PDA

View Full Version : Safe Winter Hiking????

bolickj
12-14-2007, 09:46
I know the trail us usually very safe but in light of recent crimes, and the fact I do alot of winter hiking, I am wondering how to protect myself from any trouble that might come my way. I thought maybe carry a small bottle of pepper spray but any other ideas on just how to be safe if you happen to get into a situation. Espeacially being a woman I worry!! Would love any advice!!:o

Thanks,
Jennifer

Hooch
12-14-2007, 09:51
I know the trail us usually very safe but in light of recent crimes, and the fact I do alot of winter hiking, I am wondering how to protect myself from any trouble that might come my way. I thought maybe carry a small bottle of pepper spray but any other ideas on just how to be safe if you happen to get into a situation. Espeacially being a woman I worry!! Would love any advice!!:o

Thanks,
Jennifer
Jennifer, the ATC has a section on their site (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.794153/k.9D5E/Health_and_Safety.htm) that discusses safety on the trail. Give it a read if you like, it's under the section "Is crime a problem?".

dixicritter
12-14-2007, 09:52
First I'd like to welcome you to WB on your very first post.

Secondly, I'd like to say that for the most part the trail is relatively a safe place to be.

Thirdly, I want to caution everyone else to keep this thread civilized.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-14-2007, 09:56
Welcome to the site, Jennifer. I hiked alone for many years and never had a problem with other hikers. If I was approached by someone that made me uncomfortable, I would ask if they had seen the others with me... this gave the impression that others were in the area and knew where I was....

Most people who hike in the winter time are serious hikers and are not going to be a problem for you.

I would add that camping near road crossings is not a good idea for anyone. Most of the limited amount of crime on the AT happens very close to road crossings.

Hooch
12-14-2007, 09:57
First I'd like to welcome you to WB on your very first post. Oh gosh, I didn't even notice. :welcome Welcome aboard! I grew up in Charlotte, still have family there, maybe moving back after the first of the year. :banana Anyway, welcome to WhiteBlaze!

Just a Hiker
12-14-2007, 10:02
Since you are an experienced winter hiker, you already know how quiet the trail is during the winter. Your people and animal contact will be minimal depending where you hike, but as always, be careful around people on the trail and trailheads who don't have the typical "hiker" look. Have fun!

Just Jim

4eyedbuzzard
12-14-2007, 10:23
Avoid letting anyone(other than your home contacts)know you are hiking alone. Don't let strangers see you leave the trailhead alone. Wait for traffic to pass, etc. Leave an itinerary with a friend, don't camp near roads, be wary of shelters, blah, blah, blah. Most criminals are opportunists. They don't like hard work(duh). And most aren't usually hardy outdoors types either. They're much more likely to be out in the summer when the weather's nicer and the potential victims are more numerous.

gsingjane
12-14-2007, 10:42
Welcome to WB! I hope you will enjoy it!

Winter hiking is fun but as you note, can be somewhat solitary. If it were me, and I thought the worry might spoil my good time, I'd try to find someone to go with me. Just having another person around could really make you feel more comfortable, and would also help with general weather-related safety (i.e., if you were to have an accident on the trail, in the winter there won't be as many hikers likely to come along and find you). Another good reason to have a partner is health-related, if you started to really chill out (hypothermia), hopefully your partner would realize it and help you get warm.

I'd think you could find a potential partner through a local hiking club, word of mouth, this board, or maybe your local gear store.

I've never hiked with a weapon or deterrent like pepper spray; it seems like you might have to hike with your finger on the trigger so to speak, in order to have it available in an emergency, and this might be uncomfortable or upsetting in some way. But this depends on your own feelings about it, of course. I know some women hike with guns and maybe this is for you, although I guess I'd want to practice with it ahead of time and make sure it was legal. Again, though, it seems easier to me to just find another person and avoid all that, but YMMV.

Good luck!

Jane in CT

Blissful
12-14-2007, 10:49
I was always careful at road crossings myself. There were times I hid out, etc until it looked safe. Use your instincts and look like you know what you're doing. Don't be listening to a mp3 player that can make you seem distracted. Tent in non public areas.

bolickj
12-14-2007, 10:50
Thank you so much for your advice!! You guys have been very helpful!!! thanks for the good luck!!! Happy hiking!!

