PDA

View Full Version : Transcribing journals

Kirby
12-10-2007, 20:29
I am having a tough time finding someone on the home front to type my journal for me, everyone I have asked, including family, has said that they feel they would not have the time required to do so. I am curious what people have done to solve this type of problem. Please don't say "just don't keep a journal", my school is requiring I do so.

Thanks,
Kirby

buckowens
12-10-2007, 20:31
Kirby, see if someone here would be willing to take on the task. You won't get any better experience, and some may be willing to invest the time. Make sure you feel each other out prior to your leaving, and that the person you pick is reliable. One less thing for you to worry about on the trail. Good luck.

Appalachian Tater
12-10-2007, 20:33
my school is requiring I do so.

Thanks,
Kirby

Then surely your Principal has administrative support, i.e., a secretary.

Logically, you have to either do it yourself, which is possible, or have someone else do it, which is preferable. If no one will do it out of love, then perhaps someone will do it for money. One or the other or a combination usually can get just about anything done.

mudhead
12-10-2007, 20:37
Find some little old lady that needs her drive/steps shoveled.

Barter. Be upfront about her time.

Jack Tarlin
12-10-2007, 20:39
Um, Tater, I have family members who are school administrators.

It is definitely NOT the school secretary's job to do this!

Another possibility, Kirby, is to keep your journal entries short and to the point, and update your diary yourself. You'll have Internet access more often than you think.

Updating it yourself has several advantages:

*You won't have to stick the job on a friend or family member
*You won't have to pay anyone to do it
*Your entries will be shorter, and inevitably, better. Most Trailjournals are
rambling and dull, with half a page on what you had for breakfast or the
state of your digestion, etc. Keep things short and sweet.
*Most hikers spend too much time on their journals. Keeping it short and
sweet will free you up to do other things.....explore side trails, hang with
other hikers, swim, sleep, read, you name it. The ammount of time some
people spend on their diaries is ridiculous and ultimately detracts from
their trip.

And lastly......in addition to your "public" journal, keep a private personal one. In years to come, it'll be one of your most prized possessions.

Appalachian Tater
12-10-2007, 20:41
Um, Tater, I have family members who are school administrators.

It is definitely NOT the school secretary's job to do this!

Sometimes humor is not presented by a dancing banana.

Lone Wolf
12-10-2007, 20:42
Sometimes humor is not presented by a dancing banana.

humor is something you don't possess

Survivor Dave
12-10-2007, 20:48
Kirbs,

Trail Journals offers a list of folks that volunteer to do them. There are several Thru-Hikers that are wanting to give back to the Trail what has freely been given to them. Must be around 40 folks or so. I think you have to log in and go to Admin or something. If you have trouble, PM me and I'll find it.

OK, if you sign in, towards the top of the Admin page it says Quick Links. Click on find a transcriber and it'll take you to it.

SD

A-Train
12-10-2007, 20:58
Why not invest in a pocketmail? Only 8 ounces and you can type all the entries in camp each night. Then all someone has to do is cut and paste. I did this for the famous Easyhiker in 02', not much work for a transcriber

Kirby
12-10-2007, 21:25
Why not invest in a pocketmail? Only 8 ounces and you can type all the entries in camp each night. Then all someone has to do is cut and paste. I did this for the famous Easyhiker in 02', not much work for a transcriber

Any models you sugguest over others? This sounds like a decent idea.

Kirby

bigboots
12-10-2007, 21:52
Sounds like another thing to have to worry about breaking or needing recharged along the trail.

Bigboots

Jan LiteShoe
12-10-2007, 21:57
Any models you sugguest over others? This sounds like a decent idea.

Kirby

The Composer is the standard model - check ebay or mention that you are looking for one.

Someone would have to love you alot alot alot to transcribe your written pages for six months. Cut and paste is easy.
:)

Blissful
12-10-2007, 23:58
You can do a personal written journal then update at towns and hostels via the Internet, which are frequent. That's what I did. No one did mine for me.

doggiebag
12-11-2007, 00:07
You can do a personal written journal then update at towns and hostels via the Internet, which are frequent. That's what I did. No one did mine for me.
Same here. No problems with relying on anyone else, it's not a big chore and I found it to be quite enjoyable.

warraghiyagey
12-11-2007, 00:15
There's numerous place along the trail that have internet access available to hikers including some hostels and many public libraries. That's certainly some of the best time invested in town/resupply stops.
Also gives you a chance to edit or expand on your written thoughts. You might give heavier consideration to taking care of this bit of your business yourself.
Peace

A-Train
12-11-2007, 00:28
Not saying it's not possible to update from trail towns, but realize how inconsiderate this may become for other hikers. Many hostels, outfitters, people's homes, small libraries, etc. only have one or two computers. Hogging it to type up your tennessee journal entries in harpers ferry might not sit well with the 9 other hikers waiting to hop on and check their email. Just something to consider:sun

warraghiyagey
12-11-2007, 00:37
Not saying it's not possible to update from trail towns, but realize how inconsiderate this may become for other hikers. Many hostels, outfitters, people's homes, small libraries, etc. only have one or two computers. Hogging it to type up your tennessee journal entries in harpers ferry might not sit well with the 9 other hikers waiting to hop on and check their email. Just something to consider:sun
Sorry, I'm accustomed to SOBO life and crowds at the internet are not what they are for NOBOs. Also, we've always been quite considerate of our fellow hikers and other folks in general. I've never had trouble getting time to type even if it meant returning later in the day. Didn't mean any harm.

