PDA

View Full Version : deoderant?

amanda810
12-12-2007, 02:41
from what i'm reading, it seems like there are no thru-hikers that wear deoderant. is this the case? if so, is it because it is that entirely ineffective? or is it merely due to an authenticity issue, weight issue, etc?

if you did wear deoderant... what unscented brand did you find worked the best?

thanks!

The Mechanical Man
12-12-2007, 03:34
I am not sure why you insist on carrying and wearing deoderant, you will be be glad to just wash up with just water most days, and you will get used to being stinky.
You could put the smelly good stuff in your bounce box, and send it ahead to the next PO-town maildrop.
While on the trail, I prefer Coghlan's 50 plus sportsman soap, its a mild, and biodegradable, coconut oil concentrate.
http://www.coghlans.com/catalogue/productList.php?catID=13
I just put a few drops on my washtowel, a small amount of water on the towel, instant bathtime anywhere.
It also make my socks smell good, no matter how bad they were before washing! And that's saying something.:D

warraghiyagey
12-12-2007, 03:37
from what i'm reading, it seems like there are no thru-hikers that wear deoderant. is this the case? if so, is it because it is that entirely ineffective? or is it merely due to an authenticity issue, weight issue, etc?

if you did wear deoderant... what unscented brand did you find worked the best?

thanks!

Apologies for jumping in Amanda and my sister hikers, but I do carry deoderant at times on the trail. Sometimes we change up hygiene like we change up dinner options.
But I always carry a little vial of patchouli, seems more effectiveonthe trail than deoderant. But for surcase the girls seem overall more aware of their hygiene than the boys. If you don't wear any your hiking companions likely won't notice and town stops have a way of making all better in that category.:)

Marta
12-12-2007, 04:48
I started off without deodorant but got sick of my own smell after a couple of months. Type--whatever was in the travel-sized bin in the little drug store in Green Lake, NY. It had a scent, but after the way I'd been smelling, the scent was positively enjoyable.

At home I'm usually quite repelled by scented laundry detergents, too, but while I was hiking, the perfumes really improved the smell of my clothing.

gumball
12-12-2007, 06:38
I haven't thrued yet, but have done many long distance sections. I don't use deodorant at all. We all smell bad and after awhile, I don't think anyone notices. And yes, its one more piece of weight in my pack I don't want to have to carry.

But to each his own. Gum

highway
12-12-2007, 08:15
I cleaned a tiny bottle of one-use hand cleaner and filled it with Mitchum roll-on, unscented, deodorant. I cut the top off the deodorant and then poured it into the little vial using a very small funnel and then applied it to my underarms by putting just a drop on my index fingers and smearing it onto my opposing underarms areas. It is a strong deodorant and really lasts. I only used it after a shower, though, whenever I could get one.

I keep it in a clear plastic container with screw down top, cleaned that once held some Badia spice or bacon bits that I had finished. Also inside the container I carry a toothbrush, a plastic disposable razor with extra blades (handles cut so as to fit inside the clear container), small vial of baking soda for toothpaste, a small vial of liquid soap. Around the outside of the container I put a few turns of GI 100 MPH duct tape.

The Badia spice containers are very strong, watertight with the screw-on top and quite convenient. Plus, they are free, after consuming the contents first. being clear it is easy to see what is inside them. I use another for my first aid container.

Size: cylinder shape, 4 3/4" high, 2" diameter, weight (filled with all the above) 3.84 ounces

I keep thinking i will eliminate the liquid soap, though and take off at least 2 of those ounces as i always seem to find a partially used bar of soap to use instead of using my liquid one. In fact, I believe the partially used soap bar is a better, lighter, cheaper, alternative to liquid. But, I am male, and I keep my hair very short so shampoo is not an issue for me, as it would be for someone having longer hair.

