PDA

View Full Version : 15,000

Cuffs
12-11-2007, 02:37
Just cruising thru WB stuff and I see today we reached 15,000 members!! Brushfire was the big 15K!

StarLyte
12-11-2007, 06:40
Time to celebrate!

Congratulations Whiteblaze.net :banana

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-13-2007, 10:25
:dance:dance:dance ..... Par-tay!..... :dance:dance :dance

kayak karl
12-13-2007, 12:44
are these donating members?

RadioFreq
12-13-2007, 13:09
Just cruising thru WB stuff and I see today we reached 15,000 members!! Brushfire was the big 15K!

Does he win a prize? :-?

Jack Tarlin
12-13-2007, 16:41
15,000?

That's pretty impressive!

Now if we could only get around 14,900 of them to start posting once in awhile, it could really get interesting around here! :D

highway
12-13-2007, 18:03

I vaguely recall wondering if we would hit 500 and 1,000 was almost unattainable. This site has come a long way, and is an enjoyment to so many, thanks to just a few hard workers

Excuse me for humorously paraphrasing Churchill after the Battle of Britain: "Never in the course of (...backpacking forums) have so many owed so much to so few".

Thanks very much

Sly
12-13-2007, 18:06
Seems inflated to me. I wonder how many actually frequent the site and how many are dual IDs? Like terrapin...

Mags
12-13-2007, 18:12
Nahh..I don't think it is too inflated. It is VERY easy to join a board and never do more than just join that one time.

In the outdoor group I am active with, we have 600 members. Of those perhaps 100 are active on some level with maybe 50-60 doing something once every 3 mos.

Sly
12-13-2007, 18:15
Nahh..I don't think it is too inflated. It is VERY easy to join a board and never do more than just join that one time.

That's what I mean by inflated. Join and then not frequent the site.

Cuffs
12-13-2007, 18:19
Easy to find... just look thru the members list and see all the "0" posts... theres lots of them...

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-13-2007, 18:24
I just checked 3,124 of the users have posted within the post year and roughly half of the members have never posted..... 3787 have joined this year. Seems we are a research site.

Jack Tarlin
12-13-2007, 18:28
Which is fine. Nobody's required to post. My comment above (Post#6) was a joke. Some people want to take part in the discussions, some choose not to. It's all good.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-13-2007, 18:33
Somebody note the time and date - JT & FD have agreed :D.

Seriously, many people come here as guest (never register). There are alway more guest than registered members here. Some decide to register, but never feel lead to post. As Jack says, BB posting isn't for everyone.

warraghiyagey
12-13-2007, 18:33
. . .Seems we are a research site.
That's how I found my way here. It was quite some time before I even read any of the threads and longer still before I posted.
Initially I just read the the articles (over and over as the writers di a great job with alot of info).
It wasn't until after my first trail experience that I actually posted I believe.
Nice work to all the folks that make the WB happen!!!!
:sun :sun :sun :sun

Christopher Robin
12-13-2007, 18:35
Thanks to a thur-hiker this year when I was scetion backpacking & enjoy every time I log on. Great posts, and intereasting subjects, & replys when having a guestion needed answered. Thanks for the fun

Montego
12-13-2007, 18:51
I think you'll find a lot of people that "lurk" simply because they don't feel that they have anything to contribute to "veteran" hikers and may feel "dumb" if they did contribute. Others may be here just to learn from the experience of others.

I tend to do a lot of research in the forums and almost always find the answers I'm looking for without having to ask a lot of questions that have usually been ask so many times before - but that's just me.

Though I have a fair amount of hiking experience, I haven't hiked the AT yet so I don't feel that I should post on threads that are AT specific (i.e. water situations, particular hostels, etc.), others may feel the same way.

And finally, sometimes it just takes some people a while to feel comfortable enough around "strangers" (especially if they know that they may eventually meet them on the trail) to post IMHO. :D

warraghiyagey
12-13-2007, 18:54
I think you'll find a lot of people that "lurk" simply because they don't feel that they have anything to contribute to "veteran" hikers and may feel "dumb" if they did contribute. Others may be here just to learn from the experience of others. . . :D
That is very much a part of what kept me from posting for so long after I joined.

