PDA

View Full Version : Looking for map

Mrs Baggins
12-13-2007, 18:41
We're looking for a very large (25" x 34" would be best) map of the AT for framing. We already have a frame and mat and we're taking an old map out of it that we don't want anymore. We'd rather have an AT map. It should be well done, color is best, and definitely suitable for framing - not some cheesy poster. I've checked ebay and other AT sites but can only come up with usual stuff. Somewhere out there someone must be doing AT artwork-style maps. Feel free to email me at [email protected] if you know where I can find such a thing. :confused:

Roland
12-13-2007, 18:49
Have you seen these?

Classic Appalachian Trail Poster Map (https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=222&compid=1)

A.T. Strip Map Poster--Laminated & Mounted (https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=221&compid=1)

Appalachian Trail Poster Map-Strip (https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=198&compid=1)

Appalachian Tater
12-13-2007, 19:58
It is usually better to buy a frame for art rather than art for a frame. Quality tends to be better that way. If you have a beautiful old frame, get a bevelled mirror cut to fit and use it in a guest bathroom.

Mrs Baggins
12-14-2007, 08:01
It is usually better to buy a frame for art rather than art for a frame. Quality tends to be better that way. If you have a beautiful old frame, get a bevelled mirror cut to fit and use it in a guest bathroom.

I realize that, but this particular frame/mat was custom made and cost over $300. I could easily have a new mat inserted to fit something else but I'm not parting with the frame and it goes too well in our living room to put it somewhere else.

mudhead
12-14-2007, 08:03
Plus it had a map in it.

Plus you like it where it is.

Good luck finding the perfect piece.

Appalachian Tater
12-14-2007, 08:56
Maybe you could commission something from an illustrator or artist whose work you have seen in a magazine or in a show at a nearby art school. Many student artists and most illustrators would love to have the work. Unfortunately, you would also have to find one willing to make something to fit a particular frame and ask them without insulting them.

Or could you use a framed mirror in your living room?

Or you could always have the frame re-sized!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-14-2007, 08:58
We're looking for a very large (25" x 34" would be best) map of the AT for framing. We already have a frame and mat and we're taking an old map out of it that we don't want anymore. We'd rather have an AT map. It should be well done, color is best, and definitely suitable for framing - not some cheesy poster. I've checked ebay and other AT sites but can only come up with usual stuff. Somewhere out there someone must be doing AT artwork-style maps. Feel free to email me at [email protected] if you know where I can find such a thing. :confused:Mrs. Baggins, since a map of the AT is likely to be too long and narrow to use in a frame this size, may I suggest a custom montage of some of your favorable photos of the AT with a map of the AT superimposed above in a semitransparent base?

kayak karl
12-14-2007, 09:57
if u find something u like. take it to a print shop have it enlaged or shrunk to fit. they can antique it to. just an idea