PDA

View Full Version : New pump filter option coming in 08 ?

tomsawyer222
12-12-2007, 22:49
MSR has the brand new hyperflow filter coming out should be light enough for even the chemical users to look at... pumps well and should be reliable. Anyone think that the pumps will eventualy beat out the chemicals?:-?

ChinMusic
12-12-2007, 22:50
MSR has the brand new hyperflow filter coming out should be light enough for even the chemical users to look at... pumps well and should be reliable. Anyone think that the pumps will eventualy beat out the chemicals?:-?
I think UV will beat them both out, esp when LCD catches up.....:-?

Smile
12-12-2007, 23:13
I'm looking forward to checking the new filter out, the one I have now is a whopping 1 lb or so, way heavy!

I'm also waiting for the Water Sherpa's to arrive. For a fee, they'd walk ahead of you and have your water pumped and waiting for you. Sign me up!

Survivor Dave
12-13-2007, 00:09

I just checked out the website. I wish it would say what month. I just think that $100 is a lot to spend. I use Aquamira and got rid of my Hiker Pro for weight and replacement filter cost. It will be around $75 for the Aquamira for the Thru. The weight listed on the new MSR filter is around 7.5 oz...That's DRY WEIGHT. It will never be dry, never.

Smile, your sherpa is here. Only $4 a gallon plus delivery. Interested?:rolleyes: :eek: :D

SD

4eyedbuzzard
12-13-2007, 00:29
I think UV will beat them both out, esp when LCD catches up.....:-?

Unless the water is really ugly, UV with a small light prefilter is definitely the future. Most every beer, soda, water, etc bottler uses them in their processes. Cheaper than chemicals and no taste issues.

Smile
12-13-2007, 01:29
Would the batteries in a UV unit make it pretty heavy?

SD - I haven't seen the site yet, is it a ceramic filter also? You're right, they never stay dry, but I sure do love the taste of filtered water :)

tomsawyer222
12-13-2007, 06:44
Yea UV is nice but there are alot of probablems with the UV pens that are out now. They cant do massive amounts of water at once and you have to stir the water with them and the opening on my platy bottles is too small to fit the pen in.... So it brings back the old nalgene bottles. Yes SD it is pricey but i have not seen something that has MSR printed on it that was cheap :). I was just wondering (because some cant stand chemicals and some just dont want to pump water)whether the pumps will become light enough that some wont mind the 6-8 oz penalty for the convience and taste.

NICKTHEGREEK
12-13-2007, 07:49
Unless the water is really ugly, UV with a small light prefilter is definitely the future. Most every beer, soda, water, etc bottler uses them in their processes. Cheaper than chemicals and no taste issues.
Taste issue cut both ways. I like a filter that removes any taste. Not all the water out there springs forth from the earth right before my eyes.

walkinfool
12-13-2007, 10:20
I've just emailed MSR to see when the new filter is coming out. I'll let you know if/when they respond. I was thinking of getting the Hiker Pro, which is $70 and weighs 11 oz, so I don't think I'd really mind paying a little more to save some weight and space. My pack weight is adding up!

rafe
12-13-2007, 11:34
MSR makes good stuff, but in general not "lightweight." I know nothing about this new filter from MSR. I have used their existing line of filters for years -- typical MSR; built like a tank, quite reliable, and heavy. I used a Katadyn Hiker Pro this year to save some weight. It's not as reliable. Use it once on muddy water and you've pretty much clogged the filter element.

wrongway_08
12-13-2007, 11:37
I like it. Might be buyn one comes 2008! Only thing I didnt see on the website was how well it cleans the water - particle filter size.

I have the Hiker Pro now and it does a great job, water taste good using it. but it is kinda bulky.

Also, I wonder if the 7.4oz for the new MSR includes that stupid adapter for bottles and bags? If so, the weight will be even less for me!

Painted Turtle
12-13-2007, 11:54
Looks small enough to fit in ones pocket. Will be a big savings weight / size over my Mini Works. Trouble is they do not give enough detail son what it filters. Looking forward to more info.

Smile
12-13-2007, 11:56
I've been thinking about the pen, but i have some concerns. They say it kills Giardia.

BUT -- and this is a huge but, -- UV light can't kill algae. And that's the problem, giardia or any other microbe can be shielded by algae, and will survive the UV's .

