PDA

View Full Version : average high and low temperature by month for places along the AT ????

Crazy_Al
12-10-2007, 09:16
What is the website where you can see the average high and low temperature by month for places along the AT ????

CaseyB
12-10-2007, 09:29
What is the website where you can see the average high and low temperature by month for places along the AT ????
http://www.city-data.com/

Temp info down near bottom of each city's page just below crime info.

hopefulhiker
12-10-2007, 09:30
This is a good chart from the ATC...

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.1025291/k.72A0/Average_Temperatures.htm

Chaco Taco
12-10-2007, 10:05
Hell I go to Weather.com and just use the city feature and type in trail towns and it gives you the average for each day of the month as you scroll down the 10 day forcast.

minnesotasmith
12-10-2007, 11:34
What I'd REALLY like to see is a cached copy of Weathercarrot's invaluable eaverage annual snowfall map for the entire AT. It showed the Trail, state lines, some key cities, and shelter locations. I carried copies of the part from Amicalola to Pearisburg with me on my thruhike last year.

So, does anyone know where it still exists online somewhere?

the_iceman
12-10-2007, 17:45
Averages are made up of extremes. An average of one foot of snow could include zero inches and 2 feet. The same is true with temperatures. We had 10 degrees on Blood Mountain with snow and high winds Easter weekend this year. I froze my butt off in my REI +20 (NOT!!!!!) bag.

We also had a very dry, actually drought, year which made it hot and hard to find water. It was 100 degrees in Palmerton, PA at 5:00 pm. 2005 was a monsoon year and people could not get dry.

You have to prepare for the extremes not the averages. Just because the average is 40 degrees you do not want to get caught on a mountain with a 40 degree bag when the new record low hits -10.

the_iceman
12-10-2007, 17:47
BTW I also carried a radio and listened to the weather from time to time. It was never very accurate because the mountains tend to have different weather than the valleys where people and radio stations live.