PDA

View Full Version : do resupply stores sell small amounts of white gas?

cabalot
12-13-2003, 17:52
do resupply stores sell small amounts of white gas? what do you do when the 11oz, 22oz, or 33oz fuel bottle runs out. i have only seen the big 1 gallon containers sold at walmart.

i am planning to buy a MSR simmerlight but may go with the international because i could fill my fuel bottle with unleaded gas.

Bankrobber
12-13-2003, 20:14
If you are planning to hike the AT, you will be surprised how many little convenience stores sell white gas. It is quite easy to fill up at just about every stop. Outfitters, hardware stores, and some convenience stores all carry it. I can't think of one town on the whole trail where I could not find any Coleman white gas.

cabalot
12-13-2003, 20:25
If you are planning to hike the AT, you will be surprised how many little convenience stores sell white gas. It is quite easy to fill up at just about every stop. Outfitters, hardware stores, and some convenience stores all carry it. I can't think of one town on the whole trail where I could not find any Coleman white gas.

do they sell quantities less then a gallon? will they top off my fuel bottle for a price?

Doctari
12-13-2003, 21:36
Most sell by the OZ: White gas & denatured alcohol, I saw one place (can't remember where) that had Kerosine also. Fuel isn't a real problem (at least GA, NC & TN) from personal experiance and stories here and elsewhere. I havn't used it so havn't looked for Esbit or other solid fuel, I seem to remember seeing esbit in Hot Springs.

No worries.

Doctari.

Peaks
12-14-2003, 10:37
As others have posted, there are many places along the trail that have an open and partial gallon of coleman fuel that they will sell (or give free) by the ounce so you can top off your fuel bottle. Almost every town/village has at least one place. Many (most?) of these places are listed in the ALDHA Companion and Wingfoot's Handbook.

Fuels that are harder to buy include Esbit, and anything that is in a cylinder. But liquid fuels (white gas and alcohol) should be no problem.

kank
12-14-2003, 15:41
I highly recommend trying the simmerlite rather than the international. Unleaded is a dirtier fuel to burn (clogs stove faster), whether the stove is multi-fuel or not. There are ways of getting white gas in small quantities on the AT, as others have already described. Even if not, you would probably be able to go find a group to split a gallon with or something. Burn white gas, not unleaded. I now use an alcohol stove, but I used a white gas stove for years and fuel is easy to find, especially in AT trail towns where they often try to accomodate the needs of the many thru-hikers they see, at least during the main hiking season. On the AT, there really isn't much that you won't have easy access to.

MOWGLI
12-14-2003, 15:51
what do you do when the 11oz, 22oz, or 33oz fuel bottle runs out.

Cabalot, I echo others sentiments about the availability of white gas in small quantities. It was not an issue at all for me during my thru-hike a few years ago. Personally, I would not bother with the International stove.

Also, if you are hiking alone, IMO, there is no need to use anything larger than an 11 oz fuel container. Unless you choose foods that require cook times of 15-20 minutes, you are usually just boiling water. The 11 oz bottle I carried never ran out on me.

Good luck.

cabalot
12-14-2003, 17:15
Cabalot, I echo others sentiments about the availability of white gas in small quantities. It was not an issue at all for me during my thru-hike a few years ago. Personally, I would not bother with the International stove.

Also, if you are hiking alone, IMO, there is no need to use anything larger than an 11 oz fuel container. Unless you choose foods that require cook times of 15-20 minutes, you are usually just boiling water. The 11 oz bottle I carried never ran out on me.

Good luck.

thanks, thats exactly why i was asking. i dont want to carry more than 11oz.
and the international is 5.5oz more than the simmerlight.

Shadowman
12-15-2003, 00:06
I agree that obtaining fuel is no problem. I section hiked in three big sections and used the Coleman Multi Fuel Stove which holds about 10 oz and I carry a 16 oz bottle extra and frequent towns much less than others. At one point in one of the new england states one of the gears shops or whatever that ordinarily supposed to have fuel was closed. It usually had a can near the door for hikers but it was empty so I just refilled my small bottle at the gas station (I asked first). Not their biggest sale. I have never had a problem with unleaded gas. In fact I have an older two burner coleman camp stove that has rarely seen coleman fuel or white gas. I think the coloring in the gas is the only difference.

Peaks
12-15-2003, 08:56
First, Coleman fuel claims to be more highly refined than automobile fuel. And it doesn't have the additives that gasoline does. But, for those old enough to remember the days before coleman fuel, we used to by Amaco gas, because it was the only gas comonly sold that didn't have lead in it. Worked fine. So, there shouldn't be a problem using unleaded gas occassionaly.

Second, I'll agree that the 11 ounce fuel bottle should be enough for most solo hikers. However, cooking habits do vary. So, my advice is to do your own check of how much you use. Should be part of your shakedowns.