I was a river guide for many years, and I saw other guides get giardia - I don't wish that on anyone, and don't even want to take a chance, especially on trail. That's why I carry a 'heavy' filter, along with the taste of course :)

ChinMusic
12-13-2007, 12:52
Yea UV is nice but there are alot of probablems with the UV pens that are out now. They cant do massive amounts of water at once and you have to stir the water with them and the opening on my platy bottles is too small to fit the pen in.... So it brings back the old nalgene bottles.
You don't need a Nalgene unless you need to use the prefilter. I prefer Gatorade bottles anyway and the Steripen almost seems like it was MADE for a Gatorade bottle. If balances on the Gatorade bottle perfectly. I like being able to treat my water on the fly without even taking my pack off, and drink it immediately. Camel-up, treat some more, and move on.

walkinfool
12-13-2007, 13:16
I've just emailed MSR to see when the new filter is coming out. I'll let you know if/when they respond. I was thinking of getting the Hiker Pro, which is $70 and weighs 11 oz, so I don't think I'd really mind paying a little more to save some weight and space. My pack weight is adding up!

Here's MSR's response to my email to them (not very helpful, I guess):

Thanks for contacting Cascade Designs Inc. The Hyperflow is set to come out early '08 but unfortunately I don't have an exact date. I would think that it should be available by March and REI will definitely be carrying it. Let me know if you have any other questions and have a great day!

wrongway_08
12-13-2007, 13:44
Here is my response from them,

Thanks for contacting Cascade Designs, Inc. The Hyperflow filters down
to .2 microns. The 7.4 oz weight includes all components of the filter.
We're doing our best to make it available as soon as possible. However,
at this point it looks like February would be a more realistic ETA.
It'll definitely be worth the wait!

Cheers,

Eric Biljum

Cascade Designs Inc.

800-531-9531 ext 1484

[email protected]

WWW.CASCADEDESIGNS.COM

wrongway_08
12-13-2007, 13:44
Guess it'll be down to around 5 oz when you get rid of all those useless attachments!!!

wrongway_08
12-13-2007, 13:47
Kat. Hiker pro (what I currently use) only filters down to .3 microns and doesnt filter as fast as this new MSR design.

sheepdog
12-13-2007, 14:07
I used my steri-pen traveler for the first time last summer. I used it on north manitou island in Lake Michigan and hiking the AT at SNP. It worked great and weighs in at only 4 oz. with batteries. The only thing I worry about is contaminated water on the outside of my bottle. No giardia yet.

whitefoot_hp
12-13-2007, 14:08
MSR makes good stuff, but in general not "lightweight." I know nothing about this new filter from MSR. I have used their existing line of filters for years -- typical MSR; built like a tank, quite reliable, and heavy. I used a Katadyn Hiker Pro this year to save some weight. It's not as reliable. Use it once on muddy water and you've pretty much clogged the filter element.

thats when i just scrape the prefilter with a tent stake on my kat. hiker. after a good scraping its becomes effortless to pump.

wrongway_08
12-13-2007, 14:34
I used my steri-pen traveler for the first time last summer. I used it on north manitou island in Lake Michigan and hiking the AT at SNP. It worked great and weighs in at only 4 oz. with batteries. The only thing I worry about is contaminated water on the outside of my bottle. No giardia yet.

I dont worry about giardia, its all that nasty tasting iron and sediment in the water that bothers me. The Hiker Pro takes all that out. I thought about the Steir-pen but to get rid of the taste I would still need the filter so I opt for just the filter.

Smile
12-13-2007, 14:43
I wonder if these are made in the USA?

Roots
12-13-2007, 14:56
You don't need a Nalgene unless you need to use the prefilter. I prefer Gatorade bottles anyway and the Steripen almost seems like it was MADE for a Gatorade bottle. If balances on the Gatorade bottle perfectly. I like being able to treat my water on the fly without even taking my pack off, and drink it immediately. Camel-up, treat some more, and move on.

I'm with you on this. I use a gatorade instead of the Nalgene and prefilter that came with it. If the water looks pretty dirty, I use a coffee filter over the mouth of the Gatorade bottle.

