PDA

View Full Version : southbound in oct

toastyjosh
12-12-2007, 15:51
So I am most likely going to start sountbound on oct 3rd or so, I am curious to see what people have to say about that. I will be pretty tight and rough going and cold the whole dam time I know that. So tell me what you think.:-?

Marta
12-12-2007, 15:52
I hope you really like to be alone.

It'll be tough getting through northern New England, too.

Good luck!

sasquatch2014
12-12-2007, 16:31
Well I would say that that may be pushing it for a late start but then I saw that you are posting from Gunnison Co. that has to be one of the coldest spots on the planet. It was once part of my sales region and I can recall days where hitting the negitive teens was a high temp. I do second the idea that you better like the solitutude you will be the only one on sections for I would guess weeks at a time. You may want to check on avarage conditions through the Whites based on your time frames. It could get a bit dicey there.

warraghiyagey
12-12-2007, 17:37
If cold weather hiking is your thing - go for it and enjoy. I wonder about traversing the Whites though for sure - could be verry sketchy as well as Southern Maine.

take-a-knee
12-12-2007, 17:41
If you are a skilled cold weather camper, go for it. Be advised that 100mph winds are common in the Whites from late OCT on into the winter when a front moves through. I think Trauma, the Granite Gear guy, started in NOV so it has been done.

sasquatch2014
12-12-2007, 17:47
I would say that you should have something like YakTraks for better grip at that time of year. They really help and are light.

TinAbbey
12-12-2007, 17:56
yeah getting through the white's is the first thing i thought of as a challenge. it'd be november or so. but i'm sure it can be done.

Jack Tarlin
12-12-2007, 18:57
It takes most people 22-27 days to hike the Maine section, so this means you'll be going thru the Whites in late October, or more likely, early November.

Make sure you have proper gear and clothing, extra provisions, excellent map and compass skills, and be aware that many facilities will be closed for the season by the time you get there.

Things will improve for you after you are done with Vermont (you should reach the Mass. line just before December), but what other people have told you is correct: Do not underestimate the terrain or the weather in Northern New England.

Grammar Coach
12-12-2007, 19:01
yeah getting through the white's is the first thing i thought of as a challenge. it'd be november or so. but i'm sure it can be done.

whites, not white's

Jack Tarlin
12-12-2007, 19:05
Are you the same "Grammar Coach" who hangs out at Trailjournals being an ass and contributing nothing of any use.......or are you a new one?

Just curious. :D

Grammar Coach
12-12-2007, 19:08
I'm a new one...but I give that person credit...and strive to follow in his/her footsteps.

Jack Tarlin
12-12-2007, 19:11
Nah, you won't. At least not here.

This website actually has moderators who take out the trash now and again.

Deliberate trolling is discouraged here at Whiteblaze, as you'll eventually discover.

Bye.

mcstick
12-12-2007, 19:12
Proper names get capitalized.

Just a Hiker
12-12-2007, 19:14
So I am most likely going to start sountbound on oct 3rd or so, I am curious to see what people have to say about that. I will be pretty tight and rough going and cold the whole dam time I know that. So tell me what you think.:-?

I am not sure if your schedule permits this, but maybe you could do the stretch from Grafton Notch, ME to Glencliff, NH earlier in the year. Just a suggestion, because as others have stated, Maine and New Hampshire are no joke late in the year. Good luck! :)

Just Jim

RITBlake
12-12-2007, 19:16
I'm a new one...but I give that person credit...and strive to follow in his/her footsteps.

The last Grammar Coach we had was really annoying, looks you won't be much different. Nobody wants to be coached esp when they don't ask for it and it interupts the topic at hand, go away.

RITBlake
12-12-2007, 19:20
I give anyone credit for attempting a Fall/Winter sobo hike.

To me the toughest aspect of winter hiking is not the cold or the snow, but the length of day.

The walking is already more difficult because of snowy conditions but now you have to squeeze it in to a very short period of daylight. If you didn't get out of your bag until 8 or so you'd only have about 8 or so hours to walk. Subtract breaks, food, bathroom, water, shoe tying etc.. and you have even less time.

So is it doable? Sure. Will it be signifigantly harder then a normal thru hike? Yes.

Good luck! and stay warm!

