PDA

View Full Version : Best Section to Hike, if limited by time

dab1990
12-10-2007, 20:09
I went on a small section or the A.T. last summer in north carolina. I really enjoyed it and i would like to do a thru hike. The only problem is i am still in high school and i only have the summer to Hike.

My question is: What would be the best area or section to hike on a limited time scedual? 1/2 of the AT... or certain states? any sugestions you might have please let me know.
-Derrick

Lone Wolf
12-10-2007, 20:23
if i were you, as soon as school got out i'd go to Harpers Ferry, W. Va. and hike north till you had to get off and go back to school.

Jack Tarlin
12-10-2007, 20:24
You have all sorts of options.

You could start in Harpers Ferry WV when school gets out, and proceed North with the Northbound thru-hikers. You could certainly get from Harpers to Katahdin in three months, and you'd have great company.

Later on, you can decide when and if you want to do the Southern half.

Likewise, if you'd prefer less crowding, start in Georgia when school gets out, and head North to Harpers.

But there is no "best" section to hike. You could ask 10 former thru-hikers and get 10 different answers.

(You could also do a bunch of smaller sections in different places, but then you'll have to deal with the logistics of getting from section to section. Your logistical problems (and expenses) will be less if you decide on one big chunk of the Trail and go straight thru without jumping around).

Tin Man
12-10-2007, 20:28
You could take a look at starting in CT and heading North. The AT in New England is nicer than PA, NJ and NY, IMO.

A-Train
12-10-2007, 21:12
If you're 17, I'm assuming you'll have a high school summer off (July and August). If it were me, I'd either head to Katahdin and hike south, hiking thru Maine and getting atleast thru the Whites of NH, or I'd start somewhere in VT or Hanover, NH and hike North.

July is a fantastic time to be in Maine; the temps are generally cool/warm and pleasant, lots of sunshine, and not too many people. You'll certainly have some company (early NOBO's, some SOBO's) but you won't be bombarded with hoards of thru-hikers. Frankly I wouldn't wanna start a hike in West Virginia in late june/early July, but I also dislike hot, humid weather, boring scenary, lack of water, rocks and crowded shelters.

bigboots
12-10-2007, 21:27
If I were you, (of course I am not so you have to decide) I would figure out how far I would reallisticly be able to hike in the allotted ammount of time and then chose a section that fits the bill. Also like mentioned above, take into account where you want to be in relation to the crowds.

Kirby (on Whiteblaze) is also in high school and got some sort of a variance from his school that he would do a report or something to be able to hike the whole thing at once. You might want to talk to him about feesable options, he seems to be on the ball with his stuff.

Bigboots

bigboots
12-10-2007, 21:29
Oh yea...Welcome to Whiteblaze!:welcome

Bigboots

Kirby
12-10-2007, 21:31
Feel free to send me a PM if you would like more information about how I made it work for me.

Kirby

Lilred
12-10-2007, 22:14
Logistically, it would be simpler to just start at Springer and hike north until you ran out of time. Then, the following summer, you just pick up where you left off and keep on going till you finish. I teach, and this is what I've been doing with my summers for the last 3 years. I don't go out for the whole summer, but I'm still covering ground little by little.

Tinker
12-10-2007, 22:46
If you're 17, I'm assuming you'll have a high school summer off (July and August). If it were me, I'd either head to Katahdin and hike south, hiking thru Maine and getting atleast thru the Whites of NH, or I'd start somewhere in VT or Hanover, NH and hike North.

July is a fantastic time to be in Maine; the temps are generally cool/warm and pleasant, lots of sunshine, and not too many people. You'll certainly have some company (early NOBO's, some SOBO's) but you won't be bombarded with hoards of thru-hikers. Frankly I wouldn't wanna start a hike in West Virginia in late june/early July, but I also dislike hot, humid weather, boring scenary, lack of water, rocks and crowded shelters.

I agree with A-Train as far as hiking in the summer. You won't want to be in the south in that heat. There may be a few blackflies left over if you start at Katahdin and head south, however. Also, if you're not a seasoned hiker, the 100 mile wilderness is probably not the place to "cut your teeth". It's not as inaccessible as it used to be, but it isn't crossed by any major (non logging) roads. I'd start at the NH border and hike north, or if you hike faster or want to skip the 100 mile wilderness altogether, start at the Ma./Vt. border and hike north.
If you like to swim, you shouldn't miss Maine!

