PDA

View Full Version : A Son's Promise

wildcowboy238
12-10-2007, 14:05
Hello all,,,

Back in 1996 my mother and I had planned to make the thru hike of the AT in 2000 but she passed away in '98. Since then I had lost my drive to go it alone. She and my cousin hiked a bit of it in '94 and she had told me that she wanted to go and do the whole trail but with me.
Here it is '07 and my wife told me it was time. Not knowing what to do or how to get started I am sitting here planning to make the trip in '08. At the moment I have absolutely no gear and only the drive to fulfill a promise I made to my Mother at her funeral.
Over the next few years I plan on hiking all the major trails that my mother wanted us to travel.
I do know one thing and that is that I need a wall poster of the AT for my wife to place stick pins in ans I make the trip.
My children are all for this trip and my wife is behind me 100%. So if anyone can give me any kind of advice I would be most greatful.

Freeleo
12-10-2007, 14:09
http://cgi.ebay.com/Map-of-Appalachian-Trail-on-Strip-Poster-Free-Shipping_W0QQitemZ270194599408QQihZ017QQcategoryZ2 020QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

go for it and good luck with your planning

Tsani
12-10-2007, 14:15
I commend you for desire to carry out this commitment to your mom's memory. I hope you have a great hike! She must have been quite a lady to have wanted this for you. This site is full of great advice on what to carry, what not to carry, and how to make your hike a successful and enjoyable one. Check out the articles for "newbies" and the general interest forums. You'll find a lot of stuff to help you.

Good luck and happy trails!

weary
12-10-2007, 14:20
Hello all,,,

Back in 1996 my mother and I had planned to make the thru hike of the AT in 2000 but she passed away in '98. Since then I had lost my drive to go it alone. She and my cousin hiked a bit of it in '94 and she had told me that she wanted to go and do the whole trail but with me.
Here it is '07 and my wife told me it was time. Not knowing what to do or how to get started I am sitting here planning to make the trip in '08. At the moment I have absolutely no gear and only the drive to fulfill a promise I made to my Mother at her funeral.
Over the next few years I plan on hiking all the major trails that my mother wanted us to travel.
I do know one thing and that is that I need a wall poster of the AT for my wife to place stick pins in ans I make the trip.
My children are all for this trip and my wife is behind me 100%. So if anyone can give me any kind of advice I would be most greatful.
Click on "home", then forums, and then articles. The articles contain the basic information you need.

Also useful is a free Appalachian Trail Conservancy pamphlet on hiking the trail. Open
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.1423119/k.BEA0/Home.htm

Bounce around the site. You will find a lot of good information.

Weary

sonic
12-10-2007, 14:55
Click on "home", then forums, and then articles. The articles contain the basic information you need.

Also useful is a free Appalachian Trail Conservancy pamphlet on hiking the trail. Open
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.1423119/k.BEA0/Home.htm

Bounce around the site. You will find a lot of good information.

Weary
You'll also find that map your family wants to use to keep track of your journey. Have fun!!!

wildcowboy238
12-10-2007, 15:00
Thank you all...I know this will be a wonderful trip and hope to meet many nice people along the way... I will be putting together a gear list to post and I am sure that I will get loads of comments...lol...

Smile
12-10-2007, 15:07
What a great idea for you to hike. Enjoy yourself, and feel free to get input on gear here, this site is a great resource! :)

Rain Man
12-10-2007, 15:45
If I'm not mistaken, you can get the National Park Service (and perhaps the ATC?) to mail you a free NPS AT trail map. I know I've picked them up for free (or a donation) at NPS visitor centers.

Best wishes to you.

Rain:sunMan

DawnTreader
12-10-2007, 17:00
Good Luck, Mothers are wonderful arn't they... You should have a great time planning and preparing on this site.. don't be afraid to ask questions.. and ignore those who tell you your questions are dumb.... Welcome to Whiteblaze....

Lilred
12-10-2007, 17:09
I know an outfitter in Nashville that gives away the maps for free. They are about four feet tall and roughly eight inches wide. I'd be happy to get one for you and send it to you if you pm me with your address. Gives me a good excuse to go there again......

Kirby
12-10-2007, 18:46
All the power to you, it is great you are fullfilling your promise to your mother.

All the best,
Kirby

buckowens
12-10-2007, 20:41
A very fitting tribute and great thing to do.

This site as well as Ebay is good for gear, as well as the sales at the outfitters. All of the cast of characters here have some good input and are very helpful. Go lightweight and good quality and the rest will fall into place. Good luck!!

map man
12-10-2007, 20:49
You say you have no idea how to get started and that you have no gear. I assume you haven't done any multi-day backpacking, then. You might want to start with the smaller step of doing a backpacking hike in your area of a week or less. I know Arizona has trails suited for backpacking, and Arizona is one of the few places you can hike at this time of the year without dealing with freezing temperatures. You can rent equipment at outdoor equipment retailers. A city the size of Tucson must have several.

