PDA

View Full Version : My Gear list....any suggestions???

wildcowboy238
12-10-2007, 19:44
Here is what I plan to take with me on my venture:

Backpack- Atmos 65 4000 cu. in weight 3lb 10 oz
Sleeping bag - a sleep system by mil-spec weight aprox 3 lbs
Ducktape
Bear bag and 75' of cord
Thermals
6 pr of socks
4 T-shirts
2 Sweat shirts
1 pr tennies
1 pr hiking boots
1 firstaid hiking kit w/ needle
Maps and Compass
Thru hiker companion

Food to be determined during training.... Water purification still need good advice as to what is best.....

I plan to run the entire trek with a weight of 30 lbs or less....

SGT Rock
12-10-2007, 19:50
Short list. When are you starting and which way are you hiking?

That is a lot of clothing. You can probably get by with:
Thermals
3 pair socks
1 T shirt
1 Sweat shirt

I would also not bring tennis shoes and boots, but that is your call.

There are a lot of things I didn't see, things like shelter, pot, stove, camera, journal, fire, rain gear, knife, etc etc etc.

For water, I reccomend Polar Pure.

wildcowboy238
12-10-2007, 20:01
Short list. When are you starting and which way are you hiking?

That is a lot of clothing. You can probably get by with:
Thermals
3 pair socks
1 T shirt
1 Sweat shirt

I would also not bring tennis shoes and boots, but that is your call.

There are a lot of things I didn't see, things like shelter, pot, stove, camera, journal, fire, rain gear, knife, etc etc etc.

For water, I reccomend Polar Pure.
You are right....I did forget to post other things...
I am looking at a bivy tent , I have a Leatherman Wave, The stove will be the old army tryoxine ( spelled wrong) camp stoves, Not much for rain gear but will consider suggestions....Digital camera.... still trying to narrow my gear list down as I am still planning.... :-?

AT-HITMAN2005
12-10-2007, 20:02
trade tennis shoes for a camp shoe(crocs or similar).

i used hiker pro filter.

agree with rock on the clothing. i used 1 t-shirt in the winter 2 in summer.

thats a lot of cord but thats just nit picking, won't add that much weight.
but then oz. add up to lbs. so whatever.

wildcowboy238
12-10-2007, 20:10
I will be NoBo and starting in march... I will be testing my gear in the mountains out here... I live in Tucson AZ and the mountains get quite cold and here lately there has been snow up in the mountains... but still trying to figure out a good way to get to springer from here....

Appalachian Tater
12-10-2007, 20:15
If you get to the Atlanta airport, you can take MARTA to the northenmost point in the system and the nice people at Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega will pick you up, put you up for the night, feed you breakfast, and deliver you to the Approach Trail or to Springer, whichever you prefer. It really makes getting there easy.

You should review some of the articles in the article section of this website, especially the ones about gear. There are plenty of other gearlists posted on this site and on other sites, and 80% of what people carry on a thru-hike is on everybody else's list as well, so there is no need to reinvent the wheel.

mountain squid
12-10-2007, 20:18
Suggest you keep researching and post a more complete list as you get it together. Less than 30# is a good goal. Is any of that clothing cotton? If so, consider synthetics instead. Cotton has a tendency to not dry quickly..

See you on the trail,
mt squid

wildcowboy238
12-10-2007, 20:22
I am working on the list it is just a starter one for me... I hike around here all the time but I am undergoing a trek that is far longer than any hike I have ever done....lol..... I will do the research and what I am getting at is mainly food considerations....

Appalachian Tater
12-10-2007, 20:28
I am working on the list it is just a starter one for me... I hike around here all the time but I am undergoing a trek that is far longer than any hike I have ever done....lol..... I will do the research and what I am getting at is mainly food considerations....

Read Baltimore Jack's resupply article. It really has everything you need to know about how and where to get food, and how much to get. Print it out and carry it with you.

wrongway_08
12-10-2007, 20:29
You can do under 30 easily, I am down to just under 27 with food and water.

Check out a tarptent instead of a bivy. I was going to do a bivy but when it rains and your stuck in one all night - it sucks. Tarptent weigh about the same and give you room.

