PDA

View Full Version : Hey, I'm new, but excited!

DC80
12-12-2007, 02:37
Hello all,

I recently got the idea of hiking part of the Appalachin Trail in the summer of 08. I live in upstate NY so was thinking of hiking the section from Vermont through NJ and possibly half way through PA. I looked on the ATC page but all the guides and pretty much everything else costs money for a membership. I was wondering if you guys could point me to threads or other websites where I can get specific information on where I can park and launch from in Vermont (or if you have suggestions, feel free) and where the best places might be to stop in NJ/NY/PA. Also, just want to say I'll be looking around for good ideas and good campsites on this forum but if you have any specific advice about where I should definately stay at or what I should avoid let me know.

I'm in good shape and hiking is not a problem as I've done it several times in the areas I've grown up around. Although, I've never actually hiked day after day so, what do you guys estimate as the average miles covered per day, for a group of 21-24 year old guys?

Oh and did I mention, I'm moving to Tennessee next year and plan on hiking from Georgia all the way back up to Pennsylvania in Summer 09. And I'll finish the rest of the trail as I can.

Its great to start planning my trip with some friends and again, thanks for any advice or any direction.

warraghiyagey
12-12-2007, 02:45
DC,
I lived in Canandaigua area from 2001 to 2005. I used to write for the Daily Messenger - (Messenger Post Newspapers) so I know the area well. All the stop info along the way that you're looking for can be acquired in the AT Data Book. I've done the northeast section twice in the last 2 years and would be happy to give you any info that will help you and your friends. So is it St. John Fischer or UR or RIT or other? PM me if you like, I'll help however I can.
Peace.
SOBO8
Oh. . . and :welcome

Lone Wolf
12-12-2007, 02:58
buy one of these www.appalachianpages.com

JAK
12-12-2007, 02:59
In the now distant past a league was a unit of measure for the distance a man or horse could walk in one hour. This came to be understood to be about 3 miles before the unit became obsolete. 20 miles would be a good days travel. Of course there have always been messengers that have travelled faster, and farther. A good period of time for a round trip on foot was a fortnight, two weeks or half a cycle of the moon. Half of that, or one week, is a good length of time for travelling on foot while carrying all your own food, with perhaps a day at the end for rest and resupply. So 100 miles is a very good distance for a section. In rough terrain this is still very doable, but is rougher going. Now today even young 21-24 year olds can be a little soft, but those are natural natural guidelines. Bear in mind there are ladies that can run over 100 miles a day. Cheers.

The Mechanical Man
12-12-2007, 03:07
I suggest you join the ATC, you will get discounts on maps and books, it is money well spent on information that is priceless.
You just might want to spend some time as a trail volunteer before it is all over.

I am just guessing MOST whiteblaze members will point you in the same direction, and are ATC members also.

DC80
12-12-2007, 03:45
Its U of R! Congrats on remembering your upstate schools. I'm moving to TN (most likely) next year to attend medical school.

While I agree that itd be a great idea to buy into this ATC, I really lack the funds to commit to a 600 dollar membership (poor college kid, knee deep in UR loans, and with a minimum wage lab job) which would seem the only logical option, since the 100 a year doesn't seem worth it...

I will check out the Appalachian Pages website, thank you for that advice.

On another note I just wanted to clear up that I plan on a one way trip. That is dropping my car off with a friend about halfway through the drive to Vermont and then having him drive us up to the launch site. I'll get my car back at the tail of the trip when he would pick us up. I'm just looking for a solid place to be dropped off and picked up. Where can I get good ideas at a launch and end place?

I've also noticed a bit on this forum that people seem to love to travel NoBo (which is Northern if I'm not mistaken). Would it be better to go the reverse route? Is there something wrong with SoBo?

warraghiyagey
12-12-2007, 03:54
Its U of R! Congrats on remembering your upstate schools. I'm moving to TN (most likely) next year to attend medical school.

While I agree that itd be a great idea to buy into this ATC, I really lack the funds to commit to a 600 dollar membership (poor college kid, knee deep in UR loans, and with a minimum wage lab job) which would seem the only logical option, since the 100 a year doesn't seem worth it...

I will check out the Appalachian Pages website, thank you for that advice.

