PDA

View Full Version : Rockies Ruck - Feb 29 - Mar 2 - Leadville, CO

Mags
12-11-2007, 11:58
As always, please excuse the cross postings. :)

I hope everyone is getting ready for the holidays (or perhaps already enjoying the holidays by having latkes...mmm..latkes).

Just a reminder about the Rockies Ruck!

From a previous post:

It is that time of the year again...time for the Rockies low key get
together! :)

There have always been Gatherings, Rucks, Kick Offs and Trail Days
on the East and West coasts.... many of us here in Rockies felt it
was time to do one in our neck of the mountains. In 2005, 2006 and
2007 we did! We typically have about 20-25 people.

The Ruck is a low key get together for those who enjoy the long
trails. Does not matter if you are thru-hiker, a section hiker, day
hiker or a dreamer...you just need to love the outdoors and the long
trails!

More info on what a Ruck is all about:

http://web.archive.org/web/20040111105214/friends.backcountry.net/ruck/

This year, we are again having the Ruck at the Leadville Hostel
(http://www.leadvillehostel.com (http://www.leadvillehostel.com/)) in Leadville, CO on Feb 29th - Mar 2nd.

The last weekend of February/ first weekend of March. (Leap year,
don't you know!)

Some of you CDTers/CTers and American Discovery Trail folks probably
know Wild Bill and Cathy from your stay at the hostel. They are
continuing to be one of the most friendly hostels owners on ANY trail.

As with previous years, the cost will be ~$60 for a bunk, shower, four
meals (2 dinners, 2 breakfasts. We'll do a potluck lunch on Saturday).

There are LIMITED amounts of private/couple rooms, so if you prefer a
room to a bunk, I suggest reserving early.

All reservations can be done at:
www.leadvillehostel.com

You can also make reservations at:
(719) 486-9334

Tell Bill that it is for the ROCKIES RUCK. The hostel can accommodate
vegetarian needs. Pets are allowed. "Adult drinks" are allowed for
those who behave like adults. (Which means, I can drink my wine! :D)

The hostel itself has a HUGE TV for the slide shows, plenty of space
downstairs for gear stuff. If you are doing a trail, there are AT,
PCT, CDT and other trail veterans happy to answer any questions.

During the day, plenty of skiing/snowshoeing opportunities abound.
There is even a shop in Leadville that rents the equipment, too. For
anyone who enjoys alpine skiing, Ski Cooper is nearby at Tennesee
Pass. If you need supplies, Leadville has a Safeway.

Photos from previous years at:
http://snipurl.com/12agr
http://snipurl.com/1sv76

Any more questions? Please e-mail me at pmags AT yahoo.com
(replace the AT with an @)

I also suggest going to the Yahoo Group set up for the ruck at:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rockies_ruck/</pre>

DAKS
12-11-2007, 12:05
i wish i was still in 'rado! that sounds like a ball!!!! looks like you guys are getting some good snow finally!!! wolf creek got dumped on i hear? sorry i can't join you in february! have a great time!!!!

Mags
12-11-2007, 12:55
i wish i was still in 'rado! that sounds like a ball!!!! looks like you guys are getting some good snow finally!!! wolf creek got dumped on i hear? sorry i can't join you in february! have a great time!!!!

Thanks for the good wishes!

I went skiing up in the Indian Peaks all this weekend. Makes for a good time skiing, not so much for my morning commute. :)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-11-2007, 13:02
This sounds like the sort of Ruck I would like to attend!
::: Dino goes to see if there is any way the Dinos can be in CO during that time frame :::

Marta
12-11-2007, 13:10
... Makes for a good time skiing, not so much for my morning commute. :)

I'm heading out to Breckenridge next week. I hope we can get there!

DAKS
12-11-2007, 13:19
regarding the am commute! does the token statement "four wheel drive doesn't mean four wheel stop" still apply out there? or "my trucks bigger than yer' subaru so move it!" i forgot how fun the commute was this time of year. drive safe!!!

