PDA

View Full Version : a funny thing happened .......

kayak karl
12-13-2007, 21:09
a funny thing happened at the river today, i went down to test my new waterproof socks. things were going well until i was called to the bulkhead by an officer. as i walked up i noticed other officers to my right and left. my first thought was run in the river and say "im in delaware"(local joke), but my shoes were in jersey. to make a long story short, 8 cop cars, 1 hour of my time, they figured out i was weird not crazy. they thought i was commiting suicide. somebody filled there pockets with rocks and walked into the deleware 10 yrs ago and died. i was picking up rocks,they were shinny! in the future i will use my bathtub.
PS if it helps with the visual. i was wearing frogg toggs with the cuffs rolled up and a cap that says GET-R-DONE.:)

doggiebag
12-13-2007, 21:15
That's hilarious. That's why I try to do all equipment field tests as far away from visual range of the concerned citizenry. They just dont understand.

CaseyB
12-13-2007, 21:25
The "I'm in Delaware" joke didn't have anything to do with Wayne's World, did it?

mudhead
12-13-2007, 21:27
Good visual! How many times you have to repeat yourself?

So now the important part.

How 'bout them fancy socks?

kayak karl
12-13-2007, 21:41
The "I'm in Delaware" joke didn't have anything to do with Wayne's World, did it?
NO, delaware OWNS to low tide. they control the river.

kayak karl
12-13-2007, 21:42
Good visual! How many times you have to repeat yourself?

So now the important part.

How 'bout them fancy socks?
socks worked great and so did the frogg toggs.

bullseye
12-13-2007, 21:43

It's a local joke. Delaware owns the Delaware River all the way to the Jersey shore. If you own land in NJ and want to build a dock in the Delaware you have to get permission from DE:-? . Go figure.

bullseye
12-13-2007, 21:46
a funny thing happened at the river today, i went down to test my new waterproof socks. things were going well until i was called to the bulkhead by an officer. as i walked up i noticed other officers to my right and left. my first thought was run in the river and say "im in delaware"(local joke), but my shoes were in jersey. to make a long story short, 8 cop cars, 1 hour of my time, they figured out i was weird not crazy. they thought i was commiting suicide. somebody filled there pockets with rocks and walked into the deleware 10 yrs ago and died. i was picking up rocks,they were shinny! in the future i will use my bathtub.
PS if it helps with the visual. i was wearing frogg toggs with the cuffs rolled up and a cap that says GET-R-DONE.:)
Shoulda told 'em you saw one too many Bruce Willis movies (another Jersey joke:rolleyes: )!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-13-2007, 21:47
:::: Dino is having hard time resisting photoshopping this ::::

Cuffs
12-13-2007, 21:49

I was hoping you'd chime in here!

kayak karl
12-13-2007, 21:52
Shoulda told 'em you saw one too many Bruce Willis movies (another Jersey joke:rolleyes: )!
funny thing, i was 200 yards from Bruno's dads house.

kayak karl
12-13-2007, 22:00
It's a local joke. Delaware owns the Delaware River all the way to the Jersey shore. If you own land in NJ and want to build a dock in the Delaware you have to get permission from DE:-? . Go figure.
i was hit by a wave runner in my kayak. the river police came and got me. they could not take me to NJ. so they took me to the UP THE CREEK BAR in delaware off the christiana river. First time i got picked up by the cops and taken to a bar.:D

wrongway_08
12-13-2007, 22:03
hahahahaha

CaseyB
12-13-2007, 22:39
NO, delaware OWNS to low tide. they control the river.
Oh I see...I thought in was in reference to this:

Wayne-Or imagine being magically swept away to...Delaware. Hi. I'm in Delaware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N588OvzQik4

Robusto
12-13-2007, 23:10
Great laugh! Now we need pictures from the crime scene.
BTW my friend was caught setting up a tarp on his beach in front of the Million Dollar condo he lives in. No I.D. just in shorts. You guys should get together, maybe the FBI would be called in to investigate.

Jan LiteShoe
12-13-2007, 23:16
Score! What a great pre-hike, gear-testing story you have!

How in the world did you talk them out of the insanity concerns?
;-)

Appalachian Tater
12-13-2007, 23:17
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=delaware+google+maps&sourceid=mozilla2&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&um=1&sa=N&tab=wl

Wow, that is weird about the state line. The spit of land on the Jersey side south of New Castle is Delaware, too, I guess it was deposited there after the boundary was determined.

