version weighs 6.5 oz, holds 16 oz and costs between $10-15.

smokymtnsteve
11-24-2005, 00:15

I have that model...I love it..have carried it on the AT...made coffee on the above tree line tundra in Denali with it.

use it on a Daily basis...

what eventually happens to it is the rubber insert of the plunger arm wears out,,,:mad: :(

Mouse
11-24-2005, 08:46
One way to mask the instant coffee taste is to add an envelope of instant cocoa. Mocha ala Trail! It won't satisfy coffee purists but it gets the caffeine down.:jump

SteveJ
11-24-2005, 09:47
I've used a cheap coffee steeper I picked up at the local grocery store - a Tops Rapid Brew One-Cup microwave coffeemaker. Weighs 10 grams. I bring a 1.5 oz bag of my favorite coffee for a weekend trip, then fill it about 2/3 full. Bring water to a boil, pour over it in the cup. Swirl for a few minutes, and the coffee gets stronger and blacker as you drink :) I just did a quick web search - it appears they've been discontinued - the grocery store only had 3 left last week, and had them marked down to $1.50 - I bought all three! You do get some grounds leaking out - probably not as good as the MSR mugmate (similar principle, tho) - has worked for me for a couple of years!

http://tinyurl.com/8xba8

Ravendog
11-24-2005, 13:59
I'm thinking of getting the ti version and use the pot part for just boiling water/another pot. I have a pyrex one for car camping, and by the time you drink the second cup, it has cooled off. I imagine the plastic version would be a better insulator, but I like being able to keep it hot. Plus, it satisfies my insane desire to buy another toy. My wife thinks I am certifiable (insane, that is).

smokymtnsteve
11-24-2005, 17:17
I have a fleece stuff sack for my Ti coffee press,,, helps to insulate it ,

It is really great to make fresh hot coffee to go with your pancakes in the morning, ;)

justusryans
11-24-2005, 17:54
I have a fleece stuff sack for my Ti coffee press,,, helps to insulate it ,

It is really great to make fresh hot coffee to go with your pancakes in the morning, ;)

I perfer the "special" homemade brownies I make for hiking breakfasts!!!:D

saimyoji
11-28-2005, 14:04
My dad gave me a bag of Jack Daniels coffee over the weekend. That stuffs good. :p

http://www.easycoffee.com/jadagocoold7.html

Uncle Silly
11-28-2005, 17:19
One way to mask the instant coffee taste is to add an envelope of instant cocoa. Mocha ala Trail! It won't satisfy coffee purists but it gets the caffeine down.

I've used this trick before. It avoids the need to add a sweetener (I have a horrific sweet tooth so coffee black is a last resort). Add a shot of whiskey and you've got a great trail drink. I prefer American whiskey -- preferably bourbon -- but damn near any whiskey works.
:sun

trailfinder
12-01-2005, 13:06
Most instant coffees just do not have the flavor so I started looking. At http://www.onefreshcup.com I found exactly what I wanted and the flavor is excellent. For those of you who like drip coffee, then go to the onefreshcup website.

Teatime
12-02-2005, 04:08
Anyone ever try the MSR Mugmate? I've used it for Tea but not for coffee, even though it will do coffee.
My wife bought some stuff called Maxim at the Asian market. It is instant coffee with cream and sugar already added in individual serving tube wrappers. If you're in a hurry and not that particular about your coffee it would be very convenient for backpacking. I may give it a try on my next trip.

middle to middle
12-02-2005, 12:33
I have been a coffee junkie for a long time and cold turkey withdrawl can be painful. Mostly I have done that, just to prove I can and a hike is a good time to do it. I actually switched to chicken soup several times and lived to tell about it.
What I want is a sun doubble expresso maker.

Mouse
12-02-2005, 13:03
I love the cute little backpacking espresso makers on my weekend trips, but they are just a bit too heavy for thruhiking. I REALLY need that anti-grav unit!

Hikes in Rain
12-02-2005, 13:33
Hey, I thought I was the only one to use those! They actually work, although they are a bit messy to clean up and don't make quite enough. My brother gave me one as a joke, and he was astonished when I took it along on a hike with him. Even more astonished at its functionality.

Disney
12-02-2005, 16:54
I mix the instant with some of those international flavor things. Tastes better, but is a bit less strong of course.

middle to middle
01-05-2006, 15:13
The Turkish coffee is fine too. Just pour hot water in the cup with ground coffee and the grinds settle to bottom of cup and you get a great jolt.
The chocolate covered expresso beans have to be the best tho.l

KBaker
01-11-2006, 16:53
To make cowboy coffee, pour boiling water on top of the grounds in a container such as a Nalgene bottle to which you have tied a string. Then, seal the lid and whirl the bottle around in a circle overhead, as you would swing a lariat, using centrifugal force to get the grounds to the bottom.

No joke. Yes, it works.

Trooper347
01-14-2006, 11:46
Look in Publix supermarket for http://www.smartcafe.co.uk/products/hot_cafetiere_travel_cup.asp

The plastic version weighs 6.5 oz, holds 16 oz and costs between $10-15.

Thanks for that link Dances with Mice!!!! Picked one up today, works fantastic!

Dances with Mice
01-14-2006, 13:08
Thanks for that link Dances with Mice!!!! Picked one up today, works fantastic!You're welcome. I keep mine at work since I drink Community or Luzianne brand coffees and nobody else at work likes chickory. I've been using it a couple times a day for several months now and it still looks & performs like brand new.

drsukie
01-14-2006, 22:46
I perfer the "special" homemade brownies I make for hiking breakfasts!!!:D

When do y'all start your thruhike -- I gotta check out these special breakfast brownies! :bse Sue

JJB
01-14-2006, 23:38
On that MSR cupmate. I make "cowboy" coffee and use the filter as a strainer.'Cause using it as directed has never made a cup of coffee that I was satisfied with.

Lanthar Mandragoran
01-20-2006, 19:19
Just toss one more idea on the fire. I saw this (http://www.aerobie.com/Products/aeropress_story.htm) recently... proposes to solve many of the 'french press' dilemas

Dances with Mice
01-20-2006, 21:53
Just toss one more idea on the fire. I saw this (http://www.aerobie.com/Products/aeropress_story.htm) recently... proposes to solve many of the 'french press' dilemas And I assert that " 'french press' dilimas" only exist in the minds the the marketeers of this product.