Frau
12-14-2007, 19:47
Hey from SW Va,

Like Blissful, I also live about 10 miles from the AT. I hike alone alot and find myself answering the "aren't you afraid" question a lot. I ALWAYS have my dog with me. He is a big silly goose and wouldn't hurt a flea, but I tell folks he is SAR and Schutzhund cross-trained and that he knows Czech commands, IF they ask.

I have only one time seen someone who didn't look like he belonged. It was at a time when a murderer was being sought for a killing on the Blue Ridge Parkway. He was on a spur off both the AT AND the Parkway-- no pack, not even a water bottle. I changed my walk to a trail run, plotted an escape route in my mind and called the dog. Nothing came of the encounter, but planning made me feel better. My advice is to have a plan and if you can, a dog.

Frau

dessertrat
12-14-2007, 22:03
Avoid letting anyone(other than your home contacts)know you are hiking alone. Don't let strangers see you leave the trailhead alone. Wait for traffic to pass, etc. Leave an itinerary with a friend, don't camp near roads, be wary of shelters, blah, blah, blah. Most criminals are opportunists. They don't like hard work(duh). And most aren't usually hardy outdoors types either. They're much more likely to be out in the summer when the weather's nicer and the potential victims are more numerous.

Yes, it's unlikely for a criminal to climb a mountain to victimize someone when he would have better luck and less effort hanging out outside a fitness center in a city.

gsingjane
12-15-2007, 08:47
This is something I think about, too... why would anyone climb over hill and dale (especially in the dark!) on the off-chance he might find someone, who would probably only have some old pack and a bunch of ramen noodles anyhow, when he could easily find a car or house to break into, or a store to rip off? Criminals are criminals because they're lazy, etc. etc.

OTOH, when I'm thinking all this in the dark, listening to snap crackle pop out there, it is not quite as comforting. I know in the rational part of my brain it's true, but the primal part still needs some convincing!

Jane in CT

CoyoteWhips
12-15-2007, 09:36
OTOH, when I'm thinking all this in the dark, listening to snap crackle pop out there, it is not quite as comforting. I know in the rational part of my brain it's true, but the primal part still needs some convincing!

That's actually a primary reason I enjoy the wilderness. It's a reminder that the safety of the city is mostly an illusion -- wake up the monkey brain and let it process the senses for a while.

The difference between being near the bottom of the food chain and the near the top is a relatively large brain and a pointy stick.

camojack
12-15-2007, 09:44
I want to caution everyone else to keep this thread civilized.
What fun is that?! :D
Anyway, I prefer doing my Winter hiking in Hawaii (http://gallery.backcountry.net/HI-2007)... :jump

4eyedbuzzard
12-15-2007, 10:02
This is something I think about, too... why would anyone climb over hill and dale (especially in the dark!) on the off-chance he might find someone, who would probably only have some old pack and a bunch of ramen noodles anyhow, when he could easily find a car or house to break into, or a store to rip off? Criminals are criminals because they're lazy, etc. etc.

Jane in CT

I agree it's extremely unlikely any criminal will hike over hill and dale to steal gear. But without being sexist, a female hiking alone should take extra precautions to make sure she isn't being followed, for all the obvious reasons.

SGT Rock
12-15-2007, 10:12
I don't think it is sexist. Based on the few murders and attacks that have happened on the trail, women are more likely to have issues than a man. As I recall the majority of men that have had problems are ones that were with women which were the part of the reason for the attack in the first place. So a woman that is going to hike is only being smart in taking it as a concern. I just don't think the danger is so great it should discourage any women.

That said - I rarely post here on the women forum so I am going to bow out now.

Marta
12-15-2007, 10:31
I just don't think the danger is so great it should discourage any women.

That said - I rarely post here on the women forum so I am going to bow out now.

I absolutely agree.

I can see why you rarely post on this forum, Sgt.--you have reason to tread carefully around the person who runs it.:D

dixicritter
12-15-2007, 11:37
I absolutely agree.

I can see why you rarely post on this forum, Sgt.--you have reason to tread carefully around the person who runs it.:D

Now that's funny right there Marta...LOL.

I also agree that women shouldn't be discouraged from getting out there. Like I said in my first post, I tend to feel that the woods are a relatively safe place to be. About as safe as any town if you really think about it. The only way to make sure you are absolutely, positively safe is to just not venture outside your house at all, but wait... accidents & break ins happen at home too...:-?

Guess maybe it is worth taking a risk and living life to it's fullest? ;) :)