Robusto
12-13-2007, 23:20
I can see them questioning you.......

The Griner boys brought these cars down to you from Orie, is that right?
Right.
You happen to see another man with 'em up there?
There was someone, wasn't there?
I think so, yes.
Before you go, buddy, let me ask you something.
How come you all ended up with four life jackets?
Didn't we have an extra one?
No.
Drew wasn't wearin' his.
Well, how come he wasn't wearin' it?
I don't know.
Don't ever do nothin' like this again.
Don't come back up here.
You don't have to worry about that, Sheriff.

Name the movie

Appalachian Tater
12-13-2007, 23:26
That kid was a real local, not an actor.

Montego
12-13-2007, 23:40
Just watched that movie last week, but I ain't tellin'. That's me story 'n I'm stickin' to it :D

Tennessee Viking
12-14-2007, 00:25
PS if it helps with the visual. i was wearing frogg toggs with the cuffs rolled up and a cap that says GET-R-DONE.:)Thats a "here's your sign."

I would think the first officer would have made effort to call you to shore with the bullhorn. But no 8. Sounds like one of those 'how many does it take' jokes

Roots
12-14-2007, 00:29

And we're called rednecks...:D

Smile
12-14-2007, 00:33
Hi KK,
you a river rat? Or just yakking for fun :)

Lellers
12-14-2007, 07:20
Just got hit by a wave of nostalgia! Haven't heard the Delaware joke for a looong time. I was raised "up north" in Paulsboro. (Have pity on me. I'm still trying to get refinery stench out of my hair.)

mudhead
12-14-2007, 07:36
socks worked great and so did the frogg toggs.

Cool. Good story to go with them. Trying to explain to a bunch of city cops must have been interesting.

I would pay a dollar to hear what the cops had to say about it later.

Maybe 2 dollars.

CaseyB
12-14-2007, 18:57
Name the movie

This river don't go to Aintree

sum41punk91
12-20-2007, 20:44
Sounds like a story that happened to me... no cops involved fortunately but; My friend and i were hiking in Highland Hammock park and there are about a dozen interconnecting trails... we got off one and we were getting ready to take the road back to our campsite when my friend goes "i gotta pee ill be right back" and started walking down the nearest trail. Now knowing this guy since i was 3 we screw with eachother alot so i hid behind a tree to scare him with my back turned to the road and wouldnt you know a ranger pulls up and yells, "of all the places to urinate?!" i turned around and laughed and told him i was getting ready to scare my friend comin off the trail, and he made an oops face said sorry and drove away, the funniest part is that is exactly what my friend went to do.

kayak karl
12-20-2007, 23:43
Sounds like a story that happened to me... no cops involved fortunately but; My friend and i were hiking in Highland Hammock park and there are about a dozen interconnecting trails... we got off one and we were getting ready to take the road back to our campsite when my friend goes "i gotta pee ill be right back" and started walking down the nearest trail. Now knowing this guy since i was 3 we screw with eachother alot so i hid behind a tree to scare him with my back turned to the road and wouldnt you know a ranger pulls up and yells, "of all the places to urinate?!" i turned around and laughed and told him i was getting ready to scare my friend comin off the trail, and he made an oops face said sorry and drove away, the funniest part is that is exactly what my friend went to do.
was camping at mulica river wilderness site, wharton track, nj(1980). john and i left 10 min early before the other 6 canoes. we backed in to an off stream and waited for our group. john smeared mud on his face. grabbed a bottle of whisky. took a shot and poured one into the river and yelled "ONE FOR ME AND ONE FOR THE RIVER GODS. i paddled forward to attack our friends, while he yelled again "WE ARE HERE TO ATTACK (its not what he said, but need to be polite) PILLAGE AND PLUNDER". we surprised them. BUT our friends let the BAPTIST group leave first. damn, those Baptists can paddle.
It was a long, long way to Crowley's Landing:datz

Heater
12-21-2007, 13:51

"Austexs" is wondering.... Why?

THEmapMAKER
12-21-2007, 14:09
Wow, that is weird about the state line. The spit of land on the Jersey side south of New Castle is Delaware, too, I guess it was deposited there after the boundary was determined.

The Delaware River was dredged and that is where they put all the stuff that was dredged up from the bottom of the river. It is now a wildlie refuge or something. Delaware owns up to the low water line mark determined in 1935. The dredging occured after 1935.

kayak karl
08-26-2016, 13:15
This delaware river thing came up at work today. remembered this thread :)