Mags
12-11-2007, 13:22
regarding the am commute! does the token statement "four wheel drive doesn't mean four wheel stop" still apply out there? or "my trucks bigger than yer' subaru so move it!" i forgot how fun the commute was this time of year. drive safe!!!

Oh god yeah!

Too many people with big trucks who DO NOT know how to drive in snow.
(I have an SUV...I can go 10 MPH above the speed limit!!!!)

One woman almost caused an accident today. She was in a big hokin' SUV..and on a cell phone!!!!!!!!!

***rant off**** :)

Footslogger
12-11-2007, 13:26
How come this is a "Sticky" thread ??

'Slogger

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-11-2007, 13:34
All the other rucks get sticky threads - why shouldn't this one?

Mags
12-11-2007, 13:46

I dunno. It would make sense. :)

(looks like someone made it a sticky! Grazie! Danke! Thanks! Etc!)

Footslogger
12-11-2007, 13:50

===============================

Duh ...why didn't I think of that ????

'Slogger

Mags
01-07-2008, 11:35
Hi all! Happy New Year! A monthly reminder about an upcoming event in the Rockies:

From a previous post:

It is that time of the year again...time for the Rockies low key get together!

There have always been Gatherings, Rucks, Kick Offs and Trail Days on the East and West coasts.... many of us here in Rockies felt it was time to do one in our neck of the mountains. In 2005, 2006 and 2007 we did! We typically have about 20-25 people.

The Ruck is a low key get together for those who enjoy the long trails. Does not matter if you are thru-hiker, a section hiker, day hiker or a dreamer...you just need to love the outdoors and the long trails!

This year, we are again having the Ruck at the Leadville Hostel (http://www.leadvillehostel.com) in Leadville, CO on Feb 29th - Mar 2nd.
The last weekend of February/ first weekend of March. (Leap year, don't you know!)
Some of you CDTers/CTers and American Discovery Trail folks probably know Wild Bill and Cathy from your stay at the hostel. They are continuing to be one of the most friendly hostels owners on ANY trail.

As with previous years, the cost will be ~$60 for a bunk, shower, four meals (2 dinners, 2 breakfasts. We'll do a potluck lunch on Saturday).
There are LIMITED amounts of private/couple rooms, so if you prefer a room to a bunk, I suggest reserving early.

All reservations can be done at: www.leadvillehostel.com
You can also make reservations at: (719) 486-9334

Tell Bill that it is for the ROCKIES RUCK. The hostel can accommodate vegetarian needs. Pets are allowed. "Adult drinks" are allowed for those who behave like adults. (Which means, I can drink my wine! )

The hostel itself has a HUGE TV for the slide shows, plenty of space downstairs for gear stuff. If you are doing a trail, there are AT, PCT, CDT and other trail veterans happy to answer any questions.

During the day, plenty of skiing/snowshoeing opportunities abound. There is even a shop in Leadville that rents the equipment, too. For anyone who enjoys alpine skiing, Ski Cooper is nearby at Tennessee Pass. If you need supplies, Leadville has a Safeway.

Photos from previous years at: http://snipurl.com/12agr http://snipurl.com/1sv76

Any more questions? Please e-mail me at pmags AT yahoo.com (replace the AT with an @)

I also suggest going to the Yahoo Group set up for the ruck at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rockies_ruck/

Mags
02-06-2008, 13:19
Hi all,

My final post for this little shindig in Leadville. We'll be showing the WALKUMENATARY with many of the people from that DVD
in attendance. Whether that is a good or bad thing is open for debate. ;)

Some skiing/snowshoeing adventures are planned, so be sure to bring your winter toys! You can also rent some snowshoes/skis in town, too.

Should be fun!

>From a previous post:

It is that time of the year again...time for the Rockies low key get together!