On another note I just wanted to clear up that I plan on a one way trip. That is dropping my car off with a friend about halfway through the drive to Vermont and then having him drive us up to the launch site. I'll get my car back at the tail of the trip when he would pick us up. I'm just looking for a solid place to be dropped off and picked up. Where can I get good ideas at a launch and end place?

I've also noticed a bit on this forum that people seem to love to travel NoBo (which is Northern if I'm not mistaken). Would it be better to go the reverse route? Is there something wrong with SoBo?
No SOBO is also a great way to go as do I. What if you left your car in Vermont, got a ride to Katahdin and hiked back to Vermont. Great section for sure.
SOBO8
Peace

DC80
12-12-2007, 04:01
I will check out that option... sounds like a good idea.

warraghiyagey
12-12-2007, 04:04
I will check out that option... sounds like a good idea.
Let me know if I can help with any details. I'll be heading SOBO again May 31 from Katahdin.

DC80
12-12-2007, 04:07
Are you going straight from Katahdin ALL the way down?

Roland
12-12-2007, 04:58
~
While I agree that itd be a great idea to buy into this ATC, I really lack the funds to commit to a 600 dollar membership ~

You don't have to purchase a lifetime membership, right now. You can support the ATC with a $30 membership (https://www.kintera.org/site/apps/ka/rg/register.asp?c=jkLXJ8MQKtH&b=787021&en=efIDKMNuGfLHISPEIbICJSNDJpLOIRNzHgLKJSMwEjJRK1P MH) and still be eligible for discounts.

When you've finished school and have earned income, you'll be in a better position to buy a lifetime membership.

Enjoy your adventure!

Marta
12-12-2007, 05:31
For section-hiking, some of the "Exploring the AT" books are useful:

https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/itemlist.cfm?atcmem=0&catid=42&pcatid=0&compid=1&page=5

They list trail access points, parking lots, and driving directions to them.

Another approach is to get a Data Book and a Delorme Gazetteer of the state and figure out your own access points.

If you don't already have backpacking gear, you should do a search on the "$300 challenge" to come up with a low-cost gear list. Hiking during the warm months will help cut costs.

CoyoteWhips
12-12-2007, 08:44
I think the first thing I would do, if I were an impoverished college student, is visit the local libraries -- school and city -- and see what trail guides are on the shelves. Yes, beware outdated data, but you can get quite a long ways on publicly available information.

Lone Wolf
12-12-2007, 08:49
I recently got the idea of hiking part of the Appalachin Trail in the summer of 08. I live in upstate NY so was thinking of hiking the section from Vermont through NJ and possibly half way through PA. I looked on the ATC page but all the guides and pretty much everything else costs money for a membership.

You can download the ALDHA Companion for FREE www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm

Appalachian Tater
12-12-2007, 08:51
The ALDHA Companion is available online for the price of a Google search.

Lone Wolf
12-12-2007, 08:53
really? you're kidding

CoyoteWhips
12-12-2007, 09:41
really? you're kidding

No, it's true!

Tin Man
12-12-2007, 09:45
The ALDHA Companion is available online for the price of a Google search.

How much is a Google search?

Lone Wolf
12-12-2007, 09:46
he was too lazy to post a link unlike me. i try to help out

Tin Man
12-12-2007, 09:48
Good, because I was afraid he might think his time was worth something.

Pony
12-12-2007, 11:40
So, does the ALDHA companion contain the same info as other guide books?

Lone Wolf
12-12-2007, 11:43
So, does the ALDHA companion contain the same info as other guide books?

yes. they're all basically the same

sasquatch2014
12-12-2007, 14:59
While the Me south is great country it can also eat your lunch in a hurry so depending on your fitness level and that of others in your party this is something you need to really consider. The trail from So Vermont through all of MA CT NY and NJ is all pretty tame stuff and can lead to an enjoyable section with pleanty of bail out options if needed.

doggiebag
12-12-2007, 15:02
While the Me south is great country it can also eat your lunch in a hurry so depending on your fitness level and that of others in your party this is something you need to really consider. The trail from So Vermont through all of MA CT NY and NJ is all pretty tame stuff and can lead to an enjoyable section with pleanty of bail out options if needed.
"bail out options" are for pansies :eek: !

lunchbx
12-12-2007, 15:12
glad to see someone else unwilling to pay for some simple information. if all you want to know is road crossings and parking lots and such before hand take a look at this link. theres always a way to get the info that you need to hike without paying for it so dont let anyone make you think otherwise.

