PDA

View Full Version : Someone stop me!!!!

jogle
12-13-2007, 17:44
I have been reading this site avidly for a month, incredulous at the irresponsible way in which easily led people, like myself, are encouraged to put aside the important issues in life, to take on a trivial pursuit of quite mind boggling stupidity. I have experience of this insidious cohersion.This year whilst in a moment of weakness, following the usual implosion of modern lives, I was wickedly tricked by a similarly cavalier web page to travel to John O'Groats on the far tip of Scotland and begin, during the wettest summer on record, walking toward the most southerly tip of the British mainland by way of paths. I had no experience, too much kit and no support. Pathetically, I was too stupid to stop and 1120 miles later,walked on to the Land Ends cliffs on the 80th day. I looked out to America wondering if it existed outside of The Simpsons and knew I would never walk again. That went quite well for.... a week .....until I found this site. So I was thinking that my circumstances haven't changed........maybe just one little walk.........say NOBO early March. NO! ..forget it.. I've just realised what you are up to.... its a daft idea. The daftest Ive had since...well you know. No sorry forget it...sorry to have bothered you. I mean, I only know one person in the colony and they are really to busy to support this. I'll just go away... please be more careful, you are playing with peoples lives. If I started early March I might with some help get to the top by mid August and would have walked the UK and US in a calander year .....Oh stop it!!!!
:eek:

PS I was thinking of a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL. Any thoughts? What maps are best? I've looked at an Osprey Aether and like it? Damn, Ive bought a filter on E bay!!!
PPS Is a bear bigger than say a medium sized dog?

Jack Tarlin
12-13-2007, 17:48
The Osprey Aether is a great pack.

For maps, go to www.atconf.org and click where it says "Ultimate Trail Store." These are the A.T. best maps presently available.

Welcome and good luck!

Montego
12-13-2007, 17:53
Hope to see you out there :welcome

doggiebag
12-13-2007, 17:54
I have been reading this site avidly for a month, incredulous at the irresponsible way in which easily led people, like myself, are encouraged to put aside the important issues in life, to take on a trivial pursuit of quite mind boggling stupidity. I have experience of this insidious cohersion.This year whilst in a moment of weakness, following the usual implosion of modern lives, I was wickedly tricked by a similarly cavalier web page to travel to John O'Groats on the far tip of Scotland and begin, during the wettest summer on record, walking toward the most southerly tip of the British mainland by way of paths. I had no experience, too much kit and no support. Pathetically, I was too stupid to stop and 1120 miles later,walked on to the Land Ends cliffs on the 80th day. I looked out to America wondering if it existed outside of The Simpsons and knew I would never walk again. That went quite well for.... a week .....until I found this site. So I was thinking that my circumstances haven't changed........maybe just one little walk.........say NOBO early March. NO! ..forget it.. I've just realised what you are up to.... its a daft idea. The daftest Ive had since...well you know. No sorry forget it...sorry to have bothered you. I mean, I only know one person in the colony and they are really to busy to support this. I'll just go away... please be more careful, you are playing with peoples lives. If I started early March I might with some help get to the top by mid August and would have walked the UK and US in a calander year .....Oh stop it!!!!

PS I was thinking of a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL. Any thoughts? What maps are best? I've looked at an Osprey Aether and like it? Damn, Ive bought a filter on E bay!!!
Depends on the bear. I've seen them smaller than a cattle dog (under 50 pounds) to larger than the stoutest hiker I've seen. Over 350 pounds (the bear not the hiker). They're usually a blessing to see. IMHO

rafe
12-13-2007, 17:55
Go sobo. Start in June. Avoid the herd. Have fun.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-13-2007, 18:02
oh dear.... he's hooked. Welcome to a new member of the Class of 2008 :D

mambo_tango
12-13-2007, 18:02
Go sobo. Start in June. Avoid the herd. Have fun.

but the herd is so much fun!!

Just a Hiker
12-13-2007, 18:05
The SL1- Good Tent
Osprey Aether- Great Pack.....Great Customer Service
Bears- Don't worry about them

weary
12-13-2007, 18:09
Jack's given you good advice. But hurry. The once a year map and guide book sale ends in about 10 days or so.

