PDA

View Full Version : pentax w30 digital camera..anyone here tried it?

DavidNH
12-12-2007, 21:27
Ihave just discovered on the net the Pentax w30 digital camera. 7.1 mp resolution, waterproof, and weighs half my canoon powershot weighs. Sound ideal to me. But looking for feedback before I do anything rash here.

This camera seems to be retailing at about 300 bucks.

Thoughts??

David

Franco
12-12-2007, 22:15
It depends what you are after. For image quality you can do better around that weight and price range, but if you want something that will take nice shots without worrying about water or sand damage (for example storing it inside the hip pockets of your pack) than that is a good choice. The only competition is from the Olympus SW series. Tougher but the Pentax is slightly better optically ( not much in it).
The above reasons are why I use the WP1. Till recently I had a choice at any time of about 80 different models...
Franco

bigcranky
12-12-2007, 22:21
We have two of the w-10 models. Nice little cameras, waterproof, good image quality. The battery seems to last a while, but we got a spare. The only real downside is that the LCD screen washes out in bright light (but that's true of many small digital cameras.)

I'd buy it again. You might also look at the Olympus Stylus waterproof models (the 720 SW for example), they are in the same price range but claim to be shockproof as well.

sonic
12-13-2007, 12:29
I have a WP model as well. I take it kayaking all the time without worries. The main reason I got it was because of terrible memories of my friend dropping her camera while crossing a stream in the Grand Canyon. Took forever to dry it out and it was never the same. It's worth the cost.

D'Artagnan
12-13-2007, 13:35
If you're interested in seeing what sort of photos a camera takes, jump over to http://www.pbase.com (http://www.pbase.com/) and do a search by camera. It's a great resource and let's you see "real world" usage versus what the manufacturer wants you to see.

I love their site -- but be warned -- it's almost as addictive as WB. :D