I pour the water into my Nalgene canteen after I treat it, so I lesson the chance of drinking any 'boogers' that might hang around the rim of the gatorade bottle. It beats waiting on Aqua Mira to kick in, like I used to do. So far, so good. No problems to speak of. :)

ARambler
12-13-2007, 15:11
Just to get the url in the thread:
http://www.msrcorp.com/filters/hyperflow.asp

I have a few questions about the Steripen alternative: What is the prefilter strategy and weights. e.g. dip Nalgene into stream (5.1 oz); put prefilter in Nalgene (1.5 oz??) pour slowly into Gatorade bottle, treat with Steripen (3.7 oz + backup batteries=b). Total weight = x? Total time for 2 L = T? For people who carry the prefilter, what % of time is it used? What % don't carry a prefilter?
Have most swithced to the lighter Adventurer/Traveler (3.7oz)? What is the difference between these two models? Do hikers have trouble getting the CR123 batteries?
Rambler

ChinMusic
12-13-2007, 15:30
You don't need the prefilter for most water sources that you would find on the AT. I still bring my regular filter when I know I will be getting my water from a lake or pond (we are pretty muddy in the midwest). For my trips to the AT and out west the water has been so clear that my prefilter was not needed. If I get it wrong I carry Micropur tablets as a backup for turbid water.

envirodiver
12-13-2007, 17:43
Not sure about trail re-supply, but I get CR123 lithium batteries for my MiOx at Kroger (local grocery). Very expensive, about $14.00 for 2.

rafe
12-13-2007, 17:58
You don't need the prefilter for most water sources that you would find on the AT.

That is generally true... but all it takes is one exception to plug up a filter. And sometimes that's your only option. At least with the current MSR models (with the ceramic elements,) you can field-clean 'em.

Footslogger
12-13-2007, 18:13
Anyone think that the pumps will eventualy beat out the chemicals?:-?

============================================

...not as long as they use paper element filters that stay wet and grimey. Perfect environment for growth/proliferation of microrgasms.

'Slogger

Painted Turtle
12-13-2007, 19:25
Just received from MSR:

Thank you for contacting Cascade Designs Inc.
We are pretty excited about the release of our new Hyperflow Microfilter
in early 2008! The Hyperflow will be our lightest, smallest, and
fastest pumping filter. It will pump 2.75 liters per minute. It will
be field maintainable. It will come with a Quick-Connect bottle cap
allowing it to conveniently interface with a large mouth Nalege or our
MSR Hydration bags.
The Hyperflow will have a .2 micron pore size making it capable of
removing Protozoa (Giardia), Bacteria, and Particulates. It will weight
7.8 oz. and measures 7 x 3.5 inches. It filters 1 liter in 30-40
strokes and lasts up to 1,000 Liters. Here is a link to the Hyperflow
on our website: http://www.msrgear.com/filters/hyperflow.asp (http://www.msrgear.com/filters/hyperflow.asp)
Let me know if you need any further info and I will do my best.

wrongway_08
12-13-2007, 19:31
COMING IN 2008: The HyperFlow utilizes the latest Hollow Fiber Technology in a package so small and so easy to use it will change the way you travel in the backcountry. Its ergonomic design, diminutive size and tool-free maintainability make it just as appropriate on day trips as it is on multi-day excursions. Also included is a Quick Connect Bottle Adapter™ — allowing direct connection to all MSR hydration products and a variety of other "wide mouth" containers — and an advanced prefilter to prolong the life of your filter.

High Flow Rate
Pumps more than 3 liters per minute or one liter every 20 seconds.
Ultralight
Just 7.4 oz. (209 g).
Ultra Small
Just 7x3.5 in. ( 17.8 x 8.3 cm) makes it easy to take along even when space is at a premium.
Field-Maintainable
Can be cleaned repeatedly for flow recovery without tools.
Super Convenient
Quick-Connect bottle adapter lets you filter water directly into a variety of containers, including all MSR® hydration products and Nalgene® bottles.Weight: 7.4 oz./209 g.
Dimensions: 7 x 3.5 in./17.8 x 8.3 cm
Cartridge Life: 1,000 liters

56500 - HyperFlow Microfilter - $99.95*
*MSRP in US Dollars

http://www.msrgear.com/filters/images/hyperflow.jpg

Peaks
12-14-2007, 10:10
If it really pumps 3 liters per minute, I gotta see this. And field cleanable/maintainable? Let's see what some users report.

Frosty
12-14-2007, 10:56
Use it once on muddy water and you've pretty much clogged the filter element.Any water so muddy that it would clog a filter right away you should not be trying to filter anyway, and most definately I would not scoop up a container of muddy water, dump in aquamira and chug it down (or chew it or whatever.