Weary

warraghiyagey
12-13-2007, 18:15
Many a friend from across the pond has hiked the trail unsupported. All you need is you plane ticket, your Visa, and your pack. I've hike with two great friends from England the past two years.
:welcome
SOBO8

Kirby
12-13-2007, 18:19
You start to get to the point, like myself, where you try your hardest on a hike to see a bear while hiking, and I live in Maine, where they are supposedly everywhere.

Go NOBO.

Kirby

warraghiyagey
12-13-2007, 18:20
Did I miss a bear segue somewhere?

Lilred
12-13-2007, 18:35

:welcome That's the funniest thing I've read in ages..... I hope you plan on keeping an online journal.

Christopher Robin
12-13-2007, 18:54
:welcomeWelcome Well done on your hike thats a logn way to hike & to bad the weather was bag. Just rember not many would walk all that way. I wish Americans would not call the water beween both coutrys (The Pond). Glad you are thur-hiking, I am going SOBO in June so one English man to another welcome & I hope to meet you on the trail. P.S. I live near Boston if you need a place let me know...........:sun :sun :sun

Skidsteer
12-13-2007, 19:04
...I wish Americans would not call the water beween both coutrys (The Pond)...:sun

Just curious. Why not? If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, it seems we are, at worst, sucking up.

Nyati40
12-13-2007, 19:05
Check out Granite Gear's Nimbus Meridian Pack Sizes: short / regular
Weight: 1.6kg / 3lbs 8oz Capacity: 60 liters / 3800 cubes $250 Their support system is the best on the market. Haven't tried it yet but have one on order for a trip on the AT in late March. Going to start in Hot Springs and go North for a few days. Been section hiking for five years and love it. You must come over and give it a go, it's a beutiful trail with great shelters and hikers.

dessertrat
12-13-2007, 19:06
I have been reading this site avidly for a month, incredulous at the irresponsible way in which easily led people, like myself, are encouraged to put aside the important issues in life, to take on a trivial pursuit of quite mind boggling stupidity. I have experience of this insidious cohersion.This year whilst in a moment of weakness, following the usual implosion of modern lives, I was wickedly tricked by a similarly cavalier web page to travel to John O'Groats on the far tip of Scotland and begin, during the wettest summer on record, walking toward the most southerly tip of the British mainland by way of paths. I had no experience, too much kit and no support.

Having no experience, no support, and too much "kit", as you Brits say, is how many people start the Appalachian Trail, so you should be well qualified by now.

If you can afford it, don't you dare not do it! The BA Seedhouse gets some good reviews, but for a solo sleeper, you might be happier with an even lighter tarptent, and staying in shelters on the nights when you can squeeze in.

Brits are fascinated by bears. So are Americans, truth be told. And well we should be. They are a fascinating creature. I would recommend reading Herrero's "Bear Attacks". Rather than scaring you off, it should make you realize that bear attacks are a very rare occurrence, and that most bears do not have much interest in eating you. And in the Eastern U.S., we only have black bears, not the more fearsome grizzlies. (Some bears, to answer your question, are much bigger than a medium sized dog. Many are about that size. Bears are not always 500 pounds in weight).

Kerby
12-13-2007, 19:44
Loose the tent, get a hammock.

Great pack! Thats what I use and its the most comphertable pack I have ever worne.

LIhikers
12-13-2007, 20:00
Jogle, welcome to Whiteblaze.:welcome
Now don't think this problem only goes one way. My wife and I have been doing short section hikes of the AT for a number of years now and all of a sudden the little lady tells me she wants a hiking vacation in the UK. Well, what's a guy to do, so I ask her "which part of the UK, it's a big place?" The answer is she doesn't know where she'd like to go. Can you recommend a trail that we could spend a couple of weeks hiking which would go near some small, quaint towns, that we could walk into and then back out to the trail? Of course passing things like the coast, castles, ancient ruins and remains, and other interesting things would earn me a lot of extra points with the little lady. And if you ask nice you might even be able to talk us into helping you with logistics on this side of the pond.

One suggestion for hiking we got was to look into the Scottish Higlands.

