PDA

View Full Version : Hiking lymphedema, upper extremity

Lellers
12-10-2007, 14:57
I'm posting this in the female forums as upper extremity lymphedema (swelling do to lymphatic system damage) can develop after breast cancer treatment. I thought I might hit my "target market" in this forum.

I have stage 2 lymphedema in my left hand. It's not a result of breast cancer, but from the best my doc and I can tell, it's a result of cumulative injuries over the years, i.e., smashing my hand between two fully loaded canoes, frostbite, etc. etc.

I could go on and describe all the lymphedema issues, but anyone who knows about it, knows all of that sort of fuss, too. I do wear a compression garment during day, wrap at night and carry Keflex in case of any sign of infection.

Does anyone have problems with lymphedema when hiking? If so, any hints for keeping it at bay? I try to stay off the trails in the hottest weather, which makes the swelling worse. I use trek poles which keep my hands from hanging low and collecting fluid, etc. etc. I'm just wondering if anyone has any other helpful hints for keeping the swelling at bay. My doc said to limit my walking. (Yeah, right!) At the same time, she tells me, "Losing weight is always a benefit."

I'll tell ya what... I'd rather lose the hand eventually and keep on hiking rather than keep it and stay at home! But, I would also like to never face that option!

Mother's Finest
12-10-2007, 15:30
Hi Lellers,

Just responding because I see people with Lymphedema all the time in my store, but they are dealing with it in the lower extremities. Many times as a result of compromised circulation from diabetes.

I am curious, since the doc said that losing weight would help, what kind of shape are you in? meaning do you have high blood pressure, are you overweight? most of the time the folks I see are both.

sorry for the questions, but it is pretty rare to see this topic on WB.

peace
mf

Lellers
12-10-2007, 16:10
I don't mind at all discussing my health status! I do not have high b.p., diabetes or any chronic illness other than a chronically puffy left hand. I am, however, 42 pounds overweight. (Was 53 lbs overweight but am on Weight Watchers and dropping slowly and steadily.) But other than the weight, I'm in good shape. I know that losing will get me in better shape, tho. So, of course, the doc told me that losing weight would be a good idea. :) Being thinner, won't cure the lymphedema, tho. I do think, however, that generally having less bulk on my body will help with any compression of the lymphatic system from backpack straps. (By the way, I had breast reduction surgery two years ago, and that actually helped me in a lot of ways. Going from an DDD cup to a B/C cup made it much easier to fit and carry a pack!)

Smile
12-10-2007, 17:20
I am not a doctor, you might consider eating nothing white for two weeks and see what that does for your hand :)

Lellers
12-10-2007, 17:32
I am not a doctor, you might consider eating nothing white for two weeks and see what that does for your hand :)

Thanks. I have indeed cut way back on processed food and sugars, and it has been effective in my weight loss and how I feel. However, I am Italian, and if I have to give up pasta, I'd rather chew the hand off! :D

Miss Janet
12-12-2007, 12:38
I found that I had significant swelling in ONE hand while hiking... when I was using one hiking staff. When I changed to poles and was using both arms I noticed much less swelling.
I used to do compression therapy with patients that had had breast surgery and were prone to lymphedema. I wonder if wearing a pair of firm gloves, even elbow length would help add compression? You would certainly be very stylish!!!

Lellers
12-12-2007, 14:32
I wonder if wearing a pair of firm gloves, even elbow length would help add compression? You would certainly be very stylish!!!

Hmmm, I wonder if I could find a pair of bright red sequined gloves? Can you just imagine the trail names I might end up with wearing those!

Smile
12-12-2007, 14:46
However, I am Italian, and if I have to give up pasta, I'd rather chew the hand off!

Capisce :)

Swirlingmist
12-14-2007, 01:46
By the way, I had breast reduction surgery two years ago, and that actually helped me in a lot of ways. Going from an DDD cup to a B/C cup made it much easier to fit and carry a pack!

I never thought of that! I'm still new at how packs are supposed to fit/feel and figured it was my "novice" status that made a readjustment necessary every half hour. In case I ever get over my issues with needles and surgery, I'll keep this in mind.

Swirlingmist
12-14-2007, 01:49
Hmmm, I wonder if I could find a pair of bright red sequined gloves?

Red and sparkly....sounds perfect :sun

Lellers
12-14-2007, 07:15
I never thought of that! I'm still new at how packs are supposed to fit/feel and figured it was my "novice" status that made a readjustment necessary every half hour. In case I ever get over my issues with needles and surgery, I'll keep this in mind.

I'll tell ya, I had the same issues. But having the reduction was the BEST decision I ever made for myself! No more back, shoulder, or neck pain, able to sleep better, clothes fit better, AND no more chafing or rashes under the breasts after sweaty hikes. A month after the surgery, I did an 8-mile day hike. I planned to just do about 5 miles, but I felt so much better that I just kept walking.

I'm also glad that I waited until I was in my 40s to have the surgery. It's nice to be perky at age (nearly) 46.:D

Swirlingmist
12-14-2007, 10:18
I'll tell ya, I had the same issues.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. If you got over it, there's a chance I might be persuaded down the line.

No more back, shoulder, or neck pain, able to sleep better, clothes fit better, AND no more chafing or rashes under the breasts after sweaty hikes. A month after the surgery, I did an 8-mile day hike. I planned to just do about 5 miles, but I felt so much better that I just kept walking.

I don't have the pain (but I've taken dance lessons which corrected my posture and strengthened my core). However, eliminating the rashes/chafing sounds like a great benefit.

I'm also glad that I waited until I was in my 40s to have the surgery. It's nice to be perky at age (nearly) 46.:D

Soooo - I guess there's time to think it over ;)