PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping bag outer shell stretching/lofting

saimyoji
12-12-2007, 20:27
Bag: Marmot Pinnacle 15* 800 fp down stuffed in standard stuff sack, no extra compression. Outer shell is Plexus N-100R??

When removing my bag from its stuff sack I notice that there are places where the outer shell appears to be stretched. It doesn't loft as well in these places at first, but it does return to normal after a few hours. Also, it doesn't completely loft up on its own, I need to shake it periodically to get it to loft properly.

Is this normal? Will stretching (stuffing) shorten the DWR life? When you lay out your bag before bed, how long does it usually take to loft up completely? Does it need assistance (shaking)? What do you do if you get to camp late and need to get into your bag relatively quickly? Will it loft as well with you in it as not? Or perhaps better?

Sorry, lots of questions in one post. :)

Tinker
12-12-2007, 20:31
It's perfectly normal for a down bag to take some time to reach its maximum loft.

Just don't leave it for long periods of time in the tiny stuffsack. Best way to store it is hanging by the foot end (most bags have a tab or two for this). Next best way is to lay it flat. Using the storage (not stuff) sack would be my third option (but I use the second, the first is not practical for me).

Tinker
12-12-2007, 20:33
Oh, yes, and it will loft just as well with you in it as out of it, any time of day.

saimyoji
12-12-2007, 20:38
Not talking about storing it for long periods of time. A day or less in the stuff sack.

I store it in the large cotton sack it came with, or spread out.