PDA

View Full Version : Here's the '08 gear list for me!

Passionphish
12-11-2007, 21:04
Tell me what you think! I don't have a total weight yet. My scale went bonkers! I think I weigh stuff too much.:sun

Thru-Hike Gear List:

I am six foot 220. Type II diabetic hiking with my mother and daughter. They are spliting the "women's" gear. I can be a cold sleeper. We will be freezer bagging it most of the time. I need to be able to carry some of their food or gear if the going gets tough. I am in fairly good shape, 3 mile daily run and all...

Base Gear:
1. GoLite Pinnacle
2. REI Mojave 15 degree down bag
3. MLD Spinnacker Grace Solo Tarp with MSR Aluminum Stakes (6)
4. MLD Bug Bivy or Full Bivy
5. Tyvek Ground cloth
6. ProLite short or Thermarest closedcell
7. Ursack S29
8. Caldera Cone
9. Evernew Titanium .9L pot
10. Antigravity Gear caldera kitchen and cozys
11. Aircore pillow from BPL
12. Tikka Plus Head lamp
13. Katadyn Hiker Pro filter (w/ lube)
14. Platypus 3L bladder
15. Random plastic bottle for flavored drinking

Accessories:
1. spare batteries Energier e2 (for headlamp)
2. Nikon s50 Camera
3. Two spare camera batteries w/ two memory cards
4. Palm TX w/ memory card and charger (Email off the trail, bible, AT guide book, etc)
5. Think Outside Bluetooth Keyboard (oh come on! I like the gadgets!)
6. BPL camera minipod
7. Firelite Scout firestarter
8. Glucometer (with strips and needles)
9. REI Walking Staff (I forget which one)
10. First Aid Kit
11. Lexan Spoon
12. Bandanna
13. Trash Compactor liner

Clothing:
1. Synthetic boxer brief x3
2. Synthetic Long sleeve x2
3. Synthetic short sleeve x2
4. Nylon Button up
5. Nylon zip off pants/shorts
6. Wool socks x3
7. Montrail Hardrocks
8. wide brim hat
9. Anorak (Waterproofed and pit zips sewn in)

Cold weather addition:
1. Gloves
2. Watch cap
3. Primaloft Jacket/vest combo

I don't think I have forgotten anything... hmmmm....

warraghiyagey
12-11-2007, 21:10
Looks good. You may find extra batteries, chargers, cards are unecessary. Plan ahead to aquire them along the way.
Enjoy your hike!:welcome

Cuffs
12-11-2007, 21:14
Gear list looks good. Do you have the weights of these items individually? Or a total?

What "womens gear" are they splitting?

Passionphish
12-12-2007, 15:27
The women are splitting a Tarptent, major bug chemicals, a clothes line, etc. They are PREPARED to stay warm, dry and comfortable. I'm a little envious to be truthful. I just don't want it enough to carry the wait.

mountain squid
12-12-2007, 15:37
Some observations:

camp footwear
unless you already have it, the Ursack isn't necessary - a sil-nylon stuff sack works fine
50' nylon cord
hand sanitizer
tp
toothbrush/paste
needle for draining blisters
fuel for your stove
sun screen (no leaves on the trees, if you leave in the Spring)
sm Swiss Army Knife with tweezers/scissors (pulling ticks/trimming nails)
ear plugs
duct tape
whistle
freezer bags
is that digital AT Guide book, just the guide book or is it the Companion with town info?

And, of course, don't forget ID/credit/atm cards.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Passionphish
12-12-2007, 17:41
Camp shoes!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I knew I forgot something! On that topic Mountain Crossings has a pair of shoes that roll up into a very small tube, weigh less than crocs (in my size) and are real comfortable. I'm getting a pair! Thanks for that!

I'm using Dr Brennan's for all things "cleaner" related. Tweezer's and what not are already in the first aid kit. Though I will admit that beyond those two things my first aid kit is pretty sparse. Think tegaderm, antibiotic ointment, and super glue... yeah.

As to the Guide book. It will have all the bonus material. It is not a "digital version". I am just hand entering the data and then down loading it to the palm. When I am done I will be glad to make if available to anyone who wants it.

Oh, and the id and cards.... I did forget about those (and the ever useful duct tape. What was I thinking!?!?) Got a kewl way to carry those cards?

The Cheat
12-12-2007, 17:46

Oh, and the id and cards.... I did forget about those (and the ever useful duct tape. What was I thinking!?!?) Got a kewl way to carry those cards?

http://www.rpi-polymath.com/ducttape/duct_tape_wallet.html

Appalachian Tater
12-12-2007, 20:12
List and prior suggestions look good.

My primary comment would be to look at your clothes. I am not sure what a nylon button-up is. You may only want one longsleeve and one shortsleeve shirt and one pair of underwear. Consider a cheap light pair of nylon running shorts to wear while doing laundry, swimming, or in camp. After one day you are so dirty clean underwear or a clean shirt is irrelevant.

You may also consider "dress" socks as liners and carrying some spenco second skin for blisters. I don't know how advanced your diabetes is but you should definitely check your feet and have dry socks available and consider carrying your regular toenail clippers.

Guidebook, maps, compass.

Also baby butt wipes with added rubbing alcohol are very nice to have for cleanup after going to the bathroom and at night. One or two of those suckers on your hands, face, feet, private parts and under your arms can do wonders before bed.

Passionphish
12-14-2007, 20:10
Thanks everyone for your input on my Gear List! The more criticism the better my list will get! I appreciate your thoughs and opinions and will look through each!