There have always been Gatherings, Rucks, Kick Offs and Trail
Days on the East and West coasts.... many of us here in Rockies felt it
was time to do one in our neck of the mountains. In 2005, 2006 and 2007
we did! We typically have about 20-25 people.

The Ruck is a low key get together for those who enjoy the long
trails. Does not matter if you are thru-hiker, a section hiker, day
hiker or a dreamer...you just need to love the outdoors and the long
trails!

This year, we are again having the Ruck at the Leadville Hostel
(http://www.leadvillehostel.com (http://www.leadvillehostel.com/)) in Leadville, CO on Feb 29th - Mar
2nd.

The last weekend of February/ first weekend of March. (Leap year, don't you know!)

Some of you CDTers/CTers and American Discovery Trail folks
probably know Wild Bill and Cathy from your stay at the hostel. They
are continuing to be one of the most friendly hostels owners on ANY
trail.

As with previous years, the cost will be ~$60 for a bunk, shower,
four meals (2 dinners, 2 breakfasts. We'll do a potluck lunch on
Saturday).

There are LIMITED amounts of private/couple rooms, so if you prefer a room to a bunk, I suggest reserving early.

All reservations can be done at: www.leadvillehostel.com

You can also make reservations at: (719) 486-9334

Tell Bill that it is for the ROCKIES RUCK. The hostel can
accommodate vegetarian needs. Pets are allowed. "Adult drinks" are
allowed for those who behave like adults. (Which means, I can drink my
wine! )

The hostel itself has a HUGE TV for the slide shows, plenty of
space downstairs for gear stuff. If you are doing a trail, there are
AT, PCT, CDT and other trail veterans happy to answer any questions.

During the day, plenty of skiing/snowshoeing opportunities
abound. There is even a shop in Leadville that rents the equipment,
too. For anyone who enjoys alpine skiing, Ski Cooper is nearby at Tennessee Pass. If you need supplies, Leadville has a Safeway.

Photos from previous years at: http://snipurl.com/12agr http://snipurl.com/1sv76

Any more questions? Please e-mail me at pmags AT yahoo.com (replace the AT with an @)

I also suggest going to the Yahoo Group set up for the ruck at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rockies_ruck/

</pre>

Lion King
02-13-2008, 00:44
Think Ill be in Kansas by then...

quasarr
02-13-2008, 14:14
wish I could be there, I'm on the East Coast now. Many times this summer I showered at Wild Bill & Cathy's. Don't you dare swing on that seat on the porch! :eek:

btw Mags if you get a chance to hike up Mt Massive this year then check out the junction of the CT and the Massive ascent trail. that's the area I worked on this summer!! oh my the rocks were heavy :p

minnesotasmith
02-26-2008, 00:32
So, I've had the fiance calling and emailing the Leadville hostel to make reservations. No one answers the phone or returns her messages, and she's getting no responses from her e-mails. What's going on? Is the event still going on, and is the hostel open right now?

minnesotasmith
02-26-2008, 08:12
So, is this Ruck called off? Is the hostel shut down? Does anyone know what's going on with this?

Footslogger
02-26-2008, 10:10
No ...Ruck is on MS. We're headed down from Laramie early Saturday morning.

Bill is ususally pretty good about answering e-mail contacts from their website. Never have tried to call there though :-?

'Slogger

minnesotasmith
02-27-2008, 11:45
Unfortunately, they're pretty much all out of space. Anyone know what is the cheapest motel anywhere near there?

minnesotasmith
02-28-2008, 11:23
I'm going! :)

Footslogger
02-28-2008, 11:27
I'm going! :)

================================

See you there then. We'll be arriving early Saturday morning !!

'Slogger ( ...and BadAss Turtle)

minnesotasmith
02-28-2008, 12:57
Expect to be there til at least Saturday evening, depending on when I get called back to work.

Hikers! Yay! My people. :sun
=======================

See you there then. We'll be arriving early Saturday morning !!

