PDA

View Full Version : New guy chiming in recent trip

NorthCountryWoods
12-12-2007, 09:35
Hello all. First post for me and the wife. I've been hiking since a child (25+ years) and she's been hiking since we met (11+ years). These posts will almost always refer to "we", as we rarely do anything alone. "We" also includes our dog Junior, a pound mutt that has proven to be the worst dog on the planet, but for some reason we still love him. However, we have yet to complete a thru hike. We've done the whole LT in pieces and could probably get the certificate, but will wait til we do it all together. Have completed the AT in Maine (minus Baxter), New Hampshire, VT, Mass, CT, and Virginia. One of these days we might tie them all together.

To business:
Snowshoes and crampons are a must this year from now til spring. Unless we get a major thaw. The snow is piling up. :banana

The wife and I just got back from an extended weekend in the north. Codding Hollow Road in Waterville to VT Route 242 in Westfield. Stuck to the trail (I think) most of the time, but got sidetracked/lost a couple times. Devils Gulch and Hazens notch were tough and slowed us way down. Saw one hunter and a couple snowmobiliers in the notch but no one else. Muzzleloader season ended Sunday and the VAST trails opens this weekend. We were lucky to get 5-8 miles a day, but we take our time.

Snowshoes and crampons, ice axes and all the heavy winter stuff was necessary. We need warmer bags tho. Bibler Eldorado with vestibule worked awesome. Really kept out the wind. Broke the stove the 2nd day and cooked caveman style for the rest of the trip. We usually don't winter camp til January when it's -20 at night so this was more enjoyable.

Awesome time....if you're prepared.

p.s. Afraid this might be the last winter hike for good old Junior. He's creeping on 12 years old and doesn't handle the cold well anymore.:(

Lone Wolf
12-12-2007, 09:38
where do you live? i lived in jay for 10 winters. made snow at jay peak

Hooch
12-12-2007, 09:39
:welcome Welcome to WhiteBlaze!:welcome

NorthCountryWoods
12-12-2007, 09:40
Westfield/Jeffersonville/Burlington....it's a long story.

JAK
12-12-2007, 09:41
Welcome NorthCountryWoods.
Nice to get an early start on winter eh.
So far I have only shovelled snow and walked to work.
Envy.

NorthCountryWoods
12-12-2007, 09:45
Welcome NorthCountryWoods.
Nice to get an early start on winter eh.
So far I have only shovelled snow and walked to work.
Envy.

Gotta make up for last year.

NorthCountryWoods
01-01-2008, 10:19
Correction- Bibler I-Tent, not Eldorado.

mudhead
01-01-2008, 10:34
You due to be graced with the weather later today?

I sprayed the shovels, the coast of Maine is going to get the wet, heavy stuff.

4eyedbuzzard
01-01-2008, 11:43
:welcome

from across the river in Monroe, NH just across from Barnet and St. Johnsbury. Lots of white stuff early this year, but the temps have been very nice - so far. I'm hoping to hike some on the LT this coming summer. Maybe I'll see ya out there.

Tinker
01-01-2008, 14:35
Greetings from a fellow section hiker and completer of the LT and most of AT in New England. Too bad about your old dog. Life gets harder for all of us as we grow older. We need to be thankful for each new day.
I would love to live in the woods along the AT or LT, but my commitment here is to my church, and they won't come with me!:D