PDA

View Full Version : Theron Dean Shelter??

A-Train
12-13-2003, 16:34
I hiked up outta Appalachian Gap yesterday headed south. Intention was to head to Theron Dean (1.8 miles) and turn around back down. Never did find the shelter. I hit the mad river glen ski hut and lift area which was supposed to be past the shelter. I headed up the LT another minute or two and saw no sign of the shelter. Did i stop just short of it?? or is it still there? Even on the way back (north) saw no sign of it, just the catamount snow sboe trails everywhere. Wondering if anyone has info on this place.
Absolutely beautiful up on this ridge and the climb was fun with 2 feet of snow pack on the trail. This truely is the time to be on the long trail. Cant wait for summer!

DebW
12-13-2003, 16:55
It actually canbe seen from the trail if you look right at the right time while heading south. It's maybe 1/2 mile or more before Stark's Nest. You did see Stark's Nest, right? You pass the top of one ski lift, then do some very steep climbing, then hit the 2nd chairlift where the Starks Nest shelter is. We didn't stop at Theron Dean because we were heading for Starks Nest for the night. It would be easy to miss, as there was no sign for it. Bluebearee didn't see it, and we were together. There is a side trail that supposely goes past Theron Dean and then hits the trail further down (north) by the boulder cave. Saw the boulder cave, but the trail through it wasn't marked, I believe.

Peaks
12-14-2003, 10:51
The last time I was there was Fall 2001. It was there then. It's on the west side of the trail. If the sign was missing, then you needed to look for the side trail. It's not that far off the LT. Because it sits above the trailway, you might not be able to see it as you hike south. However, it is more obvious as you hike north, especially the side trail.

Nice view of Glen Ellen from the overlook outside the shelter.

If you have the Long Trail guidebook, it reads (northbound):

Passing the summit building, the Long Trail enters Camel's Hump State Forest, follows a ski trail through the woods to the left. After 200 ft, the LT rejoins the ski trail and ten cuts back into the woods again, before continuing along the ridge and then descending steeply, utilizing a ladder at one point to Theron Dean Shelter, located 25 ft. to the west.

The Trail continues ints steep descent, passing the upper station of another chair lift, and then leveling out as it continues along the ridge. Descending sharply once again, the LT passes a vista to teh north, leads over a knoll, then drops into Appalachain Gap and crosses Vt. 17.

The Long Trail is pretty much along the ridge through this section. The Catamount Trail is down much lower on the east side. I'm surprised that you saw signs for it up high.