If you lost the pre-filter of you pump or don't have a bandana to use, fill a container, let it settle and then filter the clear water on top.

OTOH hand, all that mud could be hiding lunch. Little fishies, pollywogs, and other aquatic life could be enough that you could skip lunch :D

Hooch
12-14-2007, 11:04
Kat. Hiker pro (what I currently use) only filters down to .3 microns and doesnt filter as fast as this new MSR design.I use the Katadyn Hiker Pro also, which filters, at best, about a liter per minute. I like it, but it is a bit on the weighty side. I definitely want to look into the Hyper Flow when it comes out, maybe go in halvsies with my hiking partner on it, since we only carry one filter when we hike together anyway.

gearfreak
12-14-2007, 11:56
I'd love to drop the weight of my Katadyn Hiker Pro. After arriving at our intended camp on a GA stretch of the BMT last year and finding the spring dry, I can't see myself ever traveling without a filter and MicroPur tablets. I did change the prefilter to the one used on the MSR Sweetwater ($10 from Cascade Designs) which has a much finer mesh and all-around better design. When this (see pic) was what remained in the morning of our only water option, I was glad we pulled 4L from it the prior night! All the rain on our first day was a blessing in disguise. This new MSR filter will be high on my list of "must haves" now that I've seen some of the specs. :cool:

saimyoji
01-18-2008, 13:29
Bump. Any update on when this will hit the market?

saimyoji
01-18-2008, 13:33
Bump. Any update on when this will hit the market?

Never mind. Find it here:
http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/hydrationdetail.cfm/MSR219

walkinfool
01-18-2008, 13:40
Here's my recent correspondence w/Cascade Designs...

From me:
I'm wondering about the new HyperFlow Microfilter that you have coming out soon. Is it still set to hit the shelves in Februrary? I'm beginning a thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail mid-March and I'd really like to be able to take the new filter along with me. I know that you can boil the ceramic filter from the Miniworks EX to sterilize it. Is the same true for the hollow fiber filter on the HyperFlow? I'm also wondering what the outlet of the filter will look like. The pictures make it seem as though you have to connect the outlet to the bottle adapter...can it connect to tubing instead?

From Cascade Designs:
Thank you for contacting Cascade Designs Inc. As of right now they are due out in mid February. This filter has hollow fiber within it so you cannot boil it but rather one simply will back flush the pump to clean it properly. There is a small barb on the filter which will accept a hose. http://www.msrgear.com/watertreatment/hyperflow.asp
-Walkinfool

Mocs123
01-18-2008, 14:38
A review is up a trailspace:

http://www.trailspace.com/news/2008/01/16/msr-hyperflow.html (http://www.trailspace.com/news/2008/01/16/msr-hyperflow.html)

TheChamp
01-18-2008, 14:58
"Our test unit was slightly heavier at 8.2 oz. (232 g) for just the pump assembly, intake tube, and prefilter. The water bottle adaptor and carrying sack (with sewn-in instructions) add another 2.8 oz. (79 g) for a total packed weight of 11 oz. (311 g)."

It was too good to be true. I was hoping for sub six ounces without the accessories...

BR360
01-18-2008, 15:24
Check this out. Fits Platypus. 1.97 ozs. (56 g).

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/aquamira_frontier_pro_filter.html (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/aquamira_frontier_pro_filter.html)

walkinfool
01-18-2008, 16:02

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/aquamira_frontier_pro_filter.html (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/aquamira_frontier_pro_filter.html)

Wow, that looks awesome. I have a Platypus bladder and a bigger Platy water bag for scooping water out of a stream...sounds like I could connect the Frontier Pro between them, hang the water bag above the bladder, and let gravity take care of the rest. And when there's no time for that, you can put the filter on a soda bottle and drink right from it.

The filters don't last as long as the more elaborate setups, but at that weight, I don't think I mind that.

Toolshed
01-18-2008, 17:48
COMING IN 2008: The HyperFlow utilizes the latest Hollow Fiber Technology in a package so small and so easy to use it will change the way you travel in the backcountry. Its ergonomic design, diminutive size and tool-free maintainability make it just as appropriate on day trips as it is on multi-day excursions. Also included is a Quick Connect Bottle Adapter™ — allowing direct connection to all MSR hydration products and a variety of other "wide mouth" containers — and an advanced prefilter to prolong the life of your filter.

