PDA

View Full Version : Good Pack Choice? Anyone?

HikerMan36
12-11-2007, 10:30
Looking for any suggestions on a good pack for day hikes or 1-2 overnighters (at most) on the trail. I am not satisfied with the one I purchased and since I am new to this I thought some of the more accomplished trekkers out there could offer some advice to an (at best)
limited experienced rookie.

double j
12-11-2007, 10:35
i have a northface and the front of mine zips off for a daypack but im no vet.

Hooch
12-11-2007, 10:38
My personal pack is an REI Cruise UL 60 (http://www.rei.com/product/747520). It has about 3600 cubic inches, lightweight, comfortable, adjustable and pretty easy on the wallet. If you have an REI near you, give them a call to see if they rent them out.

MOWGLI
12-11-2007, 10:38
Looking for any suggestions on a good pack for day hikes or 1-2 overnighters (at most) on the trail. I am not satisfied with the one I purchased and since I am new to this I thought some of the more accomplished trekkers out there could offer some advice to an (at best)
limited experienced rookie.

I just bought this pack the other day online;

http://www.rei.com/product/747520

I had it sent to my Mom's in South Carolina (no tax). I'll be going there for Xmas. I also used the holiday coupon to save $20, and a $9 dividend. Cost me $110 with shipping after all the discounts.

It may not be my first choice, but the price was right and it will do the job. I plan to carry this on the JMT this summer, and for 90 miles on the Florida Trail next month. :banana

MOWGLI
12-11-2007, 10:39
Great minds think alike.

nitewalker
12-11-2007, 10:40
granite gear vapor trail is always a good choice as long as your not over 30lbs in your pack.......

Hooch
12-11-2007, 10:42
Great minds think alike.Clearly, they do. Ilike the pack. I bought it last year and am very happy with it. It holds everything I need with no difficulty whatsoever and I'm no gram weenie (No offense to those who are!), but not into carrying a heavy pack like I did during my enlistment in the Marines.

Hooch
12-11-2007, 10:43
I am not satisfied with the one I purchased.....May we ask wht pack you did buy, just out of curiousity's sake?

maxNcathy
12-11-2007, 11:27
Have you checked the backpacks at www.gossamergear.com (http://www.gossamergear.com) ?I bought the G5

Deadeye
12-11-2007, 11:47
I'll second the motion for the REI Cruise UL pack. I have an older model. Decent pack, decent construction, nice features, great price.

Just a Hiker
12-11-2007, 12:05
I will always recommend Osprey Packs. Osprey Packs are high quality and their Customer Service is surpassed by few.

Just Jim

jhick
12-11-2007, 12:25
I use an Osprey 65. Love it, but for me not enough padding in straps for loads approaching 40lbs.... which I usually don't have a problem with. Well built and great pocket layout. If you are prone to a sweaty back, you can't beat these for an internal frame!

HikerMan36
12-11-2007, 12:28
May we ask wht pack you did buy, just out of curiousity's sake?

I thought I would go with a combo pack/hydration system (seemed like a good choice for a light pack)because I am a former Marine as well and my days of humping serious weight are over....LOL:). The thing is it turned out to be too small for even minimal gear, a day pack at the very most in my opinion. It was the Camelbak Commander by the way with the 100 oz. reservoir. Is the REI large enough for a sleeping bag or does it have attachments on the bottom for bungee cording like some packs?

DAKS
12-11-2007, 12:35
i also use the REI UL 60. it's a great pack! as far as yer' sleeping bag goes, i'm sure you could find a way to attach it to the outside but you would need to get a bit creative. input here from others? i just slam my bag or quilt in the bottom of the pack inside a garbage bag.

JAK
12-11-2007, 12:35
I bought the first ultralight pack I came across in person to try on. It is the Go-Lite JAM2 large. It is 20oz and 3100ci and I think I can make it work for me even in winter as tend to wear more weight than I pack. My original pack was to heavy at 5 pounds or something crazy like that. There are many many options under 2 pounds with decent volume for around $100.

JAK
12-11-2007, 12:37
I'm still kind of amazed that there are so many more poor choices than good choices, but not really. Such is life.

Hooch
12-11-2007, 12:58
I will always recommend Osprey Packs. Osprey Packs are high quality and their Customer Service is surpassed by few.

I use an Osprey 65. Love it, but for me not enough padding in straps for loads approaching 40lbs.... which I usually don't have a problem with. Well built and great pocket layout. If you are prone to a sweaty back, you can't beat these for an internal frame!I was going to buy the Osprey Atmos 65, but didn't because, as a larger hiker, the waist pad/belt didn't fit me. I was pretty bummed out about it, too. :(

IIs the REI large enough for a sleeping bag or does it have attachments on the bottom for bungee cording like some packs?

i also use the REI UL 60.....i just slam my bag or quilt in the bottom of the pack inside a garbage bag. I do the same thing, just put it in its stuff sack and pop it in a garbage bag in the bottom of my pack.

jhick
12-11-2007, 13:03
The Atmos 65 has a bottom compartment for sleeping bags that can be opened without digging into bottom of the bag. Inside is an adjustable divider between the top and bottom compartments.

dloome
12-11-2007, 19:00
Golite Ion. REALLY cheap, extremely durable, big enough for 2-3 nights provided you keep it simple. It's quite spartan, but I rigged up some shock cord to carry my pad vertically on the outside of the pack. Plan to add a side pocket over winter break- THEN it will be the perfect pack.

Chaco Taco
12-11-2007, 19:04
Golite Pinnacle. Folds up into an overnighter pack and extends out for a big hike. I love this pack. Holds everything with some space left in it. Got it new for $130. Aslo hold hydration bladder and has no frame, just a thick foam that feel nice on my back with the bladder back there.
Great support. Also great water pounches on side. Each side holds 2 large Nalgene's

Smile
12-11-2007, 19:09
Have you checked the backpacks at www.gossamergear.com ?I bought the G5

I wonder why they are discontinuing this pack?

hopefulhiker
12-11-2007, 20:29
For just two day trips you could look for a used Mountain Smith ghost.. A good inexpensive pack for smaller loads..

copythat
12-11-2007, 22:32
golite jam (the original) is a decent pack for a night or two, and light enough for just the day. not sure how it would do with the added bulk of a winter overnight. (unless it was winter in miami, or someplace like that.)