Roots
12-12-2007, 08:23
Thanks Marta for your input on this thread. It's nice to see someone else is like me in this area. I just get plain sick of the hiker funk on my clothes and me. I have to have something. I was planning on a small travel size to take with me. :)

Lone Wolf
12-12-2007, 08:25
i haven't used deodorant for 25 years. on or off the trail

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-12-2007, 08:42
I'm a section hiker so I'm not out there for months. if you plan to be, I suggest what Marta says. If you are a fellow section hiker, alcohol gel (something you should already be carrying for after potty use) applied to the pits will keep down the odor for a couple of weeks... maybe longer but I haven't tried that.

nitewalker
12-12-2007, 09:42
if you bring babywipes you can bathe everyday..i dont leave home without them. the deodarant always stays home and never gets to go on a hike. i suppose if i did bring some it would be of the travel size, any flavor.... sometimes i wish they made deodarant for the fartsack i sleep in. some of those mornings after a good meal are just loaded if you know what i mean, filled with that pungent aroma that arises thru the early morning bag warmth....lol, nitewalker

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-12-2007, 09:45
::: Dino peeks over trifocals at Nitewalker's fart post and reminds him this is the women's forum :::

Smile
12-12-2007, 11:02
Women's and men's deodorant needs are completely different. I guess that is why she posted in the women's forum. :)

Roots
12-12-2007, 11:11
Women's and men's deodorant needs are completely different. I guess that is why she posted in the women's forum. :)

Exactly!! :)

envirodiver
12-12-2007, 12:02
I'm a guy, but I still don't like to build up too much of a funk. I carry a bit of Rubbing alcohol on all hikes for many uses including feet and underarms. It also keeps down the stink by keeping the odor causing bacteria at bay. Don't need much and refrain from using it for extended periods to ensure that it doesn't dry the skin out too much.

take-a-knee
12-12-2007, 12:16
i haven't used deodorant for 25 years. on or off the trail

Neither do I, I have noticed that antibacterial soaps like safeguard keep the BO away a little longer than regular soap. Anti persperants aren't healthy IMO and applying deodorant on funky body is not really helping anything. These new anti bacterial underwear might be worth investigating. Some have silver impregnated in the fabric (silver is highly bacteriocidal). You'll still have to clean your body of course but if this stuff works it might make field cleaning of your underwear a little more effective.

highway
12-12-2007, 12:32

So, just when is BO not BO?:D

I kinda thought it was an after-thought peculiar to both sexes...as in... after a long period of time after heavy exertion when one could not cleanse one's body for "X" amount of days.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-12-2007, 12:33
....Rubbing alcohol on all hikes for many uses including feet and underarms. It also keeps down the stink by keeping the odor causing bacteria at bay. Don't need much and refrain from using it for extended periods to ensure that it doesn't dry the skin out too much.Using an alcohol gel with moisturizer eliminates the concerns about frequent use and dryness. I used rubbing alky in the past (before Alky gel was available) and remember it being very hard on the skin.

oldfivetango
12-12-2007, 12:34
I have and frequently use an unscented deodorant crystal
sold under the name "Naturally Fresh" which is recommened
for both underarm use as well as the feet(and some other places:D )
which is most effective for promoting dryness and keeping down the
odor.I am reasonably sure it contains aluminum salts so if you are an
aluminum phobic you might want to consider that.

The impression I have gleaned from WB is that the whole "no deodorant"
thing is about any unnatural odor which might attract Mr BEAR plus the
ultralight fringe types who would just as soon stink anyway.

My "crystal" has been used enough that it would weigh about an ounce
now and that is enough for months more use.Anything you can use to keep
your feet dry would have to have some postitive results I would think.

To stink or not to stink-that is the question.:banana
Oldfivetango

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-12-2007, 12:35
So, just when is BO not BO?:D Women have additional issues with BO due to hormone differences so what works for you fellows may not work well at all for pre-menopausal women.

Marta
12-12-2007, 12:46
I decided that if Mr. Bear came calling I would gladly give him my anti-persperant to eat. In the future he would probably give hikers a wide berth.

Blissful
12-12-2007, 13:16
I went without for the hike (everyone else smelled bad too) but in town I had deodorant in my bounce box and it was nice to put it on.

take-a-knee
12-12-2007, 13:24
Using an alcohol gel with moisturizer eliminates the concerns about frequent use and dryness. I used rubbing alky in the past (before Alky gel was available) and remember it being very hard on the skin.

