PDA

View Full Version : GPS Delorme Earthmate

2009ThruHiker
12-12-2007, 10:24
I am considering a purchase of the Delorme Earthmate, and I'm interested in anyone's experiences with this unit.

Cuffs
12-12-2007, 10:27
Delorme has made great software for several years. Just now venturing into the handheld gps market (they made computer attached devices which run well)

If you want to take a gps on the trail, i would seriously consider any Garmin X model (has an X in the name) They have by far the best coverage in the woods/leaf cover.

ki0eh
12-12-2007, 10:32
When I got the unit, it would not accept any data, Delorme after 7 contacts sent me a new SD card and it works now.

Supplied battery refused to hold a charge upon the third use, fortunately it takes AA batteries so that keeps me going now.

Battery life is short relative to a Garmin 60CSx that was since lent to me for volunteer use.

Topo map details are lacking compared to the Garmin loaded with topo maps. The Garmin 60CSx acquires and holds signal much faster and better.

There is a free program "DNR Garmin" that will transform Garmin data to a Google Earth file, GPX exchange file, or GIS shapefile. Such transformation requires much more fiddling with other software with the DeLorme.

The only advantage of the DeLorme Earthmate PN-20 vs. the Garmin 60CSx is price. Well, and it's yellow too so harder to lose.

I would not buy the DeLorme again, but YMMV.

Also check out the forums on geocaching.com they talk quite a bit about "GPSr's" as they abbreviate the term "GPS receivers."

WalkinHome
12-12-2007, 14:41
There is a great web site for almost anything electronic and that is gpspassion.com check it out

Cuffs
12-12-2007, 14:49
OMG!!! Walmart (online only) has the 60CSx for $320 AND a $50 rebate after that!!!

Offer ends Dec. 31st, so hurry (this is a deal!!!!!)

Chip Noble
12-13-2007, 19:05
So this post was passed around the office because we're trying real hard to help anyone using the PN-20 and Topo to get the most out of their purchase. I wanted to check in to see what I can do to help ki0eh if he still has the PN-20. I manage the design department and worked on the PN-20 and Topo... It's disappointing that we missed the mark for you. We're hoping that our map quality is seen to be better than our competitors and it doesn't sound like you found that to be the case. If you're interested, I'd like to hear more about your experience... what you're looking for in a GPS and how we might improve things with future versions of software and hardware.

Thanks,

Chip Noble
DeLorme

[email protected] ([email protected])

Painted Turtle
12-13-2007, 19:15
I just got the PN-20 (12/9/07) So far I think I may have made a mistake my old Garmin etrex was probably good enough, but time will tell. Also the wrong time of year to give it a real work out.

ki0eh
12-14-2007, 09:51
Naah... when the leaves are off is when GPS season begins for me!

Also I'll assemble my thoughts and send something from home when I get a chance to the fellow from DeLorme. It's good to see someone looking for constructive feedback on their products. Certainly I look for feedback for many things I do, often without finding it - even on the Internet, the ultimate "glass house." Send me an e-mail to remind me next week if I don't get to it by then.

2009ThruHiker
12-14-2007, 17:56
Well, despite the above comments, i've found some pretty good reviews on the PN-20, and I've decided to go ahead with my purchase. If anyone is interested, there is some special pricing if you call Delorme tonight before 8pm.

Slosteppin
12-16-2007, 23:05
I bought the PN-20 through the registered Users program. I really would like to load the Topo maps but I have a problem.
I installed the Topo USA 7.0 program and it seemed ok - until I tried to use it. when I clicked on 'start a new project I got a blue screen dump (this is very hard to recover from) and the computer quit. tried twice more with the same result. then I uninstalled the program and installed it again. Then tried again with the same result. I sent a note to DeLorme Customer service Friday. Hope they answer soon.

I've been using Street Atlas for several years, with less problems with each version.

I've been using Garmins for several years and now starting to wonder if I made a mistake.

Slosteppin

So this post was passed around the office because we're trying real hard to help anyone using the PN-20 and Topo to get the most out of their purchase. I wanted to check in to see what I can do to help ki0eh if he still has the PN-20. I manage the design department and worked on the PN-20 and Topo... It's disappointing that we missed the mark for you. We're hoping that our map quality is seen to be better than our competitors and it doesn't sound like you found that to be the case. If you're interested, I'd like to hear more about your experience... what you're looking for in a GPS and how we might improve things with future versions of software and hardware.

Thanks,

Chip Noble
DeLorme

[email protected] ([email protected])