PDA

View Full Version : Big Agnes Seedhouse 1 tent?

sweetpeastu
12-10-2007, 15:59
http://www.rei.com/product/734816

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Big Agnes Seedhouse 1 tent? Is it easy to put up? Is the tent well constructed? CAn anyone speak to condensation issues? I'm looking at this one and the MSR microzoid and I must say, the Big Agnes has struck my fancy because it would allow me head room to sit up in and its free standing, which really doens't matter..lol. The big thing is that I could sit up in it.

sixhusbands
12-10-2007, 16:22
I saw one a few months back in New Hampshire. It had rained for a few days and this guy said he was high and dry! Less than 4lbs, 3 pole set up and I saw lots of room and a big vestibule area. the only down side is that your pack is outside.. I have my order into Santa for one!

Just a Hiker
12-10-2007, 16:29
I have the Big Agnes SL1 and it's been pretty good to me. The set up is as easy as any other tent, and I have had very few condensation issues. The only issue I have with the SL1 is that the floor is very delicate, but it's nothing that a piece of tyvek can't fix. By the way, there are several on EBay right now in the $125.00 to $150.00 range (new).

Just Jim

maxNcathy
12-10-2007, 16:39
I bought the BA Seedhouse SL1 and hiked 5 weeks with it last spring on the AT...tough, no leaks, roomy,...fine tent.

LIhikers
12-10-2007, 16:45
Two summers ago my wife and I shared a camp site with a thru hiker using one. In the morning, after removing all of his things from the tent, he picked it up, held it with the door facing down, and gave it a shake to get any debris out. He felt it was the "perfect" tent to thru hike with.

saimyoji
12-10-2007, 16:47
Been using my seedhouse1 for a few weeks now. Not the SL version. It is a psuedo freestanding tent. It will stand, but it will not do well in wind, nor will you get the full interior room. The fly at least must be staked out in back for full rain/wind protection and interior roomyness.

I didn't like this one so much at first, but now I love. I can bring my pack inside and still have plenty of room, it stands up to wind/rain very well, and I've had zero condensation issues. I've had it out in all kinds of weather, including snow and ice down to about 10* with no problems.

Great little tent.

sweetpeastu
12-11-2007, 10:40
Thanks for the info. I currently have an REI Quarter Dome tent which I really like and its been a nice sturdy ten for me...but the BA Seedhouse 1 is almost half the weight of my Quarter Dome....its such a temptation! lol.

Just to confirm, you say the Seedhouse is ok in the wind?

maxNcathy
12-11-2007, 11:14
Thanks for the info. I currently have an REI Quarter Dome tent which I really like and its been a nice sturdy ten for me...but the BA Seedhouse 1 is almost half the weight of my Quarter Dome....its such a temptation! lol.

Just to confirm, you say the Seedhouse is ok in the wind?

My Seedhouse SL1 has been in high winds hour after hour with no rips and no damaged poles. The tent is even steadier if you pitch an end into the wind rather than broadside to the wind.

saimyoji
12-11-2007, 12:23
Had mine up in 50 mph gusts with no problems. Get a nice tight pitch and you'll be fine.

sweetpeastu
12-11-2007, 12:39
Hey cool beans! thanks again. I'll add it to my "wish list"

Mocs123
12-11-2007, 13:11
I have the Seedhouse SL1 and have used it for a year. Ironically, I upgraded from the REI Quarter Dome. I have been very happy with the tent but it is not without its faults.

It isn’t as quick to set up as the QD is, but isn’t bad either. It does require 11, yes 11 stakes to set up with the rainfly. My QD only took 6.

The vestibule is on the smallish side, but I can put my pack (3300ci) and boots in it without a problem. Unlike the QD however, you have to move anything in the vestibule to get in or out of the tent. When it is raining outside and you open the vestibule door, it does drip inside the tent a little bit. Ventilation is fairly good, as the tent is all mesh, but I still miss the roof vent of the QD and the two vestibules for cross ventilation.

The door is also a little small to get in and out of but that is the price that you pay for an end door tent. Interior room is very good for a single person tent, better than other tents in the weight range such as the Hubba. (The Hubba is on sale at REI Outlet though)

I have used the tent in several rainstorms with fairly high winds and the tent preformed well. I wouldn’t want to be broad side into the wind without guying it out, but it has very good wind performance with the foot end into the wind. I have always stayed very dry in the tent and condensation has been minimal. I have used this tent with nighttime temperatures from the low 70’s to the upper teens, but have not seen any significant snow accumulation.

I hope to be heading to Linville Gorge in January, and Mount Rogers in February so if you are not in too much of a hurry you could get in and see what it is like inside.

Let me know if there are any specific questions that I can answer for you.

Ewker
12-11-2007, 13:43
The door is also a little small to get in and out of but that is the price that you pay for an end door tent. Interior room is very good for a single person tent, better than other tents in the weight range such as the Hubba. (The Hubba is on sale at REI Outlet though)

I looked at the Seedhouse SL1 and the Hubba. I ended up buying the Hubba as it worked better for me. Plenty of room to store everything inside.
Today I use a tarptent, lots more room and a lot lighter.