Grammar Coach
12-12-2007, 19:23
When people complain about getting dumber after reading online forums...horrendous grammar/spelling has a lot to do with it. Formulate a rational thought, and be able to communicate it using relatively proper english. I guess no one cares about language anymore. Perhaps we should allow more relaxed standards for scientist's math too.

HYOH doesn't apply to grammar. There are many ways to hike a trail, but there are grammar RULES that should be followed if you wish to consider yourself an educated person. I'm not talking about typos, but blatant, common mistakes that should have been remedied in 4th grade.

Jack Tarlin
12-12-2007, 19:28
Speaking of rules, G.C. :

You should have said "English" and not "english".

Also; you're supposed to leave two spaces after a period, and not just one.

But feel free to come back when you can prove you're truly an educated person. :D

RITBlake
12-12-2007, 19:31
HYOH doesn't apply to grammar. There are many ways to hike a trail, but there are grammar RULES that should be followed if you wish to consider yourself an educated person. I'm not talking about typos, but blatant, common mistakes that should have been remedied in 4th grade.

I see you don't do much hiking. Nobody on the trail cares if you are a doctor or a bum. So being considered 'educated' just doesn't matter.

Stop hijacking the thread, there are winter sobo matters at hand.

Grammar Coach
12-12-2007, 19:34
Thanks Jack for pointing that out. We can learn from each other! I will work on that in the future. Any comments regarding the crux of my post though?

Miu
12-12-2007, 19:36
Perhaps we should allow more relaxed standards for scientist's math too.

scientists', not scientist's. You are referring to multiple non-specific scientists rather than a single scientist. :banana

RITBlake
12-12-2007, 19:36
Thanks Jack for pointing that out. We can learn from each other! I will work on that in the future. Any comments regarding the crux of my post though?

no one cares, start a thread to discuss grammar, this thread is about a winter sobo thru hike.

Just a Hiker
12-12-2007, 19:38

I've got some comments on your post, but a moderator will delete it!!:banana

Just Jim

thecaptain
12-12-2007, 19:38
G.C Your use of passive voice is annoying. How does that feel?

Jack Tarlin
12-12-2007, 19:39
The crux of your post, G.C., is that you're a pretentious troll.

And not even a very good one.

I suggest we ignore G.C.'s posts in the future, and let website administration deal with them if they become a problem.

When trolls aren't fed, they tend to look for sustenance elsewhere.

Move on folks, nothing to see here.

Marta
12-12-2007, 20:01
I give anyone credit for attempting a Fall/Winter sobo hike.

To me the toughest aspect of winter hiking is not the cold or the snow, but the length of day.

The walking is already more difficult because of snowy conditions but now you have to squeeze it in to a very short period of daylight. If you didn't get out of your bag until 8 or so you'd only have about 8 or so hours to walk. Subtract breaks, food, bathroom, water, shoe tying etc.. and you have even less time.

So is it doable? Sure. Will it be signifigantly harder then a normal thru hike? Yes.

Good luck! and stay warm!

I concur about the day-length issue.

There was a winter NOBO this year, Bookworm, who started in Georgia in October, I think. He might be a resource for you.

Another aspect of off-season hiking is that many of the normal resources, i.e., hiker hostels, are closed during the winter. It would be helpful for you to know which those are.

Frosty
12-12-2007, 20:14
there are grammar RULES that should be followed if you wish to consider yourself an educated person.Nope, there are no grammar rules, only grammar conventions. What you refer to as "rules" are merely the way it is generally done. (Rules would require a person or organization to enforce them, and of course there is not.)

Grammar conventions change through the years.

Very good writers and poets modify grammar conventions to suit their own needs, though most of us would do well to stick with what is generally acceptable in their formal communications.

BTW, a person is either educated or he is not, though I think you meant to say "intelligent", not "educated."

Using "good" grammar does not make an undeducated person educated, nor does using bad" grammar make an intelligent person unintelligent.

But basically, posting on the internet is like speech. If we were to write a formal letter, we would all write it carefully and proof it. But we are all merely conversing here, and spelling slips and grammar misses do not matter to us.

Every so often, though, a person comes along and thinks that by correcting the way another person speaks, or writes, or hikes, or whatever, he can come across somehow as more intelligent, more moral, more "good."