Old Hillwalker
12-13-2007, 20:14
Having been to Western Scotland nine times out of the past 14 years Hillwalking on Skye, and mainly in and around Ft William, Kinlochleven, and Glen Coe. I welcome you to walking in the US. My only LD ramble in Scotland was the West Highland Way from Glasgow to Ft Bill. Most of my walking consisted of staying in hostels and riding Citylink to and from dayhikes. I'm planning a SOBO - MEGA beginning next June. (2008) Come on over.

minnesotasmith
12-13-2007, 22:01
I mean, I only know one person in the colony

Were you referring to the US, the former British (and Dutch, Spanish, and French) colony, or the Britain, the former Italian (e.g., Roman) colony, that you didn't know but one person in? ;)

rafe
12-13-2007, 22:07
You start to get to the point, like myself, where you try your hardest on a hike to see a bear while hiking, and I live in Maine, where they are supposedly everywhere.

I walked about 90% of the trail before I saw my first (and only) bear. It was in Shenandoah Nat. Park. It was a very cool encounter. A big, handsome bear. I think we (the bear and I) were both more surprised than frightened. There are lots of 'em on the AT in New Jersey. I saw fresh bear tracks in NJ, but no bear.

Kerby
12-13-2007, 22:20

Yes, then they grow up.

gaga
12-13-2007, 23:53
don`t worry, somebody will take a before(when you start) and after(when you finish) picture of you on the trail,and post it here in --FACES-- it is called a: mug shot ;):D P.S. there is no escaping now, "just do it"

Nearly Normal
12-14-2007, 01:54
Maps?
We don't need no stinckin maps!

The data book is helpful though.

Nearly Normal

jogle
12-14-2007, 15:50
This is far worse than I expected. Far from being a help site, this is a pusher site! The title of the thread was "Stop me!" Instead I get encouraging words, advice on kit, offers of accomodation. So clever. Smiling faces beckoning from the other side of the rapids -"..come on in ,the waters lovely" Some seem to think I am seriously considering this and am somehow committed. No way.

I have had to draw discouragment where I can. For mistakenly referring to America as a colony I apologise. I have checked this today and it turns out that the US is indeed entirely independent from the UK, and has been for some time. I'll go to the foot of our stairs!!! Sorry about that. No Offence. Anyway, this means I will need a passport (currently out of date), and evidently, because of the special relationship between the two countries, a visa. As I hardened hiker of at least one hike, I view these obstacles as nearly insurmountable. So there.

In addition I have done more research and find greater problems. Staggeringly, it appears that some shelters along the route may not have a full bar. This is extremely discouraging. I do not relish the prospect of sometimes having to rely only on mini bar service, particularly when sharing the said shelters with a disparate selection of strangers. I envisage much opportunity for dispute, and dread the idea of confrontation with some 300lb LA gangster hiker because I've had the last minature scotch. Meanwhile some prissy New York hiker doesn't want to pay for the full bag of peanuts because they put half the packet back, and then aforementioned gangster discovers his vodka is refilled with water and blames the Brit wanting to "pop a cap in my ass". You see I've seen all the down-sides, and its not happening to me. I mused on this last night as I'm sure you can tell.

So today I bought an Osprey Aether. Sat looking despairingly at it resting against the wall. Tried it on, put some weight in it, walked up and down stairs, cooked a meal in it. Wore it with t shirt, tried waterproofs, even clambered over the bed naked in it. And I'm afraid it's just not going to do. Its completely the wrong colour. Good job I didn't get the rain cover. No going back then. No way. Definitely hardened my heart against the idea.

PS Now we have established that the bears are of a wrestlable size...Rattle snakes.. They're just a made up thing ,right?
PPS Hypothetically, what's the best way to get from Atlanta to Spriger thingy. Could I get maps sent straight there?

Dances with Mice
12-14-2007, 16:12
PPS Hypothetically, what's the best way to get from Atlanta to Spriger thingy. Could I get maps sent straight there?

Since it's all hypothetical, either a pink cadillac convertible, a stretch Hummer limo, or a custom Harley. All Americans drive one of those three.

There was one guy who parachuted onto Springer. I don't think a hot air balloon has been done.

Failing that, contact the Hiker Hostel (http://www.hikerhostel.com/index.php).

Skidsteer
12-14-2007, 16:23
PS Now we have established that the bears are of a wrestlable size...Rattle snakes.. They're just a made up thing ,right

They're plastic ones we throw down for laughs.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/6/7/7/9/0903889-R1-034-15A_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=10467&c=member&imageuser=6779)

dessertrat
12-14-2007, 16:25
PS Now we have established that the bears are of a wrestlable size...Rattle snakes.. They're just a made up thing ,right?

All bears are of a wrestlable size, if you don't expect to win.