That can be a good thing for your feet, you don't want soft skin on your feet.

Pennsylvania Rose
12-12-2007, 13:37
I don't use deodorant when hiking - it doesn't do any good. We clean up with baby wipes every night instead.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-12-2007, 13:38
That can be a good thing for your feet, you don't want soft skin on your feet.Dryness can cause calluses to crack open - and that is really not a good thing. While I would not want to moisturize my feet several times a day, the limited amount in the amount of alky gel necessary to control foot odor shouldn't be a problem IMO.

Spirit Walker
12-12-2007, 13:40
When I sweat, I don't sweat just in my armpits, I sweat everywhere, especially my back where the pack is resting. Deodorant isn't going to stop that, unless I cover myself all over. My stink comes from my clothes, my pack, my feet, my shoes. . . Deodorant blocks the pores - a good way to get an infection when it's hot and humid. Deodorant smells - making you more attractive to bears, bees and mosquitoes. So no - I don't use deodorant on the trail.

Minerva
12-12-2007, 18:24
Amanda810,
Let's face it or "smell" it, most long distance hikers reek. :eek: They've been wearing the same clothes for hundreds if not thousands of miles. Not only their clothes but their packs, shoes, stuff sacks, everything reeks!!!

If one of my dogs had ever smelled that bad I wouldn't let them in the house.They'd get a doggy bath right away. Why should a human smell that bad when they don't have to?

Deodorant works. Use it. By the time you reach Harpers Ferry find some Lysol Spray which works to kill the bacteria causing odors on both your trail shoes and pack (hit the back and shoulder straps).

I think you'll feel better about yourself and how others perceive you because you're not gonna make them gag from the smell. The extra 2.5 ounces will be worth it. Bring deodorant even if you only use it for town stops.
MrsG

dessertrat
12-12-2007, 18:32
Baby wipes and Everclear in a pint bottle have so many uses.

1) You can use them for washing or disinfecting wounds.

2) You can use them to jumpstart wood fires.

3) You can burn the Everclear in an alcohol stove.

4) You can use the wipes, plus half/half everclear and water, for bathing.

5) You can drink the Everclear mixed with gatorade, and you won't care how much you stink or whether you've cooked anything or made a fire, or what gets infected.

Montego
12-12-2007, 18:59
Depends on whether your talking about anti-perspirant, or anti-deodorant. Anti-perspirant is designed to prevent perspiration which helps defeat the bodies natural cooling system of cooling through evaporation. Not good if your hot.

If Your talking about anti-deodorant then an anti-deodorant won't do much to mask the "stink" unless you only persire in the pits where anti-deodorant is usualy used.

IMHO it is better to take additional "baby wipes" to help keep clean, especially before being around non-hiking people, than an anti-deodorant/anti-perspirant (balanceing weights here).

Jack Tarlin
12-12-2007, 19:03
Once again, folks, this is the FEMALE Hiking Forum. Please respect this.......
if you're a guy.

Montego
12-12-2007, 19:05
My apologies if I offended anyone with my thoughts :(

Smile
12-12-2007, 19:36
Its not that people are offended, it's just that guys can't keep themselves from checking out this forum - no problem, but it keeps this WB'er from posting very often in here. Just not the subject matter I feel comfy discussing online with guys.

A man's body odor and deodorant advice has nothing to do with Amanda810's request to discuss this with other women and request their female experiences regarding the use of deodorants :)

Auntie Mame
12-12-2007, 22:29
Mrs Gorp and Marta, I also really appreciate having access to the supplies that make smelling really foul, unnecessary. I question making a norm out of neglected personal cleanliness. I like the practical ideas from the Dino, and others. Thanks, folks. Mame

4eyedbuzzard
12-13-2007, 00:51
Baby wipes and Everclear in a pint bottle have so many uses.

1) You can use them for washing or disinfecting wounds.

2) You can use them to jumpstart wood fires.

3) You can burn the Everclear in an alcohol stove.

4) You can use the wipes, plus half/half everclear and water, for bathing.

5) You can drink the Everclear mixed with gatorade, and you won't care how much you stink or whether you've cooked anything or made a fire, or what gets infected.

