PDA

View Full Version : Aquamira frontier pro filter

ATbound
12-15-2007, 08:50
Has anyone used this filter or heard how it works? I read about it on the aquamira site and don't understand how it is a non-pumping filter.

gearfreak
12-15-2007, 10:01
I assume that it's small pore size allows it to be "in-line" on a hydration system. At 3 microns (not 0.3 microns), I wouldn't be too comfortable with not using a chemical treatment as well. :cool:

bullseye
12-15-2007, 10:34
I have one right in front of me and the package ststes that it filters 99.9% of Giardi and Crypto, but a quick look on the CDC website states that a filter should be <1 micron and the frontier pro is a 3 micron filter as gearfreak stated. The frontier pro is a filter containing charcoal to help remove some chemicals and improve water taste. My guess is if it were >1 micron you'd have a tough time sucking water throuigh it.

All that being said, many people drink water untreated:eek: and don't get giardia, while others take all the precautions and get it:mad: . Most water sources along the AT are good, but not all. You have to be a little choosey when possible. The higher up a mountain the water source, usually (not always)the better the chances of avoiding the nasties. Moving water is better than not, etc. At the end of the day, it is my belief that if you hiked the entire AT with an "approved" filter you probably wouldn't get Giardia or Crypto, not because the filter did it's job, but because you weren't going to get it anyway. I'm told it's as much about your personal immunities as much as anything. I'm sure others will disagree.