Rattlesnakes (or Rattlesnacks, as the Indians of the desert southwest used to call them) are the true gentlemen (and ladies) of the trail. They usually rattle at you before they bite you, unlike copperheads. Both of them, honestly, are quite retiring and shy compared to water moccasins (aka cottonmouths) which can actually be aggressive. But it is highly, highly unlikely for you to encounter a water moccasin anywhere near the AT, unless it's a released pet.

And on the topic of poisonous snakes, you can pretty much do a descending probability scale: you are unlikely to encounter them. If you do encounter them, you will most likely see them in time and keep your distance. If you do not see them in time, and come close to them, they are still unlikely to bite you. If they do bite you, they are unlikely to break the skin. If they do break the skin, they are unlikely to inject venom. If they do inject venom, it is unlikely to kill you, even if you do not get medical treatment. However, since you will get medical treatment, you are even more likely to live.

I think what it works out to is your chance of being bitten is about 1 in 10,000, and even if a pit viper bites you, you have about a 1 in 500 chance of dying of it. Multiply the two and you're talking long odds.

And hypothetically speaking, there are people who shuttle hikers from the airport in Atlanta to the trailhead.

Kerby
12-14-2007, 16:25
This is far worse than I expected. Far from being a help site, this is a pusher site! The title of the thread was "Stop me!" Instead I get encouraging words, advice on kit, offers of accomodation. So clever. Smiling faces beckoning from the other side of the rapids -"..come on in ,the waters lovely" Some seem to think I am seriously considering this and am somehow committed. No way.

Aaa yes! Another happless victum falls into our cunning trap.

I have had to draw discouragment where I can. For mistakenly referring to America as a colony I apologise.

No problem, canceling the tar-and-feathering as we speek...

I have checked this today and it turns out that the US is indeed entirely independent from the UK, and has been for some time. I'll go to the foot of our stairs!!! Sorry about that. No Offence.

I have herd it saied that some on your side of the pond refer to the 4th of July as thanksgiving...

Anyway, this means I will need a passport (currently out of date), and evidently, because of the special relationship between the two countries, a visa.

Or you could go threw Canida, or avail yourself of one of a great many "reputable" independent transport serveses in Mexico...

As I hardened hiker of at least one hike, I view these obstacles as nearly insurmountable. So there.

In addition I have done more research and find greater problems. Staggeringly, it appears that some shelters along the route may not have a full bar.

Thats what "cammal packs" are for.

This is extremely discouraging. I do not relish the prospect of sometimes having to rely only on mini bar service, particularly when sharing the said shelters with a disparate selection of strangers. I envisage much opportunity for dispute, and dread the idea of confrontation with some 300lb LA gangster hiker because I've had the last minature scotch.

Not a problem my friend! LA Gangers all hike the PAC (its closer), and wouldent touch a mini-scotch to save there lives-if they get to drunk they cant stick the artery.

Meanwhile some prissy New York hiker doesn't want to pay for the full bag of peanuts because they put half the packet back,

IMMPOSSABLE! Even the prissy new yourkers are are famous for how much they can eat on the trail. They will deffinatly finnish the whole bag.

and then aforementioned gangster discovers his vodka is refilled with water and blames the Brit wanting to "pop a cap in my ass". You see I've seen all the down-sides, and its not happening to me. I mused on this last night as I'm sure you can tell.

Again, no worries. He is much more likely to use a shank.
So today I bought an Osprey Aether.

great pack!

Sat looking despairingly at it resting against the wall. Tried it on, put some weight in it, walked up and down stairs, cooked a meal in it.

Was that on bake or on broil?

Wore it with t shirt, tried waterproofs, even clambered over the bed naked in it. And I'm afraid it's just not going to do. Its completely the wrong colour. Good job I didn't get the rain cover. No going back then. No way. Definitely hardened my heart against the idea.

Hear again we have your back! Two words-Waterproof spray-paint!

Umm, sure, whatever you say. It's the Snipes you realy have to hunt for.

Taxie, Hiker shuttles (don't know the link, others may), or the ever popular thumb.

As usual, glad to help.

Dances with Mice
12-14-2007, 16:30
But it is highly, highly unlikely for you to encounter a water moccasin anywhere near the AT, unless it's a released pet...While true, I think that just told him more about Americans than about snakes.