But I'm willing to be convinced otherwise. Just leave the coffee at daybreak on the ground under my tarp outside my hammock. Black, no sugar, 16 ounce cup for the first serving. Thanks.

astrogirl
01-21-2006, 16:13
Funny thing. You'd be hard pressed to find a bigger coffee junkie than me. I drink copious quantites while I'm off the trail. I never drink any when I'm on the trail however. When I get into town or back home, the first things I look for are a cup of coffee, and a newspaper (in that order).

Same deal for me, but no newspaper. :)

drsukie
01-21-2006, 18:40
Here's a new offering - the ThunderPress - it's at www.active-gear.com (http://www.active-gear.com). Maybe other places. "French Press in a Mug".

It's 12.6 oz., but it's self-contained, and it has some kind of sealing gizmo that allows you to add cream/sugar whatever without having to open it to keep things hotter. :) Sue

smokymtnsteve
01-21-2006, 19:34
When do y'all start your thruhike -- I gotta check out these special breakfast brownies! :bse Sue

I like a special brownie and coffee before running dogs

justusryans
01-21-2006, 20:43
I'm making "special brownies" at the moment!

smokymtnsteve
01-21-2006, 20:46
I'm making "special brownies" at the moment!

with or wtihout NUTS????:jump

justusryans
01-21-2006, 20:52
with or wtihout NUTS????:jump

Pecans!:clap

smokymtnsteve
01-21-2006, 20:58

double choclate????

drsukie
01-21-2006, 21:02

Yum! Is that Pee-cans, or Pih-conns? :jump Sue

justusryans
01-21-2006, 22:25
Yum! Is that Pee-cans, or Pih-conns? :jump Sue

That'd be pee-can's ma'am:D

justusryans
01-21-2006, 22:26
double choclate????

No double chocolate this time, pecans will be about it:clap

smokymtnsteve
01-21-2006, 22:27
No double chocolate this time, pecans will be about it:clap

ahh..nothing but a bunch of NUTS :D

drsukie
01-21-2006, 22:59
That'd be pee-can's ma'am:D

MMMMM. I can smell 'em cooking! :p Sue

If you ever need any testers before this Spring, just let me know...... :clap Sue

smokymtnsteve
01-21-2006, 23:53
drsukie, do Ya know dr. Nicole thar in b'HEAD???

she is a back cracker too

BooBoo
01-22-2006, 04:49
Remember the longer the brew time the higher the caffeine content.

I prefer.

Kenya AA

Guatemala Antigua

Columbia Excelso

Jamaican Blue Mountain tops them all but its expensive $20-$30 per lb and is usually hard to find.

drsukie
01-22-2006, 16:09
drsukie, do Ya know dr. Nicole thar in b'HEAD???

she is a back cracker too

Nope - I didn't go to Life; I went to Parker, in Dallas, Tejas! :sun

And, I try to stay OUT of Buckhead these days; nothing can complete with those wild 80's memories, including my energy levels! Hah! Sue

specter
01-22-2006, 18:13
Two words...Jolt Gum. Two pieces are the equivalent to 4 cups of coffee. Two pieces of gum and a cup of tastes choice and you might as well as lit your a$$ on fire!

drsukie
01-23-2006, 20:03
Jolt Gum! :bse

Sigh. I am one of those for whom caffeine is history - just does not sit well with me. I suppose being ADHD does not help!

But, I still need the taste and the ritual to get me going. I get really good organic decaf from Whole Foods, make it really strong, and pretend!

BTW, I ordered one of those new-fangled ThunderPresses to try it out. I'll let y'all know..... Sue

hotjoe
02-02-2006, 21:08
take 4 tablespoons of ground coffee for 10 - 12 ounces of water, toss the medium ground coffee in just boiled water , stir for 10 seconds then put lid on. wait 6 minutes. pour through a gold filter cone into your cup. this will get you moving in the am:bse

drsukie
02-02-2006, 23:57
I got the Thunder Press yesterday - tried it out this morning! Love it! Boil the water, toss in the grounds, put on the plunger top and wait a few minutes. Then slowly depress the plunger til it hits bottom. Open the drink-hole, which has a tandem larger hole on the other side mid-way to add cream or sugar or whatever. This makes a metal disk in the plunger release and keep the ground in the bottom, which is shaped to fit a car-cupholder. It is also exactly the size of the amount of coffee you need to add.

YUM! Only complaint is that it's handle is not a ring, so I will need to drill a hole in the handle to allow for a 'biner or rope to hang it from my pack.

VERY happy!! :clap Sue

Lump76
02-24-2006, 19:28
Backpackinglight.com is selling this stuff called "Java Juice" which is basically liquid concentrated coffee. Supposedly you just add water and it tastes like gourmet coffee. Anyone ever tried it? I thought of ordering some, but it's pretty expensive at $1.49 a packet. Then again, if it tastes like coffee house brew, it might be worth the money. Here's a link...

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/java_juice_coffee_extract.html

Ridge
02-24-2006, 21:33
Backpackinglight.com is selling this stuff called "Java Juice" which is basically liquid concentrated coffee. Supposedly you just add water and it tastes like gourmet coffee. Anyone ever tried it? I thought of ordering some, but it's pretty expensive at $1.49 a packet. Then again, if it tastes like coffee house brew, it might be worth the money. Here's a link...

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/java_juice_coffee_extract.html\

Like I posted earlier, you can make this kinda stuff from recipes found on the web. I use instant coffee and hazelnut creamers, sometimes a little sweetener added, then blend together. You're right this stuff is expensive when bought at the store. There are several sites with different recipes.

littlefoot
02-25-2006, 09:36
I bought this little gizmo several years back I 've seen on REI and Campor that looks like a funnel where you stick grounds in a little cartridge that screws on the bottom(sorry I can't remember who makes it, but they are pretty common). I found it to make rather weak joe though so I began to put grounds in the top 'cone' portion of the device...yeah that was mor like it...at times you need to agitate the grounds a bit to get flow. Works pretty good and no filter to deal with.

naz
02-26-2006, 10:13
A good cuppa trail coffee is as elusive as The Holy Grail! The more serious you are, the more "stuff" you need to carry in and out. Tea bags, french press (I like grits, but not in my java) and now Java Juice (http://www.javajuiceextract.com). On the surface, it sounded like the answer, but at $1.49 a cup, I expected a lot more. I bought a '6 pack', and tried it in 16, 12 and 8 ozs of water, but it didn't deliver. The search continues...