People see through this b.s. pretty easily, and I'm afraid everyone saw through you right away.

sasquatch2014
12-12-2007, 20:38
Let's stay on thread if possible and let the rest of the stuff dry up.

mudhead
12-12-2007, 20:55
What are you doing for entertainment in the Gunnison area this winter, as a point of reference?

Where is Mattthewski?

Blissful
12-12-2007, 21:02
Do your research on it, get prepared and have a good hike! I might suggest having a buddy along though.

(we met some guys a few years back that started in October SOBO and were in SNP in Jan. They were having a good hike)

toastyjosh
12-12-2007, 21:04
Thanks guys, What you guys are saying are the areas I have been thinking the most about. The whites will be the crux of the trail for sure. The good news is I have no problem winter camping. I will also be taking my girlfriend along who has good but limited experience, but she is from North dakota so can handle the cold. Should be fun:sun

woodsy
12-12-2007, 21:06
I think (I know) it started snowing in the elevations above 2,000 or so about mid October this year in Maine. Hasn't stopped much since. What kind of condition is your snow/cold weather gear in ? And how much experience do you have in steep slippery conditions?
Oh, hope my grammar is OK:D

toastyjosh
12-12-2007, 21:11
well this is of course weather dependent, if it dumps on me I will head south a bit. As far as wet nasty snow, yes I do have experience however it is not a lot of fun

woodsy
12-12-2007, 21:19
There was a guy from here by the name Firemountain who headed south from Maine this year in October, haven't heard from him since . Would be curious how he's making it or if he bailed. We're off to an early winter this year with temps down to 0 deg. at times already and a foot or two of snow up high.!! Did i mention the wind yet?

toastyjosh
12-12-2007, 21:41
If it gets that bad I will bail, I have been to maine before and almost got blown
off the big K. Thanks for the weather info that is the kind of stuff I am looking for.

mudhead
12-13-2007, 09:40
http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/car/

Your weather awaits. Been a bit screwy of late. They might be just yanking my chain.

sixhusbands
12-13-2007, 09:54
sounds like you will be fine. plan extra food..... good sunglasses are a must..... keep your food high ( the mice are very hungry this time of year and the scent carries much better in cold air).... take lots of pictures... and try not to sweat. sounds impossible but your pace will be crucial. I would figure on about 6 months to finish. have fun!

kayak karl
12-13-2007, 10:18
ROAD LESS TRAVELED Two roads diverged in a yellow wood And sorry I could not travel both And be one traveler, long I stood And looked down one as ar as I cold To where it bent in the undergrowth Then took the other as just as fair And having perhaps the better laim Because it was grassy and wanted wear Though as for that, the passing there Had worn them really about the same And both that morning equally lay In leaves no step had trodden blac Oh, I kept the first for another da! Yet, knwing how way leads onto way I dobted if I should ever come back I shall be telling this with a sigh Somewhere ages and ages hence Two roads diverged in a wood And I took the one less traveled by And that has made all the difference Robert Frost

A-Train
12-13-2007, 17:49
I'd say it depends on the year. You might get lucky with a light winter, or you might get nailed and get sick and tired of fighting snow storms and cold. The winter of 06' was very light for the most part. I met 2 sobos at Miss Janets in late January 07' who had just hiked straight thru to Erwin from Katahdin with little trouble. They said mostly warm spring-like days.

toastyjosh
12-13-2007, 19:27
yea that is what I would like to see, but It is going to be weather dependent for sure. I just hope that I can get through maine and the whites before it gets to bad. So only time will tell.:sun

SGT Rock
12-16-2007, 22:52

Nah, you won't. At least not here.

This website actually has moderators who take out the trash now and again.

Deliberate trolling is discouraged here at Whiteblaze, as you'll eventually discover.

Bye.Yes, well we also banned a Grammar Coach a while back. Snuck one back in on us.

We also don't like users that create a seperate account from the primary one for trolling. Tends to set off my PTSD.

dixicritter
12-16-2007, 22:55
Yes, well we also banned a Grammar Coach a while back. Snuck one back in on us.

We also don't like users that create a seperate account from the primary one for trolling. Tends to set off my PTSD.

That's ok Rock, I took care of him for ya. ;) :D