Marta
12-14-2007, 16:41
... However, since you will get medical treatment, you are even more likely to live.

But later, when you get the bill, you will probably die of shock. Or wish you could.

dessertrat
12-14-2007, 16:51
But later, when you get the bill, you will probably die of shock. Or wish you could.

Good point. Get health insurance! Something they don't worry about in Britain. (Oh no, here comes that debate again. . . )

LIhikers
12-14-2007, 16:51
I have herd it saied that some on your side of the pond refer to the 4th of July as thanksgiving...

ah, makes me remember the time I celebrated the 4th of July in a Brit bar in the heart of Amsterdam. But that's a story for a whole other web site.

LIhikers
12-14-2007, 17:04
[quote=jogle;473556]
Meanwhile some prissy New York hiker doesn't want to pay for the full bag of peanuts because.....[quote]

Hey buddy, New Yorkers don't get prissy, not even the woman. YOU UNDERSTAND THAT??? You might try a different word, but certainly not prissy, unless it means sumthin different on your side of the pond, and even if it does we don't care, got it? Ya know, we didn't go to all that trouble of having a revolution just so you could call us prissy.........lol :cool:
Prissy, prissy, I can't believe he called us New Yorkers prissy
Man you've set me off, I can't believe you called us prissy.
DON'T EVER CALL ME PRISSY AGAIN, you got that bloke?:D
Have a good day!

Swirlingmist
12-14-2007, 17:22
But it is highly, highly unlikely for you to encounter a water moccasin anywhere near the AT, unless it's a released pet...
While true, I think that just told him more about Americans than about snakes.

LOL - This particular American likes to keep her distance from everything that slithers regardless of size, danger, and location. I even have trouble looking at pictures of snakes, so it's good to know the chance of encountering them on the trail is low (even lower since I'll hike with my boyfriend who preserves his eardrums by warning me where NOT to look/step).

Pedaling Fool
12-14-2007, 18:08
...In addition I have done more research and find greater problems. Staggeringly, it appears that some shelters along the route may not have a full bar. This is extremely discouraging. I do not relish the prospect of sometimes having to rely only on mini bar service, particularly when sharing the said shelters with a disparate selection of strangers...
Thank God for Her Majesty's Naval ships, always had a bar for us American swabbies any where in the world.
The American Navy adopted many traditions and practices from Great Britain's Navy, not sure how we messed-up and banned alcohol from ships.

Kerby
12-14-2007, 18:27
WHAT! I thought you squids lived on grog?

Swirlingmist
12-14-2007, 18:30
WHAT! I thought you squids lived on grog?

Only pirates (or privateers) could be counted as "living" off grog :D

Think Spring
12-14-2007, 18:35
I, too, spread kudos for the Granite Gear packs and the use of a "tarp tent" for nights not inside shelter's or hostle's. Tarptent's can be accesssed online if you're interested. Huge advice,....keep the total pack weight as small as possible. I once started at Springer with 54 pounds, but now am toting only 24, to include three day's of food.

4eyedbuzzard
12-14-2007, 19:15

What we haven't been completely honest about is that we Whiteblaze members own all the pubs, hotels, hostels, restaurants, laudromats, and outfitter stores along the entire AT corridor. You perhaps think this will be an opportune time to come hike in our lovely woods, no doubt, with the exchange rate so much in your favour(note condescending use of pub and favour). [Jack up the prices boys! The British are coming]

Just hire a carriage old chap.[We own them too!!!] Tell the driver to take the "Augusta shortcut" to Amicolola so you can get a glimpse of Magnolia Lane at The National. (You will be visiting The Augusta National while here, correct? I certainly wouldn't go on holiday in Scotland and be disrespectful by failing to visit The Old Course. Matter of common decency, sir.)

jogle
12-15-2007, 13:07
Wow! so much more discouraging. I am indebted to DessertRat for his statistical analysis on the probability of being bitten by a snake. Also for pointing out that my worries on rattlesnakes were entirely misplaced, as copperheads and cottonmouths are the real danger (...and later something called a snipe appears to want to kill me). This is all very scientific. But consider, what are the chances of me meeting someone from New York, and then say inadvertently blurting out that some New Yorkers maybe prissy, then consider the chances of them getting upset (this bit appears to be quite high... so far 100%:rolleyes: ). Bundle all this together and its unlikely-but it happens to me all the time.

