PDA

View Full Version : Preferred bag,mummy or Rectangular

simon
12-13-2007, 14:58
Hi, I've always had a rectangular bag since most have more leg room. How restrictive are most mummy bags and which do you prefer?

dessertrat
12-13-2007, 15:04
I like rectangular, while acknowledging that they weigh a bit more for the respective temperature rating, and might not even be as warm per rating. There are still some pretty light rectangular or semi-rectangular bags out there.

bigboots
12-13-2007, 15:21
I'm guessing I will be the first of many to say the mummy is best for me. I like having one bag for extremes in temps but of course that is just one humble hikers opinion.
The ammount of foot room in the bag depends on the type and size of the bag you get, some are more restrictive than others.

Bigboots

take-a-knee
12-13-2007, 15:36
More functional than a mummy or a rectangular IMO, the FF Rock Wren:

http://featheredfriends.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productId=82&CatId=1&ProductName=Rock%20Wren

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-13-2007, 15:47
I like in this order: Quilt, Rectangular and mummy. Quilts because they are so versatile, rectangular bags because I need the space to move a bum leg, mummy only if it is darn cold because they are warmer.

jzakhar
12-13-2007, 15:50
mummy for me, it's just warmer.

saimyoji
12-13-2007, 16:54
In winter I need the coccoon: mummy bag.

In summer if its not gonna get too cool, I like my semi-rectangular. I can open it up all the way and use it like a quilt/blanket, or I can cinch it up around me if need be.

Different gear for different situations.

Cuffs
12-13-2007, 16:57
If you need the space, but the function of the mummy (keeps warmth close) check into the Monbell line of strech bags! Love 'em! I just about freaked out every nite being in the confines of a regular mummy bag!

Tabasco
12-13-2007, 17:35
Semi Rectangular. Marmot wasatch, 3lbs of toasty, down filled goodness

hopefulhiker
12-13-2007, 17:46
To begin my hike I used a semi rectangular.. but when the bag gets bigger it is harder to heat up. I liked the quilts the best though...

highway
12-13-2007, 17:55
More functional than a mummy or a rectangular IMO, the FF Rock Wren:

http://featheredfriends.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productId=82&CatId=1&ProductName=Rock%20Wren

Mine too!
But it is still a mummy bag even though you can wear it like a coat, walk around in it, great for hammocks. I have used it in below freezing weather even.

highway
12-13-2007, 17:55
They are warmer and lighter

Appalachian Tater
12-13-2007, 20:03
You see few serious hikers with rectangular bags. Most of the better quality bags are mummy. There are some summer bags that are rectangular. A mummy bag with a proper footbox is not overly restrictive.

LIhikers
12-13-2007, 20:37
Like Cuffs I'm going to recommend you check out the Montbell line of stretch bags. They fit you close, so there isn't extra space for your body to heat up, but it stretches as needed to let you move around with ease while you're in the bag. Add to that good quality, light weight, warm to advertised temperture rating, and compresses into a small size it's a hard bag to beat.

Machine
12-13-2007, 20:43
Mummy here.

slow
12-13-2007, 21:05
WM mitylite keeps me warm @30 in boxers and is rated 40.
Full zip,and more room than a ss montbell for me.

MB is a mummy...I seen first hand that a side sleeper @6'1 has no chance in this bag to lift his knees in comfort.

taildragger
12-13-2007, 21:25
I use mummies but I like rectangulars more in warmer weather, I just need to con someone into lugging it around for me...

saimyoji
12-13-2007, 21:43
You see few serious hikers with rectangular bags. Most of the better quality bags are mummy. There are some summer bags that are rectangular. A mummy bag with a proper footbox is not overly restrictive.

I hope you expected to be called out on what exactly a "serious hiker" is. :rolleyes:

superman
12-13-2007, 21:49
I'm so clostrophobic I can barely get into a tent. There is no way I could be in a mummy bag. Besides, on cold rainy nights my ace was opening my rectangular bag and putting it over both Winter and me. Nothing like a hot dog on a cold wet night.:)

taildragger
12-13-2007, 22:04
I'm so clostrophobic I can barely get into a tent. There is no way I could be in a mummy bag. Besides, on cold rainy nights my ace was opening my rectangular bag and putting it over both Winter and me. Nothing like a hot dog on a cold wet night.:)

I took that a very different direction than it:eek: was inteded for

slow
12-13-2007, 23:00
FF,WM..is the A bag's to look at for REC bags hands down.

MB great B bag for the money...but you have to have a hood to get temp rating and less down ,with that rubber band system.I dont want a hood, but want a rec bag that you dont make...wonder why?WM.FF.THEY DO.

FF,WM, save your money and get what you want

Appalachian Tater
12-13-2007, 23:29
I hope you expected to be called out on what exactly a "serious hiker" is. :rolleyes:

Someone carrying the sleeping bag in a backpack more than ten miles or so in one day.

superman
12-14-2007, 03:29
I took that a very different direction than it:eek: was inteded for

LMAO, that's how rumors get started.
On the serious side, dogs do generate a lot of heat. When it was cold Winter would sleep right next to me but when it wasn't cold she slept on her side of the Slick Rock tent near my feet. Winter is too old to hike now but as long as she was with me I didn't have to worry about hypothermia. I mostly used my rectangular 20 degree down bag as a quilt. I had a thermarest under me.