Dances with Mice
02-26-2006, 11:01
A good cuppa trail coffee is as elusive as The Holy Grail! The more serious you are, the more "stuff" you need to carry in and out. Tea bags, french press (I like grits, but not in my java) and now Java Juice (http://www.javajuiceextract.com). On the surface, it sounded like the answer, but at $1.49 a cup, I expected a lot more. I bought a '6 pack', and tried it in 16, 12 and 8 ozs of water, but it didn't deliver. The search continues...First, if you're getting grits in your pressed coffee you're doing it wrong. Second, if it bothers you that much then you might not be as serious about coffee as you pretend. Third: http://store.cubanfoodguy.com/product_info.php?products_id=62 Best buzz with no muss or fuss. Best instant I've ever had, better than a lot of fresh brewed and that's a fact. There's a large hispanic population where I live, so it's carried in the local groceries.

I was at REI yesterday and saw that they're selling french press gizmos that fit into Nalgene bottles. http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=48010194&parent_category_rn=4500495&vcat=REI_SEARCH I picked up the Nalgene whiskey flask next to them but passed on the Nalgene adaptor since I already have the Smart Cafe press:http://www.livingincomfort.com/frprtrmugbym.html

nerdishgrrl
02-26-2006, 11:14
Has anyone tried the coffee that they are selling on the atc website? I'm always leery of trying new coffee, other than the chocolate macadamia coffee from wawa. :) Can anyone vouch for this coffee? If not, i'll be the guinea pig!

naz
02-26-2006, 12:07
In your haste to lecture, you missed the point. I am not pretending to be anything, nor am I am disputing that a french press can make a good cup, but it's still more stuff to carry. Along with the nalgene coffee 'get-up', I would think one would need to carry an extra bottle -- as the lingering taste of coffee in my primary water bottle would be right out. (Can we please not argue about camp sanitation next?) But I understand the great lengths hikers must go to for good coffee.

Besides, if your not getting sediment in your french press brew, your using the wrong (ordinary) coffee. I am serious enough to know that perception is reality, and that instant or extract coffee is not for the serious.

Just so you don't entirely miss the point, I was just opining about a new product I had tried. I will seek out and try your suggested Cuban crystals -- thanks for the tip, but given your contentious tendencies, perhaps you should consider 'decaf'.

Dances with Mice
02-26-2006, 12:14
Just so you don't entirely miss the point, I was just opining about a new product I had tried. I will seek out and try your suggested Cuban crystals -- thanks for the tip, but given your contentious tendencies, perhaps you should consider 'decaf'.Maybe I wrote that before coffee...

Stick around! I don't know how long you've lurked but you've only made two posts. You'll learn that on this site people joke about life, death, marriage, global warming, cancer, epidemics, nuclear warfare, stuff like that. Coffee is taken seriously.

Can we agree that drinks diluted with flavors of nuts, fruits, flowers, or candy is not coffee?

Ridge
02-26-2006, 13:16
......................Can we agree that drinks diluted with flavors of nuts, fruits, flowers, or candy is not coffee?

Coffee: Any of various tropical African shrubs or trees of the genus Coffea, especially C. arabica, widely cultivated in the tropics for their seeds that are dried, roasted, and ground to prepare a stimulating aromatic drink.

I agree, REAL coffee is not diluted with all that stuff.

middle to middle
02-26-2006, 15:29
I believe that the reason the water is not vigorously boiled is to keep oxygen in which improves taste. Introduce coffee grounds just as water starts to bubble.

Lump76
02-28-2006, 15:51
Maybe along with HYOH (Hike your own hike) there ought to be another motto... DYOC (Drink your own coffee). I'm pretty sure if you add a little flavoring, cream, sugar, whatever... it's still coffee. :-?

I personally like to make my coffee super strong and then add a little sugar to scale back the bitterness. People ask me, why don't you just make it weaker? Because I still want the kick of strong coffee... but I don't want all the bitterness.

If you've ever had coffee from freshly roasted beans, you know that fresh coffee naturally has a slightly sweet taste. It's only after the beans get old and stale or the grounds sit on stores shelves for months that the coffee becomes harsh and bitter. So saying that "real coffee" is black and bitter is really no more true than saying that Hazelnut Mocha Latte is "real coffee".

It's all coffee... drink whatever tastes good to you. Can't we all just get along? ;)

Dances with Mice
02-28-2006, 16:01
Maybe along with HYOH (Hike your own hike) there ought to be another motto... DYOC (Drink your own coffee). I'm pretty sure if you add a little flavoring, cream, sugar, whatever... it's still coffee. :-?
In the spirit of diversity and acceptance, I'm willing to concede chickory.

TrailBearGA
02-28-2006, 16:35
Here's a couple of tricks and a gizmo:

Trick No. 1: Salt. If you don't mind a little sodium in your brew... Dump the grounds into boiling hot water. Let it steep. Add a bit of salt to the top, the grounds will sink to the bottom, drink off the top.

Trick No. 2: The Centrifuge. Put the grounds in your pot. By whatever means you find acceptable spin the pot quickly in a over the top loop - like a roller coaster. You may want to practice with some cold water. Three or Four good spins yields good results. The grounds will stay on the bottom, scoop off the top (don't pour) and you're good to go. (Yes this really does work)

Gizmo: The GSI Outdoors Lexan Press. This gizmo is nice n' light and does the trick, adds too much bulk to my pack I only use it at work and at home for tea... but I do know many java addicts who pack it on every trip. Most outfitters carry them in various sizes.

Donn Ahearn
02-28-2006, 17:58
...of which there appear to be tons (I mean we are talking coffee here!), I'll quote my good cyberbuddy Wade Anderson, who was quoting someone else: "I didn't come all the way out here to drink instant coffee."

I think I saw a tea ball mentioned. I know I've seen bombprooof French presses designed for trail use. (Save weight. Grind at home.) There are a couple other contraptions, available at REI and suchlike (and much smaller than a French press), that, tea ball-like, allow you to get the Instant Effect -- OK, a little slower than instant but not an amount you should care about if you're backpacking, I mean, take a pee, look around -- and drink "real" -- wait, remove those quotes, REAL -- coffee.

Don't drink instant. What ARE you, man, MAD? Drink hot choc (instant!) first. REAL coffee. You can even do it cowboy style -- throw the grounds loose in the pot and use the shells from those eggs you packed in to settle 'em.

I'm gonna go home, pack, and cancel my plans for the weekend. I need some COFFEE.:eek:

KirkMcquest
02-28-2006, 18:21
I don't know if this has been posted all ready but; I drop grounds into boiled water, stir and let sit for a few while grounds sink. Then I put a bandana over my cup and slowly pour through.

drsukie
02-28-2006, 19:05
Can we agree that drinks diluted with flavors of nuts, fruits, flowers, or candy is not coffee?