Kirby tries to make it sound more encouraging but only succeeds in pointing out that I'm unlikey to be shot, but may well be stabbed. Add to this, if I get run over by a car on a logging road it will definitely be a tank sized cadillac or hummer, that my injuries will not be treated unless I hand over my first born, after which the locals are just waiting to rip me off further. We haven't even got into insects and disease yet! To be honest, if you see a bear the best thing to do would be to hide behind it.

I've added all these negatives to the list of cons and its massive. Everthing from passports and visas, through kit (water filter I bought on US EBay hasn't been seen- paypal donation probably to LA crack hikers ammunition fund) and timescale, never working again after taking a year out at 46, homelessness, violence, and indeed near certain death. On the pro side its says "might be good".

My shiny new pack is standing against the wall, next to the ripped and stained old pack that I bought only 4 months ago. I can see from here that I dated and signed the lid(pretentious or what?), the day I started walking in Scotland. This pack is a reflection of myself. Its cheap, not up to the journey in hand, and like me, started to fall to bits from the minute I started walking. Gradually bits fell off and it smelled of fields and sweat, and I cursed it. It is a sorry and sad pack. But you know, turn it over and the straps will still attach a world to your back, and there on the other side of the lid, it is signed and dated at Lands End. It is retired, but next to it, this shiny new pack... well at the moment, it is just a lot of fancy nylon and webbing. And it really makes me think. This might be very good.

PS If I got the maps and guides sent to the start hiker hostel, I could take what I need out the box, add some things, and bump the rest up the path using the same box and your famous pony express. Does this sound a good idea?

dessertrat
12-15-2007, 13:26
Also for pointing out that my worries on rattlesnakes were entirely misplaced, as copperheads and cottonmouths are the real danger (...and later something called a snipe appears to want to kill me).

The Cottonheaded Coppermouthed Snipe is the true danger.

dessertrat
12-15-2007, 13:31
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8b/Commonsnipe67.jpg/250px-Commonsnipe67.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Commonsnipe67.jpg)

This is the Cottonheaded Coppermouthed Snipe. Beware the stabbity beak.

Marta
12-15-2007, 13:45
PS If I got the maps and guides sent to the start hiker hostel, I could take what I need out the box, add some things, and bump the rest up the path using the same box and your famous pony express. Does this sound a good idea?

Yes. I think you've figured out how to solve about 90% of the logistical issues of the hike. The rest you can figure out when the occasion arises.

Venture
01-14-2008, 22:11
Welcome to the GAME herd 2008! Hope you can see some bears and some moose!

Blue Jay
01-16-2008, 11:19
Actually America does not exist outside of the Simpsons. As you shall soon learn. On the trail most of us Homers are skinny and have beards but you will quickly recognise us. No one is trying to discourage you because we like Limeys. You're almost the only ones left that is dumb enough to still like us. :welcome

LIhikers
01-16-2008, 12:18
It's not the Cottonheaded Coppermouthed Snipe that you need to worry about, it's the 19,306,183 prissy New Yorkers that'll be lining the 94 miles of trail that go through our state. I hear there's already a reservation for you at The Gate Of Heaven cemetary, which the AT goes right past in NY.

JOGLE, while the above is offered in good fun, I hope you have a grrrrrrreat hike. :)

jogle
03-05-2008, 17:35
I'm back and I'm in. I attempted to ignore this site - apologies to posters to whom I did not reply. I thought I might get back on track with real life but yesterday I booked a flight to Atlanta, gave notice on rented house, and booked a place in the Hiker Hostel.
Mail Drops planned - 0
Fitness - 3 months drinking and lying down ( went for a walk this week).
Worries - cold, bears, snakes, no support, no companionship.
Confidence - massive

Will be on Springer 28/03/08 ( no, not the 3rd day of the 28th month!!!- 3 weeks time)
Need hiking companions and will post a mobile for US when organised. Experience tells me that first 3 days are agony, followed by 2 weeks hard slog, then a breeze to 1000 mile mark. After that its an unknown.

Lilred
03-05-2008, 18:18
I'm back and I'm in. I attempted to ignore this site - apologies to posters to whom I did not reply. I thought I might get back on track with real life but yesterday I booked a flight to Atlanta, gave notice on rented house, and booked a place in the Hiker Hostel.
Mail Drops planned - 0
Confidence - massive

Will be on Springer 28/03/08 ( no, not the 3rd day of the 28th month!!!- 3 weeks time)
Need hiking companions and will post a mobile for US when organised. Experience tells me that first 3 days are agony, followed by 2 weeks hard slog, then a breeze to 1000 mile mark. After that its an unknown.