'Slogger ( ...and BadAss Turtle)

minnesotasmith
02-29-2008, 19:50
As of 4:30 P.M. local (Mountain) time Friday, no other hikers here yet, just some skiers. Hostel owner told me about 30 total are expected.

Footslogger
02-29-2008, 20:01
As of 4:30 P.M. local (Mountain) time Friday, no other hikers here yet, just some skiers. Hostel owner told me about 30 total are expected.

Mags should be there some time tonight. BadAss and I will be there early in the morning.

Say HEY to Wild Bill for me ...

'Slogger

Sly
02-29-2008, 20:19

They must have heard you were coming and secretly moved it! :p

If Nean's buddy Pete shows up you'll all be in for a treat. (assuming you like music)

yappy
02-29-2008, 20:32
wish i were. I stayed there last year. Very cool hostel and I LOVE leadville..

Sly
02-29-2008, 21:15
wish i were. I stayed there last year. Very cool hostel and I LOVE leadville..

I wish I were there with you! :)

Forgot about the RR! :( Why didn't I stop for a week in CO! I think I could have got a connecting flight in Denver cheaper! :datz

Footslogger
03-01-2008, 22:33
The Rockies Ruck is Rockin !!!

Great group so far. Leadville treated us to something called "Ski Jorring" ...where a skier is pulled by a horse. The skier must complete 3 ski jumps and grab rings off of hooks as they go by. Never saw anything like that in my entire life !!

Back at the hostel now being served and excellent dinner by Wild Bill and Kathy. About to get into some serious Pictionary or Balderdash. Then it will be onto viewing videos of various peoples hikes from different long trails.

What a croud ...what a town ...what a night !!

'Slogger

minnesotasmith
03-02-2008, 01:06
Was an interesting and rather elite crowd. There were at least 3 Triple Crowners present, and easily 8 CDT past thruhikers.

Footslogger
03-02-2008, 09:48
Was an interesting and rather elite crowd. There were at least 3 Triple Crowners present, and easily 8 CDT past thruhikers.
===========================

Interesting yes ...elite ?? matter of opinion. Pretty down-to-earth group if you ask me. Lots of experience though and great source of information and inspiration for my upcoming hikes.

Rock On ...

'Slogger

minnesotasmith
03-06-2008, 11:53
They seemed IMO to have a not very high opinion of the AT's difficulty, especially WRT the CDT. This is despite the fact that the AT has far more total vertical change. Just about the only guy there when I was there who was in his 50s (and was planning his first AT thruhike for later this year) was completely uninterested in hearing some hints from me as to places to go/not go, some things I figured out on dealing with the wetness, etc. I know I have acquired something of a gut since my AT thruhike. But since that ended barely 15 months ago, one would have thought he would if anything been after me to pick my brain. Well, I figure he'll see soon enough if the AT is a joke trail or not...

===========================

Interesting yes ...elite ?? matter of opinion. Pretty down-to-earth group if you ask me. Lots of experience though and great source of information and inspiration for my upcoming hikes.

Rock On ...

'Slogger

Mags
03-06-2008, 12:00
Of course you came and left early and missed the AT slideshow. :)

OTOH, I was suffering from a flu and probably could not say much, period. :D

We had about 20 or so people over the course of the weekend.

I'll give a full Ruck report after this weekend, but my idea for the Ruck was something informal: A chance to get together, share ideas (we had stove AND sewing clinics) and catchup. Watch some shows to get inspired. And, being outdoors people, do something outdoors related!

My flu precluded me from skiing..but several people went snowboarding up at nearby resorts, quite a few people went x-country skiing around town, other went snowshoeing I belived. Then there was the ski joring!

I am firm believer than an outdoor gathering should have..well, outdoor activities. ;)

The best part of the weekend though is the informal "whatever"..whatever people want to do..whatever happens...whatever happens over the course of a weekend.

So the weekend reflects the western hiker mentality - a chance to do what you want, while all sharing a common goal (having fun in Leadville).