Does that mean that coffee with, say, Irish Whisky in it, is NOT coffee?????

Say it ain't so, Joe..... :o Sue

Dances with Mice
02-28-2006, 19:22
Does that mean that coffee with, say, Irish Whisky in it, is NOT coffee?????

Say it ain't so, Joe..... :o SueNothing should be put in Irish Whisky.

drsukie
03-01-2006, 14:33
Nothing should be put in Irish Whisky.

Amen................:p Sue

TrailBearGA
03-01-2006, 21:37
I go very well in an irish whiskey!

(or was it the other way around?)

drsukie
03-01-2006, 21:52
I go very well in an irish whiskey!

(or was it the other way around?)

oh baby....:banana

judypudy
03-04-2006, 02:51
Has anyone tried Javettes? www.javette.com (http://www.javette.com)

Does anyone know how much they weigh?

carolinahiker
03-04-2006, 03:03
My son in the army sends me his mre coffee i drink it on the trail with to much sugar as the wife says it will wake up a dead man lol.

neo
03-04-2006, 09:58
i just had a cup:cool: neo

its always better if ya have a jet boil:cool: neo

http://www.jetboil.com/

Beren
03-04-2006, 10:54
Starbucks extra bold (or if you want a real treat - Jamaican Blue Mountain), ground for a coffee press (important if you do not want to eat the grounds!), steeped in the coffee press for several minutes (according to taste - I go for 5 minutes if I can wait that long). The Coffee press doubles as a containiner for your coffee. Separate the coffee into serving sizes and put them into the small ziplock bags, stuffed into the press when not in use. Do NOT use boiling water! Take it off of the heat as soon as a slow boil started and let it cool slightly before pouring into the press. (Only Turkish coffee should be boiled - as described elsewhere in this thread).

Some things should NEVER be compromised on, and coffee is one of them! Nothing says ecstasy better than waking up in the wilderness with a wonderful view to a wonderful cup of coffee.

Furlough
03-05-2006, 14:50
DRSUKIE,
How is your Thunder Press working out. Looks like I am headed to Iraq for a year and am thinking of taking something like this with me. Where did you get yours from, if you don't mind my asking.

Furlough

drsukie
03-07-2006, 17:53
DRSUKIE,
How is your Thunder Press working out. Looks like I am headed to Iraq for a year and am thinking of taking something like this with me. Where did you get yours from, if you don't mind my asking.

Furlough

I LOVE it - as I sit here looking at it on my desk. I find it does not work well with "standard" ground coffee already in the bag; I usually grind my own, but in a pinch I had to use some ready-made. I would suggest espresso grind to make it really taste smooth.

I can't remember where I got it right now - but I saw the link in Backpacker. Or, you could Google "Thunder Press" and I bet it shows up... Sue

onehikes
03-14-2006, 11:31
I love a cup of coffee in the morning, it is one of my best moments is to relax and enjoy a cup. I use the one cup maker I got at REI. Only $4.50 and I use it for loose tea as well as coffee if I want. One-Cup Coffee Maker

$4.50 Item 401153 theprice = "$4.50" ;// hero swap codevar NS4 = (navigator.appName.indexOf("Netscape")>=0 && !document.getElementById)? true : false;var IE4 = (document.all && !document.getElementById)? true : false;var W3C = (document.getElementById)? true : false;var heroColorName;var isloaded=false;var largeHeroImgLink = "http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?productId=438&storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&langId=-1&color=BROWN&img=/media/266811.jpg&view=large";var enlargeText = " Click for larger view.";// moved functions to header. PLooney(27-Aug-04)http://a1072.g.akamai.net/f/1072/2062/1d/gallery.rei.com/media/266801.jpg (javascript:myGoto(largeHeroImgLink);)

Aramis
03-14-2006, 20:20
Hmm, let's see...Starbucks or Lavazza? McDonalds or Maxims? Martha Stewart or Georgio Armani? :)

Perfect coffee tastes like chocolate.

Lavazza fine ground espresso in a tea infuser directly in the mug. Might be a bit butch and hairy for some, but any true coffee lover knows that it's not real coffee unless there's mud in the bottom!

Most American coffee is ground coarse. That's fine for drip filters, presses and percolators, but it sucks for more direct methods. If you want it thick and fast it has to be ground to a fine powder.

The first photo shows the most common kind. The second looks lighter, and the chain could be replaced with fishing line :)

crane egan
04-13-2006, 17:22
I use the Big Sky Bistro it is plastic french press weighs 8oz. holds 16oz. Think i bought it at REI. On the press it says WWW.porterproducts.com

wilderness bob
04-13-2006, 21:06
I make what is called Moco, I may be spelling it wrong but, who cares. One scoop of instant coffee, one packet of hot cocoa, one scoop of sugar and one scoop of powdered cream. I kept the coffee, sugar and cream each in a small separate Tupperware container. Two were eventually replaced with pilfered cream and sugar packets. All combined made a great tasting mix. Sugar and caffeine does the body good.

weggers
04-13-2006, 22:15
This thread has become so long, I'm sorry if I'm redundant. I too can't stand instant coffee. I'm not a big fan of the sour after taste. Instead I buy a high quality roast and have the beans ground extra fine.

More surface area = more flavor. Perhaps this is why some had trouble with the MSR filter, etc. But also do whatever is appropriate for the type of filter you use if you don't like to drink the grounds.

I freeze them until I'm ready to hike, and then I keep the grounds in air tight containers. Exposure to air can really ruin a bean (but as coffee drinkers, you probably know that).

verasch
04-24-2006, 15:11
i'm a coffee lover myself, but i'm also addicted to it. so i get funny looks when i pack in both the crap and the good.

i have the rei lexan press. it's okay, but the filter/screen/arm thingy keeps disconnecting from eachother, and the grounds get everywhere. annoying to say the least.

a few pages back someone mentioned holding the pot above the stove to produce a simmer. boiling water is 220 degrees, so if you wait 2 minutes after turning off the stove, it will fall to about 190 degrees, which is how high the temp should be for coffee, whether its instant or pressed. if you pour in boiling water you run the risk of burning the coffee, which is where the bitter or sour aftertaste comes in.

i usually a half pound of coffee with me, and it's gone in two days, but i've only packed it when i'm going to a hut. for the rest, i pack a bunch of instant coffee. not pouring boiling water over the grounds is key to a decent (read:medicinal) cup of joe.

personally, i don't freeze my coffee. when you freeze coffee, the inside of the bag sweats and you get condensation forming. that's water, which can make the coffee taste old or musty. you aren't saving any life of the coffee by freezing it, regardless of what dunkin donuts says. ground coffee will last for a week, but whole bean will last for 3 weeks.

just out of curiosity, is it bad to throw the grounds out on the ground? i didn't think of this. is it okay to burn them in the fire? with all the coffee i drink, maybe i should just switch to instant if it means packing out with old coffee grinds.