Cuffs
12-13-2007, 19:11
And just to show... you never know whos reading/joining... read post #6!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30584

Pockets
12-13-2007, 19:23
I'm a fairly new member and I post very little... I'm on here daily and read almost everything. I've learned a lot but don't feel I need to post because I don't have much to add and I've not thru-hiked yet.

Lone Wolf
12-13-2007, 20:12
I'm a fairly new member and I post very little... I'm on here daily and read almost everything. I've learned a lot but don't feel I need to post because I don't have much to add and I've not thru-hiked yet.

feel free to give me hell. :D

warraghiyagey
12-13-2007, 20:15
:welcome and post away if it suits you.:)

Blissful
12-13-2007, 20:28
I think you'll find a lot of people that "lurk" simply because they don't feel that they have anything to contribute to "veteran" hikers and may feel "dumb" if they did contribute.

This happens a lot. More than once people have made comments but someone shuts them out because they were not a revered "thru" hiker. Or I guess now, if you haven't thru hiked mutiple times, you still don't know what you are talking about. Every person can contribute something valuable. Every person is valuable. A nugget of wisdom counts no matter what your credentials are or how small the nugget is - and it could be a golden nugget that helps out a fellow hiker.

Grandma
12-13-2007, 20:29
Same here. I just enjoy reading what people have to say. Guess I'm a stalker. SWEEET!

Blissful
12-13-2007, 20:29
:welcome and post away if it suits you.:)

Amen brother.

And sister.

Blissful
12-13-2007, 20:30
feel free to give me hell. :D

Wow what an invitation guys and gals!!! :D :banana

turtle fast
12-13-2007, 20:31
I too am relatively new to Whiteblaze....I am here almost every day too reading most of the posts. At first I felt that I needed to absorb more knowledge from our more experienced hikers here before I posted....but then I learned that sometimes the only way to learn is to participate and ask questions. (Just like grade school =)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-13-2007, 20:41
feel free to give me hell. :DWe do :D

River Runner
12-13-2007, 23:36

Last I looked, it was a site for Appalachian Trail Enthusiasts. No requirement to be a thru-hiker (or even to have ever hiked) to post. :)

Sly
12-14-2007, 02:08
Somebody note the time and date - JT & FD have agreed :D.

Seriously, many people come here as guest (never register). There are alway more guest than registered members here. Some decide to register, but never feel lead to post. As Jack says, BB posting isn't for everyone.

Most of your guest are Yahoo! Slurp Spiders. (http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showthread.php?t=16509) :eek:

Sly
12-14-2007, 02:28
So much for Slurp Spiders, I can hardly find Whiteblaze in Yahoo or Google. I searched Appalachian Trail, hiking, hiking gear, hiking forum. How's anyone find WB?

warraghiyagey
12-14-2007, 03:54
So much for Slurp Spiders, I can hardly find Whiteblaze in Yahoo or Google. I searched Appalachian Trail, hiking, hiking gear, hiking forum. How's anyone find WB?
Both Google and MSN show Whiteblaze near the top of page 2. That's how I found out about WB a couple years ago. It was quite easy.

ki0eh
12-14-2007, 09:39
And just to show... you never know whos reading/joining... read post #6!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30584

Always good to remember that on the Internet what you type may wind up in your FBI file, personnel records, the front page of your local newspaper, or even your mother's inbox! :)

A Google search on my real name turns up Usenet postings I made in 1989. :eek:

Pony
12-14-2007, 12:32
I'm pretty new to WB and pretty inexperienced when it comes to backpacking. Most of the time when I think of a question to ask, someone has already beat me to it, so most of my time on here is indeed research. That being said, I decided a few months ago that I wanted to hike the AT (As of now,I have never set foot on it, to my knowledge), and since then I have been glued to this web site. After countless hours of reading on here, I feel much better about my plan. A few months ago I was fairly clueless. Now I feel that I have a pretty firm grasp on the things I will need to do and know in order to hike the AT. So I don't post often because I don't need to. Anyway, thanks everyone for helping me learn all of this invaluable information.

Hooch
12-14-2007, 12:36
For what it's worth, HammockForums (http://www.hammockforums.net) just got its 1000th member last night. :banana