A-Train
12-11-2007, 10:56
Sorry, I'm accustomed to SOBO life and crowds at the internet are not what they are for NOBOs. Also, we've always been quite considerate of our fellow hikers and other folks in general. I've never had trouble getting time to type even if it meant returning later in the day. Didn't mean any harm.

No worries. Wasn't judging you or any single person. Just a reminder to fellow future hikers to think a bit before choosing this option, as i've seen it before: one or two hikers so devoted to their journals that everyone else is sisting there impatiently, getting more and more pissed at the journaler

warraghiyagey
12-11-2007, 11:01
No worries. Wasn't judging you or any single person. Just a reminder to fellow future hikers to think a bit before choosing this option, as i've seen it before: one or two hikers so devoted to their journals that everyone else is sisting there impatiently, getting more and more pissed at the journaler
I've never encountered that situation with SOBOs. Generally a respectful and caring lot.

doggiebag
12-11-2007, 11:08
I've never encountered that situation with SOBOs. Generally a respectful and caring lot.
Most libraries have a half hour time limit that they strictly enforce. I've never encountered that either NOBO.

JAK
12-11-2007, 11:42
I strongly suggest that a journal, because of its nature, is something that you should maintain yourself. Ideally, it should be hand written, in the field, on a daily basis. Otherwise it is not a journal, it is a trip report. I am not just saying this for your benefit, to give you more work or to make you a better writer or whatever. You are already a good writer, and you are certainly not lazy. I just think a journal is a journal is a journal, and it will be a better journal if it is hand written and maintained on a daily basis. If you don't want to write it by hand, then I would suggest an e-journal that you write yourself. I still think there is something lost in the medium, but it is pretty exciting for people to read your trial journal as you are walking it. However, as we are going deeper and deeper into this discretized digital age, you might be one of the last people to write a 'real' journal, written only for yourself, and for posterity of course. I strongly suggest you consider doing so. If you wish you can maintain contact with us by some other means, but that is not the same as a journal. A journal that is critiqued and edited by everyone as you are writing it is not a journal. Make us wait and read your journal when you are finished, or famous, or both. As for transcribing it when you are done. I would scan that sucker. I would rather read an electronic image of the original handwriting anyways. If you decide to write a book or a trip report or something, that is a different adventure. It does not have to be the same journal word for word. You can even bend the truth a little if it makes for a better story. We all do.

I suggest some good old hardcover notebook. Ask your school for some old journals to look over. They might have some in their library. If not, check your local library, or perhaps your father's or grandfather's. Cheers.

JAK
12-11-2007, 11:47
I maintain my journal the old fashioned way. Memory. :D

Pockets
12-11-2007, 11:49
Use Pocketmail and use their journal site... no need to cut and paste
Just type and send

warraghiyagey
12-11-2007, 12:20
Most libraries have a half hour time limit that they strictly enforce. I've never encountered that either NOBO.
Good point. The time limit is pretty well advertised whereever there is one and the hikers I've met headed either direction were respectful of it.
And a half hour is a pretty decent amount of time to transcribe a couple weeks worth of journal. If not, I've always gone back later to finish.

smaaax
12-12-2007, 11:24
Use Pocketmail and use their journal site... no need to cut and paste
Just type and send

Pocketmail doesn't support all networks (no CDMA support). Verizon only uses CDMA, so you are out of luck if you have them. Don't know about any others.

DuctTape
12-12-2007, 19:15
another vote for pocketmail if you can afford it
www.pocketmail.com (http://www.pocketmail.com)

you can cut and paste at libraries, etc. and some sites are even rigged so you can post your journal directly through email.

Butterflymoon
01-19-2008, 10:54
kirbs...
I used the pocketmail system in 05' and found it to be very useful. It's really easy for your transcriber, and it does keep computer time to a min in town. I also liked being able to receive e-mails from family and then read them a few nights out from town to boost sprits. I could also enjoyed writing letters to friends at the end of a days hike. You do have to pay for the service, but you are paying for convenience.

Namaste

The Scribe
01-19-2008, 11:28
Kirby

I sent you a PM about this. Still need someone?