Skidsteer
04-24-2006, 18:47
just out of curiosity, is it bad to throw the grounds out on the ground? i didn't think of this. is it okay to burn them in the fire? with all the coffee i drink, maybe i should just switch to instant if it means packing out with old coffee grinds.

Carry the grinds with you when you "seek the bushes". Dispose of the grinds in the cat hole, cover, and let it rot.:)

tech30528
04-29-2006, 10:27
This one's easy. Carnation Instant Breakfast with Folger's crystals. I mix it in a Zip-loc ahead of time. Gets you all your vitamins first thing, tastes great, and gets the caffienne rollin'.

PoppaZ
05-01-2006, 15:06
Not sure if this has been brought up by anyone but...

When I saw this the first thought that popped up into my head was "Backpacking!" It might be too heavy for any ultralighters but its all plastic construction and supposedly yields quite an impressive brew.

http://www.aerobie.com/Products/aeropress.htm
Anyone try it out yet? I've ordered it and will see how it works out.

simplehiker
05-23-2006, 11:26

I love snowpeak but these are poorly made. The filter circle does not make a full seal with the chamber and you end up with coffee grounds everwhere. HIGHLY dissapointing to say the least. I tested several of these all with the same flaw.

sorry for the bad news.

simplehiker

Lanthar Mandragoran
05-23-2006, 16:21
This one's easy. Carnation Instant Breakfast with Folger's crystals. I mix it in a Zip-loc ahead of time. Gets you all your vitamins first thing, tastes great, and gets the caffienne rollin'.

wow... interesting idea... may need to look into that... (even for breakfast at home)

Jaybird
05-24-2006, 05:18
Man...just leave all the "french coffee presses", espresso boilers, campfire pots, etc @ home....Use the good ol' trail standard: FOLGERS INSTANT...& remember to DOUBLE the amount you "think" you might need! :D

NICKTHEGREEK
05-24-2006, 19:17
Here, middle east that is, Israel for me, we use what we call "Turkish coffee". it's a strong roast of coffee beans, ground of course.
We boil it gently (2 teaspoons) together with about 150 ml of water and then add sugar for taste. Look for that coffee at Greek , Israeli or any other middle eastern food deli's. Just don't over boiled it (burn) for too long, the moment it start boiling lift it above the flame and simmer it for 10-20 seconds more.
This is as closed as it can get to an esspresso..
I know I'll bring about 2 lbs with me for maildrops.

Naturally I agree, it's good stuff, but the brew just doesn't seem to translate well without a "briki" the bronze, long handled pot that's used traditionally by Greeks (maybe everyone). The dimensions of the briki seem essential to the foam created just as the nectar of the Gods comes to a boil. What do you use when hiking? My attempts with small ti pots and sierra/cascade cups were less than acceptable.

WadeH
06-16-2006, 09:59
For real coffee drinkers all you have to do is just put some of your favorite brand of coffee in the pot with the amount of water you want and bring it to a boil. About 2 teaspoons for each cup of water. Take of heat and pour just a little of cold water into it. About 1/10 amount of the water that you boiled. The cold water will cause all the grounds to settle to the bottom of the pot. Just pour carefully and you will not get any grounds in your cup or keep a small napkin handy and pour it through it. Works great and I can not tell the difference between it and the coffee I make at home.

Jaybird
06-17-2006, 08:23
For real coffee drinkers all you have to do is just put some of your favorite brand of coffee in the pot with the amount of water you want and bring it to a boil. About 2 teaspoons for each cup of water. Take of heat and pour just a little of cold water into it. About 1/10 amount of the water that you boiled. The cold water will cause all the grounds to settle to the bottom of the pot. Just pour carefully and you will not get any grounds in your cup or keep a small napkin handy and pour it through it. Works great and I can not tell the difference between it and the coffee I make at home.

...& (if you're not very careful) you can use your "do-rag" as a filter!:D

Lanthar Mandragoran
06-22-2006, 13:47
...& (if you're not very careful) you can use your "do-rag" as a filter!:D

And, under no circumstances, should you ever consider your "spare pair" an acceptable filter...

mtsanders21
10-05-2006, 12:16
I carry a 4 cup percolator :} some things shouldnt be skimped on...

rei... :welcome
Is space in the pack a problem? I am worried about buying a grinder and Perc and then it being to bulky and heavy. I would just pre grind my coffee, but it only has a week window before it goes stale. Is it truly worth, because I don't think I can survive without a good cup in the morning?

twosticks
10-05-2006, 13:12
Go with some good starbucks ground coffee, the darker the better and use the jetboil press system. gets it hot and strong quick. another plus for the jetboil.

mrc237
10-05-2006, 19:37
I was able to use the insides of an old perculator for my JetBoil worked great but took awhile to control overboil. I also use the over the cup drip using ''Fourbucks" "Freedom'' dark roast, makes a great cuppa kawfee.

Jaybird
10-06-2006, 05:16
my ONE luxury ITEM...i HAVE to take on the trail is COFFEE....gots to have the CAFFEINE!

i've gone thru some spiffy trail contraptions over the years...single bag coffees, coffee press, camp espresso machine, even a camp coffee-maker & an aluminum camp percolator....(all too messy, too much to carry...& most importantly too much weight!)

i NOW just find my favorite dark roast & take a DOUBLE HELPING (freeze-dried) for each day & enjoy a strong, black cup o' java each morning before i hit the trail!.....................................ahhhhhh hhhhhhhh Blue Ridge Morning!:D

MOWGLI
10-06-2006, 07:48
OK, let's talk coffee!

American Hiking Society recently entered into an agreement with Higher Ground Roasters to develop a 100% organic, shade grown Fair Trade blend of coffee that supports our Southern Appalachians Initiative (http://www.highergroundroasters.com/seftc.html). The coffee is a MEDIUM roast, and 10% of all proceeds benefits American Hiking Society.

Higher Ground also sells a DARK roast that benefits the Appalachian Trail Conservancy (http://www.highergroundroasters.com/appalachian.html). Same deal! 10% of all proceeds benefits ATC.

So, I guess what I'm saying is, that you can support your trails AND have a great cup of coffee every morning. I'm drinking the SEFTC blend right now, and it's mighty fine!

twosticks
10-06-2006, 09:50
OK, let's talk coffee!

