PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol Stove Reliablility in Winter

Anumber1
12-10-2007, 23:06
Typically, how well do alcohol stoves work in freezing temps?

I have never used mine when temps were colder than 40*, and although I intend to do some test runs before I commit to any stove this winter, I would like to hear your experiences/opinions of the reliability of alcohol stoves in winter.

Dances with Mice
12-10-2007, 23:09
Typically, how well do alcohol stoves work in freezing temps?Well enough that every musher in the Iditarod sled dog race across Alaska uses them.

Survivor Dave
12-10-2007, 23:20
Haven't had an issue yet. I boil 500 ml of water in under 5 minutes at 25-30 degrees. 2 Tablespoons of fuel, maybe 3.

SD

Footslogger
12-10-2007, 23:23
Typically, how well do alcohol stoves work in freezing temps?

I have never used mine when temps were colder than 40*, and although I intend to do some test runs before I commit to any stove this winter, I would like to hear your experiences/opinions of the reliability of alcohol stoves in winter.

================================================

Can't speak for all alcohol stoves ...but I regularly hike/camp with my Trangia burner during the winter in Wyoming at temps WAY below freezing. The Trangia has never failed to light and boil water for my meal. I keep the Trangia inside my cookpot, wrapped in a bandana and my alcohol is kept in a plastic booze flask. While hiking the flask is in the outer pouch of my pack but over night I pull it inside the tent and keep it in my sleeping bag.

'Slogger

Wonder
12-11-2007, 01:01
my can stove has never let me down.....just uses a very little bit more fuel when it's cold

Peaks
12-11-2007, 10:07
If it's below about 20 degrees, you need to preheat the alcohol in order for it to light. Doesn't vaporize below about 20 degrees.

Doctari
12-11-2007, 10:53
At the 07 Mt Rogers hang out @ the Wise shelter about half of us had alcohol stoves, none reported any problems. Temps both nights got to 5 degrees, & it never got above about 30 all weekend. Mine lit right up: I filled the stove, held it in my hand for about 30 seconds then lit it (after setting it on the ground natch). Sunday AM I didn't even pre-heat the stove for breakfast, lit just fine, & there is a pic somewhere on hammock forums of my tarp that AM covered in ice.

Marta
12-11-2007, 11:04
Is it possible that people who've had trouble with lighting their stoves in cold weather have alcohol that has a higher percentage of water in it? Or that it's isopropyl or something besides methanol?

take-a-knee
12-11-2007, 11:38
Is it possible that people who've had trouble with lighting their stoves in cold weather have alcohol that has a higher percentage of water in it? Or that it's isopropyl or something besides methanol?

MIght be the case, any alcohol is hydrophillic, it soaks up moisture from the humidity in the air unless it is very tightly sealed. I used to buy the quart cans of methanol at Lowes, I now buy the 12 oz bottles of HEET at Walmart, the HEET website says they are good indefinetely as long as the cap seal is intact. I had a lot of trouble last winter using alcohol a couple of times, I finally figured out it was my windscreen ( too small of a gap around the pot)

Marta
12-11-2007, 11:44
MIght be the case, any alcohol is hydrophillic, it soaks up moisture from the humidity in the air unless it is very tightly sealed.

Very good point. I had noticed that it is easier to light "new" alcohol, for instance, from a newly-purchased bottle of HEET.

jlb2012
12-11-2007, 11:53
If it's below about 20 degrees, you need to preheat the alcohol in order for it to light. Doesn't vaporize below about 20 degrees.

Depends on your technique and stove type - a relatively open alcohol stove burner can be lite in the cold without prewarming the fuel by touching a burning match to the surface of the alcohol - this fairly quickly locally heats the alcohol and vaporizes enough to get the burn to be self sustaining - it will however be a low flame for a bit until the liquid alcohol warms up.

wrt to the temps - alcohol doesn't vaporize well below 40 deg F.

