PDA

View Full Version : nalgene

double j
12-12-2007, 19:43
ok so ive seen sme post on these nalgene bottles so i went to dicks sporting goods and looked .....can someone plzzz tell me whats so special about these ..........

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-12-2007, 19:52
Pluses:
Hard to break
Can add boiling water to them without warping / melting

Negatives:
Heavy
May be a health risk
Ultralighters will make fun of you :D

warraghiyagey
12-12-2007, 19:54
:) And that prettymuch sums it all up.

double j
12-12-2007, 20:06
lol so usesless and y would u put boiling water in them.....

Skidsteer
12-12-2007, 20:07
lol so usesless and y would u put boiling water in them.....

Coffee
Tea
Hot water bottle
You want to grow boobs

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-12-2007, 20:23
You want to grow boobs::: Dino looks over trifocals at Skids' manboobs :D :::

moondoggy
12-12-2007, 20:24
I carry Gatoraide bottles with duct tape wrapped around them.. Storage for the tape not protection for the bottle.

I gotta tell you I bought one of those coffee presses that fit inside a nalgene.....They make great coffee...

Tinker
12-12-2007, 20:28
I took my filtered water to work today in my Nalgene Unbottle (same material as Platypus).

Need to find a new use for my Nalgene Carcino - er - polycarbonate bottles.

scout005
12-12-2007, 20:28
Mmmm, Starbucks on the trail. Gotta check that coffee press out! Now if I could only figure out how to get my cream not to curdle I'd be set.

bigboots
12-12-2007, 20:33
In my humble opinion the durability of the container is worth the extra couple oz.

DAKS
12-12-2007, 20:33
don't forget that the new crop of nalgene bottles can also serve as a fashion statement and not just a function. you can get one in almost any color to match yer' backpack or poncho! VERY NICE!

i use a nalgene bottle daily at home and work, but on the trail it's a gatorade bottle or empty soda bottle. oh yeah, i will use them on winter camping trips though for reasons that others have already mentioned.

Skidsteer
12-12-2007, 20:39
::: Dino looks over trifocals at Skids' manboobs :D :::

I can make them move in time with Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love"

:D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-12-2007, 20:43
I can make them move in time with Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love"::: Dino awaits You-Tube confirmation of this ?skill? :D :::

DAKS
12-12-2007, 20:44
my thoughts exactly dino!!! can't wait!!!

DAKS
12-12-2007, 20:53
one thing to be said for nalgene bottles is that you don't have to worry about loosing the lid. that is kinda' nice. misplacing a small soda bottle top can be tragic!

hey skidsteer, how about dueling banjos???

taildragger
12-12-2007, 21:00
Pluses:

Negatives:
Ultralighters will make fun of you :D
:banana
You can fill it with water, add an adhesive to it, and then attach to a ULH as said hiker passes by. The sheer knowledge that they have something attached to them that they see as unnecessary AND heavy will cause them to burst into tears as the fight to get it off their back.

I suggest pulling out a pot, some veg oil, and popcorn kernels at this point. Sit back, pop some corn (little luxuries like this will make him struggle harder) and enjoy the show.

If that doesn't work you can trip him with your hiking stick/pole/leg and proceed to make fun of him, possibly blaming his tennis shoes for lack of balance instead of boots.

:banana = sarcastic rant

Skidsteer
12-12-2007, 21:00
one thing to be said for nalgene bottles is that you don't have to worry about loosing the lid. that is kinda' nice. misplacing a small soda bottle top can be tragic!

hey skidsteer, how about dueling banjos???

No, I don't think so.

I'd be afraid my boobs would fly off my chest during the finale.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-12-2007, 21:04
Admit it, Skids, this is you in drag (http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=11327).

Sly
12-12-2007, 21:05
In my humble opinion the durability of the container is worth the extra couple oz.

Before the Aqua Fina bottle came out I think Schweppes Tonic water was the only one with the larger mouth. I had to use them 4-5 years before I replaced them.

I've also used the flimsiest 16 oz water bottle as an a fuel container which lasted an entire trail.

Blissful
12-12-2007, 21:06
Soda bottles can't be beat. Replace them in towns when you get a cold one.

mudhead
12-12-2007, 21:08
I cannot believe I clicked on that.

Should have stayed with the other mental image.

DAKS
12-12-2007, 22:46
No, I don't think so.

I'd be afraid my boobs would fly off my chest during the finale.

"SAFETY FIRST" SKIDSTEER!!!!!

Mags
12-13-2007, 12:36
Nalgene bottles are also required on most college campuses now-a-days.

You don't every have to pay for a Nalgene.

Go to a corporate event? Get a Nalgene!
Do some trailwork? Get a Nalgene!
Hike the local trails? Find a Nalgene!

I've carried pre-scrambled eggs ..that worked well.

envirodiver
12-13-2007, 15:25
I carry a 16 oz lexan bottle inside one of the thin flexible can huggies. Serves as a measuring cup, hot/cold drink cup, mixing bottle for powdered drinks, and if you run across beer you can use the huggie. Total weight is 3.5 oz.

sweetpeastu
12-13-2007, 15:41
when H20 isn't scarce, as it was in many places this past summer (and possibly still is now in some places), how much water do you typically hike/backpack with?

I always carried nalgenes because they had measurements on the side of them...and b/c I knew how much water I was getting then. (Later I carried them because they were sturdy...and I'm accident prone and b/c of the winter camping thing--water doesn't freeze as quickly in them I find, and I can put boiling water in em).

Skidsteer
12-13-2007, 15:53
when H20 isn't scarce, as it was in many places this past summer (and possibly still is now in some places), how much water do you typically hike/backpack with?

I always carried nalgenes because they had measurements on the side of them...and b/c I knew how much water I was getting then. (Later I carried them because they were sturdy...and I'm accident prone and b/c of the winter camping thing--water doesn't freeze as quickly in them I find, and I can put boiling water in em).

I typically hike with 1-2 liters.

Regarding measurements, it's easy to add ounce or cup lines to a gatorade bottle with a sharpie or labelmaker.

Mags
12-13-2007, 15:54

For me, I like to have 1 ltr/5 miles.

Obviously, you may have to alter this forumula depending upon exertion level, heat, peference, etc.

I find this measurement is a good rule of thumb, however.

If I I dry camp, I like an extra 2 liters to cook dinner, drink during the night, get me going int he morning, etc. I add extra liters as needed per the 1 ltr/5 mile rule.

envirodiver
12-13-2007, 16:02
I usually walk w/ 1-2 liters. 1L that I'm drinking and 1 that is in the treatment process. I use MiOx treatment system