American Hiking Society recently entered into an agreement with Higher Ground Roasters to develop a 100% organic, shade grown Fair Trade blend of coffee that supports our Southern Appalachians Initiative (http://www.highergroundroasters.com/seftc.html). The coffee is a MEDIUM roast, and 10% of all proceeds benefits American Hiking Society.

Higher Ground also sells a DARK roast that benefits the Appalachian Trail Conservancy (http://www.highergroundroasters.com/appalachian.html). Same deal! 10% of all proceeds benefits ATC.

So, I guess what I'm saying is, that you can support your trails AND have a great cup of coffee every morning. I'm drinking the SEFTC blend right now, and it's mighty fine!

Ok, so dump the starbucks and use the higher ground coffee in the jetboil system. Be kind to the trail and be kind to yourself.

whizbang
10-06-2006, 13:56
I use the "Big Sky Bistro" French press with the handle sawed off; it weighs 6.7 oz and is multi-use. A pal of mine uses filters with a sawed down plastic mug-top filter, and dries out the filters and uses them for TP.
After you disperse the grounds widely, gently pull the filter apart at the seam. Scrape it clean with your knife and sun dry, or hang it off your pack to dry. Dispersal of coffee grounds is officially a LNT practice, according to my friend who is a NOLS instructor. Just be sure to be a good distance (200+ feet)from water and trails and campsites.
We stop for coffee in the midafternoon most days and sit for a bit, then hike a few hours more till dinner (then go a litte more after dinner) . Coffee twice a day gives you plenty of TP, and you can use them for fire starters, pot holders, etc. Multi-purpose at it's best.

Jaybird
10-07-2006, 08:56
OK, let's talk coffee!

i bought a bag of the DARK ROAST when it first was introduced...helping out the cause.......

i hope they've improved it!

imho....terrible blend....taste like trail scat.

mrc237
10-07-2006, 09:05
Just bought 2 lbs of ''Fourbucks" at Costco but bookmarked HG for the next time. Good info Mo.

MOWGLI
10-07-2006, 09:53
i bought a bag of the DARK ROAST when it first was introduced...helping out the cause.......

i hope they've improved it!

Try the medium roast. I'll buy it back from you if you don't like it!

I'll also be handing out some samples at the ALDHA Gathering (quantities are limited!). Come visit the American Hiking Society booth on Saturday and see Seth or me.

Sly
10-07-2006, 10:28
"Fourbucks" is $8 where I live. I buy what's on sale. New England Coffee this week.

mrc237
10-07-2006, 20:05
For 2.5 lbs?

Jaybird
10-08-2006, 09:04
"Fourbucks" is $8 where I live. I buy what's on sale. New England Coffee this week.

Consumer Reports & i agree the BEST COFFEE "on the CHEAP" in our part o' the country is: 8 O'clock brand

recent article:

Caribou, Dunkin' Donuts top Starbucks in "best packaged beans" test
Consumer Reports says Caribou Coffee has the best packaged coffee beans. (Its coffee was the only brand among 42 tested to garner a rating of "excellent.") Eight O'Clock ranked second and Dunkin' Donuts third in the test. Industry giant Starbucks came in 11th. (Minneapolis Star Tribune)

you can buy a bag of 8 O'clock @ your local grocer for about HALF what the NAME BRANDS will cost you.

i rest my case...

neo
10-08-2006, 09:07

:) wow that sound good,i will try it:cool: neo

MOWGLI
10-08-2006, 09:12
Starbucks has a freshness issue - related to the size of their distribution chain. I like my coffee fresh roasted. The fresher, the better.

Jaybird
10-08-2006, 09:13
while we're talking of GREAT COFFEE:

its not very cheap...but, MAN...its gotta be some of the BEST i've ever had:

http://www.kojays.com/Coffee%20Products.html

when i'm in Western NC...i make it a point to stop by this little coffee shop on Main Street in Blowing Rock (7 miles from Boone).

i prefer the "Blue Ridge Morning" blend

you wont regret it.

MOWGLI
10-08-2006, 09:34
its not very cheap...but, MAN...its gotta be some of the BEST i've ever had:

You get what you pay for. Usually anyway.

Sly
10-08-2006, 10:02
I buy 8 O'clock when it's on sale. I wish they had Dunkin Donuts around here, I think their coffee got me addicted.

Nean
10-08-2006, 10:18
People go to Starbucks for the coffee? :eek: :D

My brother is in the coffee business so we get to sample all kinds. The stuff we have now came from Italy. I enjoy 8 O'clock as well as the local brand round cheer: CCs aka Community Club. I'm not real big on brands as long as its thick. I don't care for the coffee flavored water they serve at a lot of places.

Dances with Mice
10-08-2006, 10:42
People go to Starbucks for the coffee? :eek: :D

My brother is in the coffee business so we get to sample all kinds. The stuff we have now came from Italy. I enjoy 8 O'clock as well as the local brand round cheer: CCs aka Community Club. I'm not real big on brands as long as its thick. I don't care for the coffee flavored water they serve at a lot of places.Is CC the same as Community (http://www.communitycoffee.com/ccc/)? New Orleans blend? So much chickory you can use the brew for ink? Wonderful stuff, my favorite.

MOWGLI
10-08-2006, 10:44
Is CC the same as Community (http://www.communitycoffee.com/ccc/)? New Orleans blend? So much chickory you can use the brew for ink? Wonderful stuff, my favorite.

I believe Brother Nean is hanging his shingle in New Orleans. Ain't that right Nean?

Nean
10-08-2006, 11:12
I believe Brother Nean is hanging his shingle in New Orleans. Ain't that right Nean?

True dat Brother Jeffery. And it is Community Coffee not Club DWM. The N.O. blend is a favorite... it's actually guaranteed to give you a bowel movement :eek: , which- as we all know,:-? is how us professional drinkers rate caffine content! :D :o

Ewker
10-09-2006, 10:37
Consumer Reports & i agree the BEST COFFEE "on the CHEAP" in our part o' the country is: 8 O'clock brand

you can buy a bag of 8 O'clock @ your local grocer for about HALF what the NAME BRANDS will cost you.

i rest my case...

not sure where you shop but 8 O-clock is one of highest priced coffee's in Nashville

Dances with Mice
10-09-2006, 11:06
True dat Brother Jeffery. And it is Community Coffee not Club DWM. The N.O. blend is a favorite... Luzianne is another chickory blend from Nawlins. Luzianne is always stocked in local stores but I can't always find CC. Either one's better than anything else.