See how you like it. If you really don't enjoy it, you have saved yourself money and a lot of emotional capital. If you do like it, your shakedown hike will teach you a great deal about backpacking and you will be better prepared for a long hike on the AT.

warraghiyagey
12-11-2007, 01:11
Hey Cowboy, check your PM's (private messages).

RITBlake
01-26-2008, 12:19
You should try doing the trail in 30 days that will make your moms real proud

warraghiyagey
01-26-2008, 12:44
Yeah, but it won't be a record.;):p

RITBlake
01-26-2008, 12:49
Yeah, but it won't be a record.;):p

Technically I haven't broken the 28 1/2 day sound barrier yet, but it's just a matter of time before I do, and will be hailed as the greatest hiker ever, ever.

warraghiyagey
01-26-2008, 12:53
Technically I haven't broken the 28 1/2 day sound barrier yet, but it's just a matter of time before I do, and will be hailed as the greatest hiker ever, ever.
Hold on now. I thought it was 27 and a half days. Trying to slide one by us?:mad: It would be particularly funny watching you sprint from Lakes of the Clouds to Madison Hut.

RITBlake
01-26-2008, 12:54
Hold on now. I thought it was 27 and a half days. Trying to slide one by us?:mad: It would be particularly funny watching you sprint from Lakes of the Clouds to Madison Hut.

Maybe it's because I had a second bowl of weaties today, but for some reason, I'm extra confident today. Let's make it a firm 26 day thru hike and be done with it.

Lone Wolf
01-26-2008, 12:56
why are you bungholes s**tin all over cowboy's thread. it ain't funny

warraghiyagey
01-26-2008, 12:56
Maybe it's because I had a second bowl of weaties today, but for some reason, I'm extra confident today. Let's make it a firm 26 day thru hike and be done with it.
NOBO? Great! I'll do 26 1/2 SOBO and therefore not have nearly the pressure on me that you will. By the way. I have no doubt you can do it in 26. 30 days is for slackers - no pun intended.

RITBlake
01-26-2008, 12:59
we will see. First guy to the end wins

warraghiyagey
01-26-2008, 13:01
we will see. First guy to the end wins
Quick work on the avatar. Will you be fording the kennebec?

RITBlake
01-26-2008, 13:02
I will be walking on top of the water in the biblical sense.

RITBlake
01-26-2008, 13:04

let's bring this back to the "29 day thru hike" thread, I don't want to upset the birthday boy. Happy belated LW

warraghiyagey
01-26-2008, 13:04
I will be walking on top of the water in the biblical sense.
Cool. Could you make me some wine while you're at it?
Oh, and is that still considered fording? You know, technically.

warraghiyagey
01-26-2008, 13:06
let's bring this back to the "29 day thru hike" thread, I don't want to upset the birthday boy. Happy belated LW
Yup. Good call.

weary
01-26-2008, 13:18
Yup. Good call.
Has anyone considered a 60-day yo yo?

Since I live in Maine, it strikes me a southbound would work best. Start on Katahdin June 1. Pick up my car and drive 150 miles to home on August 1. Does anyone know where I could park a car near Baxter for eight weeks?

I'm sure I could do Maine twice in 60 days. :)

Weary

Toolshed
01-26-2008, 14:51
People had your fun with him on the other thread. Why pick up on this thread now almost a month and a half later??
Maybe the guy is just trying to get himself through a rough patch right now - Right or wrong, haven't we all become obsessed over doing something in our lives at one point or another. :-?

refreeman
01-26-2008, 18:58

what a crock o' *hit :D

warraghiyagey
01-26-2008, 19:10
People had your fun with him on the other thread. Why pick up on this thread now almost a month and a half later??
Maybe the guy is just trying to get himself through a rough patch right now - Right or wrong, haven't we all become obsessed over doing something in our lives at one point or another. :-?
He got the attention he was seeking.

slow
01-26-2008, 19:19

SICK and....?:mad:

slow
01-26-2008, 19:34
The reason ,Why no one say they grew up in N.Y.:o

warraghiyagey
01-26-2008, 19:40
The reason ,Why no one say they grew up in N.Y.:o
No one say who to what now??http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/angry015.gif

Wilson
01-26-2008, 19:53
Bully's that gang up and pick on the different kid are cowards themselves.

slow
01-26-2008, 19:54
Just be nice ,and wish him well....ok.:)

ryaanmc
01-26-2008, 20:05
Carol and I from Prescott are leaving from Phoenix Feb.2 on a Greyhound to head for Springer to start hiking. You need to do this, not for your Mom but for yourself. "Put one foot in front of the other-repeat".

ryaanmc
01-26-2008, 20:05
Make that Feb 20th

warraghiyagey
01-26-2008, 20:07
Make that Feb 20th
Have a great hike!!!
And :welcome:welcome:welcome