PDA

View Full Version : Unicoi Gap to Gatlinburg

Newb
12-10-2007, 12:51
Hey all;

I'm planning a section this April, I have a max of 2 weeks. How long would Unicoi to Gatlinburg take? I'm thinking 9 days....

Lone Wolf
12-10-2007, 12:54
Hey all;

I'm planning a section this April, I have a max of 2 weeks. How long would Unicoi to Gatlinburg take? I'm thinking 9 days....

it's 152 miles. you gonna do 16 miles per day

Newb
12-10-2007, 13:06
it's 152 miles. you gonna do 16 miles per day

hmph. You're right... No room for smelling the flowers (and ramps) there. Maybe I'll stop at the beginning of the Smokies and do the Smokies next year. This working life sucks. Why can't I get paid to hike?
:-?

Buckles
12-10-2007, 16:09
Quit the job. Go hiking. There's always a another job.

Unicoi Gap to Gatlinburg is 9 days would be kickin' it. You could also still hit some nasty weather in April along that stretch.

River Runner
12-11-2007, 01:33
We did Unicoi to Winding Stair in 6 days, with 2 of those short days & 2 longish ones. With 9 days, I'd try Unicoi to N.O.C., but maybe you are a faster hiker.

white rabbit
12-11-2007, 12:45
If you are a fast hiker nine days sounds reasonable. I hiked Unicoi to Fontana Dam in six days last April, but I was beat afterwards. I'm sure I could have went on to Newfound Gap in three more days. It all depends on how fast you want to go.

Ron Haven
12-11-2007, 14:47
hmph. You're right... No room for smelling the flowers (and ramps) there. Maybe I'll stop at the beginning of the Smokies and do the Smokies next year. This working life sucks. Why can't I get paid to hike?
:-?Newb,you need to allow time to stop in Franklin for the April Fool Hiker Bash Weekend :welcome

Newb
12-11-2007, 14:48
I've decided that I'm gonna just hike north for the time I have and end up where-ever I end up. My only concern will be getting back to my car in Dahlonega when I'm done. When's the fool bash? April 1st? I won't be hiking til late April.

Deerleg
12-12-2007, 08:09
I've decided that I'm gonna just hike north for the time I have and end up where-ever I end up. My only concern will be getting back to my car in Dahlonega when I'm done. ....

I hiked Unicoi to Fontana (it took me 7 days) in October and used Jeff and Nancy Hock’s shuttle service. They are just south of Fontana. Very professional as it is their full time business. Here’s a link: http://www.thehikeinn.com

About half way through my hike I planed a short day down into the NOC to enjoy a little pizza and beverage and stay at the hostel, and left early the next day for what is one of the most challenging climes on the southern AT heading up toward Cheoah bald. Overall a very rewarding section. Enjoy!