PDA

View Full Version : Stove

Nearly Normal
12-11-2007, 20:54
I've always used a Trangia Westwind but I ran accross this one today.
Has anyone used this stove and what do you think of it?

http://store.sundogoutfitter.com/Items/VRGT303

Pedaling Fool
12-11-2007, 21:01
I use a Jetboil, never used an alcohol stove. However, I've seen them in various outfitters for about the same price. They seemed kinda flimsy, if I were in the market for one I would just make one using instructions on the internet. Some people are getting very elaborate in their design and construction method. I believe they are better than what I've seen in the stores, if not they can't be any worse and they are a whole lot cheaper.

oops56
12-11-2007, 21:20
If you never tried a alcohol stove you find that the jet boil sucks it can only do one size pot and its got a real hot sport burnt food. Plus what in the world you in a hurry for you are out to take it easy.Plus with a jet boil must baby set it as it cooking were with a alcohol can walk away and no burnt food plus when food or water is ready fire goes out

bullseye
12-11-2007, 21:21
For the money I can sell you a whole kitchen (https://www.end2endtrailsupply.com/Special_Deals.html). Just can't see that kind of money for an alky stove :-? (maybe I'm just jealous:rolleyes: .....NAAAAAH!:D )

Footslogger
12-11-2007, 22:24
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Unless you're disatisfied with the Trangia I'd tell you to stick with it. I've been using my Trangia since around 1999 and have seen all the variations on the theme (and have tried several of them). Keep on coming back to the Trangia for it's durability and reliability.

'Slogger

Tinker
12-12-2007, 00:33
Titanium is not a very good metal for heat transfer. It cools very quickly. An alcohol stove needs to run hot to vaporize the fuel. I met someone on the AT with one of the original Vargo ti alcohol stoves. My supercat heated my water twice as fast as the Vargo (in fairness, though, the first rendition Vargo stove proved to be problematic in design).

On the Brasslite stove website, it is noted that aluminum has the best heat transfer properties, with brass (or possibly the much-too-soft copper second). Brass is more durable, though.

Christopher Robin
12-12-2007, 19:05
Take a look at ( Feather Fire) it is durablity, adjustable flame, very light and pack into your pot. www.packafeather.com (http://www.packafeather.com)

Nearly Normal
12-12-2007, 20:39
I'm very happy with the trangia. I wouldn't give it up.

Just wanted to know if anyone had used the other. I had seen the triad with the folding legs work and wasn't impressed.

I've never seen the one piece version before. Nothing to lose or break.
Good simple concept.

I may get one just to collect.

babbage
12-13-2007, 22:35
Hang on to your Trangia-- you will need it.

Terry7
12-14-2007, 12:37
I used my homemade Pepsi stove for 5 months this year and it worked great.

SunnyWalker
12-20-2007, 22:54
I bought an Esbit stove at Walsi-yi this last July and used it while on the AT. I liked how light it was and easy to use. No spilling fuel. Fuel itself (pellets) were very light. I had been using a MSR, so if you know these two stoves you can see there is a big diff in weight. -SunnyWalker

kayak karl
12-20-2007, 22:59
I used my homemade Pepsi stove for 5 months this year and it worked great.
same here

Pedaling Fool
12-20-2007, 23:11
I bought an Esbit stove at Walsi-yi this last July and used it while on the AT. I liked how light it was and easy to use. No spilling fuel. Fuel itself (pellets) were very light. I had been using a MSR, so if you know these two stoves you can see there is a big diff in weight. -SunnyWalker
How big are these pellets and how long do they last? Also, do they bring water to a boil, if so about how long?

oops56
12-20-2007, 23:27
Don't forget a bag of corn chips they burn in the esbit stoves just a little piece of the tablet to get it stared.Match well do it also may take two just put in stove first then corn chips light.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/stoves%202/corn01-1.jpg

Tinker
12-21-2007, 02:10
How big are these pellets and how long do they last? Also, do they bring water to a boil, if so about how long?

They weigh 1/2 oz. each and will bring 16 oz. cold water to a boil in temps above 40 degrees. Below that, you may need to use 1-1/2 tab. They leave a residue on your pots, but not any worse than alcohol stoves. They do, however, smell when they are burning. No container for your fuel saves you money, and you can make and use a beer can "stove" with a can and some aluminum flashing with a tent stake for a pot holder.

Tinker
12-21-2007, 02:14
My beer can stove:
http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2455391440059664855bHjoVJ

Above post should read "to save weight" not "money". It's late and I'm tired.

highway
12-21-2007, 08:52
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Unless you're disatisfied with the Trangia I'd tell you to stick with it. I've been using my Trangia since around 1999 and have seen all the variations on the theme (and have tried several of them). Keep on coming back to the Trangia for it's durability and reliability.

'Slogger

Me too, but I would add two additional plus attributes of the Trangia:

"Fill it and forget it". No more metering out guestimates for fuel for the daily conditions each time you cook.

Efficiency. It is one of the more efficient of the alcohol stoves which serves to cancel out the heavier weight of the Trangia. You carry less fuel to operate it.

SunnyWalker
12-21-2007, 14:17
Well, it has been mentioned already here how much the Esbitt pellets weigh. As far as how long to say boil water? I am sorry, I usually get it going, put it on and dink around and lo and behold its boiling. If you go to their website it will tell you the temp that will be achieved under ideal conditions. I have uesed Esbitt in Summer months under dry and rainy conditions. I have not used them in winter yet. I think now I will go out in my backyard and try them out. Here in West TX it can get pretty cold in the winter. I will wait for a pretty cold day and try it. -SunnyWalker

SunnyWalker
12-21-2007, 14:24
Sorry another entry. I was hiking the AT without my MSR cuz of its weight and had brought along a Stratus woodstove that also has the capacity for alcohol. Well, each night I was so tired I would just use the Stratus with the alcohol setup. I got to thinking I might as well have a tiny light weight alcohol stove. I discovered one day that about half of my alcohol had leaked out all over the inside of my pack. And then one night I spilled some alcohol when trying to fill the burner. Well this was not a big emerg or anything. But the next night I was in a hostel and the folks had a lot of nice lit on equip and all. That is where I read of the Esbitt stove and they described how by using it one need not worry about alcohol spillage or leakage. That kind of appealed to me at that moment. So I bought one at Walasi-yi cntr a day or so later and shipped my Stratus wood/alcohol stove home. Still have it. The Esbitt pellets burn for a little over 10 minutes and I usually blow the fire out as I am done cooking before then. One can re-light the "used" pellet again. When you light a pellet it ends up sticking to the can or stove or whatever you are using. So that makes it nice. This has worked well for me. I always dreaded filling up the MSR bottle and taking all that with me. -SunnyWalker