Try for 3 pair of socks total, dont forget 2 pair of liner socks.

bigboots
12-10-2007, 20:38
...but still trying to figure out a good way to get to springer from here....

I would suggest not walking. :D

Bigboots

mountain squid
12-10-2007, 21:06
a trek that is far longer than any hike I have ever done....lol..... I will do the research and what I am getting at is mainly food considerations....
While the overall length and time involved makes it 'longer', it is easily broken down to a whole bunch of 3-5 day length overnighters...

As for food, typical breakfast items include:
Pop-tarts
oatmeal
energy bar
cereal bar
snack cakes
coffee/hot chocolate

Lun/Din items include:
ramen noodles (of course)
Snickers
Lipton Sides (or equivalent)
Snickers
mac-n-cheese
tuna packets
Snickers
chicken packets
pepperoni
cheese
beef jerky
peanut butter
Snickers (any kind of candy)
tortillas/bagels
trail mix
energy bar
drink mixes
etc, etc, etc

You'll figure out how to mix it up once out there...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

bigboots
12-10-2007, 21:18
Mountain Squid, although Snickers Satisfies, I prefer milky way because they way less.:-?
Actually I like snickers better.

Bigboots

hopefulhiker
12-10-2007, 23:30
I would look at nylon or synthetic clothing instead of cotton. They dry quicker.

What are using for water and purification? for next year I would consider a filter.

Water bottles, platypus,or water bag would be good too.

Blissful
12-11-2007, 00:19
You'll need some kind of outer layer like a jacket. Gloves, hat, balaclava too. One t-shirt is enough until summer. Pants? Suggest convertible nylon hiking pants.

wildcowboy238
12-11-2007, 15:57
Looking at all the advice here I have started to go over my gear list and once my list is to where I am hoping it will be I will lay all the gear out and take a picture before the hike and once I am done and get home I will use my journals and reasymble for the next hike and compare the pictures....

Panzer1
12-11-2007, 18:10
I plan to run the entire trek with a weight of 30 lbs or less....

If your going to run the whole 2,175 miles I would suggest that you run with a lot less than 30 pounds.

Panzer

Panzer1
12-11-2007, 18:22
Bear bag and 75' of cord

I use 25 feet of cord and never needed any more.

Panzer

wildcowboy238
12-11-2007, 18:39
correction... not running the trek...lol.... walking

scavenger
12-11-2007, 18:48
dont forget your rain gear and your pants :)

wildcowboy238
12-11-2007, 18:56
lol....thought I would just wing it....lol.... yes I will bring the rain gear and pants...

cbserafin7
12-12-2007, 15:27
Hi All,
Have you heard of powdered peanut butter? I just got some and it is fantastic. It is by Bell Plantation in Tifton, Georgia - just 2 tablespoons of the powere and wala. The directions are given to make peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Check it out.
Call: PB2
Let me know if you like it too?

BigStu
12-12-2007, 18:46
Thinking of getting an MSR Sweetwater

Anyone used one ? - would you recommend it ?

Grammar Coach
12-12-2007, 19:05
If your going to run the whole 2,175 miles I would suggest that you run with a lot less than 30 pounds.

Panzer

you're (as in "you are")...not your (possessive)

JAK
12-12-2007, 19:18
I will just comment on the big issues:
1. 30 pound skin out weight including food and water is a good target.
2. 3.6# Backpack - good volume but could lose a pound or two.
3. 3.0# Sleeping Bag - choice depends on rest of system.
4. Clothing - This is where I think you need the most work.

Start wearing wool. Always. 8oz in summer. Heavy over that in winter. Start wearing shorts, even in winter. Look for some cheap light nylon jacket and pants, 5oz each for $15 a piece and when you do drop to the ground and thank Jesus.

Jack Tarlin
12-12-2007, 19:21
Wear wool, always? :-?

Orther than maybe a hat, or having blended materials in their socks, most thru-hikers don't have ANYTHING made out of wool.

And 15 bucks for a nylon jacket or wind pants isn't going to get you anything very durable.

Route Step
12-13-2007, 18:13
I did pack a Pendleton wool shirt. I started in mid March at Springer. It was pretty heavy - collar, pocket, buttons, long tail. I generally wore it in camp, but sometimes it was cold enough to wear while hiking.