I haven't met a lot hikers miles from the nearest bar or liquor store that would waste perfectly good Everclear on numbers 1 thru 4.

River Runner
12-13-2007, 01:06
When I'm hiking hard and long, I am so covered with sweat everywhere that a little deodorant under the pits doesn't do a thing to mask odor. Washing off with Doctor Bronner's peppermint soap at night & wearing wool base layers is much more helpful than deodorant.

For town stops (as a section hiker), a little deodorant is a good thing.

NorthCountryWoods
12-13-2007, 07:17
Wife still always carries something. It's changed over the years, so now she just brings essential oils and sometimes the salt crystal. She also cleans with homemade baby wipes every night before getting into her bag.

I have to say there is a noticable difference between the 2 of us after a week on the trail.

Marta
12-13-2007, 07:35
To expand on Mrs. Gorp's thoughts...yes, it is possible to stay fairly clean on the Trail. It does take some work.

I used anti-perspirant, but also took sponge baths (usually water only; no soap), augmented by patting down with Purell. I stopped in town quite a bit along the middle part of the Trail, and always did laundry--and often included my shoes and Superfeet in the load. During the warm weather, I often rinsed out my clothes--shirt, shorts, bra, and socks--and put them back on wet, rather than go without washing them.

Really this kind of stuff is just a habit. I have the habit from years of running a household. One of my friends is a Vietnam vet who has the habit from his years in the military. He always shaves in the morning, for instance, no matter where he is, figuring if he could do it in Vietnam, he can do it while rafting in the Grand Canyon.

One other point--after the weather got cold, I forgot about all this bathing stuff. It was too freaking unpleasant to even strip down, let alone touch cold water to my body. I still used anti-perspirant, though.

maxNcathy
12-13-2007, 08:51
I use a small bar of sandalwood soap and two small sponges..takes 3 minutes-less in frosty temperatures, for a top to bottom sponge bath..feels good and smells great too.
I quick wash my T shirt and shorts and socks in a plastic bag...water plus detergent/soap, SHAKE vigorously till smell has subsided, rinse in bag,hang to dry or wear.

Sandalwood

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-13-2007, 09:04
.......... wearing the same clothes for hundreds if not thousands of miles. Not only their clothes but their packs, shoes, stuff sacks, everything reeks!!!.......Deodorant works. Use it. .....find some Lysol Spray which works to kill the bacteria causing odors on both your trail shoes and pack (hit the back and shoulder straps).

...yes, it is possible to stay fairly clean on the Trail. It does take some work.......anti-perspirant.... sponge baths (usually water only; no soap), augmented by patting down with Purell. I stopped in town quite a bit along the middle part of the Trail, and always did laundry--and often included my shoes and Superfeet in the load. During the warm weather, I often rinsed out my clothes--shirt, shorts, bra, and socks--and put them back on wet, rather than go without washing them.

One other point--after the weather got cold, I forgot about all this bathing stuff. It was too freaking unpleasant to even strip down, let alone touch cold water to my body. I still used antiperspirant, though.Thank you Marta and Mrs. Gorp for coming here and taking the time to tell us how it done. These ladies have many, many trail miles under their soles - listen to them.

Pennsylvania Rose
12-13-2007, 10:35
find some Lysol Spray which works to kill the bacteria causing odors on both your trail shoes and pack (hit the back and shoulder straps).

I quick wash my T shirt and shorts and socks in a plastic bag...water plus detergent/soap, SHAKE vigorously till smell has subsided, rinse in bag,hang to dry or wear.
Sandalwood

Really good ideas - don't know why I never thought of them.

Another option for on-trail clothes washing is to take along the bottom half of a gallon milk jug to use as a "sink". Weighs next to nothing, can also be used to gather water. I washed many a cloth diaper that way.

Marta
12-13-2007, 10:51
I use a small bar of sandalwood soap and two small sponges..takes 3 minutes-less in frosty temperatures, for a top to bottom sponge bath..feels good and smells great too.

Sandalwood

I did this a few times and it works great...until my plastic bags deteriorated. Then it's race against time as soapy water spouts vigorously out of the holes in the bag. It became kind of a game.:D

Really good ideas - don't know why I never thought of them.