Welcome back!! :)
You'll do fine. Great plan. I had the same fitness routine as you when I first started sectioning, only without the walk.

No Worries for companionship, you'll be surrounded. Cold, snakes, bears are probably inevitable, but rarely all at once.

Have a great hike!!

Tinker
03-05-2008, 18:19
Welcome to a fine bit of madness! :):):)

jogle
03-10-2008, 17:48
My Ebay tent is currently residing at hiker hostel. I am sure that Josh and Leigh have better things to do, so I am challenging any current residents to assemble said Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1 and find any faults on my behalf. I can then hold them responsible for my fiding that their are no pegs or such like on my first night on mountains.

A special prize if you can do it blindfolded. Please let me know if you get chance to take up challenge.

Thanks in advance.

dessertrat
03-10-2008, 17:52
If you don't have pegs (stakes), use little sticks and pray.

Best of luck. Maybe I'll run into you the end of May/early June in Shenandoah.

Heater
03-10-2008, 17:56
Will be on Springer 28/03/08 ( no, not the 3rd day of the 28th month!!!

Dayum. I am glad you told me that 'cause I was really gettin' confused! :confused:

:D

Good luck. :sun

dessertrat
03-10-2008, 18:01
Mail Drops planned - 0
Confidence - massive

Oh, and be careful: no thru-hiker has ever been killed by a bear. You might be the first!

cowboy nichols
03-10-2008, 18:13
Welcome-- hope you keep a journal I like your sense of humor and writting style. Good luck on your hike.

xanadu
03-10-2008, 19:10
My Ebay tent is currently residing at hiker hostel. I am sure that Josh and Leigh have better things to do, so I am challenging any current residents to assemble said Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1 and find any faults on my behalf. I can then hold them responsible for my fiding that their are no pegs or such like on my first night on mountains.

A special prize if you can do it blindfolded. Please let me know if you get chance to take up challenge.

Thanks in advance.

That's funny you mentioned the SL1. I just came back from the bedroom where I tried to put my SL 1 together for the first time. Big mistake. I guess I'll go on line and look for some instructions. Tent, cover for tent and foot pad.......... :-?
If you all see some guy sleeping against some tree in the morning, that would be me !!

minnesotasmith
03-10-2008, 19:39
Welcome-- hope you keep a journal I like your sense of humor and writting style. Good luck on your hike.

He writes like the Mogambu Guru, and is as funny IMO.

Good luck on your hiking.

Carp
03-10-2008, 20:07
Just hire a carriage old chap.[We own them too!!!] Tell the driver to take the "Augusta shortcut" to Amicolola so you can get a glimpse of Magnolia Lane at The National. (You will be visiting The Augusta National while here, correct? I certainly wouldn't go on holiday in Scotland and be disrespectful by failing to visit The Old Course. Matter of common decency, sir.)

Been living in Augusta for 10 years my friend, and I've yet to lay eyes, hands, feet, or other, less savory appendages on The National. They don't let the plebes in there don't ya know.

They do have a lovely fence around it though.

budforester
03-10-2008, 20:36
You may wish to hurry on over and include trails north and south of the AT to enhance your experience.

Bears are small and timid, but very friendly when you have food.

jogle
03-10-2008, 20:43
To all, hiya!

To Dessert Rat - I just bought my insurance for this trip, and the shock to my system has left me knowing that if it looks likely that I'm not going to use even half of my $10 million medical cover, then the bears and snakes will be pursued relentlessly throught he 100mile wilderness, crashing through the forest with cries of "Come on you bastards, lets be having you." I hate wasting money - I mean I hate wasting my money.

To Xanadu - The best bit of hiking is putting all your kit up in your bedroom and then watching telly whilst drinking and dreaming of the great outdoors.

To all - no idea how to keep a journal, give us a clue.

To all - very serious about someone checking the tent at hiker hostel!

Lilred
03-10-2008, 21:16
You could call Josh or Leigh, the proprieters of Hiker Hostel. I'm sure they'd be happy to help with the tent issue.

You can keep an online journal through www.trailjournals.com

There are plenty of computers to access along the trail towns.

dessertrat
03-10-2008, 21:28
To all, hiya!