I am pleased to report I am (mainly) over my flu. :)

max patch
03-06-2008, 12:01
They seemed IMO to have a not very high opinion of the AT's difficulty, especially WRT the CDT.

Although you shouldn't, it is possible to hike the AT without maps. Can you honestly say the same thing about the CDT?

minnesotasmith
03-06-2008, 12:17
Although you shouldn't, it is possible to hike the AT without maps. Can you honestly say the same thing about the CDT?

I've done extensive hiking around the rigs I've been working on in the mountains of Colorado, Utah, and Wyoming the last 11 months. I've found that bushwacking is often not that hard to do, with any kind of eye to terrain. Too, even if the going is currently a PITA, most of the time it is possible to see distances ahead that range from unusual to downright rare on the AT. With adeuate maps, compass, and the remotest idea of how to use them, I can't see that much chance of getting lost on the CDT.

My biggest worry WRT thruhiking the CDT would be breaking an ankle or something on the bushwacking parts, and never getting found. Water, altitude, lack of shade, lesser frequency of resupply options, shorter season length in which to thruhike, persistent snowpack at high altitude, high altitude period, lightning on exposed ridges -- I figure those are manageable, if very real issues.

==============================
P.S. I left early only BC I had to go back to work. I much would have preferred staying til everyone else had left, trust me. I needed more of a fellow-hiker fix than the time I had available.

Cookerhiker
03-06-2008, 12:36
Sounds like a good time. Thought about attending - I was in the vicinity with my gf, first in Ouray the 26th and 27th and tried my first x-country skiing. I then headed west and toured Monument Valley, Antelope Canyon, and 2 days at Capitol Reef. Heading to Arizona to work on construction of the Arizona Trail.

Sly
03-06-2008, 12:51
With adequate maps, compass, and the remotest idea of how to use them, I can't see that much chance of getting lost on the CDT.

The question was if you could do it without maps. Sure if you have maps and a compass you shouldn't get lost, but many do, if only temporarily. You also have to figure the "window" for a thru-hike, which is 6 months tops. Leaves you out! :p

minnesotasmith
03-06-2008, 13:32
The question was if you could do it without maps. Sure if you have maps and a compass you shouldn't get lost, but many do, if only temporarily. You also have to figure the "window" for a thru-hike, which is 6 months tops. Leaves you out! :p

1) I bring maps on ALL overnight hikes.

2) If in fact I do a second thruhike in 2009, as I am seriously considering, I'd definitely set it up to go considerably faster. I know I could thruhike the PCT in time; CDT, jury's out, especially w/out flipflopping.

Sly
03-06-2008, 13:55
1 I know I could thruhike the PCT in time; CDT, jury's out, especially w/out flipflopping.

PCT has a slightly longer window and is almost as far. Problems being several mountains in southern CA (and New Mexico) that have snow until late spring, and of course, the Sierras (and CO), so you can't start too early, heat, lack of water (35 miles stretches), deep and swift fords, walking on snow/ice. Either trail requires a 15-20 mile per day average, but most tend to do more.

They're a good challenge.

minnesotasmith
03-06-2008, 15:27
But, anyone at the Ruck who knows how to reach a certain hiker who was there is welcome to help. (That's why I didn't just PM Mags.)

A hiker named Sky God (tall, relatively young, black-haired, no glasses, no facial hair) I talked with wanted the names of the two brands of compressed shelf-stable whole-grain bread I use on LD hikes. I could not remember the names while there, and managed to misplace the paper he gave me with his e-mail address on it. The brands are Mestemacher and Rubschlager. Anyone who can forward those names on to him, it'd be helpful to him. Thanks in advance.

Mags
03-06-2008, 15:52
Ask..and ye shall receive:

http://andylinger.com/CDT07/
[email protected] ([email protected]?subject=CDT)

minnesotasmith
03-06-2008, 16:09
E-mailed him the info.