Topcat
10-09-2006, 17:56
8 O' Clock is not expensive here...i remember when it was the A and P brand. It is what we drink at home.

Skidsteer
10-09-2006, 18:26
I'm partial to Yuban dark roast (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.yuban.com/yuban/images/usen1/pictures/yuban_darkroast.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.yuban.com/yuban/page%3Fsiteid%3Dyuban-prd%26locale%3Dusen1%26PagecRef%3D204&h=160&w=128&sz=10&hl=en&start=2&tbnid=rY-8u7oDfBvULM:&tbnh=98&tbnw=78&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dyuban%2Bdark%2Broast%26svnum%3D10%26h l%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN) for a reasonably-priced "everyday' coffee.

As a bonus, the 1/4" rim at the top of the can is the perfect size to accept a Heineken pot (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=13236&c=516)for Hobo stove do-it-yourselfers.

whizbang
10-10-2006, 11:04
Check out http://cafemam.com/ for great organic and very PC coffee from Chiapas MX via Eugene OR. I just paid $36.50 for 5 lb of freshly roasted french roast. If you split the shipping it is very reasonable, and the coffee is amazing. I like it better than Peet's, which I have often heard said is the best coffee out there.

Monkeyboy
10-23-2006, 17:06
Two suggestions.....

1.) When using the MSR basket gizmo, grind your own coffee very, very fine to release the coffee easier. You don't even need to let it steep....just drizzle water over basket slowly and it will be just like automatic drip coffee

2.) When making "cowboy coffee" (boiling the coffee directly in the water), when you are done, drizzle a small amount of cool water over the entire surface of the hot water. As the cool water sinks (because heat rises) it will drag all of the grounds to the bottom of the pot.

ShakeyLeggs
10-23-2006, 17:23
Two suggestions.....

1.) When using the MSR basket gizmo, grind your own coffee very, very fine to release the coffee easier. You don't even need to let it steep....just drizzle water over basket slowly and it will be just like automatic drip coffee

2.) When making "cowboy coffee" (boiling the coffee directly in the water), when you are done, drizzle a small amount of cool water over the entire surface of the hot water. As the cool water sinks (because heat rises) it will drag all of the grounds to the bottom of the pot.

Also a sharp rap on the side of the pot works to drop the grounds as well.

namehere
10-23-2006, 19:52
i've found that coffee tastes best when freshly roasted. in fact, there is a peak time of freshness before most coffees begin to taste like any other coffee. this peak time for freshness is between 2 to 7 days of roasting. unfortunately, most coffee sitting on the store shelves is beyond 7 days old. as well, ground coffee tends to stale at a remarkably higher rate.

there is a coffee roaster about two miles from my house that i order from. they have the roast date imprinted on the bag, freshly roasted for me the day i pick it up. here is how i make my coffee:

i use fresh cold filtered water, grind my beans in a burr grinder moments before, use a moka pot to brew, and enjoy near espresso-strength coffee. if i skip any of these steps, i taste a difference in the strength and flavor of the coffee.

as long as there are outlets readily available at every shelter along the AT, i could bring my burr grinder (5.5 lbs), moka pot (3.5 lbs), water filter (.6 lbs), and one 1 lb whole bean bag of coffee. 10 lbs + electricity = great coffee :)

if electricity *happens* to not be readily available to me, here are a few possibly alternatives i have been ruminating:

alternative #1 (heavy weight)
hand burr grinder (like the zassenhaus or loka - probably around 2 lb)
a smaller 1 cup size moka pot (hopefully around 1.5 lb)
whole bean coffee

alternative #2 (medium weight)
plastic hand grinder (gsi grinder - 11 ounces)
permanent coffee filter (like the swiss gold kf300 - <2 ounces)
whole bean coffee

alternative #3 (light weight)
percolator (like the gsi coffee pot - 1.5 lbs)
ground coffee

(ultra-light)
alternative #4a
permanent coffee filter (<2 ounces)
ground coffee

alternative #4b
cowboy coffee method

halftime
10-24-2006, 11:20

I have a scoutmaster friend who does this but also adds instant oatmeal for a convenient one cup meal.

Beren
10-24-2006, 19:32
I have a scoutmaster friend who does this but also adds instant oatmeal for a convenient one cup meal.

:-? Just be cause you are backpacking in the wilderness, there is no reason to be savages!:D

>The Coffee Purist<
(The only reason I don't have a permanent IV of coffee hooked up is I am addicted to the taste, too!)

- Drink Coffee - Do stupid things faster and with more energy!

Jaybird
10-25-2006, 05:03
Originally Posted by tech30528

MAN!

that is one HELLUVAWAY to RUIN a good cup of coffee!:D

Pokey2006
10-25-2006, 05:08
Did someone already say hot chocolate? One of those little one serving packets lasted me for a week. You only need a little bit in the coffee to take the edge off that nasty instant coffee flavor.

Forgive me if I'm being repititious -- I didn't feel like reading through all 12 pages in this thread, but just had to pass along the hot chocolate tip.

Those coffee bags, like tea bags, work well, too, and taste better then instant. But then you have more trash to pack out.

Monkeyboy
10-27-2006, 09:38
Now that we've got the coffee thing covered, and Pokey brings up a good point, what do you guys use for creamer.....

Myself, I can't stand the taste of Cremora or other non-dairy creamers, so I would rather use the small creamer containers of half-and-half that do not need to be refrigerated.

What do ya'll use.......creamer, powdered milk, etc?

Lanthar Mandragoran
10-27-2006, 10:47
Talking about coffee, on a campout the other weekend I realized that my Homemade Ti (Snowpeak) Windscreen (http://picasaweb.google.com/jdmitch/HomemadeTiSnowpeakWindscreen) is the PERFECT size if one wants to use standard coffee filters to make drip coffee... now I just need to figure out how to rig it up to hold it over a pot (on the campout I resorted to letting the grounds steep in the filter in the windscreen in the pot and pulling the windscreen / filter out of the pot with pliers... good coffee, but a little uncouth)

halftime
10-29-2006, 09:23
I have a one-cup manual coffee maker that uses a #2 coffee filter. It fits over the top of a standard size coffee cup. Works great for a single cup of brew. It weighs 1.5 oz. (without cup and filter). Link below

http://www.melitta.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=64+0209&Cat=

headchange4u
10-30-2006, 11:56
Now that we've got the coffee thing covered, and Pokey brings up a good point, what do you guys use for creamer.....

Myself, I can't stand the taste of Cremora or other non-dairy creamers, so I would rather use the small creamer containers of half-and-half that do not need to be refrigerated.

What do ya'll use.......creamer, powdered milk, etc?