High Flow Rate
Pumps more than 3 liters per minute or one liter every 20 seconds.
Ultralight
Just 7.4 oz. (209 g).
Ultra Small
Just 7x3.5 in. ( 17.8 x 8.3 cm) makes it easy to take along even when space is at a premium.
Field-Maintainable
Can be cleaned repeatedly for flow recovery without tools.
Super Convenient
Quick-Connect bottle adapter lets you filter water directly into a variety of containers, including all MSR® hydration products and Nalgene® bottles.Weight: 7.4 oz./209 g.
Dimensions: 7 x 3.5 in./17.8 x 8.3 cm
Cartridge Life: 1,000 liters

56500 - HyperFlow Microfilter - $99.95*
*MSRP in US Dollars

http://www.msrgear.com/filters/images/hyperflow.jpg
Sounds too good to be true. there has got to be something on that thing that woul keep you coming back and paying a high price for replacement/renewal parts.

walkinfool
01-18-2008, 17:51
A review is up a trailspace:

http://www.trailspace.com/news/2008/01/16/msr-hyperflow.html (http://www.trailspace.com/news/2008/01/16/msr-hyperflow.html)

Read this review that Mocs posted...it makes it sound like it's not all it's promised to be. It was heavier than advertised, delicate, and there are freezing issues, which could be a big problem on the AT or in any cold weather. Putting it your sleeping bag is all well and good, but what about when you're hiking during the day an you forget to store it in the middle of the pack to protect it from the cold...will it freeze and fail easily? Too bad...I was all excited about this one.

walkinfool
01-18-2008, 17:54

I was all excited about this one, too, but I just noticed that the description says it uses a "3 micron" filter. Most other filters are .3 or .2 (notice the decimal point). Don't know how this can effectively filter out giardia, etc. at 3 microns. I emailed Aquamira to see what they have to say.

gearfreak
01-18-2008, 18:33

Be careful with that! The pore size is 3 microns, not the 0.3 microns required to keep out the bad stuff. :cool:

sheepdog
01-18-2008, 18:54
The MSR website says it filters .2 microns. It is in their comparison chart.

pure_mahem
01-18-2008, 18:59
I look at it this way if there is something in the water and you're using a UV Pen the stuff it killed is still in there. MMMM dead bacteria, viral germ carcasses mmmmmmm! Where as the filter just removes all that and the other gunk to begin with so your not drinking it at all. Same can be said for chemical treatment, there is a reason most people don't drink tap water in urban areas, mmmmm chemicals and dead bacteria, viral germ carcasses mmmmmmmm!

walkinfool
01-19-2008, 10:22
Be careful with that! The pore size is 3 microns, not the 0.3 microns required to keep out the bad stuff. :cool:

I just heard back from Aquamira. Turns out the description they give is 3 microns, but it's actually .3 microns. Maybe it's like when I talk about plastic sheeting that's .2 mil and I always just say "2 mil". Anyway, they say it filters giardia, so it must be below 1 micron...

From me:
One more question. I just noticed that the frontier pro has a 3 micron filter. Other filters I've been looking at are .2 or .3 micron filters (notice the decimal point). Is "3 microns" a typo and it should actually be ".3"?

From Aquamira:
Same thing, and FYI, there is really no advantage of .2 over .3.
Thinkin' I might go for it, but I don't know. I'm also thinking about MSR's Autoflow...it's gravity feed, but much faster...1.75 liters per minute! Heavier & more expensive, though.

-walkinfool

astrogirl
01-19-2008, 22:49

prefilter fits find on the gatorade wide mouth, but the steri-pen won't get in there and cover both water sensors. I found that out the hard way this morning.

Granted, I should have checked it at home. :D

Powder River
01-20-2008, 23:43
Here is another link with a picture of the hyperflow.

http://www.feedthehabit.com/outdoors/2008-msr-hyperflow-microfilter/

It looks a lot bigger than I imagined it. Also, from the MSR website comparison chart here are the sizes of the Miniworks EX vs the Hyperflow:

Miniworks EX: 7.5 x 2.75 in

Hyperflow: 7 x 3.5 in

It doesn't look like this is going to save any pack space at all. Plus with the shaky review posted above, I will have to wait for some good user feedback before pulling the trigger anyhow. And by then I'll be well on my way to Maine...