To Dessert Rat - I just bought my insurance for this trip, and the shock to my system has left me knowing that if it looks likely that I'm not going to use even half of my $10 million medical cover, then the bears and snakes will be pursued relentlessly throught he 100mile wilderness, crashing through the forest with cries of "Come on you bastards, lets be having you." I hate wasting money - I mean I hate wasting my money.

To Xanadu - The best bit of hiking is putting all your kit up in your bedroom and then watching telly whilst drinking and dreaming of the great outdoors.

To all - no idea how to keep a journal, give us a clue.

To all - very serious about someone checking the tent at hiker hostel!

Well, of course you need private travel insurance if you're a Brit traveling in the United States. . . otherwise, a visit to the emergency room here would bankrupt you, and we'd export you to the debtor's colony in Australia.

The hundred mile wilderness is the worst place for catching bears. They still hunt bears in Maine, so the bears there are very shy and tend to run at first scent of you. Or maybe it's the fact that you are near the end of your hike and look wilder and smell wilder? The Smokies and Shenandoah are more likely to yield a "friendly" bear. Don't feed him, not even if he dances for you. Also, chasing snakes through Maine is a losing proposition-- there are no poisonous snakes in Maine. Maybe you should start in the North, and chase bears and snakes in the Smokies?

Remember that rattlesnakes and copperheads like warmer weather. You are more likely to see them from Virginia to Penn., but might see them anywhere from GA to MA. It is rare to see a poisonous snake in New Hampshire, and they don't exist in Maine. Any snake you see in Maine will not be poisonous. Don't be paranoid about snakes, just don't be careless. Watch where you step and where you put your hands.

You seem to have a good sense of humor, which is ingredient number one for a successful long distance hiker. Combined with the fact that you've already done some long distance hiking, and that's a good recipe for success. Some day in August or September, you are going to be standing on Katahdin at the end of a great trip over terrain and scenery not to be found anywhere else in the world.

If you're not keeping a journal on trailjournals.com, then I hope you will pop in here when you're able and give us an update.

jogle
03-11-2008, 16:16
There are plenty of computers to access along the trail towns.

This has revolutionised my thinking on what to pack, as a friend living abroad had previously brought to my attention this amazing gadget. If enough people get together they will manufacture in titanium!

I believe this could replace most of the weight in my pack.

Sorry only have european link, but its self explanatory so you Yanks can ignore the German dialogue.

http://www.mensup.fr/usbwine/usbwine.swf

Thanks LilRed, I'm considering trail journals.:)

GGS2
03-11-2008, 18:07
Sorry only have european link, but its self explanatory so you Yanks can ignore the German dialogue.

Sorry, but that language is French! They have better red wine, anyway.

LIhikers
03-11-2008, 22:19
Let's see, if Jogle is starting 3/28/08 we don't have to start getting the New York welcome ready until................................

Happy hiking, maybe my wife and I will run into you while we're out doing our annual summer section hike. We'll be mostly in the state of Vermont sometime during the summer.

jogle
03-12-2008, 12:14
Sorry, but that language is French! They have better red wine, anyway.

Selon vous!!

jogle
04-15-2008, 09:53
19 days ago I sat in this Atlanta hotel after flying from UK and found out that I had to fly back to England immediately for a critically ill family member. After much agonising I'm back and in poor shape, but I will be on Springer tomorrow I think. I need someone to carry my pack?

Doctari
04-15-2008, 10:28
Sorry to say, but it is way too late for you. Any help you may have gotten you needed to get BEFORE that first long hike. Now, well my granny used to say: "It's like closin the barn door AFTER the cows escaped!"

So any time you feel like you want to quit

Just

Say

MOO.

:p

Frau
04-15-2008, 13:24
Jogle, when you pass through our neck of the woods--that being Dragon's Tooth north to The Priest. If we see you hitching from Snowden to Glasgow, we will give you a lift!

Frau and Nessmuk

The Solemates
04-15-2008, 16:15
This is what whiteblaze is all about. Thanks for the laugh guys!

Storyteller56
06-22-2008, 11:10
Mystery Ranch of Bozeman, Mt makes a great pack they are a bit exspensive, but trully a great pack to carry. I have been carrying 70 lbs & it is so comfortable that
sometime I don't take it off all day!!