Another option for on-trail clothes washing is to take along the bottom half of a gallon milk jug to use as a "sink". Weighs next to nothing, can also be used to gather water. I washed many a cloth diaper that way.

On the JMT, when I had to carry a bear canister anyway, I used that as a wash tub. That is the deluxe backcountry laundry machine.

wakapak
12-13-2007, 11:49
Some really great ideas here that I wish I knew of during my first thru. However, l learned, and on my second time around I carried baby wipes to wipe down with at least once a day (usually once I made camp at ite) but in the hotter summer days I would wipe down during some of my stops. I didn't carry deodorant with me, but did make a point to clean up best I could before going into town. Maybe this is why I was the one put on the roads to hitch all the time during my second thru!!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-13-2007, 11:51
I did this a few times and it works great...until my plastic bags deteriorated. Then it's race against time as soapy water spouts vigorously out of the holes in the bag. It became kind of a game.:D Laundry and a shower at the same time - Marta amazes me with her efficiency :D

Swirlingmist
12-13-2007, 15:26

The milkjug sounds like a practical (and portable) solution to laundry on the trail. What did you use cloth diapers for?

Swirlingmist
12-13-2007, 15:43
Wife still always carries something. It's changed over the years, so now she just brings essential oils and sometimes the salt crystal. She also cleans with homemade baby wipes every night before getting into her bag.

I have to say there is a noticable difference between the 2 of us after a week on the trail.

I can envision a similar story for myself once I'm married since I know my hygeinic routine differs from that of my boyfriend on short camping trips (and can only imagine how that will be emphasized once on the trail together). Baby wipes, some oil, and the crystal sound like efficient self-care. BTW, does your wife have a receipe for her homemade baby wipes?

NorthCountryWoods
12-13-2007, 16:04
BTW, does your wife have a receipe for her homemade baby wipes?

I'll get the exact measurements from her.

I think it's lavender oil, soap and some kinda lotion. It's all natural, I know that. She mixes it up, cuts cotton cloths into 4 inch squares, dips them in the solution and then lets them dry out. Puts them in a ziploc and then actives them with warm water at camp.

oldfivetango
12-13-2007, 16:45
if you're a guy.

Really Jack!Isn't this the 21st century we're in now?
So do we have a "guys only"forum in here?I doubt it.
Personally,I am OFFENDED by the elitelst sexist notion of a
"Ladies Only" anything.I mean just look at the all the stink
that happened about the guys only aspect of The Augusta National
Golf Course for crying out loud.Are ya with me gents?:D
I vote for equality and an end to sexism!
Oldfivetango

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-13-2007, 16:46
::: Dino whacks O5T with her oh-so-feminine tail :::

NorthCountryWoods
12-13-2007, 17:16
if you're a guy.

This mean we can't post?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-13-2007, 17:20
This area is for discusion of problems ladies have while hiking and women's issues. Men are welcome to post, but we ask that they refrain from making crude comments.

Farr Away
12-13-2007, 18:02
I don't long-distance hike yet. That said, I carry baking soda. Multi use item - deodorant, toothpaste, first aid (stings). Probably some other things I'm forgetting.

sweetpeastu
12-13-2007, 18:11
I have and frequently use an unscented deodorant crystal
sold under the name "Naturally Fresh" which is recommened
for both underarm use as well as the feet(and some other places:D )
which is most effective for promoting dryness and keeping down the
odor.I am reasonably sure it contains aluminum salts so if you are an
aluminum phobic you might want to consider that.

Hey I've used the crystal salt th ing too...and I like it. Only the one I use says it DOES NOT CONTAIN ALUMINUM...which is good cause I'm one of those aluminnum phobic types.

At the moment, I've not been able to use the thing enough to get it to an acceptable weight so I don't backpack with it.

I do however use a travel size tube of Old Spice deoderant --it SMELLS...and after hiking it smells great....so far no bears have come to chew on me....I oftentimes forget to use the stuff though so backpacking with deoderant is not always worthwhile...