Marta
12-11-2007, 11:59
Depends on your technique and stove type - a relatively open alcohol stove burner can be lite in the cold without prewarming the fuel by touching a burning match to the surface of the alcohol...

This is what I do--just toss the lit match into the stove. It has always worked so far. I'm glad to have an explanation of why. Thanks!

taildragger
12-11-2007, 12:06
Are you guys using a pressurized stove at all in the winter (like a supercat).

I'm just wondering how long I'm gonna have to let things heat up before I can set my pot on the stove.

sweetpeastu
12-11-2007, 12:41
I bought one of Zelphs Starylyte stoves and used it in 20 some degree weather and snow. It was my first time using it on an actual trip too...and it worked great with no problems and boiled water pretty quickly. I was actually surprised at how quickly it boiled my water in that kinda cold. I love the burner Zelph made :)

sweetpeastu
12-11-2007, 12:44
what sorta container should you be using for denatured alcohol? For lack of anything better to use, I've been using a 16oz old water bottle that I filled with about 8 oz. of denatured alcohol--marked in red over grey tape "DENATURED ALCOHOL" so as not to have anyone mistake it for water.

I'm assuming this is ok for a trip or so..but should I be concerned about leaving denatured alcohol in a plastic bottle for any lenght of time--and if so, how long is safe?

thanks.

Bob S
12-11-2007, 13:19
With my Trangia I keep it warm by putting it in an inside pocket. Also I sometimes poor a little extra alcohol all over the burner and light it to get it heated up faster. This really cuts down on the time to get the fuel to boil.

Fiddleback
12-11-2007, 13:24
what sorta container should you be using for denatured alcohol? For lack of anything better to use, I've been using a 16oz old water bottle that I filled with about 8 oz. of denatured alcohol--marked in red over grey tape "DENATURED ALCOHOL" so as not to have anyone mistake it for water.

I'm assuming this is ok for a trip or so..but should I be concerned about leaving denatured alcohol in a plastic bottle for any lenght of time--and if so, how long is safe?

thanks.

I really like recycled contact lens solution bottles. Common sizes are 3.5, 4 and 8 oz and all come with a nozzle that makes fine pouring easy. The nozzles are removable for easy filling. Most have very secure caps (many are screw on) and the bottles themselves are almost indestructible...almost on the same level as HEET bottles.

As far as alcohol and plastic...I've stored alky in one of the contact lens bottles for over a year and have not noticed a problem. Hardly scientific but my experience anyhow. And don't forget...the HEET bottles are plastic based and it causes no problems with that alky.

FB

take-a-knee
12-11-2007, 13:27

thanks.

Most everybody uses a water bottle for methanol, just make sure you dry it out completely first and that the lid seals tightly. Dasani sells little 10oz bottles of water that make a handy small alcohol bottle. If the alcohol has been in the bottle for months I might replace it before a trip. I use my alcohol stove to cook lunch sometime at home so I use up any open fuel.

taildragger
12-11-2007, 13:49
So, would it be best to store you alky in a freezer, would keep it drier, then again the safety issues with that might not be the greatest...

jlb2012
12-11-2007, 14:12
This is what I do--just toss the lit match into the stove. It has always worked so far. I'm glad to have an explanation of why. Thanks!

Well just tossing the match in generally works but I have had it fail - that is why I recommend touching the match to the surface of the alcohol - in the cold its possible to put a match out by dunking it in the alcohol and the alcohol not lighting - of course if the burner design is such that the match won't dunk all the way the go ahead and toss it in. Note an alternative to using a match is to use a twig or some pine straw dipped in the alcohol then lit with a lighter or some other flame source then used in the same manner as the match.

Bob S
12-11-2007, 14:58

thanks.

What I do is put a drop or two of food coloring into the denatured alcohol to give it a color to prevent it from being mistaken for any other liquid. It has no effect on the burning process. I also use lamp oil for a converted candle lantern I have, it’s clear just like alcohol, the color prevents problems.

