PDA

View Full Version : hike suggestions needed...

sam4msu
12-10-2007, 10:59
I am looking to hike about 60 miles of the Trail in Southwest Virginia next September. I need to end somewhere in the vacinity of Whythville or Radford as this is where my wife will be staying with her family while I am hiking. She will be willing to drive a couple of hours to pick me up if that is what it takes. Any suggestions on starting and ending points? I was thinking that it makes sense to head NOBO, but I am certainly open to suggestions. I will be traveling from North Alabama.
Thanks for any suggestions and pointers offered.

Lone Wolf
12-10-2007, 11:05
Damascus, Va. to Atkins, Va. It's 75 miles. I-81 is right there at Atkins. easy pick up from the Wythville area.

Blissful
12-10-2007, 12:03
Damascus, Va. to Atkins, Va. It's 75 miles. I-81 is right there at Atkins. easy pick up from the Wythville area.

Excellent and beautiful area!!! Mt Rogers area, Grayson Highlands, etc.

Lead Dog
12-10-2007, 17:33
I would recommend from Sinking Creek, Rt 42 to Daleville Rt. 220. Covers 52 miles and the triple crown of the AT. Dragon's Tooth, McAfee's Knob and Tinkle Cliffs, plus the Audie Murphy monument a ridge before Dragon's.You could hike in either direction and your wife would have about an hour to hour 30 minute drive to pick you up at either end. I live in Dublin which is just outside of Radford and hike these great overlooks every year at least once.

sam4msu
12-11-2007, 01:03
Thanks for the advice...I will look into both routes...My Brother In Law lives in Dublin. He lives on the main road that you exit onto from 81 (not sure of the road name or number) He works in Hillsville. I will let you know which route I take and would love to meet up with you after and compare notes over our beverage of choice.

Lead Dog
12-12-2007, 10:53
Just let me know your plans and I can help you out with details. I myself am originally from Woodlawn which is just outside of Hillsville. A good ol Carroll County Gal!!! LOL