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-13-2007, 18:17
.... baking soda. Multi use item - deodorant, toothpaste, first aid (stings). Probably some other things I'm forgetting.Works well for washing bodies, dishes and laundry - I carry it instead of soap. Totally environmentally safe - breaks down rapidly into carbon dioxide and water.

Swirlingmist
12-13-2007, 20:11
I'll get the exact measurements from her.

I think it's lavender oil, soap and some kinda lotion. It's all natural, I know that. She mixes it up, cuts cotton cloths into 4 inch squares, dips them in the solution and then lets them dry out. Puts them in a ziploc and then actives them with warm water at camp.

Thanks! Sounds simple enough and a great idea.

Swirlingmist
12-13-2007, 20:36
Really Jack!Isn't this the 21st century we're in now?
So do we have a "guys only"forum in here?I doubt it.
Personally,I am OFFENDED by the elitelst sexist notion of a
"Ladies Only" anything.I mean just look at the all the stink
that happened about the guys only aspect of The Augusta National
Golf Course for crying out loud.Are ya with me gents?:D
I vote for equality and an end to sexism!
Oldfivetango

The century we live in does not change the fundamental truth that men and women are different. Since this thread was created spicifically for women to discuss things that relate to them on the trail, it makes sense to label it "Women Only" to keep the focus from shifting to other issues. I'm curious what prompts you to read that as elitist/sexist?

River Runner
12-13-2007, 22:06
The milkjug sounds like a practical (and portable) solution to laundry on the trail. What did you use cloth diapers for?

Another thing that works really well as a sink is one of the large glad bowls with lids. They weigh 2-4 oz (depending on size) and the lid makes them a little more useful for other things like carrying extra water back from a spring down over the hill, or storing food I don't want crushed. The lid can also be put to use as a plate of sorts.

oldfivetango
12-14-2007, 09:00
The century we live in does not change the fundamental truth that men and women are different. Since this thread was created spicifically for women to discuss things that relate to them on the trail, it makes sense to label it "Women Only" to keep the focus from shifting to other issues. I'm curious what prompts you to read that as elitist/sexist?

The term"Ladies Only" what if it said "Men Only" or "WASP Only"?
Aren't we advanced enough as a society to put all this "only"
business to rest?

And,yes,my wife just left for her "ladies only" gym.Bet I couldn't start
a mens only gym around here without an outcry.(not that I would want to)
Oldfivetango

dixicritter
12-14-2007, 09:06
business to rest?

Oldfivetango

OFT, You have been asked nicely twice now to refrain from such posts in this forum. I'm now asking you to knock it off, you are dragging this thread off topic with your ranting. If you can't stay on topic I will ban you from this forum.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-14-2007, 09:07
business to rest?

OldfivetangoO5T, if you want to discuss the appropriateness of having this forum, please start the discussion in 'Forum Help Topics'. This forum is for women to discuss issue that are unique to women and to discuss sensitive topics (like crotch chafing, etc.) without having to put up with crude comments.

Marta
12-14-2007, 09:29
business to rest?

Oldfivetango

1) This subject was explored to the point of exhaustion when this forum was created.

2) You (as a man) are not forbidden to participate in the forum but you are forbidden to drag the subject in directions not congenial to the female posters. A similar forum is the dog forum--dog-haters are not forbidden to read it, but they are forbidden to start discussions of the appropriateness of hiking with dogs.

How do you like that analogy?:D

Christopher Robin
12-17-2007, 20:05
Another thing that works really well as a sink is one of the large glad bowls with lids. They weigh 2-4 oz (depending on size) and the lid makes them a little more useful for other things like carrying extra water back from a spring down over the hill, or storing food I don't want crushed. The lid can also be put to use as a plate of sorts.
I also find a calpasable bowl for storring food in the suppermarket with can be use for the same porpuse, & fit flat in the pack.

Pennsylvania Rose
12-18-2007, 10:58
What did you use cloth diapers for?

My kids wore cloth diapers rather than disposable ones. In the woods I washed them in hot water with Dr. B's, rinsed well, and hung them on the back of our packs to dry. We took a couple of disposables with us on multi-night trips in case of lots of rain, diaper rash, etc. It's not for everyone, but worked well for us.