PDA

View Full Version : Tp

The Solemates
12-12-2003, 12:57
Let's try to keep this clean...but was just wondering how much toilet paper I should plan on putting in each maildrop.

I have saved up a bunch of half rolls and was planning on using these, but I am not sure if this is enough, especially since it will be two of us. I tried keeping tabs on how much I use at home, but the problem there is I am never home. I use public restrooms at work and school 75% of the time.

Personally, I'd rather be safe than sorry, but at the same time I do not want to carry any more than necessary. I've used my share of leaves and don't really care for that. My maildrops are anywhere from 3-8 days apart from one another. Any help?

RagingHampster
12-12-2003, 13:16
I'm terrible with my TP use. I carry almost a whole roll for 7 days :o

That is my one true trail-sin.

Rain Man
12-12-2003, 13:21
Let's try to keep this clean...but was just wondering how much toilet paper I should plan on putting in each maildrop..... Any help?

Hmmmm... I can't advise just how much TP to put in a maildrop, but I will remind you that Nature provides its own TP for your handy use on many spots. So, you could keep your man-made stuff for, er, backup? (how many bad puns do you see?! LOL)

Rain Man

gravityman
12-12-2003, 14:13
We just carried whole rolls. Not something that we wanted to screw up on. On a funny side note, my brother started with us and forgot his. But we "didn't have a square to spare" :) There are plenty of places to get it along the trail. Just don't poach it from public bathrooms. That's bad form.

Also, as was mention in another thread, wet wipes help keep down on the amount of toilet paper you use. As well as keeping you from wiping yourself raw.

Gravity Man

chris
12-12-2003, 14:31
Why not just use a bounce box and put a roll of TP in it? Start with what you think is enough. Mail the bounce box 10 days or so up the trail. When you get up to the bounce box, take some more out. Better yet, don't send mail drops and resupply as you go, using the bounce box for things like maps, databook pages, etc.

Of course, if you are sure that maildrops are the best way to go, and don't want to use a bounce box, then you'll have to solve this problem well before you hit the trail. You'll also have to be able to accurately predict how much food you'll need for 5 months. And, what kind of food you'll happen to want when you are passing through central Virginia. If you can figure all that out, stashing some toliet paper shouldn't be too tough.

Jaybird
12-12-2003, 15:28
SOLEMATES:

i take 2 Charmin' travel rolls (available @ fine stores everywhere!...i had to say that!) obviously very lite & hardly no space @ all.

in fact...i have never used more than 1 of the Charmin rolls while on the southern portion of the A.T. ...but, also you could use "wet-wipes" (which i also carry).

Jaybird

chris
12-12-2003, 15:34
I forgot to list how much I went through this summer in my last post: About 3/4 of a roll. I just don't use too much, I suppose. I did supplement occasionally from forest service bathrooms in established areas and once or twice from a motel room. This was for 105 days of hiking, by the way.

Doctari
12-12-2003, 17:44
I never actually kept track, but on the average a 3/4 roll lasts me for over 100 miles.

The first thing I do is to remover the core from each roll. Then toss it in a large zip lock with a few handy wipes a very small bottle of sanitizer & a pack of matches. I don't burn the TP very often, but , , , , ,

Hint: if you have alcohol based sanitizer on your hands, do not light a match!

Doctari.

trailsnail
12-12-2003, 19:00
We refer to it as APP (All Purpose Paper), since it can be used for wiping noses, glasses or a bit of gunk out of the cook pot in addition to the original use. We carry a whole roll and restock in town.

smokymtnsteve
12-12-2003, 20:11
and another thing..

I keep two separate stashes of TP ..In different plastic bags...just in case One gets lost or wet...it's raining and you have to take a dump and your TP gets wet..It stays wet and I hate soggy TP...

Plus a little wad of Tp with some Olive oil dripped on it make an excellent fire starter.

Peaks
12-13-2003, 13:27
Obviously, you need to figure your rate of consumption. If I told you how long a roll last me, then I would be on the other side of the spectrum.

To make things simple, figure how much you average at one "sitting" and then figure out how much is on a roll.

If you don't want to do the math up front, then start with a half roll, and buy a replacement when the time comes. A full roll doesn't really weight that much.