I'm the same way. I HATE powdered creamer. I have tried using the half and half in the small containers but once you have one bust you will leave them at home.

Right now I am using powdered milk, Carnation whole powdered milk to be exact. It's not the best but helluva lot better than powdered creamers

EDIT:
My vote for the best (cheap) coffee is the "Hawaiian Classic" that is sold at Sam's Club. 11.71 for 2.5lbs of whole bean goodness. My favorite coffee is Bad Ass Coffee's (http://www.badasscoffee.com/) 100% Kona Peaberry and runs close to $40 per lb. so I don't get it that often. The Sam's Club Hawaiian tastes almost exactly the same and really has a kick.

MarcnNJ
10-30-2006, 12:02
This one is a no brainer.....Mt Hagens freeze dried organic coffee for me....

If its cold outside, Ill have a hot cup in the morning....

During my first break of the day, Ill mix 1 chocolate carnation, 1 scoop chocolate whey protein powder, a dash of powdered milk, and a heaping amount of Mt. Hagens coffee.....talk about a delicious power/protein blast!

Lanthar Mandragoran
10-30-2006, 15:09

During my first break of the day, Ill mix 1 chocolate carnation, 1 scoop chocolate whey protein powder, a dash of powdered milk, and a heaping amount of Mt. Hagens coffee.....talk about a delicious power/protein blast!

Hmmm... I think that's the kind I found (and have some at home) that don't mind the taste of... what ratio of coffee to hot water are you using?

Pokey2006
10-30-2006, 22:42
I used powdered milk. Can also add it to your Liptons for dinner. Seems to me it's more nutritious then non-dairy creamer, which is little more than oil and sugar.

But then again, I'm not that picky. As long as I have my coffee, with something resembling cream and sugar, who cares how bad it tastes?

MarcnNJ
10-31-2006, 01:39
I dont even use hot water when I make it....the freeze dried coffee dissolves in a few minutes with some vigorous shaking even in cold water...

Pokey2006
10-31-2006, 01:45
Ewwwww...I say, just boil the darn water and have semi-real coffee, for crying out loud!

But for coffee addicts, the only real deal is to avoid the caffeine headache. As long as you get caffeine, and you're not suffering too horribly, it's all good.

fvital
10-31-2006, 10:35
But for coffee addicts

We prefer the title of "coffee conniosseurs":p

ahodlofski
12-24-2006, 00:40
At those little towns along the trail in maine..is good ground coffee available to take with?

Grinder
12-27-2006, 14:04
<G>
There is no god but caffeine and Starbucks is the prophet.

<G>

Tom

RiverWarriorPJ
12-27-2006, 14:24
..4 an OverNiter, I bring a perkolator, but anything longer, I just use my cook pot. In either case, I use MaxWellHouse "rich" filter paks...make 4, 6oz cups to my liking. No fuss no muss. As a backup I always bring along a few Folgers bags. I drop 1 in w/the filter pak when I spend a lil too much time w/the Capt (capt morgan) the night b/4....

H2O_Buffalo
12-27-2006, 15:17
"Black as night, sweet as love, strong as sin, hot as hell..."

Grind it and take a press pot. There shall be no coffee in any other way.

Jaybird
12-28-2006, 06:00
"Black as night, sweet as love, strong as sin, hot as hell..."Grind it and take a press pot. There shall be no coffee in any other way.

i'm enjoying some HOLIDAY JAVA right now.....sip, sip....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh:D

H2O_Buffalo
12-28-2006, 07:26
i'm enjoying some HOLIDAY JAVA right now.....sip, sip....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh:D

^5 Jaybird.

highway
12-28-2006, 08:33

SSSHHHHHHH.................. Its a secret that so few seem to realize the 'heapin' benefits of the chocolate whey protein powder mixed with their morning coffee while hiking.

Grinder
01-14-2007, 09:21
I just read through 5 or 6 pages or posts on the subject and didn't see my method, so here's hoping it's not a repeat.

I agree with the majority of "true coffee connoisseurs", that brewing requires either a cone filter or a french press to be ideal. Even though the lexan french presses are reasonably light, they take up a lot of cube.

But, cowboy coffee is okay, really as good as french press, if you--

Carry a small plastic framed tea strainer. boil your water, add a heaping tbsp of ground coffee, let sit to steep in the cosy, and pour into cup through the strainer.

The strainer weighs a bit less than 1 ounce. And, the strainer mesh crushes flat for packing.

I suppose you could just carry a piece of mesh and place that over the cup to cut weight even further, but for me, enough is enough!!

Miles of Smiles

Tom

Jaybird
01-14-2007, 09:42
I just read through 5 or 6 pages or posts on the subject and didn't see my method, so here's hoping it's not a repeat.
I agree with the majority of "true coffee connoisseurs", that brewing requires either a cone filter or a french press to be ideal. Even though the lexan .........................etc,etc,etc,.........ace that over the cup to cut weight even further, but for me, enough is enough!!Tom

Yo Tom:

if you're taking a bandana...use it as a filter....it's multi-functional...& rinses out nicely!:D

good luck with your hike!

oldfivetango
01-14-2007, 10:38
Haven't read all of the posts so this could be repetative but I know some folks like "Cowboy Coffee."

From my experience these are the rough directions.

Bring water to a simmer(important that its not a boil).

Pour in about twice the amount of normal coffee grounds after pouring the water into a cup.

Then pour just a little bit of cold water in a circle to sink all the grounds and drink away. Just be careful not to drink the grounds. Thats the only downfall.
Enjoy

Inquiring minds want to know........what happens if I drink the
grounds?
OFT

Skidsteer
02-05-2007, 21:03
Another idea for real coffee (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21381&highlight=coffee%21)on the trail...

Dances with Mice
02-05-2007, 21:16
grounds?Depends...

Jaybird
02-06-2007, 06:13
grounds?
OFT

your trail name immediately becomes....."JUAN VALDEZ":D

mweinstone
02-06-2007, 08:54
if you guys love coffie so much why dont you kiss it?

iafte
02-06-2007, 09:18
I didn't read all the posts because I'm feeling lazy this morning. But I use the tea bag coffee singles and save the bag for when I start hiking. Place bag like a good chew between teeth and gums and it's instant energy while hiking.

gardeninghiker
02-06-2007, 10:35
How do you make it?
Thanks you reminded me I need a refill. I take mine black and I prefer to grind my own beans. Dark. Sometimes on the trail though I take a break and just have tea. Other times, I take my beans I just ground at home and make some good dark coffee. Not really ideal for long distance though.