Username75
12-11-2007, 17:08
This is My Ebay guide on Why to choose an alcohol stove
"
Alcohol as a fuel, and as a liquid evaporates
without flamible residue, or harmfull
residues.
Alcohol is indeed flamable, as are all stove
Fuels, if it were not flameable it could not be used in a cooking stove.
there are many Alcohol stoves, from the, trangia, to,soda pop Stoves listed on Ebay.
The main reason to choose one, is enviormentaly freindly, unlike white gas or Karosene., foolproof, and easy to use, no cannisters of propane to walk out. Most open top stoves, one Fills up to half way up, with denatured Alcohol, the light the Alcohol, that soon will blossom forth into a nice blue Flame. No explosions, Deadly fumes, or soot, like one Finds with Gasoline, Kerosene, butane, or propane. most are small best suited for a backpacking stove, the prefered stove for both Appalachian, and pacific Crest trails.
denatured Alcohol can be found at most paint stores, and wal mart, or Heet a fuel line deicer Alcohol at, most Automotive Stores.
one inovative ebay dealer surferchef makes a neet alcohol Stove for rubbing Alcohol, You fill the cup half way up and simly lite the Alcohol.
there is also the Pressurized closed stove,
like pinboy50, and maxxrondesigns sell that burns slightly faster than the open top Stove, to light you driblle a teaspoon of alcohol
on the top after you screw in the top, lite the alcohol which preheats the stove, and lites the alcohol sealed inside.
much closer to the Benzine gasoline stove, but not soot, and dirty pots.
For Mother Earth Alcohol is better for Her Beautifull Planet, but You must decide which type of Stove is Best, but Alcohol stoves, are usualy a cheaper foolproof Investment.
no Pumping and work at most altitudes, and weather conditions.
However,and the BIG however is that Alcohol stoves are rather finnicky at freezing tempratures.
Rule number 1 is below 40 degrees a winscreen is a MUST!, this can even be made out of aluminum foil folded into itself by 4 times, large enought to cover your stove and at least 1 side of your cooking pot or pan.
A windscreen is also a good Idea at any temprature.
read on.
this can be overcome,by cupping the stove with your hands for a couple of minutes, and placing on a small peice of fleece big enough only for the stove, felt works just as well.
one must be carefull not to burn the ground pad.
a freind burns the stove with paper , then when it cools down just a bit fills it and lites the stove, but this is too tricky for most.
cupping the stove works best with a ground pad, at freezing temps.
another thing I do is get a metal screw lid
from a glass jar slightly larger than my stove, I use a jar lid from a Pickle jar of
the famous V brand of Pickles.
I place this on a peice of felt of the same size
and dribble a half teaspoon of alcohol, inside the lid and lite this with my prefilled stove in it, then when the flames just about die out, lite my stove.
burning Alcohol is hard to see in direct sunlight, so shade your stove when lighting this way.
from 43 degrees upword alcohol stove can't be beat for their practicality.
NEVER try to relight a hot stove, this is a must.
many ebay Alcohol stove dealers and sellers
have a lot of information in their listings
pinboy50 even has a video listed in his that will show you how to build an alcohol stove.
Remember always use a Windscreen, AND
your cooking Combination of stove, and cookware has a whole lot to do with cooking time. aluminum cooks faster than
Steel, Titanium is faster than steel, and as
fast as Anodized Aluminum, cast Iron will make it very Slooow
so consider what you are asking of you're stove
Good Camping":-?
Sam

JimM
12-11-2007, 19:10
You can dip a small stick in your stove to wet the tip with alcohol, light it with a bic lighter and touch it to your stove. I don't remember who first posted this suggestion, but it has worked well for me, especially when its windy.
Jim

Marta
12-11-2007, 19:14
I guess I shouldn't have used the word "toss." What I actually do is to hold the match down near the surface for a moment, then drop it in. So there's probably some preheating effect, which is why it works.