PDA

View Full Version : Stoves? Which one!!

HikerMan36
12-11-2007, 11:10
There are so many differen't choices (and opinions) out there on which stove is best. I am leaning toward an MSR PR or a Snow Peak Giga. Are these burners compatible with other brands of fuel canisters(other than there name brand)? Any comments,suggestions,recommendations welcomed.

Lone Wolf
12-11-2007, 11:12
There are so many differen't choices (and opinions) out there on which stove is best. I am leaning toward an MSR PR or a Snow Peak Giga. Are these burners compatible with other brands of fuel canisters(other than there name brand)? Any comments,suggestions,recommendations welcomed.

go with the Giga. yes it is compatible with other cannister brands.

maxNcathy
12-11-2007, 11:23
I have both and like them very much.

Hooch
12-11-2007, 11:30
I use the MSR Pocket Rocket/Titan Kettle Combo. Just a hair over 7 oz for both, sans fuel. I've never had a failure or any other problem with it. In retrospect, it was an excellent equipment decision/purchase.

Summit
12-11-2007, 12:05
I'm a recent convert to the JetBoil. Almost bought the pocket rocket but I really like the JetBoil. The auto-light is cool. Don't have to fumble/find a lighter to get your stove going. Eat out of the pot is easy with built-in cozy. I got mine on sale for less than the pocket rocket + lightweight pot. ;)

saimyoji
12-11-2007, 12:32
SP GigaPower for me. Though I recently boiled a liter of water with it at about 25*, took nearly 5 min. Of course, I didn't have my windscreen, and it was sleeting....:rolleyes:

Mocs123
12-11-2007, 13:29
Snow Peak Giga Power

The Weasel
12-11-2007, 13:36
go with the Giga. yes it is compatible with other cannister brands.

Agreed (I have a Giga) except they don't fix the large propane bottles, no big loss there.

TW

partinj
12-11-2007, 13:42
Hi i have snow peak gig with a windscreen and a pot cozy iwas able to boil a quart of water in 2 1/2 mintures a 28deg. Msr jetboil and many and a few other will fit the snow peak. If you can get to walmart they have the big cannisters by coleman for 3.88. One thing abount Titan cookware i found that they do heat even and you can burn your food if you don't watch it.That why i got a kmart greese pot it really heat up fast and is lite to.

partinj
12-11-2007, 13:44
sorry about the type error at the local lib keyboard have a habit of not work inf see

4eyedbuzzard
12-11-2007, 13:55
The "best stove" depends more upon what type of backcountry cooking you do than anything else. Solo, two, or more people? Just boiling water or doing some real cooking as well? How long between resupply? Weather/temp conditions? Convenience needed/skill level?

Some in-depth info at

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20055&highlight=stove+efficiency

http://hikinghq.net/stoves/stove_compare.html

Brushy Sage
12-11-2007, 21:56
I have an MSR Whisperlite that I haven't fired up in a couple years. The pressure in the fuel cannister has been relieved, but there is still a little bit of fuel (white gas) in there. I'm wondering how long the fuel will still be usable? I have heard that it will gel in the cannister after a time.

copythat
12-11-2007, 22:09
giga (with the 2 oz. windscreen) and an antigravity pot (3-cup for solo, 2-qt with others). faaaaabulous combination. and the smaller size of the snowpeak fuel cannister is faaaaabulous, too. :sun

(edit ...) p.s. this setup worked fine for me last weekend in upper teens, too. boiled quickly without breaking a sweat.

JJB
12-11-2007, 22:10
My vote is for the Giga too. I was out a couple of weeks ago in the Whites. It was cold and snowy. I was using the Jet Boil canister and it worked great but I went through a lot of fuel trying to met snow for water. In the winter I think you would be much better off with a liquid fuel stove such as my favorite a Whisperlite.Peace. J.J.B.