http://www.cs.utk.edu/~dunigan/at/googleat.php

maxNcathy
12-12-2007, 15:19
Thanks, Lone Wolf for taking the time to post the link...just printed out about 25 pages for my hike this spring.
Sandalwood

The Old Fhart
12-12-2007, 16:11
There is always a price for everything-even free data. It appears the info in that link (http://www.cs.utk.edu/~dunigan/at/googleat.php) is 5-6 years old(2002). While major landmarks generally don't change, the trail and/or roads can be relocated. The biggest complaint of all data books is that they aren't up to the minute, up to date. Just realize what you're getting. The on line ALDHA Companion is generally out of date by 1 year.

DC80
12-12-2007, 16:18
I guess I'm really not looking for a "tame" hike. I am considering doing what another member suggested and hiking down from the Northern Tip down through NH and part of Vermont. I think that has more challenging sections and seems to me might be more "wilderness" like environment.

warraghiyagey
12-12-2007, 17:42
Let me know if I can help with any details. I'll be heading SOBO again May 31 from Katahdin.

Are you going straight from Katahdin ALL the way down?
God willing.

warraghiyagey
12-12-2007, 17:46
I guess I'm really not looking for a "tame" hike. I am considering doing what another member suggested and hiking down from the Northern Tip down through NH and part of Vermont. I think that has more challenging sections and seems to me might be more "wilderness" like environment.
It's a GREAT way to start your AT experience.

DC80
12-12-2007, 18:09
Hopefully if I start at the tip... I'll be able to section complete the whole trail with 6 or so vacations spreading over the next 3 years.

DuctTape
12-12-2007, 19:07
I like your original idea better. Killington, VT (U.S. 4, Sherburne Pass) to Duncannon, PA is a good SOBO section. Yes, this area is bit more tame than others... but Maine and NH is the most scenic, wild section of the whole AT, so why not save it for last? Katahdin is perhaps the most spectacular mountain on the east coast, and the perfect place to finish the AT.

Kirby
12-12-2007, 20:49
The only difference between them is how the information is structured. The Handbook gives all the trail stats in the front, and refers you to a page in the back for more information, the Companion has this all mixed in together. I have not seen the Appalachian Pages, so I can not comment on how that is set up.

Kirby

The Mechanical Man
12-13-2007, 20:43
When you refer to the "Northern Tip".................................

Do you mean Mt. Katahdin, Maine?

Just so we are all on the same page...... of that "FREE" book.

hehe

warraghiyagey
12-13-2007, 20:46
Yess he does and for those who NEED to be technical it's known as the northern terminus. DC80, northern tip'll do just fine. In fact I might start calling it that all the time just to throw the 'perfectionists' a curve.

The Mechanical Man
12-13-2007, 20:53
Now that you know it's only 30$ to be a member, don't be cheap, join the club for the good of the trail.
It is time for all hikers to start volunteering some time, and help out too, and I am not talking just at trail days.
Membership and volunteer numbers are in decline, step up, and do something about it.
I have actually had thru-hikers visiting with me that do not know who Ed Garvey, or Earl Shaffer is!

Pretty SAD :confused:

warraghiyagey
12-13-2007, 20:57
Now that you know it's only 30$ to be a member, don't be cheap, join the club for the good of the trail.
It is time for all hikers to start volunteering some time, and help out too, and I am not talking just at trail days. . .

Pretty SAD :confused:
Another good message sullied with an abrasive delivery.

The Mechanical Man
12-13-2007, 21:00
The poor guy thought it cost $600.00 to join ATC, read back in his posts.

And quit complaining, or no magic for you !

hehe

DC80
12-14-2007, 03:39
I heard it was a 600 dollar lifetime membership, and I thought it was 100 per year. I guess I don't really get their membership costs since they don't associate each cost with a certain level of membership. They need to clear that up on their page.

Anywho yea, I do want to go to Katahdin and hike SOBO through VT? What is the mileage to there?

Lone Wolf
12-14-2007, 03:44
Anywho yea, I do want to go to Katahdin and hike SOBO through VT? What is the mileage to there?

591 miles

warraghiyagey
12-14-2007, 03:51
591 most excellent miles!!!