Summit
12-11-2007, 08:12
Seems like those up North are recommended the north end while it would seem natural for those of us from the South to recommend the southern part. I would have to agree, however, with A-Train and Tinker. Head for the cool of Maine. The later part of June, July and August are hot and humid in N. Georgia , NC, and VA. Sometimes even the nights can be clammy and miserable. It's a far longer commute from FL to Maine, but head north young man! ;)

dab1990
12-11-2007, 08:42
well it seems like the north is more recomended but i think i might start in GA when school gets out, because i could get droped off there. Then I would only have to pay for a one way plane ticket back once i get to West Va. although i supose it could work either way if i started at the halfway point.

well im used to the southern heat anyways, and if i start in GA i will be up in at least NC in the hottest part of the summer, right?

nitewalker
12-11-2007, 08:51
well it seems like the north is more recomended but i think i might start in GA when school gets out, because i could get droped off there. Then I would only have to pay for a one way plane ticket back once i get to West Va. although i supose it could work either way if i started at the halfway point.

well im used to the southern heat anyways, and if i start in GA i will be up in at least NC in the hottest part of the summer, right?

nice call!! i was going to suggest starting at the halfway point and hike south to springer or even further south if time allows.. it is nice to hike in the direction of your home base. i think it keeps you stronger mentally.

peace, nitewalker

Flush2wice
12-11-2007, 09:06

All good suggestions above. FWIW, it's just as hot on the AT in PA, NJ, NY in July and August as it is in NC, TN, VA.
What exactly is your time frame?

Deerleg
12-11-2007, 09:10
Man if you could, Maine sounds great, but what you’re planning is doable. I’ve taken several summer hikes in the south and while there may be some hot sticky days, there will also be nice stretches along ridges that are relatively cool compared to the lower elevations. One thing you will run into for certain though is afternoon thunderstorms. Be smart, and be prepared for a variety of weather and trail conditions. If the drought continues this spring it’s likely you will have to plan carefully for a summer hike. I just walked thru all of NC in October and there were stretches as long as 20 miles with no running springs. Good luck and have fun!

hopefulhiker
12-11-2007, 09:19
I have to agree that if I was in good shape I would do the northern part of the AT. It is tougher than the southern part but I think overall very rewarding..

earlyriser26
12-11-2007, 09:56
Most High school students get 2 1/2 months off or about 75 days. Given that you will be hiking in the heart of the Summer I would hike the northern portion of the trail. If you started with Conn. you would have about 730+ miles to Kathdin. Maine will be fairly dry by the time you get there and the bugs will have gotten a little better. You can easily do 730 miles in 75 days. Good luck.

maxNcathy
12-11-2007, 10:46
Unless you are a loner type,start at the mid point and head south...you will meet many hikers to visit with on the trail and at the shelters as they head north...if you meet a very sweet hiker chic heading north then turn around and head north to keep her company...when Sept comes along if you are still having a blast phone the school and grant them your permission to start without you.

Summit
12-11-2007, 13:35
Unless you are a loner type,start at the mid point and head south...you will meet many hikers to visit with on the trail and at the shelters as they head north...if you meet a very sweet hiker chic heading north then turn around and head north to keep her company...when Sept comes along if you are still having a blast phone the school and grant them your permission to start without you.Now, now . . . don't go puttin' ideas in the young man's head! :D :p Great advice BTW! :D

Lilred
12-11-2007, 22:19
I have hiked the southern AT in June and July, and being in the higher elevations, the heat is not that bad. Every year I leave Nashville around the first of June in sweltering heat, thinking I'm going to have a time with heat and bugs on the trail, and every time, the heat and bugs just aren't an issue at all. As a matter of fact, every year I leave thinking my 20 degree bag will be way too warm, and every year I find I'm glad I have it.

Pedaling Fool
12-11-2007, 22:37
Georgia to Harpers Ferry, WV. (or as far as you can get). For summer hiking I think the bugs are actually worse in the north.

rafe
12-11-2007, 23:03
I'd vote for the northern half of the trail, and for Maine and New Hampshire in particular. But if you have ideas of doing the whole trail eventually, that's a bit like eating dessert first.

Tin Man
12-11-2007, 23:36
I'd vote for the northern half of the trail, and for Maine and New Hampshire in particular. But if you have ideas of doing the whole trail eventually, that's a bit like eating dessert first.

True. And MA and VT are not bad appetizers.