PDA

View Full Version : My Shoftshell Ripped, Repair Advice Needed

UCONNMike
12-12-2007, 09:57
I took a fall the other night riding my biek hoem in the rain, and I cut a half dollar sized hole in teh sleeve of my shoftshell jacket. I love this ject, I've have it for several years, it's light weight, keeps me warm, cuts down the wind, etc...and I can't stand to buy a new one. Any advice for how to repair a tear in a shoftshell???? Can I just sew teh hole up with regular thread? Do i need to go buy one of those little circles of fabric to put in the place f teh hole and sew itinto teh jeacket? I am not totally in teh dark when it comes to sewing, I can fix a button, etc, but worst case I have a neighbor who said she coudl help. Please take me through the process, as I relize that the fabric the jeacket is made of and teh conditions I use it in prob dictates a ceratin method of repair.

Thanks!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-12-2007, 11:22
Have not done this, but will make a suggestion based on having patched many little-boy knee holes :D -- Because nylon ravels so easily, I would put a piece of nylon inside the jacket sleeve and sew up the hole thru both the fabric of the original jacket and the material behind the hole. This should keep the sewing from pulling out due to raveling

Mags
12-12-2007, 11:32
Have you tried contacting the manufacturer? They may have some input. Some manufacturers may even offer to repair it for free.

UCONNMike
12-12-2007, 11:58
Thanks FD, I figured that might be teh solution...I'll wait adn see if anyother input comes in before I attempt, but your concept is where I'm leaning.

Mags - I bought this jacket back in 2004 from EMS, any experience with them on returns...I don't think I have much of a shot, EMS is no REI as far as odd returns. I know I'll prob get a few, just buy a new jacket for that admission of jacket age, but I'm attached to it. It's seen many adventures

Mags
12-12-2007, 12:00
Mags - I bought this jacket back in 2004 from EMS, any experience with them on returns...I don't think I have much of a shot, EMS is no REI as far as odd returns. I know I'll prob get a few, just buy a new jacket for that admission of jacket age, but I'm attached to it. It's seen many adventures

Understandable. It still may be worth contacting them to get repair suggestions, though. (Don't use this thread, we suggest this material, etc.)

jrwiesz
12-13-2007, 06:53
I would contact the manufacturer first, then do the self-repair route. Try self-adhesive rip-stop repair kit that may be found at many outfitters, maybe Wallyworld, etc. I would try applying patches from both the interior of the fabric and then on the exterior. Many colors now available. I patched an old North Face down rip-stop vest with tear holes in it with surprising success, outer surface patch only, works for me. Good luck. Eventually all gear becomes old, but still usable and utilitarian.