PDA

View Full Version : atlanta amtrak, greyhound, airport

earthbound
12-15-2007, 11:55
If I fly into Atlanta, how easy is it to get to greyhound and amtrak? I know that there is both greyhound and amtrak and I would prefer amtrak, but I'd love to know how to get there from the airport. Also- can you bring stuff like your pocket knife, stove, and trekking poles on greyhound or amtrak? If you have any other cheap suggestions for getting to clemson, sc from atlanta that would be welcome as well. thank you

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-15-2007, 12:00
Here is some info on transporation options at the airport:
http://www.atlanta-airport.com/default.asp?url=http://www.atlanta-airport.com/sublevels/ground_transportation/amtrak.htm

kayak karl
12-15-2007, 12:02
i've taken my bike on amtrak. loss the knife. you can't fly with it. buy one when u get there. have a safe & fun trip.
http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/am2Copy/Title_Image_Copy_Page&cid=1080080553878&c=am2Copy&ssid=43

Grampie
12-15-2007, 12:33
When I hiked in 2000 I flew into Atlanta. I took the MARTA train to the bus station than the bus to the AMTRAK station. I had no problem with anything in my pack on the train. I just carried it on and set it beside my seat. The train service from Atlanta to Gainsville only runs a couple times a day. That may not be your best bet. I would look into one of the shuttle providers rather than taking the train. I believe that there is a hostel in Dahlonega that will provide a ride, a place to spend the night and a ride to the trail. If I did it again I would look into that. Happy trails.:sun

Appalachian Tater
12-15-2007, 17:14
If you are trying to get to the trail from Hartsfield, your best bet is to arrange for the nice people at the Hiker Hostel in Dahlongega to pick you up at the northernmost MARTA station, put you up for the night, feed you breakfast and take you to the trail.

If you are trying to get to Clemson from Hartsfield using public transportation, take MARTA to the bus station downtown.

smaaax
12-15-2007, 17:16
Greyhound has never looked at my checked baggage. Occasionally they will check you and your carry-ons, but they just chuck the bag under the bus.

I have had a full pack a few times, and have seen other people with them, and haven't encountered any problems. Their main concern is what you are bringing onto the bus.

ARambler
12-15-2007, 19:09
Greyhound has never looked at my checked baggage. Occasionally they will check you and your carry-ons, but they just chuck the bag under the bus.

I have had a full pack a few times, and have seen other people with them, and haven't encountered any problems. Their main concern is what you are bringing onto the bus.

I don't carry fuel on public transportation. I usually carry butane lighters on the bus, and they are now allowing them again on planes.

You should arange a shuttle from the Hiker Hostel (you will take MARTA through downtown to the north side of town and meet them at the end of the line. Marta is better, but slightly smaller than BART, for the best public transportation.)
Rambler

Ron Haven
12-15-2007, 21:22
If you are trying to get to the trail from Hartsfield, your best bet is to arrange for the nice people at the Hiker Hostel in Dahlongega to pick you up at the northernmost MARTA station, put you up for the night, feed you breakfast and take you to the trail.

If you are trying to get to Clemson from Hartsfield using public transportation, take MARTA to the bus station downtown.Sly may be doing some shuttles around Atlanta this coming year also.