JAK
12-13-2007, 18:20

Orther than maybe a hat, or having blended materials in their socks, most thru-hikers don't have ANYTHING made out of wool.

And 15 bucks for a nylon jacket or wind pants isn't going to get you anything very durable.Nylon is very durable.

JAK
12-13-2007, 18:22
Wool is wonderful.

Lilred
12-13-2007, 18:29
Check out trailjournals.com. You'll find many thru-hikers have listed thier gear and you can see what they've taken, what has worked for them and what hasn't. It's a good place to start.

Nyati40
12-13-2007, 19:32
I suggest staying away from cotton anything and cut back on the clothes a bit. Three pairs of socks are great, hang the wet pair (after washing them)on the outside of your pack and have one in reserve. I'm big on those little
alcohol stoves, used heet fuel treatment last time and it worked perfect. Also recommend leaving tennis shoes at home and going with a crocks type slip on(take off the back strap for weight). Tyvex house wrap is the best tarp material for using for a groundcloth or as a shelter, it's very light and tuff. Frogg Togg raingear is certainly nice but keep it away from fire, it'll melt easy. I also recommend one of those huge zip locks for a liner for your backpack they work fantastic for keeping stuff dry and you can pull everything out of your pack when you stop for the night allowing you to keep your pack open so the mice can scurry in and out without boring a hole. Just some tips that I hope will help.

wildcowboy238
12-15-2007, 14:52
sorry I haven't been shecking up on my thread like I should been hiking near Mt Limon....
I am so glad that I found a place where the people actually help you out.... I do thank you all alot....need to look up the beer can alcohol stove and how to build one.....

SMOOTHGINGER
12-15-2007, 15:51
Ditch at least 3 pairs of socks, 2 t shirts, must go is the two sweat shirts... , switch tennis shoes for crocs, dont need the compass and I had some maps in areas like MT. Rogers, that have alot of side trials. But if your gonna stay on the AT you dont need a map.

Lone Wolf
12-15-2007, 17:09
But if your gonna stay on the AT you dont need a map.

ALWAYS carry a map for the section you're hiking. In an emergency a map will show you the quickest way to a road and help

Kirby
12-15-2007, 17:21
ALWAYS carry a map for the section you're hiking. In an emergency a map will show you the quickest way to a road and help

Seconded, it seems silly and irrational to not carry maps.

Kirby

Panzer1
12-15-2007, 17:30
I carry a little carabiner compass that only weights 6 tenths of an ounce. It attaches to a "D" ring on my pack and I can always see it without taking it off. I think its worth the weight.

Panzer
(been known to walk in the wrong direction)

River Runner
12-16-2007, 20:46
LOL.

He's not going to need much of anything seeing as how he plans to speed hike (yellow blaze anyone?) in just 30 days. He can just plan on staying in a hostel every night & just take water & a few snacks. LOL

Cuffs
12-16-2007, 21:08
I was just about to say the same thing...

March NOBO... means cold weather gear...means heavy.

If he'll be arriving in Maine as soon as he thinks he will (April), why not start later and just go with warm weather gear... lots lighter...

dessertrat
12-16-2007, 21:38
Yeah, at that speed, you really don't need to plan on camping out. There's always somewhere to stop for the night without needing a tent or sleeping bag, even if it means squeezing in an extra 10 or 20 miles that day. (Making one 80 or 90 mile day-- so what-- just take it easy the next day and do 50 or 60).

Montego
12-16-2007, 21:52
As I see it, he'll be going so fast, the friction alone will keep him warm - no tent, hammock, tarp, rain gear needed LOL :D

Appalachian Tater
12-16-2007, 22:46
Dude, don't forget your lithium.

bmike
12-16-2007, 23:12
sorry I haven't been shecking up on my thread like I should been hiking near Mt Limon....
I am so glad that I found a place where the people actually help you out.... I do thank you all alot....need to look up the beer can alcohol stove and how to build one.....

jet boil.
you can hold it while moving while it is cooking. boiling water for dinner as you finish up the last 2-3 miles for the day. make your breakfast while moving... have tea while moving. alky stove will be way to slow for you.

and make sure the ignition works on the jetboil. no time to be screwing with matches or a lighter.

River Runner
12-16-2007, 23:15
jet boil.
you can hold it while moving while it is cooking. boiling water for dinner as you finish up the last 2-3 miles for the day. make your breakfast while moving... have tea while moving. alky stove will be way to slow for you.

and make sure the ignition works on the jetboil. no time to be screwing with matches or a lighter.

Great advice for the cowboy there. LMAO while ROFL! Yee-haw!

bmike
12-16-2007, 23:16

And 15 bucks for a nylon jacket or wind pants isn't going to get you anything very durable.

switching over to all wool all the time for my cycling kit.
way warmer and more comfortable over a range of temps and water (rain, fog, etc.) conditions.

not sure how it translates to hiking - but it should be about the same.
i'm partial to ibex, but smartwool makes some nice stuff too. doesn't hold the stink like syntehtics... keeps you warm in the wet, even when you are generating the wet...

bmike
12-16-2007, 23:18
I would look at nylon or synthetic clothing instead of cotton. They dry quicker.

wool, and wool blends. don't hold the stank. keep you warmer in the wet, over a wider range of temps.

mkmangold
12-17-2007, 00:17
I wore bamboo today and it was great. Warm and didn't make my skin itch. Also is naturally antibacterial so I don't stink as bad as usual.

Mississippi
12-17-2007, 00:21
Borrow some feathers from your ostrich.

mkmangold
12-17-2007, 00:46
It's an emu.

River Runner
12-17-2007, 01:03
Borrow some feathers from your ostrich.

Glad I hadn't just taken a sip of soda when I read that one! We need a spew alert smilie around here. :D

weary
12-17-2007, 01:42
I will be NoBo and starting in march... I will be testing my gear in the mountains out here... I live in Tucson AZ and the mountains get quite cold and here lately there has been snow up in the mountains... but still trying to figure out a good way to get to springer from here....
A March start is further evidence that you have not seriously thought out this venture. If you are successful you will have the handicap of some snow and ice in Georgia and North Carolina and if you manage to overcome that challenge, you will find snow, ice and late winter conditions among the high peaks of Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. And you will arrive at Baxter State Park a month before the park opens on May 15, the first possible date for ending your walk on Katahdin.

Assuming a mid-March start, you are likely to find three feet of snow blocking the trail on the north slopes of Maine mountains -- hardly conducive for 75-mile days.

You will also face raging rivers and streams to cross in the northern states, especially in Maine which has almost no bridge crossings, again not conducive for a speed hike.

Weary

River Runner
12-17-2007, 01:47
A March start is further evidence that you have not seriously thought out this venture. If you are successful you will have the handicap of some snow and ice in Georgia and North Carolina and if you manage to overcome that challenge, you will find snow, ice and winter conditions among the high peaks of Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. And you will arrive at Baxter State Park a month before the park opens for climbing Katahdin.

Assuming a mid-March start, you are likely to find three feet of snow blocking the trail on the north slopes of Maine mountains -- hardly conducive for 75-mile days.

You will also face raging rivers and streams to cross in the northern states, especially in Maine which has almost no bridge crossings, again not conducive for a speed hike.

Weary

He postponed his planned start date till May 1 when he decided to do the whole sheebang in 30 days.

Of course he may still well need that warmer gear when he gets farther north. Then again, considering the probability of need for evacuation when injured speed hiking down blood, maybe not. :rolleyes:

River Runner
12-17-2007, 01:52

Weary

Then again, he can just use the hot air he is full of to float over the raging rivers like a balloon. :D

kayak karl
12-17-2007, 02:22
And you will arrive at Baxter State Park a month before the park opens on May 15, the first possible date for ending your walk on Katahdin. Weary
I thought Baxter openned June 1st. Am I wrong?

Christopher Robin
12-17-2007, 18:17
You are right, unless the condition still bad & it mybe a few days latter.

Lone Wolf
12-17-2007, 18:19

May 15th.

bullseye
12-17-2007, 18:37
May 15th.

Like it matters. he won't be there until June 1st anyway:rolleyes: .